Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:34 PM

Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects (24374 Views)

Ooni Performs Ifa Festival Where Kolanut Is Mysteriously Swallowed By Ground(piƧ / Emir Zubairu Gwari To Subjects In Kaduna: "Defend Yourselves" / 'God Is The King Of Kings'; Ooni Of Ife Joins Christians For Prayers. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by sketcherJ(m): 1:59pm On Feb 05, 2016
OSI a north western town which was established over 200 years ago in ondo state in Nigeria is home to different kinds of cultural practices and traditions, since the majority of people based in the land are of the Yourba tribe, they carry out general Yoruba cultural practices like new yam festival, egungun festival etc.

But one preeminent, primitive and most controversial practice of all which is only peculiar to Osi and ipetu-ijesha is the Opa festival..(cane festival)

Opa festival does not involve rituals or making of sacrifices unto any idol, this is why throngs participate in the ceremony. It is all about singing and dancing while some physically fit men and women voluntarily flog each other on their back; the young and the old engage in severe flogging of each other to mark the clearing of the bush for cultivation. Strong young men see it as an exercise while many people see it as a torturous festival.
Now when we are talking about caning, we don't mean play acting, this is a festival where you are seriously caned with fat or thin steady canes to test your courage and endurance, to see if you are really fit to be called a Son and daughter of the land..

The king and cheifs are not left out of this festival , they are free to beat any subjects but they don't get beaten...seriously, you want to beat a king?...

In an interview with the king when he was asked why in this jet age do they still carry out this primitive activities, he said " It is a festival we got from our forefathers which is compulsory for Osi indegenes both home and abroad because it answers prayers,makes pregnant women gives birth easily, it heals and a great protective sheild against all types of physical and spiritual diseases, that is why we love doing it"

Well, thanking God that I am not an indegene of osi town,(winks) but if the sons and daughters of the land aren't complaining, if they enjoy what they do who are we to complain?

So next time you feel like visiting a new place,going on a excursion, or you want to test your endurance spirit, Osi might just be the best place for you and God help you, it might be the time when they are celebrating the
Opa festival.

P.S : please don't mind the bad quality pictures, they are the only ones available for now.

Source:
http://dandywriter..com/2016/02/the-festival-where-king-beats-subjects.html?m=1

Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by Motherfucker2: 6:37pm On Feb 08, 2016
Bhjjhbb

2 Likes

Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by moscobabs(m): 6:37pm On Feb 08, 2016
n

1 Like

Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by Nobody: 6:37pm On Feb 08, 2016
End time festival !!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by missionmex(m): 6:38pm On Feb 08, 2016
Wickedness lipsrsealed
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by kennyman200(m): 6:38pm On Feb 08, 2016
Hmmmmm... In this jet age. Backwardness.. Only God knows if those people have ever heard of Google in their life. Uncivilised set of people.

2 Likes

Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by Nobody: 6:38pm On Feb 08, 2016
What a barbaric culture. Absolutely Disgusting. They are right up there with islam on my disgust scale lipsrsealed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by rasmico(m): 6:39pm On Feb 08, 2016
Omo na me bis ? Second 2 comment ?
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by blackjack21(m): 6:39pm On Feb 08, 2016
Op, wait lemme go and bring my koboko too.
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by Innodon(m): 6:39pm On Feb 08, 2016
Is allright
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by brownjulie(f): 6:39pm On Feb 08, 2016
very funny, Cain festival indeed

1 Like

Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by SylarsMcQuins: 6:39pm On Feb 08, 2016
Came to check the region buh was surprised, guess they beat the North to this...

3 Likes

Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by timilehin007(m): 6:39pm On Feb 08, 2016
Gk
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by alienvirus: 6:40pm On Feb 08, 2016
Alape festival. The only make use of a single type of long cane. You must wear jeans though to participate.
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by donbrowser(m): 6:40pm On Feb 08, 2016
I love dis kinda festival... Free flogging, only the strongest will last.

Btw OP i thought Ondo is in South-West how come u wrote North-west there.
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by Wendyslim(f): 6:40pm On Feb 08, 2016
Kk
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by blackjack21(m): 6:40pm On Feb 08, 2016
Motherfucker2:
Bhjjhbb
mutha! which kind space booking be this.
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by princeonx: 6:40pm On Feb 08, 2016
rasmico:
Omo na me bis ? Second 2 comment ?
Olodo lol

2 Likes

Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by ayowole21(m): 6:42pm On Feb 08, 2016
so...I will stand jejely...and one idiot will flog me
with cane...
I will change it for them
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by Bluezy13(m): 6:42pm On Feb 08, 2016
" The king and cheifs are not left out of this festival , they are free to beat any subjects but they don't get beaten...seriously, you want to beat a king?..."

Hehehe...
I can imagine that
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by menix(m): 6:42pm On Feb 08, 2016
How I wish Mynd44 nd I come from that axis, by now I for done buy beta cane put am better juju wey I go take flog evil spirit comot from him Body..

3 Likes

Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by Spidermon: 6:42pm On Feb 08, 2016
If they were a group banging ceremony now, it would have made more sense...
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by eagleonearth(m): 6:44pm On Feb 08, 2016
missionmex:
Wickedness lipsrsealed
LOOOL
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by Bluezy13(m): 6:44pm On Feb 08, 2016
Vanquay:
What a barbaric culture. Absolutely Disgusting. They are right up there with islam on my disgust scale lipsrsealed

That's your headache...
They are not complaining

3 Likes

Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by bdemix(m): 6:44pm On Feb 08, 2016
Nkan Nbe
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by Nobody: 6:46pm On Feb 08, 2016
How will this increase my bank account from #1352 to $100000000000000000
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by yemmight(m): 6:46pm On Feb 08, 2016
Ojo yen ni Oba ma wo Aja.
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by Bluezy13(m): 6:46pm On Feb 08, 2016
Motherfucker2:
Bhjjhbb
[n]
First-to-comment] Strugglers.
Hehehe...
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by Nobody: 6:46pm On Feb 08, 2016
Castrated set of buffons
Re: Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects by cosmicrayboi(m): 6:47pm On Feb 08, 2016
but i dont see any cane undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beautiful Photos From Alaafin Of Oyo's Naming Ceremony(photos) / Number Of Languages By Country / Abubakar Waziri Mahdi Is Dead & Buried (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.