Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) (39821 Views)

Nigerian Woman Delivers Sextuplets (3 Boys, 3 Girls) After 17 Years Of Marriage / 83-Day-Old Marriage Dissolved In Ibadan / Ngu Nebuchadnezzar Returns From Russia After 36 Years (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by ijustdey: 6:35pm On Feb 05, 2016
An 83-year-old man, Sule Yusuf, says he has been sleeping under the Oshodi Bridge in Lagos State since 1999 after losing contact with his family.

Yusuf, who hails from Igboora, Oyo State, and claimed to have retired from the Nigerian Army, told PUNCH Metro
that after he retired, he lost contact with his wife and children, but decided to stay put in Lagos.

Our correspondent gathered that the octogenarian had been spared during constant raids of the area by policemen after he explained to them that he was a retired soldier and his family members had allegedly deserted him.

It was learnt that Yusuf, who once worked as a security man at the Mosafejo Motor Park, was relieved of his duty a few years ago because of old age.

Our correspondent gathered that the 83-year-old, after he reportedly retired from the army in 1979, had moved to the Makoko, Yaba area of Lagos, until his rent expired and he was asked to vacate his apartment.
It was learnt that Yusuf had been staying in the Mosafejo Motor Park during the day, and had been sleeping under the Oshodi Bridge.

When our correspondent spoke with Yusuf on Thursday, the retiree said he last saw his wife, Beatrice, and his two children – Morili and Jimoh – around 1999 before they relocated to Owerri, Imo State, where his wife hailed from.

Yusuf said he wanted to be reunited with his family members and needed some financial help to live a better life.

He said, “I joined the Nigerian Army in 1967. When I left in 1979, my last place of service was at the cantonment in Adekunle Fajuyi, Ibadan, Oyo State. I met my wife when I served in Owerri, Imo State, and we had the two kids.

“She returned with the children to her hometown in Owerri in 1999. I was in Makoko, Yaba, till I packed out when I could not pay the rent. So, I moved to Oshodi. I was collecting my pensions from the army until I lost my ID card in the park.

“I retired from the army as a staff sergeant. I was usually given N12,000 monthly as pension. I used to sell herbs in the motor park area. Selling herbs was my father’s handiwork. So, I returned to it after misplacing my ID card.

“Since I got to Oshodi, I have not had anyone personally taking care of me except God. When I stopped selling herbs, the union executives assisted me by making me a security man in the park.

“But since that 1999, I have been sleeping under the bridge. I have been sleeping there for about 17 years. I need to see my family again. I need to be helped out of this situation.

“When the taskforce policemen raided the Oshodi area, they saw me, and I approached one of their commanders and explained my situation to him. He said his men should leave me alone. I do not have money to rent any house again. I want the government to help me. I do not have any sickness. I am not taking any injection. I only need help,” he added.

The Assistant Secretary of the Mosafejo Motor Park, Hamzat Sanusi, said the octogenarian was allowed to stay in the park because they saw the military ID card on him before he misplaced it.

Sanusi added that it was the union which had been bearing the burden of Yusuf’s survival.

He said, “He used to have a military ID card. We know him very well. But since he lost that card, he had not been given any entitlement. He claimed to have worked as a military officer.

“Sometimes, he drinks and smokes because of lack of family care. Since he had served the government, we think the government should rise to his plight.”

www.punchng.com/83-year-old-retiree-sleeps-under-bridge-for-17-years/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Nobody: 6:36pm On Feb 05, 2016
In spite of my challenges o God, I can never thank you enough for shelter, food, clothing and a family to call my own.

Life has 2 sides, it turns its rosy side to some and thorns to others.

Daddy yusuf, help will reach u soon sir.

195 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by T4taiwo(m): 6:39pm On Feb 05, 2016
Pathetic

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 05, 2016

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by kilokeys(m): 6:42pm On Feb 05, 2016
If he lost ID card.. Did he loose his service number? angry

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 05, 2016
Sigh! He does not deserve this after serving the nation though.

9 Likes

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Nobody: 7:12pm On Feb 05, 2016
No children?

Edit:

Okay so I've read the story. Sad one, only in Nigeria.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by armadeo(m): 7:12pm On Feb 05, 2016
Lies.

The last paragraph showed that he is a no good drunkard.

Sometimes he drinks and smokes because of lack of family care. Unrepentant drunkard.

Am suretyhe family abandoned him due to his activities and here is is lying against them.

How hard is it for the park to transport you to your family.

Lying at such an age tell a lot about you old soldier

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Viktor1983(m): 7:13pm On Feb 05, 2016
Nigeria. I hail thee
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by eluquenson(m): 7:13pm On Feb 05, 2016
Hmm, so sad to see fellow human suffering

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by nerodenero: 7:14pm On Feb 05, 2016
May we not spend our old age in this manner, amen. As for the old man, I pray for help for him asap.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by amedino(m): 7:14pm On Feb 05, 2016

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by PapaBrowne(m): 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2016
Lets use the interesting power of social media to make a difference in this man's life. Not Just for the sake of it but to show that we can use Nairaland to achieve good things.

These are his words:
I do not have money to rent any house again. I want the government to help me. I do not have any sickness. I am not taking any injection. I only need help,” he added.

We can change his story. We can use him as a starting point for expressing the power to do good that we wield as a people of social media.

My recommendation is simple.
We start out an old folks home with him as the first member. There are loads of old folks like him suffering with no family to turn to.
All we need is to rent a place and provide the basics for living. We get volunteers from churches & mosques to take care of these folks and provide the care they need.

It would cost a lot. Probably a couple hundreds of thousands. With collaboration, we can raise whatever is required. If 1000 if us put up 1k each, we would have 1m already. And that would go more than a long way.

I don't know if I am making any sense but I am pretty passionate about using the collaborative power of social media to achieve good in society. And I feel we can start out with any story. And this old man's story is a good one.

If you think this is possible, show support by commenting and sharing your ideas on how to achieve this.

For me, for every like this post gets, I will be giving 200 Naira towards this old man's welfare. That is 200 Naira let like. 20,000 Naira for 100 likes. And yes, 200,000 for 1000 likes. And I mean every word if it.

232 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by SylarsMcQuins: 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2016
So sad, its better late than never.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by TechsNG: 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2016
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by SmartMugu: 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2016
Losing an ID card should not translate to any big deal in an organized nation. That's just a piece of paper or plastic. It's 2016, why would losing a mere ID translate to him not getting his pension?

1 Like

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Buhdeuce: 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2016
kilokeys:

How old are you

9 Likes

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by YelloweWest: 7:19pm On Feb 05, 2016
Na wa oh. See suffer cry
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by refiner(f): 7:19pm On Feb 05, 2016
may God heed to his plea!....Amen!!

1 Like

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by YelloweWest: 7:19pm On Feb 05, 2016
kilokeys:
Its because of people like you that's why this man is suffering. sad

4 Likes

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by SkinnyDude(m): 7:21pm On Feb 05, 2016
Buhdeuce:

How old are you
he's actually making sense

4 Likes

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Mandyjosh: 7:21pm On Feb 05, 2016
I kno d man in makoko,dem cal am old soldier.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by OkwuruOKARISIA(m): 7:23pm On Feb 05, 2016
Thats one thing wit most military men,extravagant spending,he invested on nothing while he was working,anyway i pray he get reunited wit his family as i consider it to be the highest need for him now,and financial help as well.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by YelloweWest: 7:23pm On Feb 05, 2016
SkinnyDude:
he's actually making sense
What sense is he making? What if the old man can't remember?
What if he tried to get his id replaced but no one would attend to him? You know how Nigeria is.
May dad lost all his documentation is south Africa as a retired diplomat. It took years for him to establish himself as a foreign retired officer even though he met some of his colleagues still in the ministry of foreign affairs.

5 Likes

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by danidee10(m): 7:23pm On Feb 05, 2016
kilokeys:

Don't blame him....even bubu can't remember his own phone number at 72

8 Likes

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Etizz: 7:23pm On Feb 05, 2016
The reason why am working hard and planning not to end up in such manner

1 Like

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by boolet: 7:24pm On Feb 05, 2016
There is more to dis story..

1 Like

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by truthspeaks: 7:24pm On Feb 05, 2016
Meanwhile, sum civil servant cld be collecting his pension
SmartMugu:
Losing an ID card should not translate to any big deal in an organized nation. That's just a piece of paper or plastic. It's 2016, why would losing a mere ID translate to him not getting his pension?
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by danidee10(m): 7:24pm On Feb 05, 2016
Not every mad looking person is mad
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by wristbangle: 7:25pm On Feb 05, 2016
Adufetohposh:
Sigh! He does not deserve this after serving the nation though.

It's pity that we don't respect those who served the nation well instead those buffoons are paying homage to those who are wrecking the nation dry. cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Missing Pregnant Woman In Abuja Found (See Photos) / Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) / Man Marries Woman Impregnated By Her Lover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.