Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,251 members, 7,807,855 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! (47304 Views)

This Is What I Wore To Interview Today. / We Solved WAEC Questions In A Job Interview Today / Workforce Invites For Interview Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Nobody: 6:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
I got a call from one of the telecom companies yesterday afternoon regarding an application I put in as far back as November last year. Anyway... Fast-forward to the interview. I woke up very early and prayed, cleanup and get set. Tho I'm a self employed software developer but who wouldn't want to work with a big telecom company or any government offer? I applied for Web Developer position and when I got there... I met about 5 other applicants; it took forever for the GM to show up since the HR teams said they can't proceed with interview without the authority of the GM. Since 8:30am when I got there... The GM didn't show up until 12:15pm...Well, I still didn't mind cuz I was enjoying the AC and free WiFi. All thanks to the front desk lady who gave me the WiFi password cool cheesy I was already crushing on the bae and hoping to y'knw get close once I get employed haha wink.... OK... Fast forward to GM arrival.
The GM checked the list of invitees and gave the HR greenlight to interview us. We were given a very technical online timed test and somehow it was just 2 out of 6 of us that made it to the interview stage cuz after the test, they told me and one other dude to wait behind while they told the other guys that they appreciate their interest blah blah blah we will call u talks (discharging them)
The HR team interviewed the last 2 standing and we both made it past the interview stage and then we were taken to the GM's office for final stage.

GM: Oh just two of you made it here...

Me & Guy: Yes sir

GM: Ok so do you have any past projects done by You? I want to see your past works on Web Development.

Guy: I didn't come along with my flash drive sir, I was hoping we would have our competency tested on company's system.

Me:.... Silent as I watch guy trying to bail himself out of the rope thrown to his neck!

GM: Oh you are not serious... You mean you never have a thought of coming along with you past projects? You wanted to convince us verbally? Oh no we don't work like that here... Go get your past project and come back next time.

(that leaves me as the last man standing meanwhile I have turned on my laptop and started digging out all the websites I built for people and all Web application jobs I ve done in the past from Java to php to ASP. Net and html css)

GM: Young man I see you are all set to present your competency. Let me see what you have to offer

Me: moved closer to his desk and showed him my works and he was quiet impressed. He called someone from the software support department to come and check me out and the dude asked me alot of questions you wouldn't know if you are not used to Web applications development just to know if I am truly who I say I am.

GM: Ok we have an on going project and I'll be glad if you can assist the software support department in executing the project cuz we don't have time.

Me: It'll be my honor sir. I have always have passion for software development and it would be a plus to exhibit my capability for this company

GM: so I'm sure you want big money for salary now

Me: I care more about skills and experience sir. Money will come anyway

GM: (he became very free and less official) We actually need 2 people but with your works so far I'm sure you can do both jobs cuz we need graphic designer and Web Developer and most of your websites comes with photoshopped graphic designs with the slides. I hope the owner of those jobs paid you well. You must be a big man ooo

Me: (Felt comfortable and lose guard my official mode thinking we were just gisting). Most of those clients don't pay me good, I didn't enjoy working for them

(Na so the man change everything for me and everything went 360 in a blink of an eye)

GM: Haha so that's how you will say someday that our company don't pay good and u don't enjoy working for us...

(Well, the rest is history...) he already had the Secretary preparing my employment papers so I can start on Monday but he halted everything and called the HR department in front of me informing them to source for a new Web Developer. The rest is history...

Lesson : Regardless how excited or confident you feel during a job interview, Do NOT EVER EVER tarnish your past employers or clients even if they made you go thru hell, just lie that you enjoyed them and wish you were still there....

Well I came back home in A very depressed mood and I thought I should help a potentially vulnerable person not to make such mistake.

I hope I feel a bit better after pouring my heart out.

640 Likes 66 Shares

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by mtor: 6:43pm On Feb 05, 2016
Sorry man yes never ever tarnish past contact always have positives to say. Though that GM though was strigent hmm obviously his recruitment policy
You are good definitely will get something else.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Oladimejy(m): 6:44pm On Feb 05, 2016
Okay

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by rollUP(m): 6:47pm On Feb 05, 2016
Pele bro. for u to be the last man standing means u a badass. Better opportunity ahead. Lesson learnt.

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Kookny(m): 6:49pm On Feb 05, 2016
Quite unfortunate mehn... Could happen to anybody

You just saved a soul from missing out on job opportunity

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by adonismuller(m): 6:52pm On Feb 05, 2016
Even from your write up one will easily decode you are the over confident type,and along the line you added excitement....

That's what happens when you are already self employed and still wana work for someone instead of developing your own self to clinch the one who employs....

Wish you gudluck in ur next quest.....

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by moshoodable: 6:54pm On Feb 05, 2016
The simple lesson learnt is to be consistent and never say or give bad comments as regards your past or present employer during interview.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by VampireeM(f): 6:56pm On Feb 05, 2016
IMO, the MD went too far with his action and thats quite strict! I guesss its either the job wasnt meant for you or the witches in your village were having serious meeting on top your matter grin

Ve faith and believe that a better job offer is on the way as you ve learnt your lesson

89 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Sanchez01: 6:57pm On Feb 05, 2016
Ouch! That was way close. Sometimes, some of the so-called comedy clips online serve educational purposes. Please, kindly find time to download "FRANK DONGA's" (his name in the skits) clips on Youtube. Tarnishing the reputation of past employers before a potential new one is a way of saying "I'll do the same to you, it's only a matter of time".

This is obviously one lesson learnt and most "technical" advisers on Nairalander have never focused on this angle. I hope you get a positive and better experience cum interview soonest.

15 Likes

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by eluquenson(m): 6:58pm On Feb 05, 2016
The job isn't yours, but next time you don't rubbish your past employers but rather say you are hoping for a better challenge and opportunities

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Sanchez01: 7:00pm On Feb 05, 2016
VampireeM:
IMO, the MD went too far with his action and thats quite strict! I guesss its either the job wasnt meant for you or the witches in your village were having serious meeting on top your matter grin

Ve faith and believe that a better job offer is on the way as you ve learnt your lesson
I guess this is your way of saying "he wasn't destined to get the job" It is high time people moved past predestination when judging some things. Trust me, you could lose what is meant for you and still blame it on predestination. That another opportunity presents itself does not mean the latter is better and pre-ordained.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Dinocarex(m): 7:03pm On Feb 05, 2016
Sorry bro cry
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Nobody: 7:20pm On Feb 05, 2016
I knew this was going to hit FP

But this land at your own peril
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by forghon: 7:21pm On Feb 05, 2016
it shall be well God made ur way there nd many ways better than the one u missed will flow' but wat abt if u'd say u enjoyed d previous employer the GM will now burn face nd say okay go nd continue working for dem

4 Likes

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Bishiie(m): 7:33pm On Feb 05, 2016
Good lesson here bro. Always have positive mind about your past employer
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by OCTAVO: 7:36pm On Feb 05, 2016
Ok
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by elektois: 7:36pm On Feb 05, 2016
Thanks so much for the piece, I'm so sorry for the outcome of the interview. God in his magnanimity will open another door for a better job.
My tots*** this cud be me making d same mistake****

2 Likes

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by macaranta(m): 7:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
Ok
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by falseman(m): 7:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
Bros don't waste your time with this people focus on what you are doing personally one day that same GM will ask for your contact. I hate where employers take advantage of employees. If you can do the job you are worth the pay.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Frank3n2(m): 7:41pm On Feb 05, 2016
Go home and pray then put a mail to them reinstating your commitment to work for them. Good luck.

11 Likes

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by LaurelP(m): 7:47pm On Feb 05, 2016
Very true.
And don't be too relaxed until you leave the company premises.
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by NiGeRianTr0ll(m): 7:49pm On Feb 05, 2016
I don't need a job, my father is rich. My grandfather is a Prince...My Family is Royalty...Now BOW down to the Heir to the ******** Business...Yeah, life is good...OP goodluck.

All I need is a Medical degree or Law then build continue building an EMPIRE
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by adonbilivit: 7:49pm On Feb 05, 2016
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Richie0974: 7:50pm On Feb 05, 2016
Gosh!! That was close.... Dammit

1 Like

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by LivingDiamond(m): 7:51pm On Feb 05, 2016
Gosh! Now i see d reason why our pastor asked us to pray against d spirit of "Almost there" sometimes ago...I pray for all dat we shall never miss it at the edge of breakthrough. Amen!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Nobody: 7:51pm On Feb 05, 2016
Talkative

2 Likes

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by siegfried99(m): 7:51pm On Feb 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by sholay2011(m): 7:52pm On Feb 05, 2016
VampireeM:

I agree with this.
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by bdemix(m): 7:55pm On Feb 05, 2016
Make I go read my book oooo

1 Like

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Omololu007(m): 7:55pm On Feb 05, 2016
J
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by kennyman2000(m): 7:55pm On Feb 05, 2016
Hmmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Give Up On Job Hunt. I Received Two Regret Mails Same Day / Graduate Trainees At AOS Orwell / Is Going To London To Hustle Better Than An 80k Job In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.