Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! (47305 Views)

This Is What I Wore To Interview Today. / We Solved WAEC Questions In A Job Interview Today / Workforce Invites For Interview Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by samuelchimmy(m): 9:49pm On Feb 05, 2016
jayhumble:
I got a call from one of the telecom companies yesterday afternoon regarding an application I put in as far back as November last year. Anyway... Fast-forward to the interview. I woke up very early and prayed, cleanup and get set. Tho I'm a self employed software developer but who wouldn't want to work with a big telecom company or any government offer? I applied for Web Developer position and when I got there... I met about 5 other applicants; it took forever for the GM to show up since the HR teams said they can't proceed with interview without the authority of the GM. Since 8:30am when I got there... The GM didn't show up until 12:15pm...Well, I still didn't mind cuz I was enjoying the AC and free WiFi. All thanks to the front desk lady who gave me the WiFi password cool cheesy I was already crushing on the bae and hoping to y'knw get close once I get employed haha wink.... OK... Fast forward to GM arrival.
The GM checked the list of invitees and gave the HR greenlight to interview us. We were given a very technical online timed test and somehow it was just 2 out of 6 of us that made it to the interview stage cuz after the test, they told me and one other dude to wait behind while they told the other guys that they appreciate their interest blah blah blah we will call u talks (discharging them)
The HR team interviewed the last 2 standing and we both made it past the interview stage and then we were taken to the GM's office for final stage.

GM: Oh just two of you made it here...

Me & Guy: Yes sir

GM: Ok so do you have any past projects done by You? I want to see your past works on Web Development.

Guy: I didn't come along with my flash drive sir, I was hoping we would have our competency tested on company's system.

Me:.... Silent as I watch guy trying to bail himself out of the rope thrown to his neck!

GM: Oh you are not serious... You mean you never have a thought of coming along with you past projects? You wanted to convince us verbally? Oh no we don't work like that here... Go get your past project and come back next time.

(that leaves me as the last man standing meanwhile I have turned on my laptop and started digging out all the websites I built for people and all Web application jobs I ve done in the past from Java to php to ASP. Net and html css)

GM: Young man I see you are all set to present your competency. Let me see what you have to offer

Me: moved closer to his desk and showed him my works and he was quiet impressed. He called someone from the software support department to come and check me out and the dude asked me alot of questions you wouldn't know if you are not used to Web applications development just to know if I am truly who I say I am.

GM: Ok we have an on going project and I'll be glad if you can assist the software support department in executing the project cuz we don't have time.

Me: It'll be my honor sir. I have always have passion for software development and it would be a plus to exhibit my capability for this company

GM: so I'm sure you want big money for salary now

Me: I care more about skills and experience sir. Money will come anyway

GM: (he became very free and less official) We actually need 2 people but with your works so far I'm sure you can do both jobs cuz we need graphic designer and Web Developer and most of your websites comes with photoshopped graphic designs with the slides. I hope the owner of those jobs paid you well. You must be a big man ooo

Me: (Felt comfortable and lose guard my official mode thinking we were just gisting). Most of those clients don't pay me good, I didn't enjoy working for them

(Na so the man change everything for me and everything went 360 in a blink of an eye)

GM: Haha so that's how you will say someday that our company don't pay good and u don't enjoy working for us...

(Well, the rest is history...) he already had the Secretary preparing my employment papers so I can start on Monday but he halted everything and called the HR department in front of me informing them to source for a new Web Developer. The rest is history...

Lesson : Regardless how excited or confident you feel during a job interview, Do NOT EVER EVER tarnish your past employers or clients even if they made you go thru hell, just lie that you enjoyed them and wish you were still there....

Well I came back home in A very depressed mood and I thought I should help a potentially vulnerable person not to make such mistake.

I hope I feel a bit better after pouring my heart out.

chai! So na so the bird take fly commot for ur hand?
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by millhouse: 9:56pm On Feb 05, 2016
Hia
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by muzeze77: 9:57pm On Feb 05, 2016
Don't stress yourself, he never wanted to give u the job in the first place, if a man is looking for skeletons he will surely find one, he was just looking for an excuse to say no, if a manager wants to give u a job, u will fail all questions and u will still get it, my first job I failed all questions that was asked in interview that the man gave me arithmetic (lcm) to do, a whole Uniben graduate like myself, I did it and got the job, forget hold your head high, other managers would have been appreciative that you are a sincere person

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Akanbiedu(m): 9:59pm On Feb 05, 2016
muzeze77:
Don't stress yourself, he never wanted to give u the job in the first place, if a man is looking for skeletons he will surely find one, he was just looking for an excuse to say no, if a manager wants to give u a job, u will fail all questions and u will still get it, my first job I failed all questions that was asked in interview that the man gave me arithmetic (lcm) to do, a whole Uniben graduate like myself, I did it and got the job, forget hold your head high, other managers would have been appreciative that you are a sincere person

Yeah. I think the GM is motivated by something else. Too harsh.
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by chichriso: 10:05pm On Feb 05, 2016
very unfortunate
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by muzeze77: 10:07pm On Feb 05, 2016
Akanbiedu:

Yeah. I think the GM is motivated by something else. Too harsh.

Continue doing a good job, upgrade yourself to java and u will get something better
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Oghumu1(m): 10:08pm On Feb 05, 2016
thanks for the write ups blad.. when asked about my past work with my clients too by a pro in graphics designer, I told him same thing u said but I didn't notice I wasn't saying the right thing. I've learnt from u. I really appreciate
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Akanbiedu(m): 10:17pm On Feb 05, 2016
muzeze77:

Continue doing a good job, upgrade yourself to java and u will get something better

Actually, the Op doesn't sound like he needs the GM, its the other way round.

Op should just continue doing what he knows how to do.
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by highmood(m): 10:18pm On Feb 05, 2016
jayhumble:
I got a call from one of the telecom companies yesterday afternoon regarding an application I put in as far back as November last year. Anyway... Fast-forward to the interview. I woke up very early and prayed, cleanup and get set. Tho I'm a self employed software developer but who wouldn't want to work with a big telecom company or any government offer? I applied for Web Developer position and when I got there... I met about 5 other applicants; it took forever for the GM to show up since the HR teams said they can't proceed with interview without the authority of the GM. Since 8:30am when I got there... The GM didn't show up until 12:15pm...Well, I still didn't mind cuz I was enjoying the AC and free WiFi. All thanks to the front desk lady who gave me the WiFi password cool cheesy I was already crushing on the bae and hoping to y'knw get close once I get employed haha wink.... OK... Fast forward to GM arrival.
The GM checked the list of invitees and gave the HR greenlight to interview us. We were given a very technical online timed test and somehow it was just 2 out of 6 of us that made it to the interview stage cuz after the test, they told me and one other dude to wait behind while they told the other guys that they appreciate their interest blah blah blah we will call u talks (discharging them)
The HR team interviewed the last 2 standing and we both made it past the interview stage and then we were taken to the GM's office for final stage.

GM: Ok so do you have any past projects done by You? I want to see your past works on Web Development.

Guy: I didn't come along with my flash drive sir, I was hoping we would have our competency tested on company's system.

Me:.... Silent as I watch guy trying to bail himself out of the rope thrown to his neck!

GM: Oh you are not serious... You mean you never have a thought of coming along with you past projects? You wanted to convince us verbally? Oh no we don't work like that here... Go get your past project and come back next time.

(that leaves me as the last man standing meanwhile I have turned on my laptop and started digging out all the websites I built for people and all Web application jobs I ve done in the past from Java to php to ASP. Net and html css)

GM: Young man I see you are all set to present your competency. Let me see what you have to offer

Me: moved closer to his desk and showed him my works and he was quiet impressed. He called someone from the software support department to come and check me out and the dude asked me alot of questions you wouldn't know if you are not used to Web applications development just to know if I am truly who I say I am.

GM: Ok we have an on going project and I'll be glad if you can assist the software support department in executing the project cuz we don't have time.

Me: It'll be my honor sir. I have always have passion for software development and it would be a plus to exhibit my capability for this company

GM: (he became very free and less official) We actually need 2 people but with your works so far I'm sure you can do both jobs cuz we need graphic designer and Web Developer and most of your websites comes with photoshopped graphic designs with the slides. I hope the owner of those jobs paid you well. You must be a big man ooo

Me: (Felt comfortable and lose guard my official mode thinking we were just gisting). Most of those clients don't pay me good, I didn't enjoy working for them

(Na so the man change everything for me and everything went 360 in a blink of an eye)

GM: Haha so that's how you will say someday that our company don't pay good and u don't enjoy working for us...

(Well, the rest is history...) he already had the Secretary preparing my employment papers so I can start on Monday but he halted everything and called the HR department in front of me informing them to source for a new Web Developer. The rest is history...

Lesson : Regardless how excited or confident you feel during a job interview, Do NOT EVER EVER tarnish your past employers or clients even if they made you go thru hell, just lie that you enjoyed them and wish you were still there....

Well I came back home in A very depressed mood and I thought I should help a potentially vulnerable person not to make such mistake.

Guy I think I had almost same experience. I was the last man standing in an interview that involves Complex Data Processing using Advanced Excel. But for the fact I was over social(my thought though) with some members of staff when I am yet to be to be officially accepted, the MD saw me and with few questions, mehn, "na say gobe". So never be over social and never be too mean. Don't loose guard. Just know when to exhibit your social behaviors,
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Kikyben2(f): 10:32pm On Feb 05, 2016
But wetin u tok na true, dis people no dey pay wellas
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Nobody: 10:39pm On Feb 05, 2016
@jayhumle Always be truthful. There are certain "better" places you will go and they'll appreciate your honesty. Though job is scarce, no so-called employer deserves to be worshipped (they should be highly respected BUT NOT worshipped or else you will be ruined FOR LIFE). You did your best. It was not just your job. #honestypays
If it was an accounting firm (or any other honesty oriented fields for an instance) you will get the job INSTANTLY (especially where they know you told the truth). Unless you really bad mouthed your ex employers then I can say you got served. But if you only complained of the pay and deep within you, you know it's true? Just leave trash for lawma. GOD will give you a better one that you won't have to be dishonest.
To the rest people thinking he did an unwise thing this proverb is for you
"Wetin one pikin do we dem slap am, another one go do the same and dem go clap for am".
I have found myself in a similar situation and I was very very very well appreciated.
Anyway different strokes for different folks

1 Like

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Ups01(m): 10:44pm On Feb 05, 2016
jayhumble:

If i were you i would demonstrate persistence and re-apply for that same Job
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by ndcide(m): 10:45pm On Feb 05, 2016
Story... If your story is true, The MD/GM was a bit intimidated and was afraid he wouldn't be able to pay you well and keep you in the job. Period!!!!

Having looked at the quality of the job, he just looked for a way to let you go so he can think through. Look some of these employers fear that some people may not stay long enough especially if the pay is not worth it.

I think, that is the case.
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by obiaguna(m): 10:47pm On Feb 05, 2016
We learn from our mistakes everyday. Feel really sorry for you bro cos I definitely know that feeling. Hopefully you get another shot and thanks for sharing.
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Nobody: 10:48pm On Feb 05, 2016
ndcide:
Story... If your story is true, The MD/GM was a bit intimidated and was afraid he wouldn't be able to pay you well and keep you in the job. Period!!!!

Having looked at the quality of the job, he just looked for a way to let you go so he can think through. Look some of these employers fear that some people may not stay long enough especially if the pay is not worth it.

I think, that is the case.
this is the Best post ever. @jayhumble come and see for yourself

1 Like

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by nenergy(m): 10:50pm On Feb 05, 2016
That's rule #2, never bad-mouth a former employer. OP, no worry...you'll get another shot!
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by efficiencie(m): 10:59pm On Feb 05, 2016
Bro I love your care for the ignorant and the unlearned...but I dare say, that a man is better self-employed than working for someone who would count it nothing to exalt himself/herself to the GOD class! You already made your point known on the relevance of skill and competence over financial rewards and your valuation of your past clients which i expect to be nothing short of the truth, if I am to take your word for it, should not present to the GM an impression of someone who would portray a negative image of the firm in the nearer future...The labour market is always in excess supply and that is why these folks can talk and do whatever they like...in countries like the US where technical expertise is almost always in excess demand, the employee is often treated nobly though they may have ignoble traits...
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by kaziblake(f): 11:27pm On Feb 05, 2016
henryhemon:

He wasn't. You should be confident of your abilities that's not pride. The M. D was the one who was full of himself. So other workers don't have negative things to say about the company and M.D. still?
The md must be a proud man.
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by dmighty: 11:39pm On Feb 05, 2016
jayhumble:

Get set...They will call you back on Monday...The job is yours!
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Chimdiebere(m): 11:51pm On Feb 05, 2016
Guy, be strong ! Your story might mean something, either God wants to take you to an elevated level or he wants you to be an Employer of persons. After all, Bill Gates worked with IBM computers, then after a while, he created and designed Windows OS and showed IBM what he did, IBM thought he was dumb and foolish for doing that. Then after a while, IBM told him that his services were no longer needed, so Bill Gates left with his Windows but didn't give up his dreams ever! so when Windows started selling and many people were buying it, IBM now felt like they should bring back their own, since he worked with them before, they approached Bill Gates and asked him to come back and work for IBM, he refused! IBM said OK, instead of working for them , let them buy his OS and use for their computers, he didn't allow that! And now IBM is regretting their decision since then on why they sent Bill Gates away with all his ideas that'd have made them better. But look at today , Windows OS is the leading OS when it comes to Computers, even Apple computers were there before them , but you see the difference? you too can make it. just take this as a stepping stone to get what you're looking for in life. God bless.

2 Likes

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by fidrach(m): 12:20am On Feb 06, 2016
I had a similar experience close to this one. During the course of interview with one of the popular FMCG, I've answered all the questions thrown at me well, we negotiated salary to which the company agreed. ''One more question'' the employer said- can you work in any part of the country?
Me: Yes of course, I'm flexible.
Employer: Even in Maiduguri, Borno state?
Me: Pursed for a while, then continued... due to insurgency in the northern part of Nigeria, I would not like to work in the north but any where from middle belt down to southern Nigeria I would be ready to go.
Employer: Ok, we would get back to you.
After a period of two weeks or thereabout, the employer called me and said actually they were looking for someone that would work in the north, however, my cv was kept in their database for future opportunity in the south when they would contact me while in reality the job location was here in Lagos. msh
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by mykel25(m): 12:39am On Feb 06, 2016
Those employers will really want you to make a negative comment about your current company: just d way one kept asking why do you wanna leave your company with the pay you get considering we want to pay you less (tho I lied about d salary, thinking they wud want to pay nothing less than what I said) I just replied I love challenges and I want to work in an environment that I ll always have something new to develop myself on since I dislike monotonous jobs....she insisted there must be a reason! I paused and I acted like I wanna get one reason...I said Hmmmm nothing is bad about the company I enjoyed working with then...

1 Like

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by piagetskinner(m): 1:44am On Feb 06, 2016
Oh man! That moment when you're almost nailing it, and then something just goes wrong

Better luck
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Originalsly: 2:11am On Feb 06, 2016
Bro....every disappointment is for a good reason. If it weren't for the GM dropping you...then you would continue saying the same believing it would bring down your previous employers/customers but never realising that you are bringing down yourself. Do you now really think this is the first opportunity/job/customer you've lost because of the very words? I must commend you for swallowing your ego.... being man enough to blame yourself and not the GM....and above all being humble enough to come here and publicly share your experience so others can learn from it. I know you would now feel better.

1 Like

Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Olajoy: 2:59am On Feb 06, 2016
sorry bro. its life saving
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by stadora(f): 3:51am On Feb 06, 2016
hi, i sent u a pm, i ll like 2 get som info from u
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by sunshine1974(m): 6:21am On Feb 06, 2016
Just move on with ur life. A better opportunity will come. From d whole thing it looks as if u are good at what u do. Don't be sad, d job certainly isn't urs. Who knows may be something bad wld ve happened while on d job. Every disappointment is a blessing remember. The good Lord will remember u for good
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by banchuz: 6:31am On Feb 06, 2016
Sorry bro......lesson learnt
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by skedy1(m): 7:00am On Feb 06, 2016
adonismuller:
Even from your write up one will easily decode you are the over confident type,and along the line you added excitement....

That's what happens when you are already self employed and still wana work for someone instead of developing your own self to clinch the one who employs....

Wish you gudluck in ur next quest.....

You've so said it all!!!
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by Nobody: 7:21am On Feb 06, 2016
jayhumble:

your village people!!!
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by einsteino(m): 8:37am On Feb 06, 2016
Re: How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! by einsteino(m): 8:40am On Feb 06, 2016
See there is no need to regret, his actions insinuate he was hoping to place you on slave wages and feared what you may say in the future.. You spoke the damn truth, no employer would employ you if incompetent. They are not doing you any favours, you have to know that. Your salary is your worth, you work for it. I dont mince words when it comes to that cos the firm wouldnt also mince words whenever they feel you are disposable or a liability. I remember telling my present employer when negotiating salary, that his offer was ridiculously low and I rather be on the streets hustling. The heavens didnt fall when I said that, he only realised I knew my worth and would rather be on my own than working for peanuts. Afterall he didnt contribute a dime to my school fees and wouldnt be interested in employing me if I cant make him money. At the end we both reached a compromise and I got the job, if I diidnt get it, I wouldnt even have looked back... What matters is, be good at what you do, other offers would come. But always remember salary is a prison, you wouldnt amount to much till you go entrepreneurial.

I wouldnt be interested in getting slave wages in the name of getting a job at all cost, that is bullshit. Even a bricklayer has his price how much more a skilled personnel. That employer is taking advantage of our lawless labour industry and it is only because job seekers let desperation ruin their self worth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Give Up On Job Hunt. I Received Two Regret Mails Same Day / Graduate Trainees At AOS Orwell / Is Going To London To Hustle Better Than An 80k Job In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.