Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,560 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Who Else Does Copypasting? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Who Else Does Copypasting? (1833 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Else Does Copypasting? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Feb 06, 2016
I am a total noob in programming. I just started java two months ago. and I just realized, All I do is copy and paste now.

from the movies, programmers are portrayed as extreme typing machines who make annoying noises with their keyboard. and since I don't actually know any other programmer in real life, I am forced to ask, Am I the only one who copies lines of code that suits my methods from other people's code and code I've previously written?, changing variables and parameters . . . as opposed to typing out methods and functions?

Is this even normal?
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
Teempakguy:
I am a total noob in programming. I just started java two months ago. and I just realized, All I do is copy and paste now.

from the movies, programmers are portrayed as extreme typing machines who make annoying noises with their keyboard. and since I don't actually know any other programmer in real life, I am forced to ask, Am I the only one who copies lines of code that suits my methods from other people's code and code I've previously written?, changing variables and parameters . . . as opposed to typing out methods and functions?

Is this even normal?
There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. Its only human nature to copy someone else's work when we've only a faint idea of how a concept works.
With time you'd know what in those copied lines of code fit your end-result and learn how to adjust them to suit your taste.

You're on nairaland, the point of being a programmer here is that you can meet fellow programmers and share tips and ideas.

Your situation reminds me of when I first learned to touch type, I found myself quickly learning shortcuts to commands and implementing those as opposed to doing things the long way or typing them out.
I'm not a programmer by the way so can't help you past this advice given.
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by anetuno(m): 5:28pm On Feb 06, 2016
Absolutely normal, I am a big fan of copy and paste in coding but you can do it better by saving frequently used codes as snippets so that you can just reuse them with a single click.
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Booyakasha(f): 6:03pm On Feb 06, 2016
Teempakguy:

Is this even normal?
Hello skid... You are clearly a noob, maybe programming wasn't really meant for people like you... A programmer writes codes not copy codes... okay, my trolling skills are still on an amateur level.

I am currently learning C++ and i can tell you, imitating other people's code is a very bad conduct. The first step you should take in learning a programming language is to understand the theoretical concepts first. Do you wanna use people code forever bruh? or do you wanna write code that solve real life problems? you should know better skid... kids will always be kids...

*The trolling is strong with this one** grin
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by RobinHez(m): 8:48pm On Feb 06, 2016
No intending programmer does copy pasting.

All u need is a passion for it... Forget u're a beginner: start with little codes which are easy but cover the basics of the language u're learning. From then u start to enjoy it and then new ideas begin to pop in ur head.

Like when I started learning python (tho I dunno where I stand cuz it's been ages lipsrsealed) I kept writing short codes on about anything just to feel like a real programmer grin these things strengthen me so dat even the advanced codes others wrote, I could read them and try my best to replicate them without having to copy anything.

Remember the main aim of programming is to develop your computation skills, so don't think u'll become an expert in 1 day!
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by SUGARSON(m): 9:14pm On Feb 06, 2016
IT'S NOT ONLY YOU BRO.
BUT WE SHALL GET THERE ONEDAY!
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Nobody: 12:37am On Feb 07, 2016
RobinHez:
No intending programmer does copy pasting.

All u need is a passion for it... Forget u're a beginner: start with little codes which are easy but cover the basics of the language u're learning. From then u start to enjoy it and then new ideas begin to pop in ur head.

Like when I started learning python (tho I dunno where I stand cuz it's been ages lipsrsealed) I kept writing short codes on about anything just to feel like a real programmer grin these things strengthen me so dat even the advanced codes others wrote, I could read them and try my best to replicate them without having to copy anything.

Remember the main aim of programming is to develop your computation skills, so don't think u'll become an expert in 1 day!
Really?
After posting this question, I decided to post it on Quora too. but then I found that it had already been asked.
I think you'll find the answers interesting.

https://www.quora.com/Do-developers-copy-and-paste-code-from-others
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by RobinHez(m): 12:49am On Feb 07, 2016
Teempakguy:

Really?
After posting this question, I decided to post it on Quora too. but then I found that it had already been asked.

If u're serious about becoming a programmer.... Avoid copy-pasting others code. smiley

1 Like

Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Nobody: 1:25am On Feb 07, 2016
RobinHez:

If u're serious about becoming a programmer.... Avoid copy-pasting others code. smiley
Right . . . but then you have to tell me why I should listen to you, other than listen to literally every other programmer that has commented on this topic. Some of which have degrees in computer science, some of which are freelance developers, e.t.c.
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:45am On Feb 07, 2016
I believe that a level of copy and paste is expected. However it is frowned upon to copy and paste without knowing anything at all about the code you're copying and pasting. I'm not saying you should be an expert with said piece of code, but at least have an understanding of the function that the code performs and at least be able to that you get how it performs that function. This way, you can also have an understanding of how to tweak the code to suite your needs, because 9 times out of 10, using the code as is may not be appropriate for your objective.

I typically do not copy and paste code unless I'm refactoring. Also, after some time of doing any sort of programming, whether by typing or by copying and pasting, you gain an understanding what you need to input to get a desired output. And often times, you could just type straightforward without going through your old code to copy and paste.

For instance, you need to loop through something. You've written a similar loop before in another program. If you use the copy and paste, you would go searching for that program until you find it and go through the code for that particular loop statement. This could take some time. However, if you've copied and pasted it enough times, then you would have learned what it is you need input and can probably type out the loop statement faster than you can copy and paste old code.

Ideally, avoid copying and pasting trivial code (i.e. code you can easily or more quickly have typed out yourself). Also, avoid copying and pasting large pieces of code. It is much more difficult to maintain your program if your program depends on a large section of code that is not yours and that you barely understand. Copying and pasting, like everything else, requires judgement. That's all.

1 Like

Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Nobody: 2:06am On Feb 07, 2016
Booyakasha:

Hello skid... You are clearly a noob, maybe programming wasn't really meant for people like you... A programmer writes codes not copy codes... okay, my trolling skills are still on an amateur level.

I am currently learning C++ and i can tell you, imitating other people's code is a very bad conduct. The first step you should take in learning a programming language is to understand the theoretical concepts first. Do you wanna use people code forever bruh? or do you wanna write code that solve real life problems? you should know better skid... kids will always be kids...

*The trolling is strong with this one** grin
grin grin

you need to brush up on your sarcasm, brah.
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Nobody: 2:28am On Feb 07, 2016
ChinenyeN:
I believe that a level of copy and paste is expected. However it is frowned upon to copy and paste without knowing anything at all about the code you're copying and pasting. I'm not saying you should be an expert with said piece of code, but at least have an understanding of the function that the code performs and at least be able to that you get how it performs that function. This way, you can also have an understanding of how to tweak the code to suite your needs, because 9 times out of 10, using the code as is may not be appropriate for your objective.

I typically do not copy and paste code unless I'm refactoring. Also, after some time of doing any sort of programming, whether by typing or by copying and pasting, you gain an understanding what you need to input to get a desired output. And often times, you could just type straightforward without going through your old code to copy and paste.

For instance, you need to loop through something. You've written a similar loop before in another program. If you use the copy and paste, you would go searching for that program until you find it and go through the code for that particular loop statement. This could take some time. However, if you've copied and pasted it enough times, then you would have learned what it is you need input and can probably type out the loop statement faster than you can copy and paste old code.

Ideally, avoid copying and pasting trivial code (i.e. code you can easily or more quickly have typed out yourself). Also, avoid copying and pasting large pieces of code. It is much more difficult to maintain your program if your program depends on a large section of code that is not yours and that you barely understand. Copying and pasting, like everything else, requires judgement. That's all.

Okay, I think the misconception here is that the reason I copy and paste is because I don't actually know what to type/I don't know how to make the code work myself. but that is not the case. the case is that I'm simply too lazy to type it out myself. Things like declaring window frames, setting layouts . . . loops that I've written before . . . seriously . . . They happen to be very boring and they get in the way of me thinking. I actually understand code that I copy. the responsibility of having to type it out is what often bugs me.

take a look at this block of code. I can never type something like this thing out myself if I can get access to a previously typed text.

import java.awt.CheckboxMenuItem;
import java.awt.Color;
import java.awt.Dimension;
import java.awt.Font;
import java.awt.Menu;
import java.awt.MenuBar;
import java.awt.Toolkit;
import java.awt.event.ActionEvent;
import java.awt.event.ActionListener;
import java.awt.event.ItemEvent;
import java.awt.event.ItemListener;
import java.text.DecimalFormat;

import javax.swing.JButton;
import javax.swing.JFrame;
import javax.swing.JLabel;
import javax.swing.JOptionPane;
import javax.swing.JPanel;
import javax.swing.JTextField;

or this . . .

public class Example extends JFrame implements ActionListener,ItemListener,MouseListener, {

private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;

//and so on . . .
}

and Yes, I realize the first example is bad because I could have easily used an asterisk. but I like seeing a lot of code on my screen without actually writing much. I guess I realized how weird my motives were. hence the question I asked.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by RobinHez(m): 8:16am On Feb 07, 2016
Teempakguy:
Right . . . but then you have to tell me why I should listen to you, other than listen to literally every other programmer that has commented on this topic. Some of which have degrees in computer science, some of which are freelance developers, e.t.c.
Do what u're comfortable with.... But always remember there's a difference between short-run and long-run!

Why u have to listen to me? No tangible reason....cuz i dont seem to have a degree in computer science like those guys nor am I a freelance developer... smiley
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Booyakasha(f): 9:12am On Feb 07, 2016
RobinHez:

lol... stop posting poor content bro, don't follow me, i was just trolling, every programmer (at least the few good ones i know) copy and pastes codes that are not theirs, one advantage is that it speeds up the learning process apart from the fact that a good developer or programmer should be able to research and find solutions to his/her problem.. if copying a particular code while understanding how it works makes you think of that person a skid, then you're the skid. what you should say is: "if you're serious about being a programmer, try to learn the concepts and not get carried away by imitating or copying code without understanding how the code works in the first place... you can't know everything, you learn to know.
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Booyakasha(f): 9:16am On Feb 07, 2016
ChinenyeN:

This. +1
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by RobinHez(m): 12:18pm On Feb 07, 2016
Booyakasha:

lol... stop posting poor content bro, don't follow me, i was just trolling, every programmer (at least the few good ones i know) copy and pastes codes that are not theirs, one advantage is that it speeds up the learning process apart from the fact that a good developer or programmer should be able to research and find solutions to his/her problem.. if copying a particular code while understanding how it works makes you think of that person a skid, then you're the skid. what you should say is: "if you're serious about being a programmer, try to learn the concepts and not get carried away by imitating or copying code without understanding how the code works in the first place... you can't know everything, you learn to know.

U obviously talking about 'already good programmers' the op in question is just a beginner!! Do u think it's healthy for him to start his programming life with copy-pasting? Do you even need to write lengthy codes at this stage sef? undecided @teempakguy
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Dekatron(m): 12:25pm On Feb 07, 2016
Hey teem.

Copying such codes is actually totally normal. You understand how the codes work? Good!!

However, challenging yourself is the key. I bet you started Java before me, you have more time for it than me, you have more learning resources than me. But guess what?? I am writing a resistor calculator in Java. ALL ON MYSELF!! How??

I see this :- import.java.util . . . bla bla bla. . . I copy it!! Since I know its for accepting user input, I type whats next on my own :-

string s;

System.out.println ("Enter a letter"wink . . . Bla bla bla
. . . I then declare my variables and create an array. . . But it started from me copying the import.java.util thing.

My point :- Copy, but try and also complete on your own. The harder, the fun. Thats programming. . . .

And NEVER EVER EVER LOOK AT THOSE GUYS ON TV. Focus on yourself. Take strolls down the street, with headphone blasting mozart or Enya. . . Have a pen and jotter always. Even as a noob, ideas can suddenly come to you-- Eureka moment. And you don't have your PC with you. . . Just write whatever comes. . Always think about the codes when you are very very happy. . . . NEVER THINK OF SEYMOUR BIRCHOFF or CHLOE O'BRIAN or FELICITY SMOAK. . . Work on yourself first. Just admire them. Dont base your programming life on becoming them. You would be frustrated
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Feb 07, 2016
RobinHez:

U obviously talking about 'already good programmers' the op in question is just a beginner!! Do u think it's healthy for him to start his programming life with copy-pasting? Do you even need to write lengthy codes at this stage sef? undecided @teempakguy

What . . . I seriously don't understand the bolded. I've been learning java for two months, man. at this point, me still writing short, schoolbook code would most likely be considered retarded among many programmers.

Anyway, okay. point taken. as with all the other points stressed in the thread.

Dekatron . . . I see you man! cool advice. wink
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Nobody: 6:37am On Feb 08, 2016
Teempakguy:

Really?

this is nigeria and we are hypocrites that why we are not better than them.

1 Like

Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Booyakasha(f): 7:11am On Feb 08, 2016
bayino:

this is nigeria and we are hypocrites that why we are not better than them.
The only illiterate i see here is you...
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by silento(m): 7:16am On Feb 08, 2016
one of those kids that hear that programmers will be hot cake in years to come

even if you know what you are doing copy and paste is not a way to program coders look at code and understand its algorithm

you are wack I don't think you can code in c

go and find other work to do like barbing saloon
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Booyakasha(f): 7:33am On Feb 08, 2016
silento:

even if you know what you are doing copy and paste is not a way to program coders look at code and understand its algorithm

cheesy grin lol.. nice one bro.. strong one...
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by Nmeri17: 9:36pm On Feb 15, 2016
silento:

spikesc alt account cheesy
Re: Who Else Does Copypasting? by spikesC(m): 3:27pm On Feb 16, 2016
Nmeri17:
spikesc alt account cheesy
See me see trouble angry
That's not me ooo undecided

Regardless, I believe this is all a misunderstanding. Every one copies a piece of code, the questions is, do you understand what that code does? Can you modify that code to suite your needs? And did you reference if it's required?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Dev For Small Work / After Writting The Source Codes,how Do I Make It An Application Software! / Help! Student Result Database ERD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.