Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,266 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

Are In-laws Really That Important? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are In-laws Really That Important? (1325 Views)

Are Gifts That Important In A Relationship.... / Is Traditional Marriage That Important? / Nigerian Ladies, Seriouesly.put Down The Smart Phone!you're Not That Important! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are In-laws Really That Important? by neelsel(f): 8:13pm On Oct 31, 2006
If you are dating a guy/girl and his/her parents are against the relationship, what would you do?

If caught in this predicament, I  tell the parents to go to hell and then informed them that they have already lived their lives and now it's my time. Matter of fact, I do not believe in having relationships with in-laws. Not that I am implying disrespect, I am simply advocating to keep them out of your relationships. When you do, the union tend to last.
Anxiously awaiting responses.
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by mamaput(f): 11:22pm On Oct 31, 2006
with that kind of talk am sure you have problems with in laws because that is very disrespectful talk,
I would never allow my Daughter to go out with someone that talks like that.
And believe me Non of them would.
Problem solved,
if you really think like that you need to look for an orphan

1 Like

Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by mamaput(f): 11:24pm On Oct 31, 2006
Ups you are a woman.
Well bad luck to you then boys even listen more to their mums.
I have never in my life known daughters in law to win the battle aganist Mother in law.
You know what man says. I can marry many wives but have only one mother.
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by Hotstepper(f): 1:50am On Nov 01, 2006
it is very important esp. where am from, infact, itz the umunna se, da kinsmen
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by Scorpio(f): 7:34am On Nov 01, 2006
Of course they are important. the mom is prolly the one u want to get close to, because she can break/make the relationship. if she likes you, then unles u screw it up for yourself, u pretty much have a very good chance at a peaceful relationship which can lead to marriage, but if the opposite is the case, omo forget o, u ain't goin nowhere. to answer ur question, i guess it's up to the guy in question n prolly how bad it gets; there's a limit to how much ''hateration'' i can take.
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by osegwu(m): 11:38am On Nov 01, 2006
Remember you are a woman. if you pray for the early demise of
In-laws then you will never leave to be an In-law because your words
are very potent so when your children male or female are ready to get
married wop and you are gone. All you need to do is go down on your kneels
and pray for good In-laws and believe me God will hear your prayer
and grant you your heart desire.

Still me
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by naija4life(f): 11:59am On Nov 01, 2006
I think you guys are mis-quoting the guy. I infer he\she's trying to say are they really important to influence one when both parties like each other, like in different backgroiunds or sumthn like dat.

Me, i think its ok to sieve thru wat they advice, grin, BUT not to da extent of cutting them off completely
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by osegwu(m): 1:46pm On Nov 01, 2006
Well, i guess they are. Just to complete the quota
of a family contributing their own fair share of joy
and sorrow, peace and war.
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by ThoniaSlim(f): 9:42pm On Nov 01, 2006
@osegewa
you have said it all,i second that. smiley
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by neelsel(f): 7:36pm On Nov 02, 2006
Ignorance is a curse.
Osegewa and Naija4life thanks for making sense. I once did a case study at my University to find out why many students who are otherwise deemed academically inclined performed so poorly on exams, and it was discovered that comprehension played a major role.
Having said all that, I propose that those who misconceptualized what I asked should therefore, revisit the question, and as we say in the islands "come again"
To add my two-bits. I believe it's a cultural thing. I have been a frequent viewer of Nigerian home movies and have been appalled at the magnitude of authority given to "in-laws" especially the mothers. I found it strange because in my part of the world, in-laws have to assume their place and would be reprimanded if they attempt to exceed their limits.
For the person who made the comments about me being disrespectful to my in-laws, FYI I do not have in-laws, and if I ever decide on having, I would personally advised them on their limitations. Afterall OUR BIBLE clearly stated "a man should leave his mother and father and cleave to his wife" Thank you for your time,
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by mamaput(f): 10:06am On Nov 03, 2006
Ignorance is a curse

i ássum you are  not a Nigerian or maybe one that has never gone home.

I
have been a frequent viewer of Nigerian home movies and have been appalled at the magnitude of authority
Are you serious ? us use  Films as your source of supply.
In that case i will use the Harry Potter film to find out every thing i wanted to know about England.

once did a case study at my University to find out why many students who are otherwise deemed academically inclined performed so poorly on exams, and it was discovered that comprehension played a major role.

Says the lady that likes African movies.
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by mamaput(f): 10:21am On Nov 03, 2006
For the person who made the comments about me being disrespectful to my in-laws, FYI I do not have in-laws, and if I ever decide on having, I would personally advised them on their limitations. Afterall OUR BIBLE clearly stated "a man should leave his mother and father and cleave to his wife" Thank you for your time,

the answer out of your mouth.

I tell the parents to go to hell and then informed them that they have already lived their lives and now it's my time.

people have also been known to tell their inlaws to go and buy their graves,
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by neelsel(f): 10:24pm On Nov 03, 2006
Mammaput
I can clearly see you have a comprehension problem. Please for the sake of not starting another useless argument go back and reread my posts.
NO, I did not in anyway implied that I used your home movies to judge your culture with regards to in-laws relationships. I simply stated that I noticed that it is a rather prevalent practice in the movies and was just wondering if it extends in real life.
Why is it that everything is blown out of proportion on this website.
No I am not Nigerian and again I say without fear or favour, I would limit my in-laws(if i decide on having) out of my relationship. And I am dead serious.
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by mamaput(f): 11:53pm On Nov 03, 2006
neelsel you see me i no go school,
I have said it many times.
But you that went to school you use big,big words to try and impress.
But your English dose not flow.
Read the whole forum up and down , noone uses the big big words you use.
Every one here uses simple words.
But you you nawa.
Your words are big but nothing flows.
And then the Nigerian English inbetween.
Hiss hiss hisss
Re: Are In-laws Really That Important? by Osama10(m): 5:36am On Oct 26, 2010
Yes they are, but you can still do without them too.

(1) (Reply)

my Fiancee is In Love With My Best Man / Heart Broken! Advise Pls! / He Didn't Call Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.