Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,418 members, 7,781,217 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:47 AM

Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" (3087 Views)

2shotz And Wife, Precious Jones Separate; Accuses Him Of Beating Her / Michael Jackson's Chaotic Bedroom In Unseen Photos: / Janet Jackson's Secret Daughter: Picture Revealed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by sexyLeamon(f): 2:03am On Jul 03, 2009
In a new interview with Details, Quincy Jones -- who helped launched Michael Jackson's career -- opens up about the sad and strange evolution in the late singer's appearance over the years.

Jones - who first worked with Jackson on 1979's Off the Wall - tells Details they'd talk "all the time" about how Jackson was changing.

"But he'd come up with, 'Man, I promise you I have this disease,' and so forth, and 'I have a blister on my lungs,' and all that kind of b.s.," he says. "It's hard, because Michael's a Virgo, man — he's very set in his ways. You can't talk him out of it. Chemical peels and all that stuff."

See how Michael Jackson’s face has changed over the years

"I've been around junkies and stuff all my life. I've heard every excuse," he says. "It's like smokers — 'I only smoke when I drink' and all that stuff. But it's bulls**t. You're justifying something that's destructive to your existence. It's crazy."

Revisit Michael Jackson’s most unforgettable moments

Jones says Jackson's obsession with his appearances got to be "ridiculous."

"Chemical peels and all of it. And I don't understand it," he says. "But he obviously didn't want to be black."

Asked if that is the reason Jackson had undergone so much plastic surgery, Jones says, "Well, what do you think? You see his kids?"

See photos of Michael Jackson and his kids through the years

Jones isn't sure why Jackson had such a deep-seated issue with the way he looked. (In a 1993 interview with Oprah Winfrey, The King of Pop said he used to wash his face in the dark because he had pimples. "I wouldn't want to look in the mirror, and my father teased me," Jackson said. "He would tell me I was ugly."wink

"I'm just a musician and a record producer. I'm not a psychiatrist," Jones says. "I don't understand all that stuff. We all got problems. But there's a great book out called Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart. Did you see that? That book says the statute of limitations has expired on all childhood traumas. Get your stuff together and get on with your life, man. Stop whinin' about what's wrong, because everybody's had a rough time, in one way or another."

Look back at Michael Jackson's life

So what does he think killed Jackson (who died June 25 at age 50 after suffering cardiac arrest)?

"I would think that the pressure of the concerts and the debt and everything else, " he says. ", If you sit there and just stay hung up on one negative thought, you will become that thought. I know that Lisa Marie Presley said that she always thought he was going to die like Elvis. You sit and think about that stuff, it'll happen to you. If you start thinking about darkness instead of light, or fear instead of love, you'll get in trouble. I really believe that."
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:06am On Jul 03, 2009
I hate his father with a passion.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by LamidiObi: 2:31am On Jul 03, 2009
na so him papa hate you too. stupid ibo girl.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by sexyLeamon(f): 2:50am On Jul 03, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

is Quincy Jones his father? undecided
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by SeanT21(f): 3:33am On Jul 03, 2009
I lost all my respect for Quincy Jones.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by kadman(m): 8:30am On Jul 03, 2009
SeanT21:

I lost all my respect for Quincy Jones.

I dislike Quincy Jones for another reason,but don't tell me it's because of this interview ?
sexyLeamon:

is Quincy Jones his father? undecided

No his father is Joe Jackson,whom everyone hate. . . Did you see the way he was hawking himself and his product at BET awards,just 3 days after his son's death ?
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by Horus(m): 8:47am On Jul 03, 2009
Where is the link for this article?. I dont believe it at all.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by romsky: 4:33pm On Jul 03, 2009
see side effect of negative words
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by Tudor6(f): 5:59pm On Jul 03, 2009
Links please. . .
No one says bullshit about my M.J and goes scot free. I need to be sure.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by nolvera(f): 7:29pm On Jul 03, 2009
The same here,if anybody f**ks with my MJ,de person will 've question(s) to answer
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by chiogo(f): 12:19am On Jul 04, 2009
I don't think it takes rocket science to figure out what Quincy Jones stated in the interview. It was glaring!

But I'm pretty sure MJ's father contributed to these problems he faced. He was never the greatest father.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by Okijajuju1(m): 12:27am On Jul 04, 2009
chiogo:

I don't think it takes rocket science to figure out what Quincy Jones stated in the interview. It was glaring!

But I'm pretty sure MJ's father contributed to these problems he faced. He was never the greatest father.

More like his father damaged him at an early stage. I would say he contributed to 80% of his problems.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by Uche2nna(m): 12:30am On Jul 04, 2009
chiogo:

Exactly!!!!

I dont know why they are on the guy's ass as if he made some far fetched claims.

Like Quincy said " Look at his kids!!!!!"
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by Nobody: 12:38am On Jul 04, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

why? He's not the first dude to have a strict father . . . my dad flogged me even for things i didnt do and i dont hate him and i havent ended up a disturbed drug addict.

Only a coward blames his father for his own adult problems. Why didnt his brothers end up the same way?
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by chiogo(f): 12:45am On Jul 04, 2009
Okija_juju:

More like his father damaged him at an early stage. I would say he contributed to 80% of his problems.
We're saying the same thing, buddy.

davidylan:

Only a coward blames his father for his own adult problems. Why didnt his brothers end up the same way?
Same reason they're not referred to as the king of pop. His father damaged him, everybody knows that, he joined the group at 5. He basically had no childhood, he was all the while trying to gain 'fortune' for his father who was always pushing him. That explains his obsession with children; he wanted to get back his childhood.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by Nobody: 1:13am On Jul 04, 2009
chiogo:

Same reason they're not referred to as the king of pop. His father damaged him, everybody knows that, he joined the group at 5. He basically had no childhood, he was all the while trying to gain 'fortune' for his father who was always pushing him. That explains his obsession with children; he wanted to get back his childhood.

you can make all the excuses you want . . . he lived a life of luxury . . . a life that billions would give away their childhood for. An adult behaving like a 5 yr old cannot continue to use his father as an excuse.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by chiogo(f): 1:33am On Jul 04, 2009
Whatever, David. You lived with him that's how you know he lived a life of luxury. Reports claim that he was anorexic, there weren't much food found in his stomach rather dissolved pills. That sure doesn't sound like luxury to me, I'll pass.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by Nobody: 1:34am On Jul 04, 2009
chiogo:

Whatever, David. You lived with him that's how you know he lived a life of luxury. Reports claim that he was anorexic, there weren't much food found in his stomach rather dissolved pills. That sure doesn't sound like luxury to me, I'll pass.

And you lived with him that's why you can safely sit in your fathers house and blame his father for the failure of a 50 yr old to behave like an adult?

If he was anorexic was it because he couldnt afford food? I'm sure one prescription for those disolved pills would have been enough to feed a small army of children. Abegi enough of making up excuses for cowards who cant get a grip on their own lives. We have cultivated a society where everyone now blames another for their own failures in life. Janet and co turned out fairly ok with the same father so what was wrong with him?
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by chiogo(f): 1:50am On Jul 04, 2009
LOL you're funny sha. Like I said, the brothers didn't turn out to be the star he was. More money= more problems, does that sound familiar? Janet wasn't part of the Jackson five, I think she had it easier. You better watch how you speak about the dead. angry I still insist the father used him to gain fortune; I watched an episode on E! of parents who are their kid's managers(momagers and dadagers), it portrayed Joe Jackson in a bad light. Can't remember exactly what he did but he ruined MJ's life. End of. .
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by No2Atheism(m): 2:36am On Jul 04, 2009
davidylan:

why? He's not the first dude to have a strict father . . . my dad flogged me even for things i didnt do and i dont hate him and i havent ended up a disturbed drug addict.

thank you jare, its like AA have a tolerance problem or something cus i don't understand how a father can be held responsible for a son's choices in life. At least some of his brothers that were less talented did not kill themselves or do something rubbish like that.

Its high time people start stop blaming others for Jacksons flaws.

Yes his father was a privates, nevertheless it does not mean he has an excuse to live large, it does not mean he has an excuse to give birth to white kids that have not genetical link to him. it does not mean he has an excuse to continue working on his nose.

By the way, the bible says thou shall not hate.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by SeanT21(f): 3:06am On Jul 04, 2009
chiogo:

Just to let you know that report was false. The sun news stated that he was bald, had nothing in his body, etc.That was just a rumor. Another report came out and claimed all to be a lie.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by chiogo(f): 3:19am On Jul 04, 2009
False or not, he looked anorexic.

Isn't The Sun a Nigerian newspaper? definitely didn't hear it from there.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by SeanT21(f): 3:25am On Jul 04, 2009
chiogo:

False or not, he looked anorexic.

Isn't The Sun a Nigerian newspaper? definitely didn't hear it from there.

The British Sun.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by Monicaa: 4:14am On Jul 04, 2009
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by sexyLeamon(f): 1:11pm On Jul 04, 2009
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 04, 2009
Why is quincy talking again? He has only ever been with white women undecided

MJ had a rare skin disorder called vitiligo(he was ist diagnosed in 1984), it is an autoimmune disease whereby the bodies antibodies attack the melanin pigments and destroys them, MJ had universal vitiligo because it spread rapidly, If you notice, he is whiter than white people, Also when a black person bleaches their skin, they become yellow not pale white,

He tried to cover it with makeup but it got worse and treated it, The only treatment option for this condition in the 80's was dipigmentation and that's what he did. I have to commend the guy though because he had all this and still gave a thriller performance in his concerts and videos, Most people would have become reclusive, The media had people believing he was a self-hating black man and didnt disclose this information,

Granted he did plastic surgery on his face most people dont like their appearance but the difference between celebs and us is that they can afford to change it, I will not judge him on that,

The media has been against this man because he has been the most succesful artist is world history now they have killed him and the hypocrites are pretending as if they care by releasing half-hearted tributes, They can take their sh!t and shove it where the sun dont shine,
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by walakolobo: 3:45pm On Jul 04, 2009
All you you are realy talking with your butt holes opened half way, none of you made any meaning and i am just amazed at who you all are.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by sexyLeamon(f): 3:49pm On Jul 04, 2009
walakolobo:

All you you are realy talking with your butt holes opened half way, none of you made any meaning and i am just amazed at who you all are.
before you jump, and open your holes mouth to start talking did you understand the post? undecided
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by walakolobo: 3:51pm On Jul 04, 2009
sexyLeamon:

before you jump, and open your holes mouth to start talking did you understand the post? undecided

No, I dont, its only you loud mouthed gazelle that can read and understand. muppet.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by Uche2nna(m): 3:54pm On Jul 04, 2009
No2Atheism:

thank you jare, its like AA have a tolerance problem or something cus i don't understand how a father can be held responsible for a son's choices in life. At least some of his brothers that were less talented did not kill themselves or do something rubbish like that.

Its high time people start stop blaming others for Jacksons flaws.

Yes his father was a privates, nevertheless it does not mean he has an excuse to live large, it does not mean he has an excuse to give birth to white kids that have not genetical link to him. it does not mean he has an excuse to continue working on his nose.

By the way, the bible says thou shall not hate.

That has always been my opinion about Mikey and his life style. My friends think that I just hate the guy.  

His father might have been excessively strict and all that, but Michael has to at some point take responsibility for his own actions. A man past the age of 30 still blaming his old man for his Bleep ups sounds absurd to me.

I wish my dad would  have whipped me into super stardom  grin I was whipped but I aint got nothing to show for it.
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by sexyLeamon(f): 3:54pm On Jul 04, 2009
walakolobo:

No, I dont, its only you loud mouthed gazelle that can read and understand. muppet.
now I know that you are actually stupid idiot tongue
Re: Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson "didn't Want To Be Black" by peachie(f): 6:19pm On Jul 04, 2009
If you know Micheal Jackson's story @ all, Joe Jackson never made it as a musician and so he relived the fame in his children. Except that Micheal was the 'whiz kid' and practically carried the jackson 5! Micheal being the most sensitive of them, was scarred the most, read his story pple before you judge. Considering what he went through i think he did pretty good for himself. He has given so much to charity,especially childrens charities. The media just love to carry negative news because it sells. Remember he was 50 when he died, he cannot be a saint! Many of us with that much wealth would be up to all sorts! HE NEVER HAD A NORMAL LIFE, SO HE CANNOT BE NORMAL!

RIP micheal you have now got the peace you so deserve. cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Isn't She Marvelous? / Beyonce And Daughter, Blue Ivy (photo) / Zayn Malik's Fiance Whisks Him To Disneyland Paris For His 21st Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.