Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,373 members, 7,781,045 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:59 AM

Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? (3942 Views)

Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? / Help! I Am Being Physically Abused By My Wife! What Will I Do? / For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? by amosexy: 2:22am On Jul 03, 2009
Jackson stated that he was physically and emotionally abused by his father from a young age, enduring incessant rehearsals, whippings and name-calling. However, he also credited his father's strict discipline as playing a large part in his success.[6][7] In one altercation—later recalled by Marlon Jackson—Joseph held Michael upside down by one leg and "pummeled him over and over again with his hand, hitting him on his back and buttocks".[8] Joseph would also trip or push his male children into walls. One night while Jackson was asleep, Joseph climbed into his room through the bedroom window. Wearing a fright mask, he entered the room screaming and shouting. Joseph said he wanted to teach his children not to leave the window open when they went to sleep. For years afterwards, Jackson said he suffered nightmares about being kidnapped from his bedroom.[8] In 2003, Joseph admitted to the BBC that he had whipped Jackson as a child.[9]

Jackson first spoke openly about his childhood abuse in a 1993 interview with Oprah Winfrey. He said that during his childhood he often cried from loneliness and would sometimes start to vomit upon seeing his father.[10][11][12][13] In Jackson's other high profile interview, Living with Michael Jackson (2003), the singer covered his face with his hand and began crying when talking about his childhood abuse.[8] Jackson recalled that Joseph sat in a chair with a belt in his hand as he and his siblings rehearsed and that "if you didn't do it the right way, he would tear you up, really get you".

I grew up with parent who are even more stricter than micheal' father,while I was growing ,i sometime have to convince myself that my parents were not my biological parent cos they never  fails to whip and yab me when need be and i must confess i hate them then.When i grew up i realized they were the best thing that has ever happened to me because looking back,if they had not been so strict,i wonder what my life would have been like or what would have become of me.

My nigerian friends,neighbours ,sisters and brothers abroad believes by whippin your kids and callin them names e.g (COCONUNT HEAD), you are abusing them.I think it so absurd for Nigerians to think that way cos most of us abroad were raised by parent who will never spare the rod on their children.

WAS THE BOLDED REALLY AN ABUSE ?
Re: Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? by Nobody: 4:11am On Jul 03, 2009
Joe Jackson was just hard on his children and punish them sometimes but was he a child abuser? not in my book.

the definition of abuse is very wide. the problem is that some practice that was perfectly legal back in the 70s are now considered illegal and abuse.
its funny how everyone in Hollywood has been "abused" in some form or another when they were a child.
today you dont even have to lay a finger on a child to be called a child abuser. scream a little too loud too long at him/her and you can go to jail.
we know that some parents out there are loco but corporal discipline should be mandatory with some kids.
i guess , if all your kids are fearing the time you will come home, shaking in their boots, then something must have been wrong.
Re: Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? by rubi(f): 4:34am On Jul 03, 2009
amosexy:

Jackson stated that he was physically and emotionally abused by his father from a young age, enduring incessant rehearsals, whippings and name-calling. However, he also credited his father's strict discipline as playing a large part in his success.[6][7] In one altercation—later recalled by Marlon Jackson—Joseph held Michael upside down by one leg and "pummeled him over and over again with his hand, hitting him on his back and buttocks".[8] Joseph would also trip or push his male children into walls. One night while Jackson was asleep, Joseph climbed into his room through the bedroom window. Wearing a fright mask, he entered the room screaming and shouting. Joseph said he wanted to teach his children not to leave the window open when they went to sleep. For years afterwards, Jackson said he suffered nightmares about being kidnapped from his bedroom.[8] In 2003, Joseph admitted to the BBC that he had whipped Jackson as a child.[9]

Jackson first spoke openly about his childhood abuse in a 1993 interview with Oprah Winfrey. He said that during his childhood he often cried from loneliness and would sometimes start to vomit upon seeing his father.[10][11][12][13] In Jackson's other high profile interview, Living with Michael Jackson (2003), the singer covered his face with his hand and began crying when talking about his childhood abuse.[8] Jackson recalled that Joseph sat in a chair with a belt in his hand as he and his siblings rehearsed and that "if you didn't do it the right way, he would tear you up, really get you".

I grew up with parent who are even more stricter than micheal' father,while I was growing ,i sometime have to convince myself that my parents were not my biological parent cos they never fails to whip and yab me when need be and i must confess i hate them then.When i grew up i realized they were the best thing that has ever happened to me because looking back,if they had not been so strict,i wonder what my life would have been like or what would have become of me.

My nigerian friends,neighbours ,sisters and brothers abroad believes by whippin your kids and callin them names e.g (COCONUNT HEAD), you are abusing them.I think it so absurd for Nigerians to think that way cos most of us abroad are arisen by parent who will never spare the rod on their children.

WAS THE BOLDED REALLY AN ABUSE ?

Maybe this is one of the reasons he did not include his father in his WILL cry shocked sad sad
Re: Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? by nezerst(f): 5:13pm On Jul 04, 2009
I believe in the saying spare the rod and spoil the child but only when its necessary.
Why would u as a parent call ur child names? Most Nigerian parents have d tendency 2 take out their frustration s on d kids like say they were asked 2 be born.
Most children that are abused usually end up with low self esteem.
As a gownup married with a kid, I still hate my parents 4 being so abusive when we were little.
Re: Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? by Outstrip(f): 6:47pm On Jul 04, 2009
Yes Michael was abused. When you hold your child upside down and pummel their backs and buttocks you are an abusive savage. When you turn punishing your child into personal attacks you are an abusive savage. Calling your child big nose, ugly duckling etc is abusive. Think I am lying. Read through this website and see just how quick we are to use abusive language. Nigerians are very abusive and even as Michael said it helped him in many parts of his life, he was a very frightened boy. I can almost cry when I think of what little Michael went through. If your parents beat you then they were abusive and if it left a negative impression about life on you then apologies are in order. Even though I knew that most parents felt callng their children was no big deal because they were probably called worse. There is nothing wrong with saying to a traumatized child. "what I did was wrong but I used the techniques that I knew. It was all out of love". Admit the wrong and let the victim be free
Re: Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? by walakolobo: 6:50pm On Jul 04, 2009
Let this man rest in peace you all.
Re: Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? by Okijajuju1(m): 7:13pm On Jul 04, 2009
NOW just because everybody is doing it dosent make it right!!

My mum beat the shit out of me as a kid. I remember those days when I use to get whipped for putting more than two table spoons of powdered milk in my tea, or made to kneel down for hours just for playing outside with the neighbours. Was I abused?? HELLZ yeah I was. Now the fact that despite all those whipping and punishments I still turned out alright dont mean everybody would. We as individuals need to realise that we differ from person to person in terms of emotions, tolerance, e.t.c.

Why would a dad force his son to rehearse at belt-point?? Why would a dad sneak up on his then young son at night and scare the heebie-geebies out of him just to prove a point?? Why should a dad call his son names and even talk about his looks?? All those things must have scared him emotionally and physically!! Micheal Jackson (R.I.P) was a damaged child. I hope his father was proud to see his son change his nose (the one thing he always teased him with when he was a child. From his looks and behaivior, you could tell that Micheal was a very fragile person. I wonder if he ever won a fight in his life. His father should be proud cos his disciplinary style ended up creating a superstar freak. Micheal needed strong counselling. Did it ever cross your mind that Micheal might just have been gay!! Why would of all things in the world, he chose the Peter Pan theme! The boy that never grew up. Why would a pretty superstar like Micheal who could have had any girl in the world die single with kids born through a surrogate mother. Why would he name his son blanket?! Micheal had deep sitted issues!

But despite all these, he still touched the world through his music & philanthropism. Hope his last days were peaceful.

Micheal Jackson, rest in peace!!
Re: Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? by Outstrip(f): 8:12pm On Jul 04, 2009
I soooooooo agree with you on all points. It always seemed strange to me that children born of the same parent would disagree that their parents were abusive or not. Everybody has different level of tolerance for abuse. As to if Michael was gay I don't think he was. I honestly think that he was afraid of sex. Tatum O Neal had said that when she took her clothes off once to seduce him he actually hid his face in his hands and would not look at her. Which is a very childlike behavior. He was actually shy about looking at a naked woman. Michael had also said in the past that when he was a kid his older brother's would have sex with women in their room and it made him feel uncomfortable. Nobody looked out for his emotional well being. In a way though he was so popular and successful he fell through the cracks.
Re: Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? by sparta(f): 10:40am On Jul 06, 2009
Discipline and child abuse are too different things. Micheal's father may have meant to discipline his kids but i think he was excessive. Personally i beleive in spanking but there is a limit because my children are not Goats or Cows. Scolding is also different from emotional abuse, if you call your child names then you need help. Why would i call my child ugly or stupid or animal ?

My conclusion is that everything should be done moderately! Agba wa bura pe ewe o se e ri. I was once a child and was allowed to make mistakes, parents should give their kids the chance to grow, learn, make their own mistakes and make ammends. Humans learn better that way
Re: Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? by mamagee3(f): 2:04am On Jul 07, 2009
Yes he was.
Re: Was Micheal Jackson Really Abused ? by touchmeder: 9:54am On Jul 07, 2009
The standard of abuse in the Nigerian society and one in the UK or America is definitely miles apart
what is accepted as normal in Nigeria would not be tolerated outside
My mum in particular was hard on us, call it discipline or whatever i dont know
as i look back now i believe she did the best she knew how to at that point in her life
i think it could have been alot better, if only she if only ,
while i grew up i was never close to her the way i am now
it could have been alot better
i would never bring up my child like that
so was i abused as a child?
i'd say NO was Michael abused i'd say probably

(1) (Reply)

Tribute To Baby MOMMAS! The ULTIMATE FEMINISTAS. / Jealous Aunt? / My Husband Still Confesses Love To His Ex-girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.