Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,586 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

What Makes A Good Wife? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Makes A Good Wife? (8401 Views)

The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) / Top 10 Qualities A Good Wife Must Have / Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes A Good Wife? by sexyLeamon(f): 2:44am On Jul 03, 2009
Im not sure what men want out of a woman nowadays, help me out please. What kind of woman do you desire to live with for better and for worst, til' death do you part?
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Nobody: 4:34am On Jul 03, 2009
the list is quite long:

- someone honest
- someone trustworty
- someone respectful (of us but also others)
- someone compatible (physically, mentally and sexually)
- someone intelligent
- someone emotionally ready
- someone fun
- someone driven, with goals
- someone who can communicate with you and understands you
- someone who doesnt nag all day
- someone not afraid to be herself
- someone who knows how to step away from an argument with a smile
- someone strong minded
- someone beautiful and sexy
- someone that can ride and die with you
- someone not afraid to show affection in public
- someone who wont give up trying to seduce me the day that ring is on her finger
- someone who is ready to go on dates for the rest of our lives(even after 15yrs)
- someone who can say whats on their mind (them daily "i love you" are perfect)
- someone who can listen when its needed without making it a confrontation
- someone who understands that being sexy is part of life and that if your man aint sexually attracted to you then the marriage will suffer
- someone who keep fit and who will work hard to loose the extra baby fat

and when all these points are met, she has to be a freak in the sheets whenever required.

you see. its not easy finding the right mate unless a person is willing to settle for less.

PS: thats only MY humble opinion and shouldnt be taken as a more than that.
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by sexyLeamon(f): 4:47am On Jul 03, 2009
MRbrownJAY:

the list is quite long:

- someone honest
- someone trustworty
- someone intelligent
- someone fun
- someone strong minded
- someone who wont give up trying to seduce me the day that ring is on her finger
- someone who is ready to go on dates for the rest of our lives(even after 15yrs)
- someone who understands that being sexy is part of life and that if your man aint sexually attracted to you then the marriage will suffer
shocked FINDING all this is almost impossible
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Nobody: 5:00am On Jul 03, 2009
sexyLeamon:

shocked FINDING all this is almost impossible

unfortunately yes and thats why some people settle for less but thats the aim.

remember that even if all these were met, a man could still cheat on you because sometimes cheating has absolutely nothing to do with being with the right person.
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Sissy3(f): 6:44am On Jul 03, 2009
i think the bible already has the perfect description of such woman:

Proverb 31:10-31

The Woman Who Fears the Lord

An excellent wife who can find?
She is far more precious than jewels.

The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.

She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.

She seeks wool and flax,
and works with willing hands.

She is like the ships of the merchant;
she brings her food from afar.

She rises while it is yet night
and provides food for her household
and portions for her maidens.

She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.

She dresses herself [2] with strength
and makes her arms strong.

She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night.

She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.

She opens her hand to the poor

She is not afraid of snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed in scarlet. [3]

She makes bed coverings for herself;
her clothing is fine linen and purple.

Her husband is known in the gates
when he sits among the elders of the land.

She makes linen garments and sells them;
she delivers sashes to the merchant.

Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.

She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.

Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:

“Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.”

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

Give her of the fruit of her hands,
and let her works praise her in the gates.
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 03, 2009
i thought the question was "what men want out of a wife?" not "what the bible says a wife should be?".
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Sissy3(f): 7:02am On Jul 03, 2009
MRbrownJAY:

i thought the question was "what men want out of a wife?" not "what the bible says what a wife should be?".

dont twist it. you stated yours and posted mines so why the fuss undecided undecided
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Nobody: 7:06am On Jul 03, 2009
~Sissy~:

dont twist it. you stated yours and posted mines so why the fuss undecided undecided

hey, no fuss here. just thinking that using the bible is a poor way to "choose" a wife, seeing that in the good book, women are below men and not equal.

but hey, to each their own
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Sissy3(f): 7:13am On Jul 03, 2009
MRbrownJAY:

hey, no fuss here. just thinking that using the bible is a poor way to "choose" a wife, seeing that in the good book, women are below men and not equal.

but hey, to each their own

i understand you better now cool, but like you said to each his own. some ppl will seek the guidance of the bible in such things while others wouldn't.

IMO, at last all that matters is that you get what you're looking for. tongue

even if i didnt post that, i betcha ya one of 'em men r going to post it, so i just saved them stress grin grin

it's not even as if any woman have all those qualities imo undecided
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Nobody: 7:31am On Jul 03, 2009
fair enough but would you stick to whats written in the bible all the way?! or just parts?

there are some verses in there that can be shocking:
1 Corinthians 11:3 Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

1 timothy 2:9-10  I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

1 timothy 2:12-15 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

if we'd all use and stick to the bible in marriages, there would be less problems.LOL

anyway back to the subject.
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Sissy3(f): 7:36am On Jul 03, 2009
LOL, you didnt have to do all that, not everyone fellows the bible, i betcha ya most men r first to quote that proverbs
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 03, 2009
~Sissy~:

LOL, you didnt have to do all that, not everyone fellows the bible, i betcha ya most men r first to quote that proverbs

i thought that you were a bible follower since you posted a beautiful quote about what a women should be, from the good book, and sounded like you stood by it. lol
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Sissy3(f): 7:42am On Jul 03, 2009
MRbrownJAY:

i thought that you were a bible follower since you posted a beautiful quote about what a women should be, from the good book, and sounded like you stood by it. lol

LOL, you misunderstood me tongue
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 03, 2009
~Sissy~:

LOL, you misunderstood me tongue

ok i am sorry then
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Sissy3(f): 7:45am On Jul 03, 2009
MRbrownJAY:

ok i am sorry then

lol no worries, sorry too if i misunderstood u too tongue.
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by olabukola: 8:27am On Jul 03, 2009
@Poster

It seems you are getting ready for the lyf of being Mrs hence your question.
Its cool sista you will get there.
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by sweetpie23: 5:51pm On Jul 05, 2009
be a virgin
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by IGWEUSA(m): 6:40am On Jul 06, 2009
sweetpie23:

be a virgin

LMAO
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by RichyBlacK(m): 7:21am On Jul 06, 2009
sweetpie23:

be a virgin

This alone scores the most points for most guys!
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by RichyBlacK(m): 7:22am On Jul 06, 2009
MRbrownJAY:

the list is quite long:

- someone honest
- someone trustworty
- someone intelligent
- someone emotionally ready
- someone fun
- someone strong minded
- someone who keep fit and who will work hard to loose the extra baby fat

and when all these points are met, she has to be a freak in the sheets whenever required.

you see. its not easy finding the right mate unless a person is willing to settle for less.

PS: thats only MY humble opinion and shouldnt be taken as a more than that.

Easy! My future wife has all these qualities! Baby, are you reading this? grin
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by C2H5OH(f): 7:27am On Jul 06, 2009
sweetpie23:

be a virgin
lol omg very well said
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by oyinda3(f): 7:30am On Jul 06, 2009
i knew someone will be on this thread. hahahhah
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by C2H5OH(f): 7:34am On Jul 06, 2009
is it me you are referring to? what have i done this night
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 06, 2009
RichyBlacK:

yep , actually these guys only need this to seal the deal and then down the line, the bride lack some or all of the quality i previously stated and then they start wondering why the union didnt work out.
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by oyinda3(f): 7:43am On Jul 06, 2009
C2H5OH:

is it me you are referring to?  what have i done this night

what am i a monster now? lol God dey o
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by C2H5OH(f): 7:56am On Jul 06, 2009
because your motto is to try and get on people's nerves.

@topic
respect in a good wife
commitment in a good wife
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by sexyLeamon(f): 8:37am On Jul 06, 2009
sweetpie23:

be a virgin
guys is that really true? shocked shocked
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by oyinda3(f): 8:54am On Jul 06, 2009
MRbrownJAY:

unfortunately yes and thats why some people settle for less but thats the aim.

remember that even if all these were met, a man could still cheat on you because sometimes cheating has absolutely nothing to do with being with the right person.

u said some people settle for less. does that mean that some others don't settle for less despite the "impossibility" u mentioned?
in either case, i disagree with u. no one is perfect and i don't think people go around with a list of qualities in their mind. there are even more minor things that are not included on that ur personal list and ur list will prolly never end if u decide to continue listing them.

it's funny how u didn't mention anything pertaining to kids upbringing, how she handles finances or spouse family/friends. 'cause these stuff tend to destroy marriages more than whether ur wife kisses u in public (on ur list) or skips on the "i love you" for one day.
keep in mind the topic says "good wife" not "good girlfriend". these two are totally different things.

sissy's list is more conceivable as it talks about every member of the family and basic household responsibilities. even though not all might agree with each individual points.
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 06, 2009
oyinda.:

u said some people settle for less. does that mean that some others don't settle for less despite the "impossibility" u mentioned?
in either case, i disagree with u. no one is perfect and i don't think people go around with a list of qualities in their mind. there are even more minor things that are not included on that ur personal list and ur list will prolly never end if u decide to continue listing them.

it's funny how u didn't mention anything pertaining to kids upbringing, how she handles finances or spouse family/friends. 'cause these stuff tend to destroy marriages more than whether ur wife kisses u in public (on ur list) or skips on the "i love you" for one day.
keep in mind the topic says "good wife" not "good girlfriend". these two are totally different things.

sissy's list is more conceivable as it talks about every member of the family and basic household responsibilities. even though not all might agree with each individual points.
men and women see marriage differently. other settle for what they are searching for because their list might be smaller. we are all different. i cant compare myself with the next man and vice versa.
this is a man's list, my list. of course this person will probably never be found but it doesnt mean that men should not hope and aim for it.
kid upbringing is something that we both deal with, that is not a woman's job (not in my world anyway) so i have absolutely no criteria for this subject because i will be there to make sure they get the right upbringing.
how she handles finances?! sorry i live in a different world. she works and pay her share, i work and pay my share right down the middle. we set money aside for all the necessities of life (bills, house, family vacation, clothing, kids etc etc etc) whatever is left on her salary after all this is her decision what to do with it not mine. dont think i can ever get down with someone without a job or without prospects.
handle family and friend?! as i said on my list "respectful of us and others" thats all that matters.

in my world my spouse has to be my friend, my lover, my mother, my sister, my wife all in one so the same way that i handle my gf is the same way that she will have to be. no difference in my book. i do not need someone that is one way while we are dating and getting to know and love each other and then turn out into something else the day we get married. NOPE!!!!!

do not forget, this is my list(my humble opinion), what i think are the qualities a woman need to have before i pop the question. i may never find her but i am not too keen on marriage anyway so all is well on my part.
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by Ejadamen(f): 11:12am On Jul 06, 2009
RichyBlacK:

How? i am yet to meet a guy who wants to marry a virgin. i think that is old school. Most guys actually prefer a lady to know what she's doing. Easier to learn new skills from there instead of teaching from scratch.

MRbrownJAY:

yep , actually these guys only need this to seal the deal and then down the line, the bride lack some or all of the quality i previously stated and then they start wondering why the union didnt work out.
I totally agree.

oyinda.:

in either case, i disagree with u. no one is perfect and[b] i don't think people go around with a list of qualities in their mind.[/b] there are even more minor things that are not included on that ur personal list and ur list will prolly never end if u decide to continue listing them.

Maybe you don't but don't conclude for other people. I did and i think it's a good idea to have a list of qualities that one desires in a spouse. True not all might be met but then one should select the must haves and decide which qualities can be lived without. IMO, a list increases the likelihood of compatibility(after a reasonable period of dating to test the theory). Some lists are demanding but hey it's the person's list.
Re: What Makes A Good Wife? by kencas: 12:40pm On Jul 06, 2009
How are U smiley am ok sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Positive Sides To Infidelity/extra Marital Affairs / Can One Split His/her Tithe For Personal Reasons? / 'Free Bleeding' - a New Era Of Feminism For Free Flowing Menstruation (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.