Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:51 AM

Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety (1222 Views)

13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness / 5 Ways To Overcome Shyness And Become Super Confident / How To Successfully Approach Women - Beat Shyness And Become Confident! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by IZZIFLOW(m): 8:02am On Feb 07, 2016
Hello Nairalanders....I choose this topic to bring to the notice of others what I learnt recently on building shyness to confidence and reducing social anxiety....months back shyness was what i battled with especially when it involves ladies and social gatherings...but now i can talk to any lady and address people in public...straight to the point,,,,,,,,,,no long stories here are 5 powerful ways to build on shyness and reduce social anxiety...
1.Talk more
Practice how to give speeches and conversations be more of a talkative expressings different areas of things hapunning around you,telling stories and jokes at the slightest opportunity you can start with the people around you eg collegues,family members...confident people are not preoccupied with what others think about what they say..because they want to share and connect with others..u can do this too .....anxiety and shyness are not reasons to be quiet.

2.Practice displaying confident body languges

This works like magic... Maintain and make eye contact when talking to people,walk with your head held high,project ur voice clearly and effectively,shake hands,hug,stay in close proximity with others[Note:while practicing all these u are aimming at increasing your confidence and it should be done with all boldness cos u know what u are after....and dont try to think what ppl are thinking from the way the look at you it can discourage u who knows 'some ppl myt be admiring ur confidence and sudden change in you']

3. Try new things even if they make you anxious

join a team or sports team improve on class,pick up difficult task at work, learn a new skill, do somthing that would get you out of ur comfort zone.part of overcoming shyness is about developing confidence,decreasing fear of failure,rejection and humiliation.
Practicing new things help to drive away fear of the unknown &help one learn how to handle shyness and anxiety.

4.Making yourself vunerable

The fear of being judged contribues to social anxiety and shyness,the only way to overcome it is to make yourself vulnerabe,practice doing it around people around you and people that you can trust,you relaize that the more u do it the more u get closer to them and the more your relationship grow stronger with them[note:by saying this i dont mean displeasing urslef to please others thats not what i mean...i mean doing it to build ur confidence]..being vulnerable let others see the real you...be proud of of who you are,be genuine and vulnerable it is the part of u that people would appreciate the most.

5.Engage/making friends

Finally engage in discussions with people eg peer group chats and hangouts [very important:make sure whatever u say is in line with the topic of discussion] &think before you talk this helps alot,,,when talking smile a bit and make confident gestures it makes people wonder what you are up to....laugh at jokes said by others,expand your knowledge on ideas you know people love discussing about, ALWAYS TRY TO BE FUN.2B WITH ALL THE TIME,and not funny all the time[der is tym for everything]be lively all the time...compliment people on anything good about them....AND BE POSITIVE IN EVERYTHING YOU DO.
Conclusion:When you practice all these points listed above in no time shyness and social anxiety would drastically reduce in you and your cofidence would build up,doing them everyday in ur day-to-day life makes it a part of you,makes one free from shyness and social anxiety[as the saying goes'Practice make Perfect] start practicing NOWWWWWWW
Thanks for reading
Edited from Source:psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2015/05/31/7-ways-to-overcome-shyness-and-social-anxiety/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by Elosky20: 8:03am On Feb 07, 2016
ok
Re: Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by Cutehector(m): 8:24am On Feb 07, 2016
Go on dates, engage in public speaking.
Re: Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by CaroLyner(f): 9:34am On Feb 07, 2016
start to 'wear out' shyness by putting yourself in as many social situations as possible. We build fear around what we avoid; so by purposefully seeking out situations which would have made you feel shy, you can begin to kick that shyness out of your life.

3 Likes

Re: Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by AyamConfidence(m): 10:17am On Feb 07, 2016
Nice write up OP... I used to be very shy some years ago...i was scared of complimenting people even my mum and speaking publicly I felt i wasnt handsome enough and that there were better people than me in the world but i outgrew it..i learned to make jokes and now almost all ladies recieve compliments from me and they will be blushing...i realised too that i'm a beautiful boy and so shyness was divorced....CONFIDENCE TI TAKE OVER

3 Likes

Re: Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by IZZIFLOW(m): 11:11am On Feb 07, 2016
AyamConfidence:
Nice write up OP... I used to be very shy some years ago...i was scared of complimenting people even my mum and speaking publicly I felt i wasnt handsome enough and that there were better people than me in the world but i outgrew it..i learned to make jokes and now almost all ladies recieve compliments from me and they will be blushing...i realised too that i'm a beautiful boy and so shyness was divorced....CONFIDENCE TI TAKE OVER
lolzzz thats it ....mine was worst than your own...but now I am more than confident when talking to people
Re: Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by AyamConfidence(m): 11:14am On Feb 07, 2016
IZZIFLOW:

lolzzz thats it ....mine was worst than your own...but now I am more than confident when talking to people
that time i was always walking face down and that has even affected my posture but na...old things are passed away....i can talk with anybody

2 Likes

Re: Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by CaroLyner(f): 11:19am On Feb 07, 2016
AyamConfidence:
glad you overcame it smiley
Re: Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by AyamConfidence(m): 11:24am On Feb 07, 2016
CaroLyner:
glad you overcame it smiley
thanks ma'am...did you never have any shyness issue....share na

1 Like

Re: Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by CaroLyner(f): 1:43pm On Feb 07, 2016
AyamConfidence:
thanks ma'am...did you never have any shyness issue....share na
lol..am still a lil bit shy actually.
Re: Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by AyamConfidence(m): 3:28pm On Feb 07, 2016
CaroLyner:
lol..am still a lil bit shy actually.
it doesnt realy reflect sha..aanyways i've nmnt met you in person but online? It doesnt show
Re: Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by ebuka1997: 8:48am On Apr 11, 2021
AyamConfidence:

How did you overcome it
Re: Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety by tosik(m): 10:17am On Apr 11, 2021
well done therapist...

(1) (Reply)

Picture :what Advice Will You Give This Young Couple? / Valentine Palaver **see Pix** / My Dad Reported My Weac Exam Center Because They Helped Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.