Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,323 members, 7,780,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:38 PM

7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! (1018 Views)

7 Truths About SEO That You Wont Be Told Anywhere Else / No Magic About Seo. Say For Or Against Here / Weird Myths About SEO . Bloggers,website Owners Should Probably Ignore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by creativart: 6:37pm On Feb 07, 2016
There are seven common untruths often pedaled by so-called SEO gurus who are more interested in making money off you than in truly helping your business excel.

They are:

1. Content is King

Sure your need to have good content but content is not king. Popularity is king. If your site has the most users in it’s niche regardless of the brilliance of your articles or content your site is going to rank No. 1. Actually if you want to find the most interesting articles on a topic go the pages 5-10 of Google search.

Often the blog posts buried in the back of Google search have the most unique and interesting and often local perspectives.

I offer Mashable and The Huffington Post as examples. The goals of both of these sites is to pump out masses of content based on trends. Most of the articles are regurgitated content from various sources. There is nothing much original there. Yet, their websites get ranked like crazy for almost any keywords they want purely based on the popularity of their sites.

What is the answer? Of course, writing good content is important but make sure it is relevant to your niche and do not forget to promote the content as well. Content is not king, popularity is king.

2. Just Follow Google’s Terms and Conditions and Everything Will Work Out Just Fine.

Google does not want you to rank your website. They want you to use Google Adwords and pay them a fortune in pay per click charges. Google does not like SEO because people who get good at SEO do not need AdWords and Google makes ALL of it’s money from AdWords. Matt Cutt’s blog is the last place to look for advice on SEO.

3. Black Hat Techniques Do Not Work

Since Google does not want you to use SEO, essentially there are no white hat SEO techniques. Basically, all SEO techniques are gray hat at the least. If you are trying to game Google to get your listings above others when you employ SEO techniques then you are using black/gray hat techniques.

I had a friend who was an undercover narcotics detective for years. He told me once: “Crime does pay.” He saw people involved in criminal activity all the time who were making incredible amounts of money. However, the gains were often short-term since most ended up dead or in jail.

Black hat techniques can and do work, however, Google has some good cops on the beat. Google has the most money and hires the smartest people in the world. Chances are you will not beat Google with some aggressive black hat technique. It is probably best to stay as close to grey hat as possible and not get too “greedy” and use aggressive black hat techniques. If you do, you had better know what you are doing.

4. Using Your Keywords in Your Domain Name Does Not Work

I love Neil Patel’s blog. I think his blog is one of the most comprehensive and informative blogs on SEO. However, I saw that he said that using keywords in your domain to get ranked for your keywords does not work anymore. Wrong. It works and it works extremely well. I own a site, Classifiedsubmissions.com. Type in Classified Submissions into any search engine and you will see it as No. 1 for these keywords. I also own a site “bestplumberfortluaderdale.com.” Type in Best Plumber Fort Lauderdale and I am on the first page of Google with Powerhouses such as Angie’s List, Yellow Pages and Google My Business Pages. There are countless other examples.

If you want to rank specifically for certain keywords, using those keywords in your domain is a huge factor. Of course, you could choose to promote your brand instead which often is the best choice. But sometimes you just want to rank for specific keywords and if that is your main goal using those keywords in your domain is a great technique that works very well.

5. You Will Get Penalized if You Buy Links

It is OK to buy advertising but not links? How could Google tell the difference between if somebody is advertising on a site or if they bought a link? What is the difference anyway? If the link you bought is getting you real traffic there is absolutely no problem. My advice, just meet people in back alleys and pay for your links in cash. Then the Google police will not be able to follow the money trail. As long as the sites you are buying links are quality sites I cannot see any problems in buying links.

6. I Know Google’s “Algorithims”

Anybody who says I am an “algorithim expert” or even talks too much about algorithims is, at best, delusional. Do you work at Google? Do you have inside information on exactly what works and what does not work? We already know that Matt Cutts is here to benefit Google, so anybody parroting him is not to be trusted. Nobody knows the Google algorithims and Google is not going to tell anybody. Why? Because it does not want you to game the system. It wants you to pay for AdWords.

The type of SEO I like is observational. I do not listen to what anybody says too seriously. I test and I see what works. If you want to learn SEO, type some popular keywords into Google and see what sites come up first and try to figure out why. Look at what Google does, not at what it says. There are no algorithim experts.

7. I Will Get You Ranked On The First Page of Google

Actually this is the least of all lies. Get me on the first page of Google for what? “Craigslist Alternative Pierre South Dakota, Cars, RVs, Jon Boats and Tractors?” I can guarantee that I can rank you for that term. Sure I do not control the “algorithims” at Google but common sense tells me I will have zero competition for these keywords. There are only 10,000 people in beautiful Pierre South Dakota and the chances of somebody using that exact title are almost non-existent. So actually I consider saying that “I will get you on the first page of Google” to be a white lie.

To prove my point, I have actually made a video entitled “ Craigslist Alternative Pierre South Dakota, Cars, RVs, Jon Boats and Tractors” and you can search those exact terms in Google and my video is No. 1 on Google. Even if you just type in “Craigslist Alternative Pierre South Dakota” I am No. 2 right after Craigslist’s South Dakota actual page. The ranking was almost immediate. Well, do not ask me to do the same for “Personal Injury Attorney New York.” It might take a bit more work.

My approach to SEO is to see what is actually working. Take what anybody says about SEO, including me, with a grain of salt. Part of what makes SEO so challenging and fun is that nobody really knows the rules.

Think about it, why do you need a guru anyway? You need a guru when you do not have any inside information. Spiritual gurus are supposed to have special information about the after life that us regular people have no access to. That is why we tend to “revere” them. I encourage to be your own guru and see what works (both spiritually and with SEO.) I love hearing about people’s experiences rather than theory. Please share your SEO experiences here in the comments area.

www.techpluz.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by EntclassBlog(m): 8:18am On Feb 08, 2016
creativart:

Its essential that we know real truth behind all these things surrounding SEO and google
Yea true
Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by creativart: 9:01am On Feb 08, 2016
Kindas3325:

Bro this all wrong except the black hat part, even neilpatel do say that content is king before popularity,huffington didn't get popular in just a day he has to work and write harder before he could get popular, the truth is after u ve earned google trust then you don't have to do those shits again, why would quicksprout write over 20000 words article and yet you said content is not king, why would seomoz and backlinko write over 10k words and yet you don't believe content is king, beside you mentioned URL stuff pls can you buy a competitve keyword domain like backlinks and see how you will rank for that

If your site has the most users in it’s niche regardless of the brilliance of your articles or content your site is going to rank No. 1
Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by Kindas3325(m): 11:06am On Feb 08, 2016
creativart:

Then you are gonna get user's stable on your blog with weaky articles.
Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by creativart: 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
[quote author=Kindas3325 post=42728107][/quote]
If you are already popular it doesn't matter that's the point bro...

Tell me how content overcomes popularity....

Give me an instance and lets analyze it here

1 Like

Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by Nobody: 4:01pm On Feb 08, 2016
i'm just observing.
Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by cyberwaver(m): 5:34pm On Feb 08, 2016
creativart:
There are seven common untruths often pedaled by so-called SEO gurus who are more interested in making money off you than in truly helping your business excel.

They are:

1. Content is King

Sure your need to have good content but content is not king. Popularity is king. If your site has the most users in it’s niche regardless of the brilliance of your articles or content your site is going to rank No. 1. Actually if you want to find the most interesting articles on a topic go the pages 5-10 of Google search.

Often the blog posts buried in the back of Google search have the most unique and interesting and often local perspectives.

I offer Mashable and The Huffington Post as examples. The goals of both of these sites is to pump out masses of content based on trends. Most of the articles are regurgitated content from various sources. There is nothing much original there. Yet, their websites get ranked like crazy for almost any keywords they want purely based on the popularity of their sites.

What is the answer? Of course, writing good content is important but make sure it is relevant to your niche and do not forget to promote the content as well. Content is not king, popularity is king.

2. Just Follow Google’s Terms and Conditions and Everything Will Work Out Just Fine.

Google does not want you to rank your website. They want you to use Google Adwords and pay them a fortune in pay per click charges. Google does not like SEO because people who get good at SEO do not need AdWords and Google makes ALL of it’s money from AdWords. Matt Cutt’s blog is the last place to look for advice on SEO.

3. Black Hat Techniques Do Not Work

Since Google does not want you to use SEO, essentially there are no white hat SEO techniques. Basically, all SEO techniques are gray hat at the least. If you are trying to game Google to get your listings above others when you employ SEO techniques then you are using black/gray hat techniques.

I had a friend who was an undercover narcotics detective for years. He told me once: “Crime does pay.” He saw people involved in criminal activity all the time who were making incredible amounts of money. However, the gains were often short-term since most ended up dead or in jail.

Black hat techniques can and do work, however, Google has some good cops on the beat. Google has the most money and hires the smartest people in the world. Chances are you will not beat Google with some aggressive black hat technique. It is probably best to stay as close to grey hat as possible and not get too “greedy” and use aggressive black hat techniques. If you do, you had better know what you are doing.

4. Using Your Keywords in Your Domain Name Does Not Work

I love Neil Patel’s blog. I think his blog is one of the most comprehensive and informative blogs on SEO. However, I saw that he said that using keywords in your domain to get ranked for your keywords does not work anymore. Wrong. It works and it works extremely well. I own a site, Classifiedsubmissions.com. Type in Classified Submissions into any search engine and you will see it as No. 1 for these keywords. I also own a site “bestplumberfortluaderdale.com.” Type in Best Plumber Fort Lauderdale and I am on the first page of Google with Powerhouses such as Angie’s List, Yellow Pages and Google My Business Pages. There are countless other examples.

If you want to rank specifically for certain keywords, using those keywords in your domain is a huge factor. Of course, you could choose to promote your brand instead which often is the best choice. But sometimes you just want to rank for specific keywords and if that is your main goal using those keywords in your domain is a great technique that works very well.

5. You Will Get Penalized if You Buy Links

It is OK to buy advertising but not links? How could Google tell the difference between if somebody is advertising on a site or if they bought a link? What is the difference anyway? If the link you bought is getting you real traffic there is absolutely no problem. My advice, just meet people in back alleys and pay for your links in cash. Then the Google police will not be able to follow the money trail. As long as the sites you are buying links are quality sites I cannot see any problems in buying links.

6. I Know Google’s “Algorithims”

Anybody who says I am an “algorithim expert” or even talks too much about algorithims is, at best, delusional. Do you work at Google? Do you have inside information on exactly what works and what does not work? We already know that Matt Cutts is here to benefit Google, so anybody parroting him is not to be trusted. Nobody knows the Google algorithims and Google is not going to tell anybody. Why? Because it does not want you to game the system. It wants you to pay for AdWords.

The type of SEO I like is observational. I do not listen to what anybody says too seriously. I test and I see what works. If you want to learn SEO, type some popular keywords into Google and see what sites come up first and try to figure out why. Look at what Google does, not at what it says. There are no algorithim experts.

7. I Will Get You Ranked On The First Page of Google

Actually this is the least of all lies. Get me on the first page of Google for what? “Craigslist Alternative Pierre South Dakota, Cars, RVs, Jon Boats and Tractors?” I can guarantee that I can rank you for that term. Sure I do not control the “algorithims” at Google but common sense tells me I will have zero competition for these keywords. There are only 10,000 people in beautiful Pierre South Dakota and the chances of somebody using that exact title are almost non-existent. So actually I consider saying that “I will get you on the first page of Google” to be a white lie.

To prove my point, I have actually made a video entitled “ Craigslist Alternative Pierre South Dakota, Cars, RVs, Jon Boats and Tractors” and you can search those exact terms in Google and my video is No. 1 on Google. Even if you just type in “Craigslist Alternative Pierre South Dakota” I am No. 2 right after Craigslist’s South Dakota actual page. The ranking was almost immediate. Well, do not ask me to do the same for “Personal Injury Attorney New York.” It might take a bit more work.

My approach to SEO is to see what is actually working. Take what anybody says about SEO, including me, with a grain of salt. Part of what makes SEO so challenging and fun is that nobody really knows the rules.

Think about it, why do you need a guru anyway? You need a guru when you do not have any inside information. Spiritual gurus are supposed to have special information about the after life that us regular people have no access to. That is why we tend to “revere” them. I encourage to be your own guru and see what works (both spiritually and with SEO.) I love hearing about people’s experiences rather than theory. Please share your SEO experiences here in the comments area.

www.techpluz.com
I agree with you partaining to all the points listed here but "content is king" no matter how you promote it without content you are still one step behind...
Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by Kindas3325(m): 6:06pm On Feb 08, 2016
creativart:

If you are already popular it doesn't matter that's the point bro...

Tell me how content overcomes popularity....

Give me an instance and lets analyze it here
Chill bro, what makes you popular? Definitely its the content u re giving ur readers, take for instance when Rapper Olamide just started he sang Three magical songs that i really love Eni Duro, Boys are not smiling and Responsibity that time he works more on producing great songs for listener as to get popular and on he gets the thing, he bacame another thing and no matter what he sings people will still fall for it, my point is you have to work more harder on ur contents before u get popular and once u ve no matter how small the thing u write it will still rank well
Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by creativart: 6:33pm On Feb 08, 2016
Kindas3325:

Chill bro, what makes you popular? Definitely its the content u re giving ur readers, take for instance when Rapper Olamide just started he sang Three magical songs that i really love Eni Duro, Boys are not smiling and Responsibity that time he works more on producing great songs for listener as to get popular and on he gets the thing, he bacame another thing and no matter what he sings people will still fall for it, my point is you have to work more harder on ur contents before u get popular and once u ve no matter how small the thing u write it will still rank well
Yes you have spoken well...in some aspects content helps but it is still not the key to being number one one google, if you are in a very competitive niche you 'll never out rank that particularly popular site only with your good contents. ok speaking along with the line of the instance you made.....
Iif rapper Olamide releases a new single today and all bloggers starts their coopy and paste ,article download music topics. even if you write that long tail article on that music and embed your keyword as you like, your site will never outrank the likes tooxclusive , notjustok, naijaloaded(with so many users, they are simply popular)

ok , in the bulk sms world , because I do write a lot to ensure people find my bulk sms company, ys they I appreciate it, but I still have not reached Google's page one with all the nice articles....If content is to be King i.e the best thing you can do to rank yourself to the top its a lie, the likes of smslive247 who have achieved their top rank not with content but massive promotion, , and netbulksms(which I have seen his adverts and links many times on Nairaland)are still in front page due to the popularity they have achieved....If anyone wants to beat them in this tough competitive keyword you cant do that with your content...So in that aspect content is not king.

Here is where content is king
Niche websites - with a less competitive keywords...Am I wrong?

1 Like

Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by ekenetheorg(m): 8:12pm On Feb 08, 2016
Content remains king as a blogger, but to get SEO, content may not always be king. You can rank high through many other techniques. But as per value of a website/blog, content is king.

1 Like

Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by creativart: 8:36pm On Feb 08, 2016
ekenetheorg:
Content remains king as a blogger, but to get SEO, content may not always be king. You can rank high through many other techniques. But as per value of a website/blog, content is king.
Thank you for mentioning SEO

1 Like

Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by Kindas3325(m): 12:16am On Feb 09, 2016
creativart:

Thank you for mentioning SEO

Yeah truly you can rank as much as you can with black hat tricks but when you xperience 90percent bounce rate ur blog gets down
Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by 100ksalescom(m): 11:26am On Feb 09, 2016
@ creativart and ekenetheorg
You both have a point.

However the main point is the fact that at the initial stage of any blog if you write original content you will get attention from google.
After that attention you get increased PA and DA.
From there you do not really to focus on content anymore as you already have returning visitors.
Although i still don't believe in the 1k words content stuff as even 200 words articles still rank.

Look at your own Nairaland.
Its just a forum where people copy and paste content from other sites for discussion or back-link/traffic.

Maybe both of you can combine and open a world class blog/forum grin grin
Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by Kindas3325(m): 6:02pm On Feb 09, 2016
100ksalescom:
@ creativart and ekenetheorg
You both have a point.

However the main point is the fact that at the initial stage of any blog if you write original content you will get attention from google.
After that attention you get increased PA and DA.
From there you do not really to focus on content anymore as you already have returning visitors.
Although i still don't believe in the 1k words content stuff as even 200 words articles still rank.

Look at your own Nairaland.
Its just a forum where people copy and paste content from other sites for discussion or back-link/traffic.

Maybe both of you can combine and open a world class blog/forum grin grin

Thanks boss thats my exact point work more on content first then everything else child play
Re: 7 Common Lies About SEO - Must Read !!! by KhingLufem1(m): 8:20pm On Sep 06, 2020
Ok

(1) (Reply)

How I Add My Blog To Airtel Freebasic On Facebook.com For Free / Naij.com overtakes Nairaland in traffic / Please Can A Nigerian Blogger Use USA Or U.K Adsense On His Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.