Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,016 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) (28938 Views)

Trailer Kills Man In Benin (Viewer's Discretion Strongly Advised) / Trailer Kills Osun Polytechnic Student (Photos) / Dangote Trailer Kills People At Oji-River In Enugu - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:03am On Feb 08, 2016
No fewer than 30 male passengers died in the Adeosun area of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway on Sunday after a trailer conveying them tumbled down the road.

Over 50 other people sustained varying degrees of injuries in the crash, while two rams were killed.

The accident occurred on the portion of the expressway which had been recently reconstructed.

Our correspondents counted 25 corpses at the scene of the accident. Eyewitnesses said about five corpses had been taken to a mortuary.

Other victims of the accident, which occurred around 7am, were not removed until past 9am.

A victim, who lost two relatives, covered the faces of the deceased with clothes and broke down in tears.

Shouting the name of Allah as he wailed, the victim identified simply as Mohammed, refused all entreaties as he knelt down between the two corpses and wept bitterly.

One of the survivors of the accident, who gave his name as Mohammed Seripino, said the trailer was coming from Kaduna and had travelled all night.

He said each passenger paid N1,000 as transport fare, adding that the journey from Kaduna was smooth before the accident occurred.

“We are all Hausa. We were coming from Kaduna. Each passenger paid N1,000. This (accident) is not good,” he said.

An eyewitness, who gave his name as Yinka Dada, said he was seeing off his son, who was on his way to Lagos, when the accident occurred.

He said, “I saw everything. I was by the roadside when the accident occurred. I was with my son who was going to Lagos when I saw two vehicles speeding as if they were competing in a race.

“The other vehicle was able to control the wheel, while the driver of the trailer lost control, tumbled down the expressway, and spilled out the passengers one after another.”

Officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps at the Ibadan Tollgate Unit, who came for rescue operation, refused to talk to our correspondents.

“We cannot talk to you now. I am not the boss here. I have bosses who can talk to you later if you come to our unit at the tollgate. You can see we are busy now,” an official told one of our correspondents.

A police patrol van with two officials also visited the scene.

One of the policemen in the van told those with minor injuries to help those with critical injuries into the police van.

However, some sympathisers said the responses of both the police and the officials of the FRSC were poor, and began to rain curses on Nigeria’s political class.

An Electrical Engineering student of the Abdul Gusau Polytechnic, Zamfara, who did not disclose his name, said government should be blamed for the poor response to the plight of the victims.

The student said, “Our leaders have embezzled all the money that should be used to put infrastructure in place. This is why people are dying like rats.”

A middle-aged man, Onyekachi Otuonye, lamented rescuers’ response time to the accident.

Otuonye said, “This is deplorable. Even slaves should not be treated like this. Human lives should be treated with respect and dignity.”

A man in a cleric robe, who attributed the accident to witches and wizards, was shouted down by some sympathisers.

When the man brought out a book of his predictions on the accident that would occur on the road in 2016, sympathisers warned him to stop, saying there were no witches on the road.

One of the sympathisers, Biliaminu Awodele, who confronted the cleric, said, “Accidents happen all over the world, nobody dey blame witches and wizards, abeg, carry your yeye prediction commot here!”

However, the FRSC said 17 people died in the accident, while 79 others were injured.

The Oyo State Sector Commander, FRSC, Yusuf Salami, said the accident involved an articulated vehicle and a Peugeot J5 vehicle.

He explained that both vehicles were travelling to Lagos, adding that the accident was caused by impatience, speeding and struggle for right of way.

He said, “A Peugeot J5 with number plate, XS 626 LSV, and a DAF articulated vehicle with number plate, AA 902 MML, had an accident as both drivers were struggling for the right of the way. They were both going to Lagos when the accident happened around 9.30am on Sunday. It happened just before the campus of the Dominion University in Sepo, on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

“There were 96 people involved, with 17 confirmed dead. It is obvious that both drivers were speeding and suddenly lost control of the vehicles. The Peugeot bus was loaded with passengers and goods, but the casualty figure rose because the other vehicle was travelling to Lagos with huge number of illegal passengers.”

Source:

http://www.punchng.com/30-die-as-speeding-trailer-tumbles-down-expressway/

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by tunwumi: 6:10am On Feb 08, 2016
Horrible

The level of poverty is very high in this country. How can human packed themselves like sardine?

6 Likes

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Niyeal(m): 6:10am On Feb 08, 2016
R. I. P
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by madridguy(m): 6:12am On Feb 08, 2016
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by dabbyz(f): 6:14am On Feb 08, 2016
Disaster
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by chelseaboi(m): 6:16am On Feb 08, 2016
[sup][/sup]
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Omexonomy: 6:16am On Feb 08, 2016
madridguy:
Ok
why is it that most northerner are fond of travelling in thousand arraiging themsevles in trailer? R.i.p to the dead.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Nobody: 6:18am On Feb 08, 2016
Human beings loaded as goods in a trailer? Why this stupidity naa. Rip though.

2 Likes

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Nobody: 6:20am On Feb 08, 2016
End time trailer with end time driver

2 Likes

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Nobody: 6:20am On Feb 08, 2016
RIP sad

this is wat happens when government doesn't pay close attention to bad roads, and fix them!

btw, why do we always have to blame these government-are-too-wicked-to-fix problems on witches and wizards

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by madridguy(m): 6:21am On Feb 08, 2016
It is lack of information about the danger involved. I hope the Federal government in partnership with FRSC will start looking inward.

Omexonomy:
why is it that most northerner are fond of travelling in thousand arraiging themsevles in trailer? R.i.p to the dead.
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by mrofficial(m): 6:21am On Feb 08, 2016
SirJeffry:
Human beings loaded as goods in a trailer? Why this stupidity naa. Rip though.

It's a common thing on the highways. Pack themselves as Sardines.

4 Likes

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Omexonomy: 6:25am On Feb 08, 2016
madridguy:
It is lack of information about the danger involved. I hope the Federal government in partnership with FRSC will start looking inward.

the way these people pack themselves is a sight to behold and since it is the northerner then the FRSC is powerless.

1 Like

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by ajbabs(m): 6:30am On Feb 08, 2016
Too bar
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by ajbabs(m): 6:30am On Feb 08, 2016
Too bad
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Khd95(m): 6:37am On Feb 08, 2016
They were prolly bh fleeing frm the army onslaught in NE,we cyant say,but rip
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by madridguy(m): 6:49am On Feb 08, 2016
Do you mean FRSC don't care about the lives and property of Northerner or what ? Abi why are they powerless ? Are northerner above the law ?

Omexonomy:
the way these people pack themselves is a sight to behold and since it is the northerner then the FRSC is powerless.

1 Like

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by 100Cents: 6:50am On Feb 08, 2016
Jesus Wept
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Kx: 6:53am On Feb 08, 2016
Omexonomy:

Do road trip from Kaduna to Abuja, only then will the meaning of what u said above sink.

They play their music loud, speed at 140km/hr on that road without seat belt, and shockingly, frsc sees this things and look the other way.

Having seen that first hand, I have come to the conclusion that the over hyped frsc is for the south alone and they even over do by harassing drivers down south while their northern counterparts care less about road safety.

2 Likes

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Onyejiuwaokoh: 6:57am On Feb 08, 2016
Omexonomy:
to reduce cost
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by DailyPost: 7:24am On Feb 08, 2016
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by DailyPost: 7:25am On Feb 08, 2016
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by brunofarad(m): 7:28am On Feb 08, 2016
God have mercy
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by INTROVERT(f): 7:28am On Feb 08, 2016
Sorry

The FRSC should do something about trailers carrying goods and mallams on top of that. It's dangerous and risky. You see a trailer carrying yam or cows and about 20-50 mallams on top of the cargo again.

1 Like

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Chuksworld(m): 7:28am On Feb 08, 2016
May God save us oh
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by cutetopsey(f): 7:28am On Feb 08, 2016
shocked
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Nobody: 7:29am On Feb 08, 2016
May their souls rest in peace embarassed
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Benjom(m): 7:29am On Feb 08, 2016
Break failure?
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by DrRiskVirus01: 7:30am On Feb 08, 2016
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by Mattew690(m): 7:30am On Feb 08, 2016
God Help Us All

RIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by menix(m): 7:30am On Feb 08, 2016
Rip to the dead..

How come only two ram died
Seems Ram re now stronger than human.

Certainly I will blame the govt(FRSC) cous this mode of transportation is not new in nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Trailer Kills 30 Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photo) by nagidarabani: 7:31am On Feb 08, 2016
Hmmm OMO

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos To Tackle Ketu Traffic Congestion With Construction Of Lay-Bys / Car Crashes Into A Bar In Abakaliki As EBSU Students Run (Graphic Pics) / My Mom Booked A Brazil Ticket For A July 30 Flight But Brazil Has Not Given Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.