Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,552 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:21 PM

'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' (42227 Views)

"We Are Both AS Genotype And We Don't Consider Break-Up As An Option" / Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' / Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by glossy6(f): 5:16pm On Feb 08, 2016
DExplorer1:
Hmm...it's pretty hard believing. Face God if he's really SS. Faith works.

But it could be funny asking for a cure to something that has always been. Just stop any thought of having another child for now.

Wrong! You have to give birth to many kids in case of....However, the genotype of the unborn (foetus ) can be checked using the amniotic fluid. You can then decide either to abort the foetus or carry it to term.

There is room for miracles. My SS colleague turned AS and is married now

1 Like

Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by SirHosni(m): 5:19pm On Feb 08, 2016
I think u should enquire more about Nicosan tablets. It helps and i'v been on daily dosage of that for years now though am of sc genotype.
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by aalangel(f): 5:19pm On Feb 08, 2016
MentalCase:

They did it just once. Just once! And you can't tell if it was done in a credible hospital. I've known my genotype and blood group since I was 15 and I keep repeating the test every year. . just in case. They have themselves to blame!

Well, never knew mine till I was pregnant with my first child. Individual differences.
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by Praktikals(m): 5:20pm On Feb 08, 2016
PresVA:

I join my faith with yours and pray your next kids be completely devoid of the trait...

1 Like

Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by davealpha: 5:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
Dear writer ,u have noting to worry about its not a death sentence .I am a sickler n will b 34yrs by April.my parents have eight children of which 4 of us r sicklers.we r all alive n healthy.believe in God,love ur child,b religious to his medications n ur child wil b fine.as for ur husbands genotype,its either d hospital is wrong or he lied abt it cos he can't afford to loose u.pray,dats all I can tel u

2 Likes

Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by quinlatifat: 5:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
Truth be told, there isn't any cheap and easy medical cure available. But it could be managed. 1) u hav 2b sure its sickle cell thats causing the present ailment, swollen stomach indicates several medical conditions. I will advice u take an abdominal ultrasound and focus mainly on the liver and spleen. That aside, there is a guaranteed traditional cure. But i wont drop my number to avoid ban but there are people on this nairaland that has benefited from it. Always give him enough WATER, FOLIC ACID & PALUDRINE. Stay blessed

2 Likes

Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by dupsai(f): 5:25pm On Feb 08, 2016
Take the baby to National Sickle Cell center opposite Lagos University Teaching Hospital ldiaraba Lagos. You will be counseled on how best to take care of him and he will be placed on medication that is safe for his age. You will also be guided on what to do in order not to have another child with the disorder again. As for your husband genotype, mistakes do happen. The reagents they used for the first test may be fake or not active enough. Above all, be prayerful and ask God for strength to accept what you can not change and the grace to cope with the challenge. Plenty love to the little warrior.
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by GodMode: 5:25pm On Feb 08, 2016
davealpha:
Dear writer ,u have noting to worry about its not a death sentence .I am a sickler n will b 34yrs by April.my parents have eight children of which 4 of us r sicklers.we r all alive n healthy.believe in God,love ur child,b religious to his medications n ur child wil b fine.as for ur husbands genotype,its either d hospital is wrong or he lied abt it cos he can't afford to loose u.pray,dats all I can tel u

4 sicklers that's bad and dangerous...

You guys must have sacrificed a lot of social activities and live a careful and quiet life..

2 Likes

Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by henrybomb(m): 5:25pm On Feb 08, 2016
Lagusta:

@dominique dont you think this man deserves a life ban
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by henrybomb(m): 5:26pm On Feb 08, 2016
Lagusta:

@dominique dont you think this man deserves a life ban
Sure I tink so
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by gly2ken: 5:28pm On Feb 08, 2016
I suggest your baby would have been interchange during birth with another persons baby. DNA test should be conducted or did somebody play away match. More question than answer

2 Likes

Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by GodMode: 5:29pm On Feb 08, 2016
k
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by henrybomb(m): 5:30pm On Feb 08, 2016
HermajestyQ:
From the little I know of medicine, ones genotype doesn't change for any reason. I will suggest that u & ur hubby go back to the hospital for genotype test again. Its most likely that the result given to the one of you was switched with another person's. As to the cure for sickle cell, there is no known cure. SS can only be managed whenever your baby have crises. God help u both.
I suggest u go to a different hospital to do test just to be affirmative its not easy hearing one's child is SS..just take it easy God is in control
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by MentalCase(m): 5:33pm On Feb 08, 2016
aalangel:

Well, never knew mine till I was pregnant with my first child. Individual differences.
And you took a risk, you know?
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by GodMode: 5:34pm On Feb 08, 2016
k
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by adeolaod(m): 5:35pm On Feb 08, 2016
hello op..the same thing happened to me..I did my one test before gaining admission then in 2001 and ever since then have a notion that I am aa..Story short..our first was confirmed as and I a almost commit suicide.. runnedr many test afterward and it confirmed me as as.. I lost it..suicide always on my mind,every time..the married almost collapsed but for the families and I still thank my wife for staying..resolution: we will take of him no matter what,registered him to a health insurance scheme... will only give birth to 2to enable a prenatal diagnosis which we did for the second child with high rocks in lagos,thank God she is as.. 2:dedicate just 3k monthly for his drugs which needed to be taken morning and night and u need to see him. 3:erase any negative thought about it and channel every thing toward taking care of the child...

my turning point came when my doctor pointed a couple to me that have HIV with their kid during my suicidal stage and I just stood up and wiped my tears away.. I want to convince my son that he is really as when he grows and still don't know what to tell him then..

it's not a death sentence and please take good care of the baby..

my kid will be 4 by July and he is great

2 Likes

Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by myselfonly: 5:42pm On Feb 08, 2016
http://tijjanimuhammadmusa..co.ke/2014/04/sickle-cell-has-cure-poetry.html?m=1

Sickle cell kills
But only if God Wills
Some say it has no cure
But none of them is sure
There's no sickness on earth
That lacks a cure except death
Oops, less I forget there's old age too
But treat that by being a young @ heart boo
(c)(r)2014 Tijjani M. M.
all rights reserved

There is medicine for sickle cell in Kano by a Trado-
medical doctor. His name is Khamis Kibiya and his place
Sangarib Trado-medical Center is located along Zaria
Road opposite Gidan Glass, Gyadi-gyadi Quarters. His
numbers are 08033499827 and 08028349463. Please
call him and make arrangements to visit him in Kano.
This is for all Sickle Cell patients world wide. He has
cured my 2 children of the sickness. One a boy, now in
JSS 3 has not had a crisis in the last 11 years. For
the first 2 years of his life, it was unimaginable pains
for him and for us. His sister is just about 2 years
now and since we discovered she was SS too, we took
her to him and as Allaah (God) Wills, it has been close
to 8 months now without her showing any more signs
of the sickness. Please if you care for yourself or
your loved ones suffering from the traumatic
disease, take the chance and verify for yourself. You
never know this might be the end of that unending
hospital visitations.

Someone asked if he has cures for other ailments?
That I can not outrightly vouch for. But, as far as
the dreaded sickle cell anaemia is concerned, may
Allaah SWT bear me Witness. I decided to inform
because people are dieing due to the disease as Allaah
Willed in the belief that it has no cure, but indeed
there's a cure for it. My two kids are living proofs.
So, if you know or anybody knows of someone who is
a sickler patient, they should please and please
contact him.
It is taking away so many more due to ignorance.
Nasir El-Rufai just announced the death of a
daughter from their family yesterday on facebook. I
saw the post today and it made me decide to let the
world know that THERE'S A CURE FOR SICKLE
CELL ANEMIA IN KANO, NIGERIA!

We surely need to inform the world about this and we
will. But, this is for those who have already
committed the "mistake" of marrying sickle cell
carriers and so likely to have sickler offsprings. Just
to let them know that all hope is not lost.

http://tijjanimuhammadmusa..co.ke/2014/04/sickle-cell-has-cure-poetry.html?m=1
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by loffyloffy: 5:49pm On Feb 08, 2016
Please visit university of Benin teaching hospital.. they have a novel treatment for SS that can work for a child his age the time to act is now...the saying that ss is not treatable is not true..there is stem cell replacement.. uniben teaching hospital and some other ones I think are offering it..right now
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by chijen(f): 5:51pm On Feb 08, 2016
Dear poster,
Really want to encourage u as a Ss patient. I will be 34yrs in August, a mum and also very healthy. U need not blame ur husband cos some of these lab scientists are prone to errors. U would av sought for a second opinion though. When I was pregnant in 2013/2014 for my first child, I did a genotype type which was mandated by the hospital, albeit knowing my genotype as ss since University days. The hospital gave me AA, I look very healthy, in fact, except I tell u my genotype will u believe me. I told the lab scientist that there was an error some where which do occur sometimes cos I don't know the way they do the test sometimes, anyway, a test re-run was done and it came out to be Ss. The lab scientist apologized and commended me to continue in good health, mind u, the test was carried out in a general Hospital in lagos state.
Sickle cell management can be very challenging especially if u don't have God and money. I thank God that mine isn't the serious type whereby u frequent hospital and take blood. I'm grateful to God for all cos I only took blood once in my entire life, which was during my pregnancy.
The best way to manage ur child are:
Proper balanced diet
Folic acid(Dr Meyers Folic acid that's the one I take)
Avoid extreme cold weather (always cover ur child up once the environment is so cold cos it could trigger painful bone pain crisis)
Avoid anything that will make the child feel inferior, angry, anxious or depressed cos it could trigger crisis. No competition with other kids to prove a point.
No stress or anything that requires exertion of muscle.
Avoid sweets or unhealthy foods, always keep him hydrated, eat plenty of protein, vegetables and fruits to boost d child's pcv.
Always treat against malaria, typhoid or infections cos it could trigger crisis.
Let him be on paludrine antimalaria or u treat for malaria once in 3-4mths.
Make sure u show the child so much love in times of crisis cos it will surely come but how u manage it determines how ur child perceives or sees himself.
Above all, always trust God that no matter the level of the crisis ur child will not die.
Finally, my parents are both As but I'm the only one with the Ss gene amidst 5 children. Keep emergency money cos crisis can come anytime, always trust God for strength. I do have like 3 crisis in a yr and I rarely visit the hospital cos I have learnt to manage it. Go to luth in idiaraba Lagos, if u re there or lasuth. It's well

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by frankblinkz(m): 5:51pm On Feb 08, 2016
dis is d more reason y u need to know ur spouse very well if she/he is really meant for u to marry,blind love push many marrying the wrong genotypes wch result to dis......imaging wat dat child is passing through nw...this is only cured by miracles...May God heal ur children.
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by Nobody: 5:53pm On Feb 08, 2016
sorry dear. sincerely speaking lab error is very common in our society especially dos da involve genotype sickling test n electrophoresis. You are not alone in ds regad. I think what u sud av done is to go to oda center at least two centres for d confirmation of the result u n yo husband before you go ahead for the marriage. One single result is very deadly especially when ones is at risk i.e heterogenous.
Concerning yo babe he can leave his normal life in as much as u follow instruction. Meet paediatrician or medical doctor dy can help u out. One of the think to do is to study the pr
ecipitating factor of his crisis such as cold, dehydration, fever etc n u will be surprise that he will never or have just mild crisis n leave to the time God appointing for him to leave. as par cure in this part of the world there is no cure but in advanced country they can do stem cell transplant n odas.
My candid advic for you is to see your counsellor n your family doctor for your marriage.
May God be with us all.
Lesson in every test never rely on single test always go for confirmatory test, the risk may be deadly.
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by britiko: 5:56pm On Feb 08, 2016
@dominique
sorry about the mix up in the test results and sincerely i understand how you feel. i think he might be an SC and not SS cos of the swelling symptoms, however the deed has already been done hence we look for a head way.

My advice
*** Be STRONG AND POSITIVE MINDED.

***Watch your son closely. He mustn't engage in too stressful activities. However, allow him to live a normal life just limit his engagements

***His best fluid must be water. let him have his water bottle filled with water at all times. he must drink a lot of water. this will make his blood flow easily and not congeal to avoid joint pains. he must never be dehydrated. dehydration trigggers crisis.

***Give him Folic acid and paludrin on a daily basis.

***Feed him with lots of vegetables and fruits. try to discover what fruit he likes most. no junk food please, let him snack on fruits

*** Register him at the sickle cell foundation at idi araba LUTH and ensure you keep to the appointments that is, if you live in Lagos.
in Ogun state you can visit Sacred Heart Hospital Lantoro. i know Dr Adegbite was in charge of the sicklers then.

***Encourage him at all times, dont let pple know his health status so that he wont be stigmatized. stigmatization usually leads to a low self esteem and depression among some kids with this condition but they turn out to be very brilliant on the long run. Nevertheless, you have to inform his school authority about his health status so that they know how to handle him in-terms of corporal punishments and even inform you promptly when they notice anything or he falls sick at school.

*** Your child must avoid extreme weather conditions. Not too cold nor too hot . moderation is key.

**** Sickle cell aneamia is curable by a bone marrow transplant but very expensive. If you are financially capable, give it a trial. its worth it.

*** Lastly,Pray like never before. prayer answereth all things. Believe that your son will live to fulfill Gods purpose in life. Someday everyone will die. Being an SS is not a death sentence but a blood condition that can be survived if managed properly. The bulk of the responsibility lies with you the mum. I Pray the Lord strengthens you. You will live to give testimony over his life.

2 Likes

Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by Numerouuuno: 6:02pm On Feb 08, 2016
chijen:
Dear poster,
Really want to encourage u as a Ss patient. I will be 34yrs in August, a mum and also very healthy. U need not blame ur husband cos some of these lab scientists are prone to errors. U would av sought for a second opinion though. When I was pregnant in 2013/2014 for my first child, I did a genotype type which was mandated by the hospital, albeit knowing my genotype as ss since University days. The hospital gave me AA, I look very healthy, in fact, except I tell u my genotype will u believe me. I told the lab scientist that there was an error some where which do occur sometimes cos I don't know the way they do the test sometimes, anyway, a test re-run was done and it came out to be Ss. The lab scientist apologized and commended me to continue in good health, mind u, the test was carried out in a general Hospital in lagos state.
Sickle cell management can be very challenging especially if u don't have God and money. I thank God that mine isn't the serious type whereby u frequent hospital and take blood. I'm grateful to God for all cos I only took blood once in my entire life, which was during my pregnancy.
The best way to manage ur child are:
Proper balanced diet
Folic acid(Dr Meyers Folic acid that's the one I take)
Avoid extreme cold weather (always cover ur child up once the environment is so cold cos it could trigger painful bone pain crisis)
Avoid anything that will make the child feel inferior, angry, anxious or depressed cos it could trigger crisis. No competition with other kids to prove a point.
No stress or anything that requires exertion of muscle.
Avoid sweets or unhealthy foods, always keep him dehydrated, eat plenty of protein, vegetables and fruits to boost d child's pcv.
Always treat against malaria, typhoid or infections cos it could trigger crisis.
Let him be on paludrine antimalaria or u treat for malaria once in 3-4mths.
Make sure u show the child so much love in times of crisis cos it will surely come but how u manage it determines how ur child perceives or sees himself.
Above all, always trust God that no matter the level of the crisis ur child will not die.
Finally, my parents are both As but I'm the only one with the Ss gene amidst 5 children. Keep emergency money cos crisis can come anytime, always trust God for strength. I do have like 3 crisis in a yr and I rarely visit the hospital cos I have learnt to manage it. Go to luth in idiaraba Lagos, if u re there or lasuth. It's well

@bolded, I believe chijen means HYDRATED.

1 Like

Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by chokovirus: 6:02pm On Feb 08, 2016
sapiosexual1:

Ur a pathetic fellow, SMH for you. It's ur pastor that ur advertising, not the Jesus of your pastor. The gullibility of Nigeria xtians deserves an episode on Discovery channel.
cc chokovirus
cc wendypenny

The 'non-gullible' Nigerian, why you dey take dis issue personal? give your own advice if you have none you should shut up rather than using such derogatory terms like 'gullibility' or pathetic ? Abi u expect me to refer her to Pastor Sapiosexual abi Jesus of Pastor Sapiosexual? Mtschew... Abeg clear for road if you no get beta thing to talk jor. undecided
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by kalebsky: 6:08pm On Feb 08, 2016
Lanretoye:
Eeyah,its a pity...
Prolly one person lied through an arraggee genotype test,I think all of you should go for a confirmation test but if things are still the same,u should just relocate to reedeem camp(real madrid) or synagogue (barca). Depending on which one of them you choose, someday in one of those night vigils God might just decide to have mercy on you and ur family.

hmmm...
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by chijen(f): 6:11pm On Feb 08, 2016
Pls, don't give the child too much drugs oh. Mind the type of pain relieving tablets u give him and the type of pain injections too. Look for a sickle cell clinic to register him. Don't mind what u read online about Ss /SC. Experience and management differs. Just make sure he eats healthy, take plenty of fluids, fruits and vegetables. He should be exempted from corporal punishments like kneeling down, raising of hands for a long time. Never walk in the rain or the properly clothed in extreme weather conditions. Always make sure he is well rested and less worry. Always give him folic acid. My mum said that in her subsequent pregnancies, she ate vegetables and fruits well, took anti malaria before conception and was on serious folic acid too before conception and through out during pregnancy and post delivery. Eat well when pregnant and take folic acid, fruits and multivitamins well

1 Like

Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by stonecoldcafe: 6:12pm On Feb 08, 2016
[size=18pt]This is the advice I always give to anyone in this SS position. I read it from Bella Naija years ago and it remains my go to guide for cases like this:

http://www.bellanaija.com/2014/06/ask-dr-craig-sickle-cell-disorder/

This is for anybody with questions on SS, AS, AS matter. God bless us all. [/size]
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by Dyt(f): 6:23pm On Feb 08, 2016
GodMode:

when it comes to health and life realities.... prayer can't do anything.

Don't you pray for yourself daily?
By that I don't mean to test God
I believe in God and I don't even come close to testing Him
A true believer in God

I pray for myself
My son
My mum
My friends
My family

Prayer does lot but I am not saying ignore precautions
Help yourself so God helps you
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by chijen(f): 6:33pm On Feb 08, 2016
[quote author=Numerouuuno post=42738826]
Thanks, I meant hydrated.
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by linearity: 6:42pm On Feb 08, 2016
toyetade:

I am AS and my wife is AS but we don't have any SS child among our children. The youngest among them is now 16 years. Who says you can't have children that is not SS, Be a born again christian

It is game of chance, AS/AS have 50% probality of birthing AS, 25% for AA and 25% for SS.
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by DExplorer1: 6:42pm On Feb 08, 2016
glossy6:

Wrong! You have to give birth to many kids in case of....However, the genotype of the unborn (foetus ) can be checked using the amniotic fluid. You can then decide either to abort the foetus or carry it to term.

There is room for miracles. My SS colleague turned AS and is married now
I still didn't see where I was wrong since we typed almost the same reasoning.

Or are you suggesting she keeps birthing SS children?
Re: 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' by Okenny20(m): 6:43pm On Feb 08, 2016
Madam, it is well with your baby. Pls, try to get Trevo. It is food supplement that works on human cell. It supports sickle cell very well. I have heard several testimonies of sickle cell patients that are doing great now after taking Trevo. If you don't know how to get it, pls call me 08039601259. Kenny

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Governor Ikpeazu Playing Table Tennis At Isolation Centre / A Friend Needs A Help On His Leg Challenge (Graphics Photos) / Doctors Please Help: I'm Having Weak Erection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.