Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,862 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:03 AM

​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari (28096 Views)

"I Stand With Buhari" Rally Holds In Awka, Anambra Despite IPOB Threats (Pics) / Presidency Reacts To Brouhaha Over Telegraph Interview-pilot Newspaper / Ministerial List: What Buhari Did That Shocked Tinubu, Osinbajo – New Telegraph (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by adeboizy11(m): 6:33pm On Feb 08, 2016
OgbeifunErom:
Now we have the full interview and not the distorted version

I have read the entire interview and I have not seen any part where PMB referred to Nigerians as criminals

IPOB and their wailing associates are desperate because they can see that corruption is about to take a knock in our polity.

These IPObians are still mourning the loss of their jesus on earth, the ineffectual buffoon and drunkard from Otueke

I'm so proud of Buhari, the way he ignores the IPOB wailers is just excellent. That is what the animals deserve, afterall they are no longer relevant in Nigerian politics.

Any person that disagrees with what Baba said should go for a brain check up, you might be suffering from mental incapacity

Now the truth is out, the only reason why IPOB are angry is because Buhari referred to DRUG SMUGGLERS . Guilty Conscience is eating their soul up.

God bless Nigeria

God bless Buhari

Haters of Nigeria can go and die

So u didn't see where he said dey were locked in prisons across d world for drug trafficking? Dah one no mean criminal act abi? Na wa ooo
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Lionsclaw: 6:33pm On Feb 08, 2016
When they call you guys zombie una go vex. Go and read the news headline THE TELEGRAPH made on that simple comment buhari made. You think the press will say it exactly how he said it. They will say what you implied in their headlines and not repeat your exact words and as people all over the world read just the headline they are satisfied and not all will read further.

BUHARI QUOTE
Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but then again some Nigerians have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in different prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking.

TELEGRAPH HEADLINE QUOTE
Nigerians's reputation for crime has made them unwelcome in Britain, says country's president

Bottomline Buhari must go back to school to learn how to speak in public

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by diegwu01: 6:35pm On Feb 08, 2016
This goes to show you most public commentators like Ben bruce, et al dwell on gossip spread by the IPOB folks and without verification they spew their ignorance to the world and hope for the Wailers to cheer. rat

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Mynd44: 6:36pm On Feb 08, 2016
SamJed:
For those looking for where he referred to Nigerians as criminals, Google is there for you but incase you are so lazy to Google it by yourself, here is the link...read it up yourself http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/nigeria/12143510/Nigerians-reputation-for-crime-has-made-them-unwelcome-in-Britain-says-countrys-president.html
When you read articles, there are things called quotes and they are mostly put in "". That sign signifies that the person being interviewed said thise exact words.

Please go thought the article, I know you want to point to this
Nigeria's president has warned his fellow citizens to stop trying to make asylum claims in Britain, saying that their reputation for criminality has made it hard for them to be "accepted" abroad.

But are those the exact words of the president? Are they in quotation marks or the opinion of the writer?

Thank you

4 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by SamJed(m): 6:37pm On Feb 08, 2016
OgbeifunErom:

Nonsense

The only reason why IPOB YOUTHS are crying is because of the reference to DRUG SMUGGLERS!!!

Evil DRUG SMUGGLERS FROM IPOB LAND

Corruption loving evil people
this stuff called IPOB keep giving people like you nightmares....please read up the link and comprehend it...and please stop behaving 'toutish'

1 Like

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Jorussia(m): 6:37pm On Feb 08, 2016
SamJed:
For those looking for where he referred to Nigerians as criminals, Google is there for you but incase you are so lazy to Google it by yourself, here is the link...read it up yourself http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/nigeria/12143510/Nigerians-reputation-for-crime-has-made-them-unwelcome-in-Britain-says-countrys-president.html
**** what is difference between the one posted here and that in your link?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by OgbeifunErom: 6:39pm On Feb 08, 2016
adeboizy11:

So u didn't see where he said dey were locked in prisons across d world for drug trafficking? Dah one no mean criminal act abi? Na wa ooo

So that is the reason why IPOB Youths are angry

Because he made reference to Drug smugglers

6 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Nobody: 6:40pm On Feb 08, 2016
obailala:
Can you just kindly point out in the quote where PMB said all Nigerians are criminals?
Is it a new thing or a lie that a lot of Nigerians are in prisons in the UK?
Did anybody say ALL Nigerians are criminals?

It's quite amusing and interesting to observe how sentiments and silly prejudices completely blocks the comprehension ability of some humans.

You mean that statement is okay by you? Would you have seen it same way if GEJ made that statement?

1 Like

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by obailala(m): 6:41pm On Feb 08, 2016
adeboizy11:

Are there not some Nigerians locked up in prison in the UK?
Are there not some Nigerians who are criminals?
Did PMB say in his quote that ALL Nigerians are criminals?

It's very funny indeed observing how some irrational prejudices completely blocks the comprehension ability of some humans. I am really enjoying this social experiment seeing how a lot of Nigerians are gradually losing it all because of sentiments.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 08, 2016
magicminister:

[size=15pt]"Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but then again some Nigerians have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in different prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking".[/size]

Looool... you sure say u go school??
If you did, biko did u graduate??

If you cannot deduce that what he meant there was that a few bad eggs have given the rest a bad image abroad then I think you need to look for the nearest buffoon and quickly give away your brain... your body obviously does not need it as all u have up in your head is a resounding echo.

4 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by AreaFada2: 6:44pm On Feb 08, 2016
ziddy:

Wasn't he telling the truth?

Diplomacy is a key skill. The maybe 0.0005% that may commit crime should not be a key issue for defining Nigerians.

Nigerians in Nigeria commit far more crime: land fraud, bribery/corruption, forged documents, illegal driving/obtaining licence, dangerous driving, election rigging/electoral fraud, tax evasion, perjury, breach of public peace, environmental pollution, robbery, ritual killing, jungle justice, teacher sleeping with minor student, abuse of power, domestic violence, abusing/injuring housemaid, assault, contract inflation, etc. People go to jail for far lesser crime in Europe/America than deeds Nigerians just do casually and take as normal.

Even the president of Nigerian senate is going to court for a criminal trial. And still presiding jeje.
Where else does that happen?

I know dozens of Nigerians in UK. I cannot recollect anyone that has been to prison. The ratio of Nigerians in UK prison is not higher than the ratio of "lowest socio-economic" class whites to middle class/rich white people in prison.

That is, whites with a similar social deprivation as some struggling immigrants have similar or even higher percentage committing crimes.

David Cameron now wants to investigate why more black people who commit similar crimes as white people get sent to prison than whites.
Basically a black person can be jailed for doing same crime as a white guy who never goes to prison.

2 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Nobody: 6:45pm On Feb 08, 2016
Mynd44:

When you read articles, there are things called quotes and they are mostly put in "". That sign signifies that the person being interviewed said thise exact words.

But are those the exact words of the president? Are they in quotation marks or the opinion of the writer?

Thank you

Polite but..... angry
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Jexyme(f): 6:45pm On Feb 08, 2016
TippyTop:
After going through the entire interview you wonder how this illiterate got himself to power.

After going thru the interview and reading your comment I really wonder who is not only an illiterate but a nimcompoop.

2 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by koko2000: 6:48pm On Feb 08, 2016
[quote author=magicminister post=42738964]

[size=15pt]"Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but then again some Nigerians have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in different prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking".[/size]
Even if this statement he said is true, no President that embrace every tribe in his country will say that outside. He may say Nigerian don't have any reason to seek asylum outside and end it there. Soki lobe oge

1 Like

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by habsydiamond(m): 6:48pm On Feb 08, 2016
At least he deserve a round of applause because he composed something meaning. pls and pls if u are not satisfied u can call Mrs. patience jonathan to come and give her own speech. Tanks

1 Like

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by paschu: 6:50pm On Feb 08, 2016
OgbeifunErom:

[s]Nonsense

The only reason why IPOB YOUTHS are crying is because of the reference to DRUG SMUGGLERS!!!

Evil DRUG SMUGGLERS FROM IPOB LAND

Corruption loving evil people[/s]

Even the Briton who conducted the interview was able to see and comment on mr. buhari's insensitivity, but here are some so called nigerians butt-reasoning otherwise. Anyway, just to fulfill all righteousness, here's an excerpt from the published report.

Mr Buhari's remarks may upset refugees' rights groups, who claim that the vast majority of asylum cases lodged by Nigerians are genuine. In recent years, many have said they are fleeing Boko Haram, the Islamist group that Mr Buhari's army is now struggling to stamp out in northern Nigeria.

However, only around one in ten of the 13,000 asylum claims lodged by Nigerians in Britain in the last 15 years have been accepted.

And the claims of persecution appear to cut no ice at all with Mr Buhari, a headmasterly figure who famously waged a "war on indiscipline" on his fellow Nigerians while serving as the country's military ruler in the 1980s.

• At least 50 killed as Boko Haram attacks Nigerian village
Back then, Nigerians could be whipped if they did not stand in line at bus queues, while lazy civil servants were forced to do frog jumps in the office if they arrived for work late.
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by frisky2good(m): 6:51pm On Feb 08, 2016
Some people are too dumb to understand that a president needs to pick his words carefully. If a father wakes up and says his daughter has many boy friends, neighbours can one day accuse the girl of prostitution.

Now, although Buhari did not specifically call Nigerians criminals anyone wanting to sensationalize the story can make it appear he did. This is the first version telegraph released

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/nigeria/12143510/Nigerians-reputation-for-crime-has-made-them-unwelcome-in-Britain-says-countrys-president.html

1 Like

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by StunningCEO: 6:52pm On Feb 08, 2016
Super1Star:
Where in the whole of that transcript of the interview did PMB called Nigerians criminals?

Ben Bruce indeed has the face Obama and the brain of Obanikoro.

Koro ooooo.... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by OgbeifunErom: 6:56pm On Feb 08, 2016
paschu:

Even the Briton who conducted the interview was able to see and comment on mr. buhari's insensitivity, but here are some so called nigerians butt-reasoning otherwise. Anyway, just to fulfill all righteousness, here's an excerpt from the published report.

Nonsense

Who cares about Refugee groups?

Is that part of Buhari's responsibilities?

Drug Smugglers and their family are angry

grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by seguntijan(m): 6:58pm On Feb 08, 2016
"A number of Nigerians use the migrant routes to come to the UK to claim asylum, saying their lives are at risk from Boko Haram. Is is legitimate for them to do so? "Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but then again some Nigerians have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in different prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking. I don't think Nigerians have anybody to blame. They can remain at home. Their services are required to rebuild the country. If their countrymen misbehaved, the best thing for them is to stay at home and encourage the credibility of the nation." Do you think that Nigerians have an image problem abroad? "Certainly. But we are on our way to salvage that. We will encourage our countrymen to stay at home, work hard and make a respectable living at home." I have been running some trainings for a while and I heard that our President said we are criminals and I have been wondering what could make him say such, a whole President. I was on twitter the other day and I saw a hashtag has been developed as well, this is serious. I just saw the said interview now and the part that aroused unwarranted anger has been shared above. I am so livid at this point at the stupidity of some supposed learned people. How can you not read before jumping to conclusions. This hatred or whatever is getting serious. What is actually going on? You have a B.Sc. and PhD. yet you still act like a primary school kid on top wetin? O ga o # YouAreNotACriminalButYouAreStupid

5 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by paschu: 7:00pm On Feb 08, 2016
Lionsclaw:
When they call you guys zombie una go vex. Go and read the news headline THE TELEGRAPH made on that simple comment buhari made. You think the press will say it exactly how he said it. They will say what you implied in their headlines and not repeat your exact words and as people all over the world read just the headline they are satisfied and not all will read further.

BUHARI QUOTE
Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but then again some Nigerians have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in different prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking.

TELEGRAPH HEADLINE QUOTE
Nigerians's reputation for crime has made them unwelcome in Britain, says country's president

Bottomline Buhari must go back to school to learn how to speak in public

It's a huge shame and a massively disgusting abnormality that any sane Nigerian on Nairaland (or elsewhere) would excuse or tolerate this gross abuse and world-wide ridicule of Nigeria and her citezens, by the so called president.

1 Like

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by kolmart: 7:01pm On Feb 08, 2016
I laugh at times when reading through some comments, some fellow that their fore-father can't write with bottom of bottle are calling somebody illiterate? I think some of them need to undergo psychiatry test

1 Like

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by obailala(m): 7:04pm On Feb 08, 2016
Angelberry:

You mean that statement is okay by you? Would you have seen it same way if GEJ made that statement?
A lot of people would have expected some form of sugar-coating from a presidential figure but unfortunately, Buhari is not blessed with sugar-coating skills. What he has said is sadly the bloody truth which is well known to all who bother to know. It is no news that a lot of Nigerians are involved in crime in different parts of the world with a disturbing number of Nigerians presently lodging in UK prisons. Again the statement by Buhari was in response to a question about the image of the country internationally and after admitting there was a major problem, he also admits we are on course to salvaging the situation.

On the issue of GEJ as you asked, I am bigger than the political sentimental bullshiiit of GEJ vs PMB. GEJ has since lost the election and Nigeria must move forward. To answer your question, YES! I would have seen the statement the same way if it was GEJ or OBJ or YAradua or even Abacha.

2 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by paschu: 7:07pm On Feb 08, 2016
OgbeifunErom:

[s]Nonsense

Who cares about Refugee groups?

Is that part of Buhari's responsibilities?

Drug Smugglers and their family are angry
[/s]
grin grin grin

I only hope you will still be laughing when the chips are down. You think what is currently happening is child's play, right? Just keep swimming on the sand.

1 Like

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by SamJed(m): 7:08pm On Feb 08, 2016
Mynd44:

Thank you
when someone quotes you, he is trying to say what u said 'summarily', that is what the telegraph did..no arguments on that...PMB may have not said the exact word 'criminal' but what he said points to the fact that he called Nigerians criminals...this is what he said "Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but they have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking," he told The Telegraph.
"I don't think Nigerians have anybody to blame. They can remain at home, where their services are required to rebuild the country."
There is what is called 'marketing strategy'....there are words that are not supposed to be used when speaking internationally. With what he said, someone that doesn't know Nigerians as drug or human traffickers will start looking at Nigerians as one...a tomato seller doesnt tell her customers that her goods are spoilt if she wants customers...it is not only nigerians that are traffickers...you don't paint a bad picture of your people because you want to make a good point...his choice of words was bad

1 Like

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by OgbeifunErom: 7:10pm On Feb 08, 2016
paschu:

I only hope you will still be laughing when the chips are down. You think what is currently happening is child's play, right? Just keep swimming on the sand.

May God SAVE Nigeria from IPOB Drug Smugglers

AMEN!!

5 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by OgbeifunErom: 7:11pm On Feb 08, 2016
SamJed:
when someone quotes you, he is trying to say what u said 'summarily', that is what the telegraph did..no arguments on that...PMB may have not said the exact word 'criminal' but what he said points to the fact that he called Nigerians criminals...this is what he said "Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but they have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking," he told The Telegraph.
"I don't think Nigerians have anybody to blame. They can remain at home, where their services are required to rebuild the country."
There is what is called 'marketing strategy'....there are words that are not supposed to be used when speaking internationally. With what he said, someone that doesn't know Nigerians as drug or human traffickers will start looking at Nigerians as one...a tomato seller doesnt tell her customers that her goods are spoilt if she wants customers...it is not only nigerians that are traffickers...you don't paint a bad picture of your people because you want to make a good point...his choice of words was bad

LOng long story

People are often misquoted and some Journalists misinterpret the interviewee

We now have the transcript and Buhari never called Nigerians corrupt

6 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Lolamida(m): 7:14pm On Feb 08, 2016
magicminister:

Looool... you sure say u go school??
If you did, biko did u graduate??

besides, the headlines or news caption would probably read

Nigerians in different prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking- Buhari

anyone with a slight training in public speech would know this is a major gaffe!
you cannot be wooing foreign investors to a country you deride on several occasions!

Mr Graduate,
the President said SOME which means a percentage of the populist. Expect u choose to be ignorant of the adjective
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Nobody: 7:17pm On Feb 08, 2016
obailala:

A lot of people would have expected some form of sugar-coating from a presidential figure but unfortunately, Buhari is not blessed with sugar-coating skills. What he has said is sadly the bloody truth which is well known to all who bother to know. It is no news that a lot of Nigerians are involved in crime in different parts of the world with a disturbing number of Nigerians presently lodging in UK prisons. Again the statement by Buhari was in response to a question about the image of the country internationally and after admitting there was a major problem, he also admits we are on course to salvaging the situation.

On the issue of GEJ as you asked, I am bigger than the political sentimental bullshiiit of GEJ vs PMB. GEJ has since lost the election and Nigeria must move forward. To answer your question, YES! I would have seen the statement the same way if it was GEJ or OBJ or YAradua or even Abacha.
Ok sir
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by wristbangle: 7:17pm On Feb 08, 2016
Iroh88:
"Those people" are angry because he specifically mentioned "drug trafficking". They felt he was referring to them, hence their anger. cheesy

Such an aggrieved fellas. Smh!!!

His claims were true because when if you consider the level of drug trafficking among Nigerians staying overseas and the way citizens of other countries view us, they won't be here condemning his rightful statement.

PMB never said Nigerians are criminals, he was only refereeing those who have tainted the country "bad" through illegal occupation.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Survives Impeachment Notice In Senate / Community Kicks As Retired DIG Occupies DPO’s Lodge For 20 Years / Lamido Sanusi Visits Vice President Yemi Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.