Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,799 members, 7,806,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... (2183 Views)

Fashola, Okowa, Tony Elumelu Commission 115 Megawatts Gas Turbine Delta (Pics) / Fashola’s Ministry Frustrating Us, Says Ambode / Ambode Cancels Fashola's Last Minute Lekki Land Allocations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Freegift75: 10:36pm On Feb 08, 2016
BEFORE YOU CRUXIFY FASHOLA, Read This

With reference to the new electricity tariff hike, I think we Nigerians have to reason well before we condemn the development.

Firstly, we all must appreciate the fact that the monthly fixed charge (a terror in disguise) had been abolished.

With all sincerity, this fixed charge has being a treat to Nigerians unknowingly. Today, we pay for what we use unlike before when a community transformer develops fault for three months and still charge to pay three months fixed charged. This is a total liberation from robbery.

Now let's bring out the analysis:

Ikeja DISCO for instance was charging N14.96 per unit and with an increment of N8, will now be 22.96.

Therefore to recharge prepaid N5000 will get
5000/22.96 = 217.77 units

But before the increment, with N5000 you get =284 1units instead of 334units (50.1)

Now 284.10units - 217.77 units= 66.33 units.
whereas N750/month fixed charge worths 50.1 units

It means you were being cheated with 50units monthly
Now 66.33 - 50.13 = 16.20units

This mean your monthly robbery has been reduced to 16.20units with greater advantages. It calls for celebration...!

In some areas where they don't enjoy constant power supply, 217.77units might last up to 2months. Especially when transformer develops fault, rain storm falls electric pole, the fear for accumulated fixed charges has been removed.

There were areas who never used light for 4months, after the instalment of their transformer in the fifth month, they had to pay N3,750 fixed charge for 5months.

We must appreciate this development. We had been under cheating leadership for long and this present crops are bent to bring relief holistically. Let's all shun criticism that could frustrate their thrive

May God Bless Nigeria
One Day We Shall Arrive

Going forward, electricity consumers in Nigeria would
no longer pay the fixed charge included in monthly
electricity bills issued by the 11 electricity distribution
companies (Discos) in the country but will pay higher
tariffs for electricity consumed, the Nigerian Electricity
Regulatory Commission (NERC) said monday.
NERC said in Abuja that the new electricity tariff regime,
which it approved over the weekend, has effectively
removed the contentious fixed charges for all classes of
electricity consumers in the country.

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nerc-raises-electricity-tariffs-stops-fixed-charges/228616/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Juxtified(m): 10:44pm On Feb 08, 2016
2 reasons why I'm not complaining: 1. Fashola is in charge: he delivers 2. Its no longer fixed charge, which means I get to pay only for what I use

12 Likes

Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by babyfaceafrica: 10:50pm On Feb 08, 2016
As long as there will be light ,I will pay,if not,,,,

2 Likes

Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Freegift75: 11:13pm On Feb 08, 2016
Its just unfortunate for the NLC. It seems the socalled educated Labour Leaders don't reason well before their usual action.

They should not allow themselves to be used.
If someone was robbing you 50units and now reduce to 16, what is the sense in protesting against that.

May God bless Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by wallex1983(m): 11:28pm On Feb 08, 2016
The truth is that most of the countries we compare ourselves with pay tax literally with their blood. Everything is taxed.... Even life gan, if not for God, they will tax you for fresh air.

When these people come from UK, they just chatter chocolate and scarf for us s though we are begger.....

It will get worse, but it will surely get better.

1 Like

Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Nobody: 12:00am On Feb 09, 2016
How about people without prepaid or even post paid meters? In Makurdi, they are in the majority and estimated billing is killing them.
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by braine(m): 12:12am On Feb 09, 2016
wallex1983:
The truth is that most of the countries we compare ourselves with pay tax literally with their blood. Everything is taxed.... Even life gan, if not for God, they will tax you for fresh air.

When these people come from UK, they just chatter chocolate and scarf for us s though we are begger.....

It will get worse, but it will surely get better.

This is exactly what people fail to understand. Nigerians love things coming cheap.

3 Likes

Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Sibrah: 12:15am On Feb 09, 2016
GreatAgb:
How about people without prepaid or even post paid meters? In Makurdi, they are in the majority and estimated billing is killing them.
Nice concept, but
(1). I can't trust Fashola to do a good job awarding contracts out. He seem to have a thing for inflated contracts and won't survive the power sector reform demands like that.
(2) the prepaid metres are being hoarded by PHCN staff to allow the milk users via estimated billing. It is wrong for Fashola to embark on any tarrif increase without addressing this issue.
(3) what is our max transmission capacity? If not we just wishing a star.

2 Likes

Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Freegift75: 1:34am On Feb 09, 2016
GreatAgb:

People without prepaid metres are never cheated. Every area has unit code. Industrial, residential, commercial, developing areas, and rural areas have unit code.

For example, if you don't have a meter but falls to R1 code unite, check your BILL the units on it will not more than 900 because R1 is btw 600 - 900. Multiply by tariff and add vat

The best is to get your prepaid meter, more economical
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by dalyricist: 2:33am On Feb 09, 2016
Bet why.....
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Koleman(m): 3:56am On Feb 09, 2016
One thing i know for sure pple are not complaining about de hike rather the main victims are those who do not ve pre paid metres. The common slogan is "no light yet they want us to pay more". But those of us with pre paid meters are not even bothered cos we re in full control of wat we pay and consume. Its just like de normal credit in ur phone. You can choose to manage it or waste it. If no light for 2 months we no complain. Infact in my part of makurdi town where prepaid meters have been installed in most houses we have been enjoying light for 3days without fluctuating. You know why? If no light na them go loose. So for me, to silence any protest these electricity companies must urgently invest in metering. Thats the solution to all these.

4 Likes

Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Iroh88(m): 4:54am On Feb 09, 2016
Juxtified:
2 reasons why I'm not complaining:
1. Fashola is in charge: he delivers
2. Its no longer fixed charge, which means I get to pay only for what I use
For me, power supply has been very adequate and stable! On the average since december, it's been 18hrs per day.

In the past, we only experienced this level of efficiency during the peak of rainy season, but today, the story is entirely different. Don't know. What they did to change things but whatever it is was surely the right thing to do.
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Iroh88(m): 4:57am On Feb 09, 2016
Koleman:
One thing i know for sure pple are not complaining about de hike rather the main victims are those who do not ve pre paid metres. The common slogan is "no light yet they want us to pay more". But those of us with pre paid meters are not even bothered cos we re in full control of wat we pay and consume. Its just like de normal credit in ur phone. You can choose to manage it or waste it. If no light for 2 months we no complain. Infact in my part of makurdi town where prepaid meters have been installed in most houses we have been enjoying light for 3days without fluctuating. You know why? If no light na them go loose. So for me, to silence any protest these electricity companies must urgently invest in metering. Thats the solution to all these.
Old GRA, Kanshio, Owner Occupier, Welfare Quarters, Lobi Quarters or Judges Quarters? cheesy
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by okangaijele2015: 5:04am On Feb 09, 2016
APC led government is a failure. We bought fuel for 6 months or more at above Govt pump price even during xmas. For over 6 years we never had fuel scarcity during xmas. It happened first under them. As we were battling that, they came up with N50 stamp buty deductin and Current account maintenance tax. VP Osibanjo even said more taxes are coming. As we were battling this, "I never sign cheque" Minister came with 45% increase in power tarriff. What a wicked govenment we will see in the next 3 years and some months!!!!

O God save your Children. Forgive us for this costly mistake we made. Amen
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by 989900: 5:38am On Feb 09, 2016
Great, if true.
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Nobody: 6:45am On Feb 09, 2016
Freegift75:

People without prepaid metres are never cheated. Every area has unit code. Industrial, residential, commercial, developing areas, and rural areas have unit code.

For example, if you don't have a meter but falls to R1 code unite, check your BILL the units on it will not more than 900 because R1 is btw 600 - 900. Multiply by tariff and add vat

The best is to get your prepaid meter, more economical

It doesn't matter what my unit code is. What matters is my consumption. My parent's house falls under R2 but she has never consumed more than 260 kWh in a month. So if she had no meter, she would have been paying for over 600-900 kWh monthly. See?
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by kolnel: 6:51am On Feb 09, 2016
The abolition of the monthly charge nailed it for me
The nlc just want to prove their monthly money deductions
It can only get better
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Freegift75: 6:54am On Feb 09, 2016
okangaijele2015:
APC led government is a failure. We bought fuel for 6 months or more at above Govt pump price even during xmas. For over 6 years we never had fuel scarcity during xmas. It happened first under them. As we were battling that, they came up with N50 stamp buty deductin and Current account maintenance tax. VP Osibanjo even said more taxes are coming. As we were battling this, "I never sign cheque" Minister came with 45% increase in power tarriff. What a wicked govenment we will see in the next 3 years and some months!!!!

It's too early to start your day like this. Your write-up really describes the level of your IQ. How can you write something like this believing yourself to be making sense? You are a disappointment to the Nigerian youth

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by seunmsg(m): 7:25am On Feb 09, 2016
The only problem I see with the new tariff regime is that, most residential areas are still yet to migrate to the prepaid meters. Those using the old post paid meters where billing are mostly estimated will bare the brunt. For those using the prepaid meters, they have no reason to complain at all. This new regime is to their advantage.

What the power ministry and Discos should do now is the massive deployment of the prepaid meters. They should cover as many residential areas as possible before the end of the year. Nigerians should also learn to be patient and considerate. Good things don't come cheap, we must be ready to pay true value for services rendered.
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by otokx(m): 7:33am On Feb 09, 2016
No prepaid meter in Aluu.
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Freegift75: 7:40am On Feb 09, 2016
otokx:
No prepaid meter in Aluu.
Noted.
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by smsshola(m): 7:53am On Feb 09, 2016
This our labour leader and TUC self sometimes they claim to fight for the masses but down deep in their heart they don't really care for us, in 2012 they screamed there must be subsidy for petroleum but unfortunately today the subsidy is been remove. Now let imagine if the subsidy has bn remove since 2012 the millions those oil cabba kept to themselves who know may be it could have be channel to development.

My point is if increasing the tarrif will make better naija toh I support but if the increment will only cause another pain bamaso.
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by blazetitov: 7:57am On Feb 09, 2016
Thank God we have people in the country that are realistic. NLC and TUC are both as corrupt as ONSA. They claim they are fighting for the masses but their leaders go back to receive bribe. The noise will soon die down.
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Oz4realsss: 7:59am On Feb 09, 2016
Freegift75:

It's too early to start your day like this. Your write-up really describes the level of your IQ. How can you write something like this believing yourself to be making sense? You are a disappointment to the Nigerian youth
He gave reasons to reach his conclusions. On your part, you just decided to call him names without any reason. It is very clear whose IQ is very low here. Can you prove any of his observations wrong?
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by giantstrides(m): 8:14am On Feb 09, 2016
It would be unfair of us not to consider those without prepaid meters, they are the ones really suffering the billing issue. I suggest the government should produce meters enmasse first, that will ease the burden on the people.
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by diegwu01: 8:21am On Feb 09, 2016
okangaijele2015:

I am certain you dont have a Car to fuel, you also do not have a Current account and very sure you dont pay Taxes.
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Oz4realsss: 8:46am On Feb 09, 2016
At Op,
You should have just defended the removal of the monthly fixed charge only. There is no advantage in the analysis you provided to defend the new tariff.

According to you, a customer that buys electricity worth of 5000 naira gets 217units and 284 units in the new and old tariffs respectively. With respect to the above, the old tariff is better because it gives more units for the same amount of money. You erred when you had to consider the cost of the fixed charge twice (removing it in cash and in unit). That is very illogical.

My concern on this issue is what necessitated the outrageous over 53% increment. Is it that electricity was poorly priced. If it was, when did the investors notice this? Or is it that the cost of electricity supply has suddenly skyrocketed? Anything short of this means the Government is conniving with electricity suppliers to milk its citizenry.

(See the correct mathematical analysis for the assummed 5000naira
Old tariff: (5000 - 750)÷14.96 = 284.1units or (5000/14.96) - (750/14.96) = 284.1units.

New tariff: 5000÷22.96 =217.8units
Older tariff is better cos 284 units > 217.8units)
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 09, 2016
I'm one of those who pay because of the accrued fixed charges. Now i will only pay once in a year and not bordered about any fixed charge cause i will be paying for what i use. Since September last year i still have 490 units. this is as a result of poor service.

I think this favors those who have prepaid meter. But there are still a lot to received it.
They should work on metering issues.
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by realborn(m): 9:08am On Feb 09, 2016
Oz4realsss:
At Op,
You should have just defended the removal of the monthly fixed charge only. There is no advantage in the analysis you provided to defend the new tariff.

According to you, a customer that buys electricity worth of 5000 naira gets 217units and 284 units in the new and old tariffs respectively. With respect to the above, the old tariff is better because it gives more units for the same amount of money. You erred when you had to consider the cost of the fixed charge twice (removing it in cash and in unit). That is very illogical.

My concern on this issue is what necessitated the outrageous over 53% increment. Is it that electricity was poorly priced. If it was, when did the investors notice this? Or is it that the cost of electricity supply has suddenly skyrocketed? Anything short of this means the Government is conniving with electricity suppliers to milk its citizenry.

I think the theme of the OP's post is in order.

I once travelled for 3 months last year. On my return, I decided to purchase units for my prepaid meter. I was outraged when I was charged fixed charge for 3 months without any use of energy.

I like the new tariff regime. Just like call units, pay as you go. It is imperative everyone gets a prepaid meter and a policy criminalizing the tampering of the meter to bypass payment.

Power supply has also been consistent. I am willing to support any efforts to maintain and sustain this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Koleman(m): 9:24am On Feb 09, 2016
Iroh88:
Old GRA, Kanshio, Owner Occupier, Welfare Quarters, Lobi Quarters or Judges Quarters? cheesy
high level. inikpi
Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by Oz4realsss: 11:19am On Feb 09, 2016
realborn:

I think the theme of the OP's post is in order.

I once travelled for 3 months last year. On my return, I decided to purchase units for my prepaid meter. I was outraged when I was charged fixed charge for 3 months without any use of energy.

I like the new tariff regime. Just like call units, pay as you go. It is imperative everyone gets a prepaid meter and a policy criminalizing the tampering of the meter to bypass payment.

Power supply has also been consistent. I am willing to support any efforts to maintain and sustain this.

I am faulting his poor or erroneous mathematical analysis. Read my second paragraph and juxtapose it with his mathamatical breakdown. It is very glaring that he deducted the fixed charge twice. (In cash and in unit respectively). That is simply skewed Mathematics.

Aside the fixed charge removal, there is nothing special about the new rate. It is even outrageous to realize that the increment is about 53%. What is the justification?

The fixed charge was a medium of stealing by deceit as you rightly pointed out. There is no justification to pay for what was never used.

To say power supply has been consistent is a matter that is subjective. I have been on 2000 naira credit since November last year. You will agree with me that power supply is not consistent in my neighbourhood.

There is no statistical evidence that shows that the new tariff regime will improve power supply immediately. Will generation, transmission and distribution capacities be expanded overnight with this hike? Why do the investors and Government want to charge us extra before the improvement?

Every rational Nigerian will be happy for any improvement in electricity supply and will also be ready to pay for it. The proper thing is for the stakeholders to improve electricity supply before proposing an appropriate billing system. Anything short of this is milking the masses.

1 Like

Re: Before You Cruxify Fashola, Read This... by jamace(m): 11:32am On Feb 09, 2016
Pre paid meters first before any other charge!

No pre paid meter, no payment of any bill. Q.E.D

Fashola has looted govt money and so does not care about the masses: https://www.nairaland.com/2147714/how-fashola-looted-n402bn-lagos

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senator Ben Bruce Has American Citizenship. / EXPOSED: Saraki Dagora, Atiku Plot Coup Against Buhari / FRC Boss, Jim Obazee In Trouble Over Multi Billion Naira Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.