Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,956 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:47 AM

Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried (37180 Views)

I'm Worried, I Finally Graduated With 2:2, Any Advice For Me? / Why South East Is Doomed / Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by CCsurplus007(m): 4:50pm On Feb 09, 2016
FolarinLondon:

Aburo, don't even think about Insulting me cos if u try it, i ll show your ass why i graduated as a best overall graduating student in 1996.

lol so I should shiver because you graduated as the best in 1996? This is a public forum, if you want to be a boss prolly when I am under your payroll. your previous post has shown exactly the kind of person you are, hence your attack towards me . There is more to life than been a tribalist life is too short Oga

4 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by tonychristopher: 4:59pm On Feb 09, 2016
ibedun:

Gooood!!! I hope they STAY there and develop the place. The disturbance you people are giving other Nigerians is enough with your roaming about causing havoc.

Wit all due respect I feel that you have not travelled ..I don't want us to go into dick measurement but there is no state in whole western Nigeria apart from federal govt developed Lagos that is better than anambra ..in all ramifications

Can you just name a state ?

Why are you guys very bitter ? Never quote me again ...I have noticed you

3 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by tonychristopher: 5:02pm On Feb 09, 2016
cooljude:
Honestly, i am not surprise. I am presently serving in Ekiti somewhere at Ekiti East Local government. I teach mathematics and i would say without fear of being contradicted that out of the whole SS3 students, i can only pick three that might sit for their WAEC without expecting expo and most likely they might not make it (imagine 3 out of a class of nothing less than 60) simple -3+4 na wahala. Talk less of complex calculations. English Language is a big problem to them and mostly they hardly study.

So how did you cope there .? What langauge do you communicate wit? Try pidgin..my friend that served in ado also said same thing
At least use pidgin...
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by tonychristopher: 5:04pm On Feb 09, 2016
sapiosexual1:

You totally misinterpreted me, OK let me break it down. Look at the telecoms growth in Nigeria, when it first came to us, we recorded astronomical growth for about 10years, in which we became the fastest growing telecoms hub in the world, that was our upward slope. At that time, it didn't mean we were better off than western countries but we simply had a faster growth and telecoms appreciation. Today the growth has slowed and we are gradually approaching our plateau, not becd buying phones or SIMs but because the proportionate growth is evening out. Our teledensity is still quite low for a country of our population, but we have made significant progress.

When people talk in public I wonder

Who told you that our teledensity is low ...a country that you have 1:3 ratio

And you call that low...what stats are you using to buttress your point

Define teledensity for us ..for a starter

1 Like

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by tonychristopher: 5:07pm On Feb 09, 2016
Oblongata:
The writer is a buffoon... You are talking WAEC and you are talking about jobs, which company employs WAEC holders? We should be worried if it were graduates he was talking about. No sentiments, but the number of professors from ekiti alone surpassess the number of professors from the first 5 states on that list

Here he is ... Hear them out again..ok show us statistics

We have gone pass this stage if propaganda Oga
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by ellguapo: 5:20pm On Feb 09, 2016
CCsurplus007:

They have the population and the power, they benefit more from the entity. Ironically the millions that are out of schools sees the elites as gods. They are happy witth the system so its going to be a long wait before the north catches up. Unless northern elites face reality education would remain the same there. The more educated her populace are, the more they ask questions and demand their right. the mafia dont want that so the status quo remains the same
I'm with you. I was being sarcastic
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by CCsurplus007(m): 5:22pm On Feb 09, 2016
ellguapo:

I'm with you. I was being sarcastic

yea i know was just buttressing your point

1 Like

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 5:31pm On Feb 09, 2016
amtaken:
Better than you who have never made sense.
atleast my intentions are clear
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Wyttcat: 5:33pm On Feb 09, 2016
We are just witnessing how new generation of the original dullards are being made in iboland.

Cheats, why waec you manipulate as you want, and not the number of university graduates you churn out every year?

You ibos can never play fair. Everyone who served in the Se was shocked at how answers were always written on the boards, knowing that you are only destroying yourselves. Keep celebrating fake success.

Just like the last elections, Yoruba voted and turn the results in while other regions held back to fill in figures they want.
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by tonychristopher: 5:40pm On Feb 09, 2016
Wyttcat:
We are just witnessing how new generation of the original dullards are being made in iboland.

Cheats, why waec you manipulate as you want, and not the number of university graduates you churn out every year?

You ibos can never play fair. Everyone who served in the Se was shocked at how answers were always written on the boards, knowing that you are only destroying yourselves. Keep celebrating fake success.

Is that all you got today?....sir I will advise you to keep your high blood pressure kits handy ...it might strike anytime sir

Just a humble suggestions

2 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by tonychristopher: 5:40pm On Feb 09, 2016
Wyttcat:

Is that all you got today?....sir I will advise you to keep your high blood pressure kits handy ...it might strike anytime sir

Just a humble suggestion
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Wyttcat: 5:48pm On Feb 09, 2016
You are going to need that ma'am! Because you know we are not buying it and its killing you. You and your co comedians have bee playing Yoruba in your yeye scripts.
You are the ones overworked here trying hard to be who you are not lying your teeth out.

tonychristopher:

Just a humble suggestions
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by tonychristopher: 5:51pm On Feb 09, 2016
Wyttcat:
You are going to need that ma'am! Because you know we are not buying it and its killing you. You and your co comedians have bee playing Yoruba in your yeye scripts.
You are the ones overworked here trying hard to be who you are not lying your teeth out.

Have a good day sir
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by theMEGAman(m): 5:53pm On Feb 09, 2016
CCsurplus007:

So the SE or SS don't go for leadership and professional certification too? your argument is not valid except you provide a statistics that shows otherwise. In the federal civil service and private firms, the SW and SE have fair representations. As for business, I don't know the type of business you mean. If you are not talking about Mike Adenuga's type of business an average Nigerian knows the south-easterners dominate small scale business in Nigeria. One mistake people make is that they feel those guys don't go to school.. lol, very wrong things are changing and changing fast. The new crop are graduates that have taken up their family business or those that are fed up with the unemployment rate. so instead of waiting for an imaginary shell offer they resort to doing one business or the other to keep body and soul. One thing you should appreciate the easterners for is that in all fronts they have fair representations and are not lacking even if they do not dominate. From the entertainment industry to sports to business and now to education that used to be the pride of the sw. In futa where I graduated from, it is not out of place to see Igbos graduating with first class year in year out and also as the "best" in their class. In 2014, an igbo guy was the overall best graduating student in the school, I know of two that were the best in their departments in engineering in the same year. Last year an Edo guy was the overall best these feats were very uncommon ten years ago. In fact, if not for federal catchment policy fed universities adopt a university like Unilag might have equal numbers of sw and se students in a class. So it is still better to have fair representation in all formal and informal sectors which I think the south easterners are doing quite well. Gone are the days when you would hear statements like " anambra people na only business then sabi" because if you name the sector you think you dominate you would find out that the so-called "business guys "are giving you a good run for your money. In all, I think true federalism or regionalism would be best for Nigeria. Let all regions develop at their own pace
my brother u have said it all, yorubas don't like to travel the only yoruba u will see for southeast is taylor or people that come to build mansion in the village.
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by CSTR2: 5:56pm On Feb 09, 2016
Mediocrity.
Igbos dominated Nigeria's educated populace before the civil war. The pioneer leaders of Nigeria's professional institutes and academia were mostly igbos. So igbos dominating education in Nigeria should not be a big deal.
That was the original order of things.
It is been over 40 years since the civil war and igbos are still comparing themselves with educational liliputians and naturally docile ethnics. angry
smh.

7 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Wyttcat: 6:05pm On Feb 09, 2016
You too ma'am!
tonychristopher:

Have a good day sir
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by vivalavida(m): 6:06pm On Feb 09, 2016
Biafrarep:
Fact! Many Nigerians errorneusly believed that SE is only interested in business simply because they dominate in the SME's & retail sectors nationwide. In reality, both in the private & public sectors eg in places like Lagos, P.H, Abuja etc, there are as many Igbos as there are others, even the indignious ones. In times past, business was seen as a means of livelihood for semi illiterates but today, things have changed, many Igbos after acquiring university degrees, discovered that there no jobs or even when they are employed that what they earn is just a fraction of what those in business earn! Today many Igbos on graduating now take over family businesses or branch-out in a more modern way. Yesterday, I went to buy laptop but during discussions, I learnt that he graduated from FUTO(same as I) in 2008, his outlet is just like office, he drives a honda EOD, is married & living very comfortably. I also ran into my old course-mate, he is almost through with masters but sells stock-fish!!

If that your friend who sells stockfish is in owerri and an ex futite,i know him. Meaning u studied geology
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 6:09pm On Feb 09, 2016
CCsurplus007:

lol so I should shiver because you graduated as the best in 1996? This is a public forum, if you want to be a boss prolly when I am under your payroll. your previous post has shown exactly the kind of person you are, hence your attack towards me . There is more to life than been a tribalist life is too short Oga

I forgive u being my fellow Futerian. Aburo, go to labour market to look for job and sin no more...
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 6:11pm On Feb 09, 2016
Help me tell them o, we even. Had to mentor them by producing the african vice chancellor of university college ibadan and unilagos
CSTR2:
Mediocrity.
Igbos dominated Nigeria's educated populace before the civil war. The pioneer leaders of Nigeria's professional institutes and academia were mostly igbos. So igbos dominating education in Nigeria should not be a big deal.
That was the original order of things.
It is been over 40 years since the civil war and igbos are still comparing themselves with educational liliputians and naturally docile ethnics. angry
smh.
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by CCsurplus007(m): 6:12pm On Feb 09, 2016
FolarinLondon:

I forgive u being my fellow Futerian. Aburo, go to labour market to look for job and sin no more...

Thank you sir
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Wyttcat: 6:15pm On Feb 09, 2016
Right, and some part of the north is just now trying to play ibos game due to the noise ibos have been making about how the north can't write or read to save themselves.

If true exams observers are randomly selected from different regions and made to swear with Bible, Qur'an, Ogun and amadioha it's then you will know Yoruba are truly at the top. Without these suggestions, we will continue to see theses fake results.
xxgig:
The south west states may just be real states at the top for all I care. Cheating is a norm as I have observed in south south and south east states.
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Wyttcat: 6:24pm On Feb 09, 2016
The ibo VC was more like a gate man, since we didn't have the traditional guard back then. Your mate is building houses and you are stealing nails.

Ingrate, You can't replicate that institution in your region. We made you VC to make you be part of it then just like Ambode almost made one of you for LASU due to your incessant cries of marginalization.
DikeOha882:
Help me tell them o, we even. Had to mentor them by producing the african vice chancellor of university college ibadan and unilagos
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by lastpage: 6:26pm On Feb 09, 2016
shaboti:
Pls leave them, lol. They should continue to delude themselves especially the SW. The worst part is that they'll continue shouting special centre till they find themselves at the very bottom of the table.

Im still shocked that osun state was 29th.. 29th!! Meaning a lot of northern states are now ahead of them. I wonder what they'll say now.. That those northern states have upped their special centre game? grin

I beg you stop alerting them or anything because they will still come here and blame it on 'IPOD youths' lolzzz.

Grow a Brain Please!
If you think this gives you a platform to abuse the Yorubas, you are still a learner then.

All you need do is compare Lagos (S.West) to any Eastern states ...... and you have your answer!

You think Ibos that troop to the S.West at the slightest opportunity of an "attachment Seat" on any rickety Luxurious Bus, .....dont know what they are doing?
Why dont they sit-down in their state and develop it so they can boast about it?
grin grin undecided undecided

lollz @IPAD Youths! grin

Lastpage!
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 09, 2016
Imagine laggards here complaining about malpractise cos their leaders are embezzling fund meant for education to build talking drum.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by shaboti: 6:38pm On Feb 09, 2016
lastpage:

Grow a Brain Please!
If you think this gives you a platform to abuse the Yorubas, you are still a learner then.

All you need do is compare Lagos (S.West) to any Eastern states ...... and you have your answer!

You think Ibos that troop to the S.West at the slightest opportunity of an "attachment Seat" on any rickety Luxurious Bus, .....dont know what they are doing?
Why dont they sit-down in their state and develop it so they can boast about it?
grin grin undecided undecided

lollz @IPAD Youths! grin

Lastpage!
as usual, they want to shift the goal post grin
Does this rubbish in any way correlate with the topic or even my post ? cheesy
Im not here to argue like a cofused goat.
Bye cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 09, 2016
I don't derive pleasure replying childish rant
Wyttcat:
The ibo VC was more like a gate man, since we didn't have the traditional guard back then. Your mate is building houses and you are stealing nails.

Ingrate, You can't replicate that institution in your region. We made you VC to make you be part of it then just like Ambode almost made one of you for LASU due to your incessant cries of marginalization.

1 Like

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 7:03pm On Feb 09, 2016
Arresa aka ineffectual buffon where are thou?
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Wyttcat: 7:06pm On Feb 09, 2016
Hehehe!
After you have played in the sand tire, you now don't want to reply, what about you replying on your agbaya level.
DikeOha882:
I don't derive pleasure replying childish rant
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 7:08pm On Feb 09, 2016
Ignored
Wyttcat:
Hehehe!
After you have played in the sand tire, you now don't want to reply, what about you replying on your agbaya level.
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Wyttcat: 7:12pm On Feb 09, 2016
Thanks!
DikeOha882:
Ignored
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by lastpage: 7:23pm On Feb 09, 2016
wristbangle:
Speaking as a yoruba indigene, it beats my imagination to have seen the downward trend of our educational system . To be candid the poor state of schools, delayed payment of teachers (poor management from government) and unmotivated attitude from the students is killing our education.

Let's call a spade, spade. The SS and SE regions have tremendously improved in their educational sector in terms of teaching skills, good government support, willingness of students to study hence the reason why they are booming.

I feel the south west region need to retrace their step back to what made them the best or perhaps learn from SS/SE region because what the OP said may start happening in the nearest future is care is if not taking.

As a Yoruba person, l really dont care about what the S.East thinks when it comes to Education.
The S.East is the S.East.......... and can never be the South West so, there is no basis for this comparison or imagined competition.

Ko'si bi omode sele l'akisa to, kole l'akisa agbalagba.
Let us leave the South East out of it, completely. lest some start having premature eja.cula.tion! grin grin

Having said that, l am more worried about the lack of 'technical skills and craftsmanship" among our Youths in the South West.

Decades back, we have it that it is not everyone that can attain university Education. Some are not just cut for higher education but it does not make them "lesser beings" because those category of people, also excel in whatever technical/handiwork they chose to learn

You could easily find first class Carpenters/Upholsteries, Grade A Welders, top-notch Bricklayers, Auto mechanics who can pieces any vehicle and re-assemble it (our mechanic in those days when l was small, will diagnose a vehicular problem, just by listening to the sound of the running engine!), Plumbers, Electricians, e.t.c.

These Yorubas who chose not to further their education, after the first few years, paid diligent attention to learning A TRADE.
They excelled at their trade, practised it and made good money out of it!
Some went on to marry and build houses while training their own children to University level, from the proceeds of such trade!
Integrity and a "good name" was their watch-word.
They were very Proud of what and who they have become.

Fast forward to the present generation, l am sure l am not the only person that have noticed that our Youths (l am categorical about S.West/ Yorubas) nowadays dont want to Study and neither do they want to learn a trade!
Hardly can you find a well trained Carpenter, Electrician, Plumber in the neighbourhood these days.

Our current set of Yoruba Youths, once they decide higher education is not for them, they want to "get rich quick" and resort to being Okada Driver, Auto-Rischker Driver (Maruwa), Agberoo at every available junction, Bust Stop Touts and Election Thugs!
Some resort to even more dastardly acts like robbery, Yahoo-yahoo, e.t.c

Mind you, l am not saying these vices are peculiar to the Yoruba nation (we all know the scores when it comes to criminality and who holds the ace!) but l am solely concerned about the Yoruba nation ...and the need for us to "look inwards", re-discover our selves, because 'we know who we are". Its that simple.

The issue is so worrisome that in most neighbourhoods, you will find hordes of Youths with nothing-doing for the major part of the day, just loitering around and before you could say "jack", they form themselves into criminal gangs who extort money from traders, from people building their houses, from Transporters, e.t.c! In summary, they form gang of criminals! shocked shocked shocked

This is not the YORUBA WAY of living.
Yorubas are proud, intelligent and dignified people who take pride in who they are.
That Yorubas are the most sophisticated nation in Nigeria may annoy some people but it is a "fact of reality and history", whether it butters anyone's bread or not.
And when we say "sophistication", it is not just about Education or Money ...... it is a "Whole way of Life".

The time has come for every Omo O'dua to sit-back, reflect and do a critical self-assessment of ourselves.

If anything, Yorubas are know to be the most "self-critical and self-reflecting" of themselves.

We have gone through and are still going through a "generation of waste" .... a generation where Parents lost focus and paid less attention to their children, the imbibing of moral values, dignity in their children and the proper training of our children "at all or any cost"!

Yoruba r'onu O! Ranti omo eniti iwo'nse!
As Parents, we need to go back to the ways of our Fathers.
We need to re-ignite that Pride of being Yorubas.
Naturally, we are mostly intellectually gifted, the type that we call "Agbari"! undecided
We are Savvy and unbeatable in most negotiations.

But we need to further capitalise on our natural abilities by ensuring that we train our children PROPERLY.
We need to inculcate in our children, the notion that "Money will come by itself, once the mind is prepared".
The first thing is to prepare the "mind".

Our children must value integrity, hardwork, and above all, A GOOD NAME.

We must encourage our children not to be indolent, to learn a trade (ise'owo) if they cannot further their education and to apply themselves, with all their heart, to such endeavour. There is DIGNITY in LABOUR.

Yorubas must put more effort in the training (moral, academical and value-system) our children, who are the leaders of tomorrow.

Like it is said, "those who fail to adapt, will become extinct".
Yoruba-parents must do everything within their power to ensure that our children adapt to the current changes in science and technology.
We must embrace Mathematics at all levels.

The level of miscreants on our streets is becoming alarming.
We need to show our children how to create jobs by the acquisition of special skills and craftsmanship.
LEARN A TRADE!....LEARN IT PROPERLY!!

Its not about competing with any tribe, its about being who we are...we are one of the best worldwide and we have a natural advantage in being savvy but we have to once again, take advantage of it, by following in the footsteps of our fathers.

STUDY, ACQUIRE USEFUL SKILLS/CRAFTSMANSHIP and BE CONSCIENTIOUS IN ANYTHING YOU LAY YOUR HANDS ON.

O'dua agbe'wa o!

Lastpage!

3 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by lastpage: 7:36pm On Feb 09, 2016
theMEGAman:
my brother u have said it all, yorubas don't like to travel the only yoruba u will see for southeast is taylor or people that come to build mansion in the village.

Yorubas dont travel to other lands to do "menial hustling" liek selling Galla on the streets or faking everything in sight.

Go to any country in the world today... and tell me if you wont find Yorubas there?

But l am also sure you wont find them doing what every Ibo goes to do, in other people's places.
It is because of this "unbridled criminality" on the alter of 'travelling', that makes countries like S/Africa to set on their fellow African-Nigerians. undecided undecided
Go to "Eabrow in South Africa... and see what our "travelling brothers" have turned the place into - A Haven of Drug Pedlers and Couriers.
Same with many Asian countries!

Yorubas dont just travel, for the sake of Travelling and becoming a nuisance to their host community ............. That's the difference.

Lastpage!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

LAUTECH Students Sign Out In Style After Their Final Exams / Billboard Of Imo State University College Of Agric & Veterinary Studies (Photo) / The Polytechnic Ibadan Admission List Out 1st Batch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.