Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,567 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake (84717 Views)

Ekiti Governorship Election: Ooni Of Ife Is Sad Over Political Tension / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake / Ooni Of Ife Visits Alake Of Egbaland (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Super1Star: 5:53pm On Feb 09, 2016
Enahi:

I won't reply you again because you have a foolish brain.

E gba mi o.

Why the unnecessary insult nah?

Instead of you to just answer my questions, you are foaming in the mouth and cursing your lineage.

I am sorry for you.

Is Benin a bini name? What is the name of Benin during the reign of the Ogiso dynasty?

Read up on Aka and Oredo. Now tell me how a Yoruba man named your city Ile-Ibinu ie Bini.

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Super1Star: 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2016
comos:

I now believe that your Oduduwa was actually thrown down from the sky due to his dirtiness.
no wonder your towns are all littered with brown roofs and filthy environment.

I would have taken your hollow words more serious but they are coming from an iPod and Osu caste without history to share with world.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by forgiveness: 6:02pm On Feb 09, 2016
comos:

Anybody can draw map just like the one you just presented, but you can never change history because the traces will always be there. I have point out all the traces Bini empire left behind in youruba-Land, can you point out one of yours in benin-Land ?

1) Yoruba name : After some years residence here he called a meeting of the people and renounced his office, remarking that the country was a land of vexation[b], Ile-Ibinu [/b] (by which name the country was afterward known) in Yoruba.

2) Culture and Religion: Most yoruba cultures and festival ethnics are now practiced by Edo such as Ishango, Ogun, Festac of Idia Mother of Oba Esigie of Benin. Also most foods of the Yoruba are now consumed by the Edo, such as Iyan, Eman, Usi, Ighiawo and Ogun.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire

3) Art: In 1939, heads very similar to those of the Benin Empire were discovered in Ife, the holy city of the Yoruba, which dated to the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. This discovery supported an earlier tradition holding that it was artists from Ife who had taught Benin the techniques of bronze metalworking.[17]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Bronzes
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by OPCNAIRALAND: 6:04pm On Feb 09, 2016
comos:

Idumwun in bini means "Street"
so Idumwum-Ota means Ota-Street
IdumwumunOta was later corroborated to Idumota

Idu in Yoruba means a stop-point...

Idumu means a cross-point...

Idumota
Idumagbo
Idushagbe
Idutafa

Each is a crosspoint....not streets
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Nobody: 6:04pm On Feb 09, 2016
aribisala0:
All this because of your god Davido who does not know you exist. I can see you are scarred for life . Mr Dullard
I see you were traumatized and have not recovered.
Omo mummy

Looool. Not after the cerebral arse whoopings I dish out to you from time to time lol. Hopefully, next time you will think things through before posting them, Mr Smart.

Anyway, why do you always have to go out of ya want to tell me you're smart/intelligent/intellectual whenever we have our duels but you don't do that with other folks? Is there something you're always trying to tell me with that cos you know I'm way in ionosphere where you can't reach and you need to prove yourself to the don? Lool.

Regardless, I will answer the simple question you keep avoiding. Based on ya logic, Mr. Smart - Elepe is superior to Awujale. Bwahahaha. Just stop speaking in public.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Etinosajay(m): 6:10pm On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

It is indisputable that Oba is a titular position and belongs to Yoruba culture, not Benin.

So why is King of Benin a titular Omo n'Oba (the descendant of Oba), can the Benin palace give us clarity on this?

What clarity have you given to prove your own bias (if u decide to call it point)?
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by rigarmortis: 6:10pm On Feb 09, 2016
Super1Star:

I would have taken your hollow words more serious but they are coming from an iPod and Osu caste without history to share with world.

Mr, all the insults are quite unnecessary, present your points and leave others to read, discern and judge.

and what has IPOD got to do with this, when people resort to insults and unnecessary fanning of ethnic embers its usually cos they have nothing more to offer.

upstairs.

please don't prove me right and reply with an insult
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Nobody: 6:14pm On Feb 09, 2016
The whole topic is stale since Bini folks are distinct, and they did have a great kingdom and civilisation. So you don't expect them to accept that certain Yoruba kings are superior to their King, despite the fact that it's obvious truth.

Benin kingdom had the military might similar to what Oyo had and it also had the artworks similar to what made Ife one of the greatest civilisations of the medieval times. How do you expect folks with an history as rich as that accept that they're 3rd on the hierarchy when Bini folks and Yoruba folks are distinct groups and the languages are also distinct, apart from the crown and dynasty that're Yoruba? The Alake just decided to cause trouble for no reason.

Regardless, Oba is a Yoruba word and there was an Obalufon before Bini had an Oba. Obatala existed even before Bini had ogiso or whatever their sky kings are called and that was way before Eweka and the Oba dynasty. Heck, Bini also worship Yoruba gods from Ogun, to Olokun, to Ifa, to Esu etc.. Those are Yoruba influences that they will never be able to shake off regardless of how they re-write history. Even a lot of their artworks are dedicated to these Yoruba gods.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Etinosajay(m): 6:19pm On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:
The full title of Benin King is Omo n'Oba n'Edo.

Translation : The begotten of the Oba that ruled Edo.

Which Oba ruled Edo beside Oranmiyan? The begotten of Oranmiyan was Eweka, who was the first to hold the title Omo n'Oba.

Who gave you this translation?

And who taught you this history of the binis?

Who are you to misrepresent and misconstrue the history of a people?

You wrote that?

2 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Etinosajay(m): 6:25pm On Feb 09, 2016
Ejemehn:

Binis are not yorubas. They have never been and will never be. If Cuba and Brazil are claiming Yoruba, so be it. But Edos are not Yoruba. They have never begged to be part of Yoruba nation and will never be.

Please tell them.

They want to write different history for different people who they know not their definite origin.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by sunnyeinstein(m): 6:29pm On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

It is indisputable that Oba is a titular position and belongs to Yoruba culture, not Benin.

So why is King of Benin a titular Omo n'Oba (the descendant of Oba), can the Benin palace give us clarity on this?

So you have mastery of the benin language abi? See yoruba man acting all linguist!

Omo n'oba wc can be loosened to "Omo noh doh Oba nih Edo samha" means the child that became the king of our dear edo kingdom

2 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Nobody: 6:33pm On Feb 09, 2016
Etinosajay:

Please tell them.

They want to write different history for different people who they know not their definite origin.

Yes, Bini people aren't Yoruba. But ya crown is a Yoruba crown and "Oba" is a Yoruba word.

Obalufon and Obamakin ruled Ife even before Oranmiyan who was the father of Eweka the first Oba of Bini. Obalufon head is older than any Bini head, based on carbon testing and the knowledge of Bini artworks came from Ife and Owo.

And Obatala was the supreme sky king even before Ogiso started claiming the sky.

You also worship Yoruba's orishas and a lot of ya artworks are dedicated to them.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Ejemehn(m): 6:33pm On Feb 09, 2016
bluaero:

My brother God will work tirelessly to bless you for this comment!

Big Amen oooo. God bless you too
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by kaykay123(m): 6:35pm On Feb 09, 2016
Enahi:

I won't reply you again because you have a foolish brain.

Pls take a trip to Benin palace....It will help this discussion..Thanks
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Ejemehn(m): 6:37pm On Feb 09, 2016
FuckTheMod:

Nonsense!

Where did you place the Alaafin of Oyo?

Nonsense? Think that should be for you......you're Yoruba I guess. I'm so disappointed you don't know your history. No wonder you can come here and blab. Well, I won't be responsible for your lack of knowledge. Get a book, read. It'll do you lots of good
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Guliver(m): 6:38pm On Feb 09, 2016
who has seen d source of d river?t usually small,wen u go hinterland u see a vast body of water.DAT how d bini's are 2 d Yoruba
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Debesther: 6:51pm On Feb 09, 2016
I don't know what most of you mean but
1,The head of any of the kings in Edo has never been buried in Ile Ife.let the Ooni clarify this.
2,You guys should not be sure of stories told by self seeking traditional rulers.
3,It only in Yoruba land I see kings lost their values and cultures but the Edo's kingdom culture is still intact.
4,how can kings who says Omo noba throne is a third class couldn't have an empire, while the Edo's had a long lasting one, Oyo empire was brief.Pls check the records to confirm.
Let me mention a few.
Guys let us research about our traditions not just because we belong to a perticular tribe

2 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by chiefobdk(m): 7:02pm On Feb 09, 2016
clefstone:
the word obi actually comes from the word oba. The people onitsha migrated from bini

the thunder wey go fire u for dis talk. dey do press up.

obi = head.

obi = palace

obi = man male masculine. boy. first boy.

obi = heart
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Eyor1(m): 7:02pm On Feb 09, 2016
xince time immemorial weh yoruba ppl lyk xubject ida ppl to thmxelvex.... when did Benin become a begot of yoruba..... ix it the xame Benin I know that conquered Yoruba?
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by crowngold(m): 7:25pm On Feb 09, 2016
1937 PICTURE CAN'T TELL LIES.... Modern day historical fabrication put to lie, by this photograph(Ooni Adesoji Aderemi@centre, To his left next is Colonial British, Governor of Nigeria, next,Oba Akenzua of Benin and Oba Ademola, Alake of Abeokuta, To Ooni's right, Oba Oladigbolu, Alaafin of Oyo town, and Oba Adesanya Gbelegbuwa, Awujale of ijebu ode)...if their predecessors knew their seniors as as far back as 1937 and even before, wherein lies the wisdom of challenging what the Alake said.

3 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by crowngold(m): 7:27pm On Feb 09, 2016
1937 PICTURE CAN'T TELL LIES.... Modern day historical fabrication cannot stand! By this photograph(Ooni Adesoji Aderemi@centre, To his left next is Colonial British, Governor of Nigeria, next,Oba Akenzua of Benin and Oba Ademola, Alake of Abeokuta, To Ooni's right, Oba Oladigbolu, Alaafin of Oyo town, and Oba Adesanya Gbelegbuwa, Awujale of ijebu ode)...if their predecessors knew their seniors as as far back as 1937 and even before, wherein lies the wisdom of challenging what the Alake said.

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by bendeniceguy: 7:29pm On Feb 09, 2016
This goes the same way you bloody cowards tell dirty lies in your desire to twist history and turn it on its head. Now, here is a simple question for you and your likes on here who love to run their dirty little fingers typing and filling up the worldwideweb with LIES drawn from the pit of HELL. You shamelessly claim that Lagos is yorubaland, now my question is, what is the yoruba name or title for Lagos? EKO? which is undoubtedly EDO(quarter or camp) or LAGOS which is Portuguese for lake. If Lagos is yorubaland like you all unashamedly claim everywhere,then tell the world why you have no name or title for that piece of real estate that is indigenous to you loud-mouthed yorubas. Ibadan is yorubaland no doubt same as Abeokuta, Illorin (funny) or Ijebu ode. Those are yoruba names or titles and thats why i challenge you to use this opprtunity to tell the WORLD your yoruba name or title for LAGOS or forever keep quiet when history and not FABLES is discussed anywhere. The Great OBAS of Benin are way and above any title or appellation you choose to hang on any of your yoruba ruler. By the way, ever cared to ask yourself why you have so many ADOS eg Ado Ekiti appended to your yoruba towns and cities? Go ask the Dahomians why they by-passed all of yorubaland to seek permission from the great OBA of Benin to rename the country the republic of BENIN and not the republic of Ijebu ode, Ibadan or Abeokuta. To hell with you and your sickening lies and brazen distortions of historical facts. You had this rebuttal coming.
Tunami:
they should go to hell, we don't even need them in yoruba land, even people that are in faraway Cuba, Venezuela, Brasil etc. Are even happy to be called yorubas talkless them. Abegi. Iranu abasha, shiooor.

3 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by chiefobdk(m): 7:43pm On Feb 09, 2016
Ganoderma:
Who the heck is this Esogban?

I'm shocked that this guy is not in tune with history and yet is a ruler in Benin Kingdom.

Benin is not Yoruba......so what are they?

Brothers of the same father denying their parentage.....sheeshh

Are this the kind of petty, misinformed rulers that we now have to carry our heritage?

I think the Esogban should just abdicate right now.

U mean d father gave birth to every bini person dat exist den. come on men
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by honeric01(m): 7:48pm On Feb 09, 2016
Ravenna:

Your reasoning is very illogical.

Because it doesn't conform to yours or because it exposes the folly in the comment I quoted?
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by chiefobdk(m): 7:49pm On Feb 09, 2016
OmoOsanyin:

''they should go to hell''?

Exactly where is that?
Tell that to Pope Francis who recently said hell and heaven don't exist...and that adam & eve are fables!

he said dat in Ur dreams?
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by chiefobdk(m): 8:00pm On Feb 09, 2016
clefstone:
the word obi actually comes from the word oba. The people onitsha migrated from bini

I dey shame for Ur ignorance. some

The
Obi of Nnewi Obi Okoli in1780s lost his stool when inside
palace politics that hinged on tradition edged him out.
Traditional royal law had it that the Crown Prince must
perform the funeral rights of the late Obi before he can be
crowned, Obi Okoli was absent and arrived home only
after the late Obi Okoli 1st was buried. His Uncle (The late
Obi Okoli the 1st younger brother) performed the funeral
rights in his stead and took over as Igwe Nnewi he could
not be enthroned as an Obi (which means the first son).
The Obi Okoli royal linage was forced into exile, they got
refuge at Umune-Alam in Umudim, Nnewi where they still
are to this day. The Obi Okoli family still bears the Ofor
Nnewi till this day.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Tunami(m): 8:01pm On Feb 09, 2016
bendeniceguy:
This goes the same way you bloody cowards tell dirty lies in your desire to twist history and turn it on its head. Now, here is a simple question for you and your likes on here who love to run their dirty little fingers typing and filling up the worldwideweb with LIES drawn from the pit of HELL. You shamelessly claim that Lagos is yorubaland, now my question is, what is the yoruba name or title for Lagos? EKO? which is undoubtedly EDO(quarter or camp) or LAGOS which is Portuguese for lake. If Lagos is yorubaland like you all unashamedly claim everywhere,then tell the world why you have no name or title for that piece of real estate that is indigenous to you loud-mouthed yorubas. Ibadan is yorubaland no doubt same as Abeokuta, Illorin (funny) or Ijebu ode. Those are yoruba names or titles and thats why i challenge you to use this opprtunity to tell the WORLD your yoruba name or title for LAGOS or forever keep quiet when history and not FABLES is discussed anywhere. The Great OBAS of Benin are way and above any title or appellation you choose to hang on any of your yoruba ruler. By the way, ever cared to ask yourself why you have so many ADOS eg Ado Ekiti appended to your yoruba towns and cities? Go ask the Dahomians why they by-passed all of yorubaland to seek permission from the great OBA of Benin to rename the country the republic of BENIN and not the republic of Ijebu ode, Ibadan or Abeokuta. To hell with you and your sickening lies and brazen distortions of historical facts. You had this rebuttal coming.
are you through or you still have more to say?
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Super1Star: 8:02pm On Feb 09, 2016
Debesther:
1,The head of any of the kings in Edo has never been buried in Ile Ife.let the Ooni clarify this.
2,You guys should not be sure of stories told by self seeking traditional rulers.
3,It only in Yoruba land I see kings lost their values and cultures but the Edo's kingdom culture is still intact.
4,how can kings who says Omo noba throne is a third class couldn't have an empire, while the Edo's had a long lasting one, Oyo empire was brief.Pls check the records to confirm.
Let me mention a few.
Guys let us research about our traditions not just because we belong to a perticular tribe
Your further research will tell you what w e have been telling you.

The heads of your past Oba of Bini are in Ile Ife and before any coronation of Oba of Bini, Ooni's permission is always sought.

That is the tradition and a fact.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by forgiveness: 8:10pm On Feb 09, 2016
Debesther:
Let me mention a few.

Now, let's go to the Oldest Empires in West Africa. Remember, i said Empires not kingdom hence i removed the kingdoms on the list.

The Oyo Empire (1400–1895) was a West African empire of what is today western Nigeria. The empire was established by the Yoruba in the 15th century and grew to become one of the largest West African states encountered by colonial explorers. It rose to preeminence through wealth gained from trade and its possession of a powerful cavalry. The Oyo Empire was the most politically important state in the region from the mid-17th to the late 18th century, holding sway not only over other Yoruba states, but also over the Fon kingdom of Dahomey (located in the state now known as the Republic of Benin).

[b]Benin Empire (1440–1897)[/b]a large pre-colonial African state of modern Nigeria.

The Kingdom of Dahomey (1600–1900) was a West African kingdom in part of modern Benin

Kaabu Empire (1537–1867), a Mandinka Kingdom of Senegambia (centered on modern northeastern Guinea-Bissau but extending into Casamance, Senegal) that rose to prominence in the region thanks to its origins as a former province of the Mali Empire. After the decline of the Mali Empire, Kaabu became an independent kingdom.

Asante Union (1701–1894), a pre-colonial West African state of what is now the Ashanti Region in Ghana. The empire stretched from central Ghana to present day Togo and Côte d'Ivoire, bordered by the Sahelian Dagomba kingdom to the north (a sub-state of the Mossi), and Dahomey to the east. Today, the Ashanti monarchy continues as one of the constitutionally protected, sub-national traditional states within the Republic of Ghana.

Kong Empire (1710–1894) centered in north eastern Côte d'Ivoire that also encompassed much of present-day Burkina Faso.

Bamana Empire (1712–1896) based at Ségou, now in Mali. It was ruled by the Kulubali or Coulibaly dynasty established c. 1640 by Fa Sine also known as Biton-si-u. The empire existed as a centralized state from 1712 to the 1861 invasion of Toucouleur conqueror El Hadj Umar Tall.

Sokoto Caliphate (1804–1903), an Islamic empire in Nigeria, led by the Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’adu Abubakar. Founded during the Fulani Jihad in the early 19th century, it was one of the most powerful empires in sub-Saharan Africa prior to European conquest and colonization. The caliphate remained extant through the colonial period and afterwards, though with reduced power.

Q of Liberia.
Toucouleur Empire (1848–1893), established as a jihadist stete bu Al hajj Umar Tall in present Mali, upon the conquest of the kingdoms of Segu and Masina.
Wassoulou Empire (1878–1898), a short-lived empire of built from the conquests of Dyula ruler Samori Ture and destroyed by the French colonial army.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_kingdoms_in_pre-colonial_Africaaqqa

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Super1Star: 8:10pm On Feb 09, 2016
bendeniceguy:

Republic of Benin was taken from Bight of Benin and not because of your Benin Empire.

How come Bini is not a recognised language there but Yoruba is?

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by bright007(f): 8:11pm On Feb 09, 2016
I have read this thread from page 1 to 16....

laugh wan tear my belle

Land grabbers everywhere in Nigeria.

I swear the Alake that brought this issue up has diarrhea of the mouth. If not, why bring in Oba of Benin into a youruba thing.

I think the kings of the yorubas have inferiority complex hence they are always fighting for who is superior. The Oba of Benin stands alone and tall and do not contend with anyone for supremacy because he know he has no equals even beyond Nigeria.

So many ignorants and illiterate youths here asking silly questions.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Himba, Namibia Offers Sex To Guests / Is This A Beauty Contest? - Northern Girls / Three Generations Of Ooni Of Ife And Their Rolls-royces (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.