Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,769 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad (4118 Views)

Kachikwu: Fuel Scarcity Will End On Wednesday In Abuja, Lagos / CCB Trial: We Are Behind Saraki And Can’t Abandon Him – PDP / Boko Haram Claim Abuja, Lagos Attacks In New Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by moneygurl: 5:08am On Jul 04, 2009
The style of governance in Nigeria, especially at the state level, has taken a new dimension as indications are rife now that most of the state governors run governments from outside the state capitals.

A survey conducted by Saturday Tribune across the country has revealed that about two-thirds of the governors in Nigeria are not always on their seats, travelling out for supposedly urgent reasons.

According to investigations, most of the governors have found abode in either Abuja or Lagos, while some preferred to travel out at will to countries like the United Kingdom, United States, Germany, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and France.

However, the unexplained reasons behind the frequent dissapearance of state governors from their respective states as discovered by Saturday Tribune hangs on the economic meltdown, which survey revealed has been causing the shrinking of resources of most states, such that the governors must be frugal in spending.

Against this background, the governors are said to have deviced the means of sneaking out of the states to avoid pressures from their hangers-on, contractors, friends and associates known for their demands for money on all manners of excuses.

An aide to a South South governor told Saturday Tribune that his boss sat down one day and calculated the amount of money he had spent on public relations in a month and discovered he had committed nothing less than N1.2 billion to such.

He stressed that since he made such a discovery, he had learnt the trick of sneaking out of the state.

National Assembly members, officials of the anti-corruption agencies, top party members from either the states or Abuja, journalists, presidential aides, according to the survey, constitute a huge drain pipe for the governors, most of whom are said to be desperate in cutting down their expenses drastically.

Unlike the National Assembly and state Houses of Assembly members who have the number of days that they must sit in the plenary for legislative businesses specified in their rules, there is no rule compelling state governors to remain glued to their seats, a reason the governors have never nursed the fear of possible consequences of their frequent travel out of their states, a source pointed out.

According to findings, a governor from the core North makes frequent visits to Jos, Plateau State.

Another in a South-West state was said to have been used to traveling to Abuja, Lagos and more often outside Nigeria, from where he has reportedly been running the affair of his state.

Investigations also revealed that a governor is currently out of Nigeria on a medical trip to London enroute Germany while he is being expected back in the state next week.

While one of the northern governors who spent eight years in the National Assembly as a member of the House of Representatives has been described as an Abuja man by his aides who spoke with Saturday Tribune, his counterpart in an oil-rich state is said to have been fully engaged with more federal matters, and, hence could not afford to be too sedentary in his state.

Another governor from the oil-rich state is rated as one of the most restless based on his interest to lure international investors to his state, a reason he is said to have been embarking on frequent international travelings.

Further investigations revealed that one of the northern state governors travels frequently to Niger and Chad where he is said to be building large estates and mansions where he was planning to relocate after leaving the office.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/04072009/news/news1.html
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by Kobojunkie: 5:13am On Jul 04, 2009
Telecommuting Governors !!! grin grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by Egwuofor: 2:06pm On Jul 04, 2009
which south south and south west governor is this.
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by desgiezd(m): 2:30pm On Jul 04, 2009
However, the unexplained reasons behind the frequent dissapearance of state governors from their respective states as discovered by Saturday Tribune hangs on the economic meltdown, which survey revealed has been causing the shrinking of resources of most states, such that the governors must be frugal in spending.

Against this background, the governors are said to have deviced the means of sneaking out of the states to avoid pressures from their hangers-on, contractors, friends and associates known for their demands for money on all manners of excuses.

Most of these governors vied for their positions thinking that free petroleum money would continue to flow endlessly. They have no idea on how to generate extra money internally from their respective states. Even now that inflows are shrinking, they still do not have a clue. This tells us the sort of people our system throws up to occupy positions of power. Imagine a state governor spending as much as over a billion in a month for frivolities and yet many of his citizens are wallowing in abject poverty. What a shame!!
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by moneygurl: 3:26pm On Jul 04, 2009
South west, I am thinking its between Akala (Oyo) and Oyinlola (osun). I would have added Daniels (Ogun) but with the drama happening in Ogun you will expect him to be in the country fighting.
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by MrCrackles(m): 3:28pm On Jul 04, 2009
Na wa ooooooooooooo! sad
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by DisGuy: 3:43pm On Jul 04, 2009
moneygurl:

South west, I am thinking its between Akala (Oyo) and Oyinlola (osun). I would have added Daniels (Ogun) but with the drama happening in Ogun you will expect him to be in the country fighting.

Naa, with all the juju flying about he'll probably be in a cold country where juju looses potency
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by tpiah: 4:06pm On Jul 04, 2009
Against this background, the governors are said to have deviced the means of sneaking out of the states  [size=14pt] to avoid pressures from their hangers-on, contractors, friends and associates known for their demands for money on all manners of excuses.   [/size]

smh.

Big problem. One millionaire in the middle of ten thousand poor people, is a poor person.

That makes them more predisposed to steal money and be corrupt.
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by royalicon(m): 5:51pm On Jul 04, 2009
Abuje is nice and cool to live in. How nice would it be for all states in Nigeria to be like Abuja.
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by walakolobo: 6:15pm On Jul 04, 2009
So whats wrong in going outside the state once ina while? Some people are so daft that they can beleive anything they read in the newspapers.
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by oge4real(f): 6:41pm On Jul 04, 2009
so wat
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by Uche2nna(m): 7:04pm On Jul 04, 2009
Tribune would have gone further to provide the names of these so called guv'nors. That would have made for a more credible story.

All this speculation here and there and sensalization of news item don tire me.
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by FBS: 8:17pm On Jul 04, 2009
Nigeria. na wa oooooooooo
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by ikeyman00(m): 8:25pm On Jul 04, 2009
mennnnnnnnnnnnhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

pullllllllllllllllll it

shot these f ukers mmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

sat down and it was 1.2 billion nawwoooo
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by jazzsoul: 8:27pm On Jul 04, 2009
This is yellow journalism at its best. Why is it that a national newspaper like the Tribune cannot mention the names of these absentee Governors? We have a democracy in Nigeria and there is supposed to be freedom of the press and speech.
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by stmanpule(m): 9:13pm On Jul 04, 2009
THATZ WHY WE ARE REALLY POOR N THIS COUNTRY EMERGING YOU RULING YOUR PEOPLE FROM ANOTHER TERITORY
http://mycomputersworld.bnlogspot.com
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by DoubleN(m): 9:31pm On Jul 04, 2009
Bunch of Scoundrels!!!
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by iniguy(m): 10:30pm On Jul 04, 2009
If they like, let them govern from mount Everest we want results!
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by Kobojunkie: 10:39pm On Jul 04, 2009
iniguy:

If they like, let them govern from mount Everest we want results!

Roflmao!!!!
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by baslone: 10:53pm On Jul 04, 2009
Stale jist!!

It has been like that since Obasanjo's time. Most of the northern
governor's hardly spend 3days in their respective states. I doubt
if Akala is going to be one of them because he spends most of his
own money on parties, inaugurations, weddings, book launchings,
birthdays,burial ceremonies, city people parties and so on.
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by UNLEASHED(m): 11:05pm On Jul 04, 2009
Na wa o!
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by dachamp(m): 11:49pm On Jul 04, 2009
Tribune would have gone further to provide the names of these so called guv'nors. That would have made for a more credible story.

All this speculation here and there and sensalization of news item don tire me.

Hope Nigeria Tribune and other Nigeria Media Houses start exposing the alleged governors like MPs' expenses scandal in UK for a more credible story
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by Uchek(m): 4:10am On Jul 05, 2009
Shoddy write-up. Uninspiring piece of journalism. What prevented the writer from listing the names of governors involved, number of  days they have wasted outside their state, the cost and opportunity cost of such waste to the state.

Nigerian press is nothing but a cacaphony this days.

1 Like

Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by ayodot(m): 4:48am On Jul 05, 2009
u just don't list people's names on dailies b'cos of journalism
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by MUZBO(m): 8:36am On Jul 05, 2009
I agree Tribune shoulda named names but if it does so what happens?
The respective state assembles would always know the whereabouts of their governor and have done nothing about it so what can you do from your PC?- e-mail them back to their states?. . . Didn't think so!
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by 4lag(m): 8:49am On Jul 05, 2009
wonders shall never end
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by TippyTop(m): 8:58am On Jul 05, 2009
Igbinedion ran Edo state from his office in London for years.
Nice !!!!!
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by olugbon01(m): 2:40pm On Jul 05, 2009
that was really a nice thing to do. God help us oooo, yellow journalism
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by NosaHenry(m): 3:33pm On Jul 05, 2009
Useless and worthless reporting. Tribune should report base on data and name those involved instead of leaving room for guess work. This is one of the reason Nigeria has not progressed.
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by achinu(m): 3:44pm On Jul 05, 2009
Interesting read, I've never figured out why a political office holder in 9ja needs as many staff members as they do. They have a special adviser for so many things it makes absolute no sense. Yet you don't see what the heck they are advising on.
I've never held a political office in 9ja or anywhere else, but If you had to compare a governor in 9ja & one in the states where I reside & their retinue of aides it would blow your mind. I still can't grasp why our public officials are so wasteful of our resources, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong in traveling but when it becomes unnecessary then it needs to be curtailed.
I was just in abuja a few weeks ago & it blew my mind to see the homes/ properties that are owned by both serving & past office holders both civilian & military.
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by strangleyo: 3:52pm On Jul 05, 2009
achinu:

Interesting read, I've never figured out why a political office holder in 9ja needs as many staff members as they do. They have a special adviser for so many things it makes absolute no sense. Yet you don't see what the heck they are advising on.
I've never held a political office in 9ja or anywhere else, but If you had to compare a governor in 9ja & one in the states where I reside & their retinue of aides it would blow your mind. I still can't grasp why our public officials are so wasteful of our resources, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong in traveling but when it becomes unnecessary then it needs to be curtailed.
I was just in abuja a few weeks ago & it blew my mind to see the homes/ properties that are owned by both serving & past office holders both civilian & military.

It is actually extremely sad. Politics in Nigeria is simply about looting. It is never about governing. These men know nothing of governing. When the oil dries up it will be a gorgeous sight to behold because they will have to figure out where the money will come from.
Re: Governors Abandon States For Abuja, Lagos, Abroad by Theblessed(f): 5:13pm On Jul 05, 2009
[b]PLEASE THINK BROADLY, WILL YOU??

Why can anyone think a bit broadly to understand why these so called governors, who are nothing but thieves are leaving their respective sites to Abuja and other places they consider safe haven? 

Don't we understand - all the crude kidnapping activities going on in the South and South East could be one of the main reasons.  They've lost control of securities in their respective states. Their lives and that of their families are in danger and, who wants to be in a place so lawless and chaotic like the Niger Delta and the South East Areas at this present time?  No one!  The evil monster they created is now hunting them and many more awaits them. It's already a vicious circle for them. They can run but they can not hide for ever.

ALL AM ASKING THE KIDDNAPPERS IS PLEASE, TARGET THESE SO CALLED GOVERNORS AND THEIR FAMILIES AND LEAVE POOR INNOCENT NIGERIAN TRYING TO MAKE ENDS MEET ALONE.  THEY HAVE NOT DONE ANY WRONG TO DESERVE THESE KINDS OF ATROCITIES.  THE PEOPLE WHO ARE DESTROYING OUR COUNTRY SHOULD PAY FOR IT AND NOT INNOCENT NIGERIANS AND EXPARTRIATE WHO ARE TRYING TO HELP US GET OUR COUNTRY'S ECONOMIC WHEEL ROLLING BACK AGAIN.  IF YOU CAN GET RID OF THESE GOVERNORS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE STATES, YOU COULD DO SO IN ABUJA TOO.  I AM SURE THAT, JUST AND FAIR MINDED NIGERIANS WOULD NOT HESITATE TO SUPPORT YOU IN YOUR QUEST TO BETTER NIGERIA THAT WAY, THESE THIEVES WILL EXPERIENCE THE PAIN AND HARDSHIP THEY ARE INFLICTING ON THEIR OWN PEOPLE THUS, CHANGE THEIR WAYS.

IF YOU LOVE YOUR COUNTRY AND WANTS TO RESTORE HER HONOUR AND DIGNITY AS I BELEIVE YOU DO PLEASE, DEVIATE FROM PUNISHING INNOCENT AND POOR NIGERIANS AND HUNT THESE THIEVES IN ANY HOLE THEY AND THEIR FAMILIES CONSIDERS SAFE HAVEN, UNTIL THEIR LAST BREATH.   IN MY VIEW,  THAT'S WHAT YOU SHOULD DO - TO GIVE NIGERIANS BACK THEIR COUNTRY.  ENOUGH IS ENOUGH OF THESE EVIL PEOPLE!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR QUEST!!!! [/b]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Islam & Non-oil Exports: If True, Then There Is No Way Nigeria Will Stay One. / Boko Haram To Get War Aircraft Soon / Nigeria Old National AnthemVsNigeria present National Anthem Which Do You Prefer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.