Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America (15225 Views)

Eze Chukwuemeka Eri With African Americans Of Igbo Ancestry / Nigerian Woman Kneels Down For Ooni Of Ife In America During Interaction (Photo) / Ooni Ogunwusi Gets The Key Of Sumerset, Franklin Township In America. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Fulaman198(m): 11:14pm On Feb 10, 2016
KidStranglehold:

You need to know the difference between GDP and GDP per capita. GDP is just the wealth of the nations economy. GDP per capita actually touches base on the individuals of a specific country. India in terms of GDP per capita is actually POORER than Nigeria!

As for your second paragraph that is an argument for another time.

PS: India does not have the third largest economy. Its actually Japan.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-04-30/news/49523310_1_capita-income-third-largest-economy-world-gdp
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Fulaman198(m): 11:15pm On Feb 10, 2016
According to the above article, India has the 3rd largest PPP which means "PPP is an attempt at a relative measure, taking factors of each country into consideration in order to put a number on a person’s standard of living within that country." (taken from https://applebutterdreams./the-difference-between-gdp-nominal-and-gdp-ppp/) so it means that the average Indian is living pretty well from a GDP PPP perspective
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 11:18pm On Feb 10, 2016
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Fulaman198(m): 11:19pm On Feb 10, 2016
KidStranglehold:

According to this site. Japan is third in GDP, but India is third in PPP.
http://knoema.com/nwnfkne/world-gdp-ranking-2015-data-and-charts

And if you know what PPP is: "PPP is an attempt at a relative measure, taking factors of each country into consideration in order to put a number on a person’s standard of living within that country."

This means that Indians are doing quite well.

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 11:21pm On Feb 10, 2016
Fulaman198:
According to the above article, India has the 3rd largest PPP which means "PPP is an attempt at a relative measure, taking factors of each country into consideration in order to put a number on a person’s standard of living within that country." (taken from https://applebutterdreams./the-difference-between-gdp-nominal-and-gdp-ppp/) so it means that the average Indian is living pretty well from a GDP PPP perspective

PPP(Purchasing Power Parity) is not GDP per capita which measure the individuals income of a nation. India in GDP per capita is still far behind.

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Fulaman198(m): 11:26pm On Feb 10, 2016
KidStranglehold:

PPP(Purchasing Power Parity) is not GDP per capita which measure the individuals income of a nation. India in GDP per capita is still far behind.

Yet the definition of PPP is: "PPP is an attempt at a relative measure, taking factors of each country into consideration in order to put a number on a person’s standard of living within that country."

There is no question that India technologically speaking is behind Japan (so is the United States). Only South Korea can compete with Japan from a technological perspective (because they were once colonised by Japan).

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 11:29pm On Feb 10, 2016
Fulaman198:

And if you know what PPP is: "PPP is an attempt at a relative measure, taking factors of each country into consideration in order to put a number on a person’s standard of living within that country."

This means that Indians are doing quite well.

An economic theory that estimates the amount of adjustment needed on the exchange rate between countries in order for the exchange to be equivalent to each currency's purchasing power.

Read more: Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) Definition | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/ppp.asp#ixzz3zo3vWxcL

What does that have to do with the individual income?

Here is GDP per capita which matters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

India is ranked behind Nigeria. This is what GDP per capita is...
GDP per capita is a measure of average income per person in a country. GDP stands for Gross domestic product. This measure National income / National Output and National expenditure. GDP per capita divides the GDP by the population.
http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/343/economics/gdp-per-capita-statistics/

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by bigfrancis21: 11:30pm On Feb 10, 2016
KidStranglehold:

The reason I am focusing on Nigerians in America, because this is what this topic is about. Nigerian immigrants in America vs African Americans in America. I don't know about Nigerian education culture in Nigeria itself, but again I do know that Nigerians in America for the most part in my experience come from well off families from their country and do not represent the average Nigeria. Again this one Nigerian also told me this. I am aware that Nigerians are in many other countries and I am already aware that they are the top pupils in the UK.

As for the bolded, that is EXACTLY what I am talking about when I say "skrewed numbers". My point is we shouldn't use small successful populations as representation of an entire population whether they are African-American or Nigerian.

For example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfbb4pvK3VA

I can easily be like, "SEE! SEE! If these African-Americans can make it big in South Africa then why can't these lazy Black South Africans!" Saying this while also ignoring those AA businessmen in South Africa never lived under the brutal apartheid like black South Africans that actually made whites have a headstart compared to those black South Africans. Again this is what this thread is about.

Yea, you're focusing on the small picture and choosing to compare the small Nigerian population in the US to the entire African American population of US, which is not a fair comparison. I have been trying to present the bigger picture to you here. If you are going to compare Nigerians with AAs, you should look at the bigger picture to be honest.

Second, yes some rich or well-off Nigerians often send their families to live in the United states. These are usually politicians in Nigeria or big wigs in the country or business men who send their kids or families abroad to live and or to study. These people come into the US rich and to mostly live or enjoy life. Many times, families of these people need not work extra hard as they are often supported by their rich relatives back home. This group is only a small percentage of the overall Nigerians in Nigeria. I am not referring to those people. I am referring to those who get to the US with nothing and become something by sheer handwork.

Third, I would not hinge too much onto what one Nigerian told you. He may as well have been the son of a politician or big wig in the country and spoke from his own experience. I am referring to the many Nigerians coming here come as students, either for undergraduate or masters, and proceed from there or others who came in during the green card lottery process of many years ago or those who got in here on visitor's visa and were able to find their feet afterwards.

Fourth, you just gave an example of one successful AA in SA. On the other hand, there are hundreds of successful Nigerians in the same SA who are doing very well. Why am I saying this? To explain to you that the mentioned success of Nigerians is not just limited to the US but consistently observed amongst the Nigerian diaspora in other countries too. Thus, the drive or ambition is the unifying factor amongst these disasporan groups in several countries.

2 Likes

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 11:40pm On Feb 10, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Yea, you're focusing on the small picture and choosing to compare the small Nigerian population in the US to the entire African American population of US, which is not a fair comparison.

I'm doing this because Nigerians on this site do it ALL THE TIME to boost about how much better they are doing in the states than AAs. Yes it is unfair which is why you should check some posters on here to stop doing it. Again this is the reason I made this thread to get rid of this shrewd thinking.

bigfrancis21:

I have been trying to present the bigger picture to you here. If you are going to compare Nigerians with AAs, you should look at the bigger picture to be honest.

Yes I agree. That means stop comparing successful Nigerian immigrants who are small in population size to the AAs who are obviously in poverty while ignoring the AAs with a stable lifestyle like those in the south.

bigfrancis21:

Second, yes some rich or well-off Nigerians often send their families to live in the United states. These are usually politicians in Nigeria or big wigs in the country or business men who send their kids or families abroad to live and or to study. These people come into the US rich and to mostly live or enjoy life. Many times, families of these people need not work extra hard as they are often supported by their rich relatives back home. This group is only a small percentage of the overall Nigerians in Nigeria. I am not referring to those people. I am referring to those who get to the US with nothing and become something by sheer handwork.

Third, I would not hinge too much onto what one Nigerian told you. He may as well have been the son of a politician or big wig in the country and spoke from his own experience. I am referring to the many Nigerians coming here come as students, either for undergraduate or masters, and proceed from there or others who came in during the green card lottery process of many years ago or those who got in here on visitor's visa and were able to find their feet afterwards.

He was actually a doctor and I think from Lagos. I agree that no one should go by what one individual said. But I'm just saying that a lot of Nigerians I seen at my college seem to come from well off families. Again just my experience. Same with some Indians I know. Which is why I think some people over-exaggerate this rags to riches concept for immigrants. But I will be admit that I seen some working hard Nigerians outside of college that do not come from well of families.

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by tonychristopher: 7:23am On Feb 11, 2016
TO BUTTRESS MY EARLIER POSTULATIONS....READ ON

The general stereotypes are that African-Americans are lazy and complacent. They have nobody but themselves to blame for massive educational and socio-economical gaps that have placed African-American children at a severe disadvantage.

African immigrants, on the other hand, are destined for success, so the stereotype goes. They appreciate hard work and family values all while their families are back home swinging through dense forests in nothing but loincloths and sleeping in small huts.

The tensions derive from years of misunderstandings, stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media, and a lack of an open and honest discussion on the relationships between African-Americans and Africans.

Nigerian-born immigrant and blogger Luvvie Ajayi took to Twitter to discuss the tension between African-Americans and African immigrants back in January, when she tried to explain the word “akata.”

The word is used by many Nigerians to refer to Black Americans. However, the word actually translates to “wild animal.”
“The word epitomizes the terrible stereotypes that Africans have about African-Americans. But many young Africans don’t know what it MEANS,” Luvvie explained. “They use it because they’ve heard it being used so casually that many don’t know that it’s derogatory. Passed down prejudice.”
Luvvie explained that many Africans who come to the U.S. are not educated on the history of slavery and how in America there’s still “400 years of damage folks still gotta fix.”

“But I want Black folks in the U.S. not to hate us for the ignorance we carry,” Luvvie tweeted. “It’s from our lack of knowing. Teach us.”
Gerald A. Montgomery of AtlanticRock.com says there is ignorance on the other side as well.
According to Montgomery, some African-Americans view African immigrants as “pompous peacocks,” who are “enjoying the freedoms of earlier generations of so-called Negroes” who were “fire-hosed, jailed, even lynched” for the opportunities that Africans in America now benefit from. Those views are just as ignorant, he maintains.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/04/05/ivy-league-success-story-refueled-tensions-africans-african-americans/

KidStranglehold:

Then post studies debunking the ones I posted. When many recent studies states Asians and Indians who come to the USA already come from well-off families.

We can ignore this all we want.

The truth about Asian Americans' success (it's not what you think)
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/03/opinions/lee-immigration-ethnic-capital/

Asian Americans and the 'model minority' myth
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0123-wu-chua-model-minority-chinese-20140123-story.html

The Growing Poverty Crisis That Everyone Is Ignoring
http://thinkprogress.org/immigration/2015/09/26/3705261/asian-american-poverty/

And like I said Mexicans are no better of than AAs. Do you even live in the states?

One thing is posting studies and another thing is telling you what I'ls on ground ..I am an igbo man and I am African ..I am telling you what is applicable here not studies

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by tonychristopher: 7:25am On Feb 11, 2016
KidStranglehold:

I'm doing this because Nigerians on this site do it ALL THE TIME to boost about how much better they are doing in the states than AAs. Yes it is unfair which is why you should check some posters on here to stop doing it. Again this is the reason I made this thread to get rid of this shrewd thinking.

Yes I agree. That means stop comparing successful Nigerian immigrants who are small in population size to the AAs who are obviously in poverty while ignoring the AAs with a stable lifestyle like those in the south.

He was actually a doctor and I think from Lagos. I agree that no one should go by what one individual said. But I'm just saying that a lot of Nigerians I seen at my college seem to come from well off families. Again just my experience. Same with some Indians I know. Which is why I think some people over-exaggerate this rags to riches concept for immigrants. But I will be admit that I seen some working hard Nigerians outside of college that do not come from well of families.

Now you are specific ..you said college that I seems to agree but others are basically I economic migrants and they are there to better their lives

But African American ain't taking the American dream
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by pashaun(f): 9:28am On Feb 11, 2016
Funny because Nigerians and many other Americans with their masters and PhDs here are having a hard time finding jobs.

Black Americans more than likely will pick up a trade.

College/Universities = Major debt in student loans

Not everyone is going to be a doctor or lawyer. If your car broke down would you want a doctor to fix it? Would you want a lawyer to renovate your home?

3 Likes

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by tonychristopher: 2:02pm On Feb 11, 2016
Are African immigrants better than the Africans left behind?

Chanda attacks the first argument, saying that the average African immigrant is very average:

I actually know that the average African immigrants to the UK from any nation or tribe are not from the African elite class, economically or intellectually (even if there is a small segment from the super-professional class)

He also points to the example of African American families. The children of middle-class and even upper-class African Americans do worse on IQ tests than the children of lower-class Euro-American families. So even if you select from the black elite, the next generation will still underperform whites.

One could counter that the African American middle class largely works for the government. In Africa, the middle class is more likely to be self-made men and women. Also, a selection effect may exist despite the averageness of most African immigrants to the UK. Even if most are average, it may be that fewer are below-average. Below a certain level of ability, many Africans may not bother to emigrate.

Fuerst (2014) has studied this question and found that black immigrants to the U.S. have a mean IQ that is one third of a standard deviation above the mean IQ of their home countries. So there is a selection effect. But it seems too weak to explain the difference in IQ—more than one standard deviation and possibly two—between African immigrants to the UK and Africans back home, unless one assumes that migration to the UK is a lot more selective than migration to the US.

What does the GCSE actually measure?

We now come to the second explanation. It is assumed in this debate that the GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) is a good proxy for IQ, which in turn is a proxy for the heritable component of intelligence. Is this true? Or does the GCSE largely measure something that is culturally acquired rather than heritable? Perhaps something as simple as showing up for class, doing one's assignments, or having a private tutor. This point is raised by one commenter:

[...] black Africans in London, even if poor and living in social housing, hire private tutors for their children. White British do not, especially the working class. This much better explains the GCSE results, a very tuition friendly test [...]

Furthermore, many African immigrants may be targeting those exams they can do best on and avoiding those they are less sure about:

[...] one needs to know how many children from each racial group take the exams. For example, the pass rate for Higher Mathematics is very high, not because the exams are easy, but because they are hard, and frighten off most applicants.

Interestingly, Chanda replies to this GCSE skepticism by pointing out that the same "Nigerians" (Igbos) who do well on the GCSE also do well in Nigeria:

For example, the subgroups within the Nigerian group that are the best in Nigeria or even in the US etc are also the best on the GCSEs. Also, the Traveller white (or whatever precise race) groups are placed by the GCSEs exactly where you would expect to find them.

The Igbo factor

This brings us to the third explanation. It's the one I favor, although the other two probably play a role. African excellence in the UK seems largely driven by a single high-performing people: the Igbo of southeastern Nigeria. Let's begin with the example of Harold Ekeh, whom Chanda describes in glowing terms:

Harold Ekeh showing off his acceptance letters to all 8 Ivy League Schools. He was born in Nigeria and migrated with his parents at age 8.

Ekeh is an Igbo name, and the Igbo (formerly known as Ibo) have a long history of academic success within Nigeria (Frost, 2015). Chanda himself referred to this success in his first article:

The superior Igbo achievement on GCSEs is not new and has been noted in studies that came before the recent media discovery of African performance. A 2007 report on "case study" model schools in Lambeth also included a rare disclosure of specified Igbo performance (recorded as Ibo in the table below) and it confirms that Igbos have been performing exceptionally well for a long time (5 + A*-C GCSEs); in fact, it is difficult to find a time when they ever performed below British whites. (Chisala, 2015a)

This superior achievement was widely known in Nigeria by the time of independence:

All over Nigeria, Ibos filled urban jobs at every level far out of proportion to their numbers, as laborers and domestic servants, as bureaucrats, corporate managers, and technicians. Two-thirds of the senior jobs in the Nigerian Railway Corporation were held by Ibos. Three-quarters of Nigeria's diplomats came from the Eastern Region. So did almost half of the 4,500 students graduating from Nigerian universities in 1966. The Ibos became known as the "Jews of Africa," despised—and envied—for their achievements and acquisitiveness. (Baker, 1980)

The term "Jews of Africa" recurs often in the literature. Henry Kissinger used it back in the 1960s:

The Ibos are the wandering Jews of West Africa — gifted, aggressive, Westernized; at best envied and resented, but mostly despised by the mass of their neighbors in the Federation. (Kissinger, 1969)

To what degree is African success Igbo success? If we go back to Chanda's first article, we see that high African achievers are overwhelmingly "Nigerians" (Chisala, 2015a). This is evident in a chart that lists mean % difference from the mean English GCSE score in 2010-2011 by ethnicity:

Nigerian: +21.8
Ghanaian: +5.5
Sierra Leone: +1.4
Somali: -23.7
Congolese: -35.3

Clearly, high academic achievement is due to something that is very much present in Nigeria, a little bit in Ghana, and not at all in Somalia and Congo. Could this something be the Igbo? The Igbo make up 18% of Nigeria's population and form a large diaspora elsewhere in West Africa and farther afield. In fact, they seem to be disproportionately represented in overseas Nigerian communities, making up most of the Nigerian community in Japan and a large portion of China's Nigerian community (Wikipedia, 2015). Statistics are unfortunately lacking for the UK.

Conclusion

What happens when we remove Igbo students from the GCSE results? How well do the other Africans do? To some degree, Chanda answered that question in his first article. African excellence seems to be overwhelmingly Igbo excellence.

So why doesn't he speak of Igbo excellence? Probably because he assumes that all sub-Saharan Africans are fundamentally the same. Or maybe he assumes that all humans are fundamentally the same. Both assumptions are wrong, and neither can be construed as an "HBD position."

We are all genetically different, even within our own families. So why the surprise that different African peoples are ... different? The Igbo have for a long time specialized in a trading lifestyle that favors a certain mental toolkit: future time orientation; numeracy, and abstract reasoning. This is gene-culture coevolution. When circumstances push people to excel in a certain way, there will be selection for people who can naturally excel in that way, without the prodding of circumstances. And it doesn't take eons of time for such evolution to work.

Will we hear more about the Igbo in this debate? Probably not. There is a strong desire, especially in the United Kingdom, to show that blacks are converging toward white norms of behavior, including academic performance. There is indeed some convergence, but almost all of it can be traced to the growing numbers of high-performing "Nigerians" (Igbos) and the growing numbers of biracial children (the census now has a mixed-race category, but most biracial people still self-identify as "black"wink. In the UK, 55% of Black Caribbean men and 40% of Black Caribbean women have a partner from another ethnic background. It's very likely that half of all "black" children in the UK are at least half-white by ancestry (Platt, 2009, p. 7).

Nor is it likely that we'll hear more about the Igbo from Chanda. As he sees it, the debate should be over. The academic excellence of Igbo students proves that the black/white IQ gap in the U.S. cannot have a genetic basis:

[It is not] a function of global racial evolution (Sub-Saharan African genes versus European genes), as most hereditarians believe, especially those who identify with the Human Biodiversity or HBD intellectual movement (generally known as "scientific racism" in academic circles, but we are avoiding such unkind terms).

Thank you, Chanda, for avoiding unkind terms. Well, I know a bit about HBD. The term was coined by Steve Sailer in the late 1990s for an email discussion group that included myself and various academics who may or may not want their names disclosed. It's hard to generalize but we were all influenced by findings that genetic evolution didn’t slow down as cultural evolution speeded up in our species. In fact, the two seemed to feed into each other. This is why genetic evolution accelerated over 100-fold about 10,000 years ago when humans began to abandon hunting and gathering for farming, which in turn led to ever more diverse societies. Our ancestors thus adapted much more to their cultural environments than to their natural environments. These findings were already circulating within our discussion group before being written up in a paper by Hawks et al. (2007) and later in a book by Greg Cochran and Henry Harpending (2009).

Yes, previously it was thought that genetic evolution slowed to a crawl with the advent of culture. Therefore, groups like the Igbo couldn't possibly differ genetically from other sub-Saharan Africans, at least not for anything culture-related. But that kind of thinking wasn't HBD or even racialist. It was simply the old anthropological narrative, and it's still accepted by many anthropologists, most of whom aren't "scientific racists."

Oh sorry, I forgot we promised to avoid that term.

http://evoandproud..com.ng/2015/10/no-blacks-arent-all-alike-who-said-they.html

KidStranglehold:

Then post studies debunking the ones I posted. When many recent studies states Asians and Indians who come to the USA already come from well-off families.

We can ignore this all we want.

The truth about Asian Americans' success (it's not what you think)
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/03/opinions/lee-immigration-ethnic-capital/

Asian Americans and the 'model minority' myth
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0123-wu-chua-model-minority-chinese-20140123-story.html

The Growing Poverty Crisis That Everyone Is Ignoring
http://thinkprogress.org/immigration/2015/09/26/3705261/asian-american-poverty/

And like I said Mexicans are no better of than AAs. Do you even live in the states?
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 11, 2016
tonychristopher

Are you going to keep ignoring that the Nigerian population is extremely small in America compared to the AA one? Stop acting delusional and stop ignoring my posts to you especially the long one on page one. In which I point out the the broken AA communities along with the successful ones. And also "average" in what? By American/UK "average" standards or Nigerian?

Anyways Africa-Americans ain't taking advantage of the American dream according YOU, because you are so delusional that you keep comparing AAs(again who are a larger population) who are in poverty to Nigerian immigrants.

There is no argument.
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 3:54pm On Feb 11, 2016
pashaun:
Funny because Nigerians and many other Americans with their masters and PhDs here are having a hard time finding jobs.

Black Americans more than likely will pick up a trade.

College/Universities = Major debt in student loans

Not everyone is going to be a doctor or lawyer. If your car broke down would you want a doctor to fix it? Would you want a lawyer to renovate your home?

Not only that but I am hearing that stem jobs aren't saving people, especially those who are black.

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by tonychristopher: 4:34pm On Feb 11, 2016
KidStranglehold:
tonychristopher

Are you going to keep ignoring that the Nigerian population is extremely small in America compared to the AA one? Stop acting delusional and stop ignoring my posts to you especially the long one on page one. In which I point out the the broken AA communities along with the successful ones. And also "average" in what? By American/UK "average" standards or Nigerian?

Anyways Africa-Americans ain't taking advantage of the American dream according YOU, because you are so delusional that you keep comparing AAs(again who are a larger population) who are in poverty to Nigerian immigrants.

There is no argument.

Bro ..I am sorry if I ignored your post ..I thought I attended to it...I was a bit busy here at the office ...the long post you made some salient points which I find commendable but atbtye same time you have refused to let us know why the African American tikt towards music sports and raps rather than economics sciences et al

I hope you aint mad at me just trying to get the concept ... Even jamicans are same ..always music ganja et al

Also I think that Africans especially Nigerians are basically into STEM courses yes...from ivy league stats
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 11, 2016
tonychristopher:

Bro ..I am sorry if I ignored your post ..I thought I attended to it...I was a bit busy here at the office ...the long post you made some salient points which I find commendable but atbtye same time you have refused to let us know why the African American tikt towards music sports and raps rather than economics sciences et al

I hope you aint mad at me just trying to get the concept ... Even jamicans are same ..always music ganja et al

Also I think that Africans especially Nigerians are basically into STEM courses yes...from ivy league stats
The long post was just trying to point out to you that YES I AGREE that there are more "AA thugs" in America in than Nigerian, but there are also successful and stable AA communities. I even posted links detailing that many blacks in the city of Atlanta have college degrees. I assumed you ignored it, because in this thread you keep repeating that AA culture only revolves around "thug culture" which is false.

If I came off as rude or bashing Nigerians if I apologize. Its just that I am getting annoyed of the narrative thrown around here that AAs culture is only thug culture or AAs don't care about education.

To answer your question. Yes music has always been a big part of AA culture, I will admit that from Blues, gospels, early Rock, R&B, Soul and Hip Hop. But still not all AAs are trying to be rappers. Its only the ones in poverty who have no education options(they cant afford it) and so they turn to rapping or sports. As notice many AA rappers/athletes come from poor backgrounds. But the middle class AAs are not trying to be rappers and athletes since they are going to college. I never knew an AA in the middle class trying to be a rapper.

Once again I will admit when it comes to college Stem degrees are not degrees AAs usually go after, but I do in fact see many especially when I went to Atlanta go after business degrees. And I'm seeing more of it. Like I said my younger generation of AAs are going to college more often and are going to prison less often.

What you and others have to grasp is that we in America have poverty just Africans have poverty. I'll admit that the poverty in America may not be as severe as the poverty in Africa, but it is still poverty nonetheless. With poverty comes crime to make a living. It seems like AAs are all criminals or thugs because the image America sends to the world(America has a large media), just like we in America assume Africa is all poor because what the media sends to us! But I know this is not true for Africa and there are actually countries like Nigeria and Angola that are growing!

Like I said, yes indeed there are a good amount of AA "thugs", but we cant ignore the good amount of successful AA communities. This video supports my point in Atlanta which is considered an "AA mecca" having a lot of AA businessmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQKAW_PaZmA

^^^Is that not chasing the American dream?

As for AA culture again it is large and not "thug culture". If you want a good read on AA culture, you should checkout this thread I made on another site.
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/refuting-the-myth-that-black-american-music-culture-is-europeanized.280978/

AA culture is actually more "southern" than it is "urban Hip Hop."

And once again this thread is NOT to bash Nigerians or try to discredit Nigerian accomplishments, BUT TO GRASPS the concepet on why Africans/Nigerians may seem to be doing better than AAs in America.

Once again I APOLOGIZE if I cam off as rude/bashing Nigerians. I didn't mean for that.

2 Likes

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by tonychristopher: 5:17pm On Feb 11, 2016
NOno noooooooooooooooooooooo you are not rude, I like yoir postulations...very intellectual at some point we have to disagree to agree...yes I will not make a blanket statement that AA are more of Thug culture but we have to look at the Stats, we still have nice educated AA but we are looking at the ratios here possibly in the neigbourhood of 3: 13 possibly...maybe it has to with with a lot of factors

complacency
free R and B culture
the Big Philly culture of partying and having barbeque day in day out( Dont mistake it..its a good idea to be laid back) but it should not be everytime
The AA in ATL are really doing great even the ones in Detriot...I was thinking that Detriot will be in sorry state when the declared bankrupt but the rose like sphinix

I will not make a blanket statement...bro your on point...we tend to have a convergence of ideas somewhere

KidStranglehold:

The long post was just trying to point out to you that YES I AGREE that there are more "AA thugs" in America in than Nigerian, but there are also successful and stable AA communities. I even posted links detailing that many blacks in the city of Atlanta have college degrees. I assumed you ignored it, because in this thread you keep repeating that AA culture only revolves around "thug culture" which is false.

If I came off as rude or bashing Nigerians if I apologize. Its just that I am getting annoyed of the narrative thrown around here that AAs culture is only thug culture or AAs don't care about education.

To answer your question. Yes music has always been a big part of AA culture, I will admit that from Blues, gospels, early Rock, R&B, Soul and Hip Hop. But still not all AAs are trying to be rappers. Its only the ones in poverty who have no education options(they cant afford it) and so they turn to rapping or sports. As notice many AA rappers/athletes come from poor backgrounds. But the middle class AAs are not trying to be rappers and athletes since they are going to college. I never knew an AA in the middle class trying to be a rapper.

Once again I will admit when it comes to college Stem degrees are not degrees AAs usually go after, but I do in fact see many especially when I went to Atlanta go after business degrees. And I'm seeing more of it. Like I said my younger generation of AAs are going to college more often and are going to prison less often.

What you and others have to grasp is that we in America have poverty just Africans have poverty. I'll admit that the poverty in America may not be as severe as the poverty in Africa, but it is still poverty nonetheless. With poverty comes crime to make a living. It seems like AAs are all criminals or thugs because the image America sends to the world(America has a large media), just like we in America assume Africa is all poor because what the media sends to us! But I know this is not true for Africa and there are actually countries like Nigeria and Angola that are growing!

Like I said, yes indeed there are a good amount of AA "thugs", but we cant ignore the good amount of successful AA communities. This video supports my point in Atlanta which is considered an "AA mecca" having a lot of AA businessmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQKAW_PaZmA

^^^Is that not chasing the American dream?

As for AA culture again it is large and not "thug culture". If you want a good read on AA culture, you should checkout this thread I made on another site.
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/refuting-the-myth-that-black-american-music-culture-is-europeanized.280978/

AA culture is actually more "southern" than it is "urban Hip Hop."

And once again this thread is NOT to bash Nigerians or try to discredit Nigerian accomplishments, BUT TO GRASPS the concept on why Africans/Nigerians may seem to be doing better than AAs in America.

Once again I APOLOGIZE if I cam off as rude/bashing Nigerians. I didn't mean for that.

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 5:34pm On Feb 11, 2016
tonychristopher:
NOno noooooooooooooooooooooo you are not rude, I like yoir postulations...very intellectual at some point we have to disagree to agree...yes I will not make a blanket statement that AA are more of Thug culture but we have to look at the Stats, we still have nice educated AA but we are looking at the ratios here possibly in the neigbourhood of 3: 13 possibly...maybe it has to with with a lot of factors

complacency
free R and B culture
the Big Philly culture of partying and having barbeque day in day out( Dont mistake it..its a good idea to be laid back) but it should not be everytime
The AA in ATL are really doing great even the ones in Detriot...I was thinking that Detriot will be in sorry state when the declared bankrupt but the rose like sphinix

I will not make a blanket statement...bro your on point...we tend to have a convergence of ideas somewhere

Yes I agree AAs have A LOT to work on(both culturally and economically). Yes AAs are doing good in the south, but the south is just one region. But I was just trying to say in this thread that yes indeed there are more AA "thugs" in America than Nigerians, but we should not ignore the successful AAs who do exist in large numbers.

But glad we can come to a mutual understanding and thanks for the compliments. smiley
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 12, 2016
tonychristopher:

Are African immigrants better than the Africans left behind?

Chanda attacks the first argument, saying that the average African immigrant is very average:

I actually know that the average African immigrants to the UK from any nation or tribe are not from the African elite class, economically or intellectually (even if there is a small segment from the super-professional class)

He also points to the example of African American families. The children of middle-class and even upper-class African Americans do worse on IQ tests than the children of lower-class Euro-American families. So even if you select from the black elite, the next generation will still underperform whites.

One could counter that the African American middle class largely works for the government. In Africa, the middle class is more likely to be self-made men and women. Also, a selection effect may exist despite the averageness of most African immigrants to the UK. Even if most are average, it may be that fewer are below-average. Below a certain level of ability, many Africans may not bother to emigrate.

Fuerst (2014) has studied this question and found that black immigrants to the U.S. have a mean IQ that is one third of a standard deviation above the mean IQ of their home countries. So there is a selection effect. But it seems too weak to explain the difference in IQ—more than one standard deviation and possibly two—between African immigrants to the UK and Africans back home, unless one assumes that migration to the UK is a lot more selective than migration to the US.

What does the GCSE actually measure?

We now come to the second explanation. It is assumed in this debate that the GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) is a good proxy for IQ, which in turn is a proxy for the heritable component of intelligence. Is this true? Or does the GCSE largely measure something that is culturally acquired rather than heritable? Perhaps something as simple as showing up for class, doing one's assignments, or having a private tutor. This point is raised by one commenter:

[...] black Africans in London, even if poor and living in social housing, hire private tutors for their children. White British do not, especially the working class. This much better explains the GCSE results, a very tuition friendly test [...]

Furthermore, many African immigrants may be targeting those exams they can do best on and avoiding those they are less sure about:

[...] one needs to know how many children from each racial group take the exams. For example, the pass rate for Higher Mathematics is very high, not because the exams are easy, but because they are hard, and frighten off most applicants.

Interestingly, Chanda replies to this GCSE skepticism by pointing out that the same "Nigerians" (Igbos) who do well on the GCSE also do well in Nigeria:

For example, the subgroups within the Nigerian group that are the best in Nigeria or even in the US etc are also the best on the GCSEs. Also, the Traveller white (or whatever precise race) groups are placed by the GCSEs exactly where you would expect to find them.

The Igbo factor

This brings us to the third explanation. It's the one I favor, although the other two probably play a role. African excellence in the UK seems largely driven by a single high-performing people: the Igbo of southeastern Nigeria. Let's begin with the example of Harold Ekeh, whom Chanda describes in glowing terms:

Harold Ekeh showing off his acceptance letters to all 8 Ivy League Schools. He was born in Nigeria and migrated with his parents at age 8.

Ekeh is an Igbo name, and the Igbo (formerly known as Ibo) have a long history of academic success within Nigeria (Frost, 2015). Chanda himself referred to this success in his first article:

The superior Igbo achievement on GCSEs is not new and has been noted in studies that came before the recent media discovery of African performance. A 2007 report on "case study" model schools in Lambeth also included a rare disclosure of specified Igbo performance (recorded as Ibo in the table below) and it confirms that Igbos have been performing exceptionally well for a long time (5 + A*-C GCSEs); in fact, it is difficult to find a time when they ever performed below British whites. (Chisala, 2015a)

This superior achievement was widely known in Nigeria by the time of independence:

All over Nigeria, Ibos filled urban jobs at every level far out of proportion to their numbers, as laborers and domestic servants, as bureaucrats, corporate managers, and technicians. Two-thirds of the senior jobs in the Nigerian Railway Corporation were held by Ibos. Three-quarters of Nigeria's diplomats came from the Eastern Region. So did almost half of the 4,500 students graduating from Nigerian universities in 1966. The Ibos became known as the "Jews of Africa," despised—and envied—for their achievements and acquisitiveness. (Baker, 1980)

The term "Jews of Africa" recurs often in the literature. Henry Kissinger used it back in the 1960s:

The Ibos are the wandering Jews of West Africa — gifted, aggressive, Westernized; at best envied and resented, but mostly despised by the mass of their neighbors in the Federation. (Kissinger, 1969)

To what degree is African success Igbo success? If we go back to Chanda's first article, we see that high African achievers are overwhelmingly "Nigerians" (Chisala, 2015a). This is evident in a chart that lists mean % difference from the mean English GCSE score in 2010-2011 by ethnicity:

Nigerian: +21.8
Ghanaian: +5.5
Sierra Leone: +1.4
Somali: -23.7
Congolese: -35.3

Clearly, high academic achievement is due to something that is very much present in Nigeria, a little bit in Ghana, and not at all in Somalia and Congo. Could this something be the Igbo? The Igbo make up 18% of Nigeria's population and form a large diaspora elsewhere in West Africa and farther afield. In fact, they seem to be disproportionately represented in overseas Nigerian communities, making up most of the Nigerian community in Japan and a large portion of China's Nigerian community (Wikipedia, 2015). Statistics are unfortunately lacking for the UK.

Conclusion

What happens when we remove Igbo students from the GCSE results? How well do the other Africans do? To some degree, Chanda answered that question in his first article. African excellence seems to be overwhelmingly Igbo excellence.

So why doesn't he speak of Igbo excellence? Probably because he assumes that all sub-Saharan Africans are fundamentally the same. Or maybe he assumes that all humans are fundamentally the same. Both assumptions are wrong, and neither can be construed as an "HBD position."

We are all genetically different, even within our own families. So why the surprise that different African peoples are ... different? The Igbo have for a long time specialized in a trading lifestyle that favors a certain mental toolkit: future time orientation; numeracy, and abstract reasoning. This is gene-culture coevolution. When circumstances push people to excel in a certain way, there will be selection for people who can naturally excel in that way, without the prodding of circumstances. And it doesn't take eons of time for such evolution to work.

Will we hear more about the Igbo in this debate? Probably not. There is a strong desire, especially in the United Kingdom, to show that blacks are converging toward white norms of behavior, including academic performance. There is indeed some convergence, but almost all of it can be traced to the growing numbers of high-performing "Nigerians" (Igbos) and the growing numbers of biracial children (the census now has a mixed-race category, but most biracial people still self-identify as "black"wink. In the UK, 55% of Black Caribbean men and 40% of Black Caribbean women have a partner from another ethnic background. It's very likely that half of all "black" children in the UK are at least half-white by ancestry (Platt, 2009, p. 7).

Nor is it likely that we'll hear more about the Igbo from Chanda. As he sees it, the debate should be over. The academic excellence of Igbo students proves that the black/white IQ gap in the U.S. cannot have a genetic basis:

[It is not] a function of global racial evolution (Sub-Saharan African genes versus European genes), as most hereditarians believe, especially those who identify with the Human Biodiversity or HBD intellectual movement (generally known as "scientific racism" in academic circles, but we are avoiding such unkind terms).

Thank you, Chanda, for avoiding unkind terms. Well, I know a bit about HBD. The term was coined by Steve Sailer in the late 1990s for an email discussion group that included myself and various academics who may or may not want their names disclosed. It's hard to generalize but we were all influenced by findings that genetic evolution didn’t slow down as cultural evolution speeded up in our species. In fact, the two seemed to feed into each other. This is why genetic evolution accelerated over 100-fold about 10,000 years ago when humans began to abandon hunting and gathering for farming, which in turn led to ever more diverse societies. Our ancestors thus adapted much more to their cultural environments than to their natural environments. These findings were already circulating within our discussion group before being written up in a paper by Hawks et al. (2007) and later in a book by Greg Cochran and Henry Harpending (2009).

Yes, previously it was thought that genetic evolution slowed to a crawl with the advent of culture. Therefore, groups like the Igbo couldn't possibly differ genetically from other sub-Saharan Africans, at least not for anything culture-related. But that kind of thinking wasn't HBD or even racialist. It was simply the old anthropological narrative, and it's still accepted by many anthropologists, most of whom aren't "scientific racists."

Oh sorry, I forgot we promised to avoid that term.

http://evoandproud..com.ng/2015/10/no-blacks-arent-all-alike-who-said-they.html

How would you then, explain the discrepancy with African American performance, considering that a huge number of African Americans are actually descendants of igbo slaves?

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by tonychristopher: 4:08pm On Feb 12, 2016
Yeah..along the line the genes has been diluted or watered down by mixing with Natives American , you know the drop rule

then dont forget Nature and Nuture theory..environment, mixing of genes and a whole lot...so as you can see they have derailed

We Don’t Need Anymore Black Entertainers or Athletes- We need more SKILLED PROFESSIONALS!

It’s Graduation season. And Shawn wants to give some advice to the class of 2014.

Boys and girls we don’t need any more Black Entertainers in the Black community. We’re full up.

We don’t need any more rappers. We got enough Negroes running around here with sagging pants baggy T-shirts and bling looking hard, flexin and posing talking about they’re going to be the next Diddy and Jay-Z.

We got enough little girls twerkin’ jerkin and shaking their narrow little behinds trying to be the next Lil’ Kim.

We don’t need any more of these hip hop minstrels buckdancing and Coonin’ as they rap about bitches, hoes, and the dope game like it’s 1986. Stop trying to make Demo records on your iPhone and burning CD’s on your mama’s desktop. Stop harassing people in the neighborhood shopping districts on the weekend handing out free copies of your CD hoping to become a rap superstar. Diddy, Jay-Z and his producers ain’t coming to your neighborhood to discover your ass.

Black Boys and girls we don’t need any more Divas. We got enough Black females running around in short slinky dresses with all their cleavage and ass out talking about how they’re gonna be the next Beyonce. Or the Next Rihanna.

We don’t need any more of our sistas parading around half-naked and butt naked in music videos, on the covers of magazines and on record albums. We got enough little Black girls singing about how big their booties are and how sexy they are when they don’t even know what the word sexy means.

Sistas, we don’t need you to be Beyonce. We don’t need you to be Rihanna. We need you to be you. And we need you to go to school and get your education.

When you head down the wanna-be Diva road all that’s going to happen to you is you’re going to get told NO in the next series of American Idol auditions. Then what are you going to do with the rest of your life?

Black Boys and girls we don’t need any more Basketball players aspiring to be in the NBA. We got enough Negroes running around here with their chest and arms all tatted up talking about how they’re gonna be the next Lebron, the Next Kobe, or even the next Michael Jordan.

Half these Negroes think because they can dunk a ball on a playground court against some neighborhood guys they got the skills to be in the NBA. And the other half think because they scored a few points in a Varsity game or two in high school that they’re on their way to the NBA.

I’d advise them to focus on their algebra, trigonometry and calculus rather than their jump shot. If they did the math they’d see the chances of them getting that million dollar sneaker deal from Nike are a billion to one.

In most cases the handful of brothers who do make it in the NBA wind up second or third string. And most wind broke in three to five years after their careers end because most of these ballers lack the math skills to manage their money effectively.

It’s better for most of these brothers to focus their time on learning about finance and building wealth than being a basketball . Screw the Varsity and focus on getting a degree.

Boys and girls we don’t need any more football stars. The Black community is full up of Negroes running around trash talking about being the next Michael Strahan, Adrien Petesen or Jerry Rice.

Half these Negroes think because they can run with a football in Varsity they’re ready for the NFL. The other half think because they can catch a football tossed to them in a game of catch on the block they’re ready to take on the Super Bowl champs.

None of these Negroes are ready for Prime Time.

What they need to do is take them books on and learn more about plants in science class than practicing their End Zone Dance.

The chances of making it in the NFL are a billion to one. And in most cases the handful of brothers who do make it there wind up second or third string. And again, most wind up broke in three to five years after their careers end.

Let Shawn tell you what we really need in the Black community:

We need more scientists. It’s been decades since we’ve had a Dr. Charles Richard Drew create innovations like the Blood transfusion. Blacks have made countless innovations in the field of science. And we desperately need more brothers and sisters to enter the field of science to continue creating innovative medical procedures that will enrich the lives of mankind.

We need more doctors. Thirty years ago we had thousands of Black people entering the medical field and there was literally a doctor in almost every family. Now there’s a desparate need for medical professionals in the Black community.

We need more engineers. Engineers design everything from soda cans to skyscrapers. And many great inventions were created by Black engineers. However, we don’t

We need more Black people in Information Technology. Lots of brothers and play video games. Lots of sistas spend their time texting people. But how many of us are creating games? And how many of us are creating apps to communicate with others?

Computers now are an integral part of life controlling everything from lights to our cell phones and even the content we watch on the internet and our televisions. However, most Black people are still living in a proverbial stone age thinking they can get by with a VCR and a tube television with a coat hanger attached to it. In Black communities more people are interested in being entertainers than IT technicians, coders, web designers and systems analysts. We need brothers and sisters to learn how to break down a tablet, a laptop or a desktop and put it back together. And we need people to learn how to build networks, Internet Service providers and web hosting companies so we can control the Black part of the World Wide Web.

We need more Teachers. Enter any inner-city classroom and you’ll see all the teachers are White. That’s bad for Black children. When Black kids don’t see someone who looks like them as their teacher they learn White Supremacy at an early age because the first adult authority figure they see is a White person. They grow up believing White means smarter and associate being intelligent with being White. And when they’re told that there’s something wrong with them for acting out in class, they believe it in most cases for the rest of their lives.

When Black kids have Black teachers there’s a positive impact. When kids see someone who looks like them as their teacher, they grow up believing it’s possible for a Black person to achieve something. That it’s possible for Black people to be authority figures. And that being intelligent isn’t a “White” thing, it’s a human thing. There’s a desperate need for Black teachers, especially Black male teachers in the classroom. If more Black boys and girls saw someone who looked like them in the classroom the chances are better for them to aspire to be something other than a rapper and a ball player.

We need more screenwriters. Less than 2% of all the screenwriters who work in Hollywood in a given year are Black. And In order to get films, TV shows and movies made about the Black experience we need Black people with the ability to write our stories in format for the screen. Screenwriting is a craft and a skill trade that desperately needs more Black people in it and learning about it.

We need more directors and Black people behind the camera. The film industry in America is 95% white and 95% male. And we desperately need more Black people behind the camera. Film production is a skill trade with dozens of careers that can last a lifetime. But most Black people don’t think of becoming grips, best boys, stage hands, set designers, set decorators, wardrobe specialists, prop supervisor, camera operators, script supervisors, visual effects specialists, make-up artists, stuntpeople and other people with better paying union jobs behind the camera because they’ve been made to believe that the real power is in front of it.

We need more actors. Most of our Black actors and actresses are now in their 40s 50s and 60s. And there’s no one learning the craft to replace them. Right now we need young talent to become the next Angela Bassett, the next Denzel Washington, and the next Morgan Freeman. We need more Journeymen like Samuel L. Jackson. We need young brothers and sisters to pick up the baton and learn the craft of acting so that our stories can be told to the next generation.

We need Black Studio Executives. Want to know why there are so few Black films produced in a calendar year? Because there are ZERO Black executives in Hollywood. In order to get films greenlit you need to have a seat at the studio table. And because Black people don’t have the business skills to get a seat at the table great screenplays by Black writers never get the greenlight for production. Without a Black man controlling the money at the top, Black people at the bottom from actors to commissary don’t get jobs.

We need more writers and artists. An image, a sculpture, a painting or a written or a spoken word can inspire a generation. The only way to tell stories about the Black experience and Black culture is for us to do it ourselves. We desperately need Black writers and artists to tell our stories in the arts for African-American audiences. Art is another skill trade with plenty of jobs. But because the money isn’t fast, most Black people don’t see it as a set of skills that are valuable.

We need more people in the culinary arts. Foodservice is a huge business. It’s a skill trade that can be taken anywhere once a person learns it. Whether in a food truck or working the line at a restaurant there’s always a need for skilled foodservice workers. Everybody’s gotta eat, so there’s always a job in a restaurant somewhere.

We need more publishers. The image of Black people is now controlled by six corporations. That’s dangerous. It’s due to these big six corporations controlling the image of Black people that we have so many images of minstrel rappers and athletes, and jezebel singers and reality show stars. If there were more responsible and conscientious Black publishers controlling the image of Black people we’d see more images of Black scientists, engineers, doctors and other Black professionals and less of these two bit entertainers.

We need more businesspeople. In Hollywood there are no Black executives. And in Corporate America there are next to no Blacks in any of the senior executive positions at multi-national corporations. Right now we need more Black people starting their own businesses and creating opportunities for other Black people. We need businesspeople focused on creating a group economic business model for the Black community to create jobs that get Black people out of poverty.

Brothers and sisters, as you finish school and take yourself to the next level realize that what your community needs are skilled people ready to make a difference in the lives of people in this generation and the next one to come. The average entertainment career barely lasts two to four years, and after it’s over most entertainers are broke or struggling to make ends meet. But people who have specialized skills have careers that last a lifetime and will oftentimes always find a way to make themselves money.

http://shawnsjames..com.ng/2014/05/we-dont-need-anymore-black-entertainers.html

Muafrika2 Muafrika2

Muafrika2:

How would you then, explain the discrepancy with African American performance, considering that a huge number of African Americans are actually descendants of igbo slaves?

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by tonychristopher: 4:15pm On Feb 12, 2016
Muafrika2:

PHILADELPHIA -- People who identify as African-American may be as little as 1 percent West African or as much as 99 percent, just one finding of a large-scale, genome-wide study of African and African-American ancestry released today.

An international research team led by scientists from the University of Pennsylvania and Cornell University has collected and analyzed genotype data from 365 African-Americans, 203 people from 12 West African populations and 400 Europeans from 42 countries to provide a genome-wide perspective of African and African-American ancestry.......................The data reveal genomic diversity among African and African-American populations far more complex than originally thought and reflect deep historical, cultural and linguistic impacts on gene flow among populations. The data also point to the ability of geneticists to reliably discern ancestry using such data. Scientists found, for example, that they could distinguish African and European ancestry at each region of the genome of self-identified-African Americans.

This newly acquired genetic data revealed a number of important advances, including:

The rich mosaic of African-American ancestry. Among the 365 African-Americans in the study, individuals had as little as 1 percent West African ancestry and as much as 99 percent. There are significant implications for pharmacogenomic studies and assessment of disease risk. It appears that the range of genetic ancestry captured under the term African-American is extremely diverse, suggesting that caution should be used in prescribing treatment based on differential guidelines for African-Americans.
A median proportion of European ancestry in African-Americans of 18.5 percent, with large variation among individuals.
The predominately African origin of X chromosomes of African-Americans. This is consistent with the pattern of gene flow where mothers were mostly of African ancestry while fathers were either of African or European ancestry.
A technique which can reliably distinguish African and European ancestry for any particular region of the genome in African-Americans. This could have implications for personalized ancestry reconstructions, personalized medicine and more effective drug treatments and could aid in developing more effective methods for mapping genetic risk factors for diseases common in African-Americans, such as hypertension, diabetes and prostate cancer.
The similarity of the West African component of African-American ancestry to the profile from non-Bantu Niger-Kordofanian speaking populations, which include the Igbo and Yoruba from Nigeria and the Brong from Ghana
A comparison of the West African segments of African-American genomes. This is wholly in line with historical documents showing that the Igbo and Yoruba are two of the 10 most frequent ethnicities in slave trade records; however, most African-Americans also have ancestry from Bantu-speaking populations in western Africa.
Population structure within the West African samples reflecting primarily language and secondarily geographical distance, echoing the Bantu expansion from a homeland in West Africa across much of sub-Saharan Africa around 4,000 years ago.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-12/uop-gsc121809.php

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by tonychristopher: 4:23pm On Feb 12, 2016
Muafrika2:

The question of who is African.

While the variability hypothesis is intriguing, it is not without problems. For one, it may be that certain groups possess greater variation in genetic material than others, but this property has not been shown to be isomorphic with skin color. As well, even if one could demonstrate such a relationship, it would be necessary to also demonstrate that this factor was causal in black athletic preeminence. To date, none of these relationships have been shown to be true.

Furthermore, in the United States, where black athletes have excelled on both the national and international level, the assumption of intra-group homogeneity is problematic since migratory patterns and intermarriage among peoples from different groupings have created a genetic admixture which is too complex to meaningfully disentangle. Price (1997b) points out that although most black Americans are descendants of slaves who emanated from western Africa, 90% have some white blood in their ancestry. An interesting example of this point is illustrated when one attempts to categorize Tiger Woods. He has been hailed by some as the first black golfer to win the Masters. But Tiger contends that he does not consider himself black, but "cablinasian," which more accurately portrays his Caucasian, Black, American Indian and Asian heritage (El Nasser, 1997). Again, from a sociological viewpoint what constitutes a black in the United States relates to whether or not an individual has any black ancestry, rather than whether his or her underlying genetics is representative of a group of people a common gene pool. Consequently, even if we were to subscribe to the variability hypothesis conveyed by Burfoot (1992) and Gladwell (1997), we would still have the problem of identifying individuals who were members of the group to which the idea applied. Simply categorizing individuals as black or white would not be enough.

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by isalegan2: 9:29pm On Feb 12, 2016
tonychristopher:

I am still here but I find it hard to have a meaningful conversation due to how the forum has degenerated to an infantile thing ...one can't even have a decent convo again..it is either they ban you or you get insulted by these kids

To be frank I am thinking of deactivating my account sometime I just read post

People rarely make informed and empirical statement ..now the igbo also have been on edge

I think suen is killing this forum slowly

Agreed. The dude deserves whatever befalls this site. Did you see what he did to Aareonakakanfo's 300-page thread? Whether you like Aare or not, he did a great job and simply was not experienced enough with NL dirty tricks to know his thread would have been safer in the Culture or General section where another moderator first moved it. But what was ultimately done in order to wrest control from the OP was so unnecessary - - using Mynd to do his dirty work. Like Fayose like Mynd. Doggone Ekiti gangsters. grin

http://www.punchng.com/protests-monarch-accuses-fayose-destroying-billboard/

Actually, reading the above story elsewhere is what made me checkout what's the trending Naijiriya news on Nairaland in almost a month. Looks like many old-timers are staying away for long periods too.
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by RandomAfricanAm: 7:27am On Feb 26, 2016
KidStranglehold:
@RandomAfricanAm

If you still come on here what are your thoughts?

My fault yo I've been at your site the coli in the videogame section for a couple weeks. let me look over this topic.

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by RandomAfricanAm: 10:45am On Feb 26, 2016

You brought me into this......

Well this is going to be a good size post, but I will say this. I probably have different position from most people here ...thoigh i'll prob share point s as well. You have to know a few things....

1. I've never had any issues with African or Caribbean immigrants, that dynamic just doesn't exist in many places down here. All my experiences have been very nice and almost solely with students. There are no "African or Caribbean enclaves" that I know of.

2. I'm from the south...
[img]http://1.bp..com/--eX2kIhj01Y/UlbPkbLQ44I/AAAAAAAAAFk/UG-58TGHzao/s1600/400px-Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries-by-County.svg.png[/img]

3. I'm from a city where African Americans ran the city I.E. no crazy police issues you see in other places(which is just as much a sovereignty/governance issue as policing issue)

4. I grew up "well off" in a financially integrated area I.E. middle, working, and lower class African Americans all relatively close together.

5. I reject the construction of "education" being tossed around.

So I'm going to get some things together that denotes...

1. A break down of the African American population in america(I don't think people realize how huge a population it really is)
2. Delineate the different social/economic branches of the African Americans and how they interact
3. A break down of "education" what it means in different contexts.(most of whats being discussed here sounds like "training" to achieve some perceived "social status" that comes along with a certificate/certification)
4. Timeline of events in the push for access to "training" and push to revamp the "training system" into a true "educational system".(It seems people are unaware the extent of pressure that African Americans have placed on the "educational system" to gain access and make it more than an indoctrination entity ....people actually went into schools with guns and shut the campus down for the sake of true "education".)
5.Documentation on the African American presence in ghana and South Africa.

This is going to be a long post, and I'm going to have to collect a far amount of documents so it'll be awhile.I'm in the middle of promoting my new business right now also www.videogamestashbox.com and it's indiegogo campaign http://igg.me/at/videogamestashbox/x/13349858

so I have to find time to squeeze it in. Thanks for the invite to the topic.....

3 Likes

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 26, 2016
RandomAfricanAm:

My fault yo I've been at your site the coli in the videogame section for a couple weeks. let me look over this topic.

Nice to see you again! shocked

And yeah I've been on the Coli. I never knew you were on the Coli. shocked

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Stillfire: 5:56pm On Feb 26, 2016
@kidstranglehold

I think the stance that it is mostly affluent Nigerian immigrants that come to America is quite overblown. Affluent Nigerians typically come to Western countries for university education or to give birth to their kids, then they go back home. It is the lower middle class or poor ones you typically see struggling to remain in America, because in Nigeria if you do not have the network or connections the affluent ones have, you are finished. Most of us had a relative or two who had come in here to struggle thereby opening the doors for the rest of us. Here in America, despite the racism, you can have an honest job and your boss is still required to treat you as a human being. Not the same in Nigeria. People with menial jobs in Nigeria are practically slaves to their bosses. So we remain here in America. I wish we were all wealthy, but most of us were not affluent in Nigeria.

Now wealthy or not, education is highly prioritized in any Nigerian household. Our parents use us as bragging rights to their friends. We Nigerians typically have one village meeting or the other and be rest assured our people will ask you questions like what are you doing now education wise, what schools have you applied to, when will you be graduating with a degree, It's not even a matter of just going to college, it is a matter of dominating scientific professions. An intervention meeting can be called for you if your answers are not favorable. If at all you say you want to be an actress, you must have a degree in acting, or they tell you can have your acting hobby, but you should a degree in something in case acting doesn't work out.
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by RandomAfricanAm: 1:50am On Feb 27, 2016
Another thing I forgot to add above that will factor strongly into my coming reply.

The "American dream" means absolutly nothing to me. It's simply a historical point they told us in elementary school about people coming from Europe thinking the streets were paved with gold. I.E propaganda Put another way when you live here you know what the streets look like. undecided

I actually wrote a post about this a while back, before the big data wipe that caused me to leave.............

RandomAfricanAm:
An earlier naraland thread asking "what's the Nigerian dream?" reminded me of an article I read awhile back where a group from a Caribbean country(Name not necessary) living in the U.S made the comment

"African Americans don't believe in the American dream anymore but we still believe in the American dream."

I don't disagree or agree with that assessment one way or the other. I have issue with the central topic "The American dream" and it's validity as being something to believe in. That sounds like something I vaguely remember being discussed in elementary school concerning early European settlers in the 1700-1800s thinking the cities were made of gold or something outrageous like that(which is also reminiscent of the idea European explorers had who were killing the indigenous people of the Americas in search of El dorado "the city of gold" ).

If the idea of "The American dream" is present in Nigeria...
1.Where does this idea come from?
2.How is it propagated to the children?

I'm an African American and I skip the proposition of belief altogether and say the idea of "The American Dream" holds no real meaning for me. I'm not even aware it is something I was suppose to consider The only dream they push around here is MLKs' dream and I think that is just propaganda to keep people docile(for lack of a better word).

If I had "a dream" it would be for African people to...
1. Have our own curriculum that teaches African history and the intellectual tools to build the industries needed to protect & nurture Africa.
2. Practice our cultures without pressure from outside actors trying to change it to suit their visions of "how the world should be".
3. Use our cultures as the foundation for further cultural improvements(as oppose to whole sale adapting of others culture)
4. Have the capacity to extract, process, and manufacture all the goods Africa needs with the resources in the ground
5. Have the capacity to move all goods around the continent and trade internally.
6. Be independent of all non-African owned NGOs, production, and/or extraction corporations only leaving foreign sellers, traders, and tourist.
7. Have a resource depot for surpluses in the Caribbean, Seychelles/Mauritius, and Kerkennah Islands.(Sale surplues after domestic needs met)
8. Diaspora uses sale of Continental surplus resources from depots as base financial revenue generator to make them economically independent.
9. Funds from surplus sales are used to fund the ideas & dreams of the diaspora(banking, new business ,schools, movies, tech innovations, etc)
10. Live life as an African in contact & harmony with humanity but insulated from the political games of foreigners especialy these Europeans and their propped up "African/Black leaders" looking for favor & status.
Oh yeah.
Systems of governance of African making; based on and respecting/integrating African cultures would be fantastic also. Economic freedom for north African Tamazight/Nubian groups so they don't have to go through Arabs to meet their needs/ambitions on their own land/continent.

[size=16pt]Sorry that was so long winded[/size] grin
Speaking as one African American if I had a "dream" the above would be closer to it and that dream clearly has little to do with "America". So if I don't believe in "The American Dream" it's cause I personally have a better more fulfilling "African Dream" to work towards.

But hey, wadaya do undecided

[size=18pt]@38:55 - @40:00 <------skip to here[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8sBTyHiT44?t=2335

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by alanmwene: 2:38am On Feb 27, 2016
Fulaman198:
The truth is Nigerians are some of the most educated people in the world. #1 in the U.K. from an educational standpoint and #1 in the United States.

I'm not saying it's right for some Nigerians to have that despicable attitude of looking down on African Americans. Those are Nigerians that don't know better.

But in regards to educational achievement, you can't take that away from Nigerians.
I beg to differ!
How many Nigerians are professors at Cambridge,oxford or imperial college?
how many Nigerians are there studying maths or physics at Cambridge,oxford,etc....?
How can Nigerians be n01 in usa when you have jews,russians,chineses and Indians hijacking all the best scientific universities in USA(MIT,harvard,stanford,etc....)?
If you take maths for example,the best Africans in usa come from francophone Africa:
Harvard:
Tchetgen tchetgen from cameroun:Mathematician educated at Harvard and full professor of statistics and biostatistics at Harvard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG6lllHwFqA
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/eric-tchetgen-tchetgen/

Mboyo esole :Belgian-born Congolese mathematician and physicist and Benjamin pierce assistant professor of mathematics and physics (algebraic geometry,string theory,...) working with mathematican and Fields medallist shing-tung yau:
http://www.math.harvard.edu/~esole/
Seminars by mboyo esole:

http://www.math.harvard.edu/conferences/frg12/
http://www.math.fsu.edu/~aluffi/AMS_Special_Session.html
Very very strong guy!

Demba Ba(guinee Conakry):Msc and PHD in electrical engineering with minor in maths from the MIT and assistant professor in bioengineering at Harvard.
http://users.neurostat.mit.edu/demba-ba/
If you add jelani nelson(MIT and institute for advanced studies) that all the young blacks you found teaching scientific subjects at Harvard.There is no Nigerian!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYiWm6FMmjQ
For the old generation of mathematiicans,it alson dominated by francophone Africans:
Augustin banyaga:The first African mathematician to be fellow of the institute for advanced studies
Wilfrid gangbo:First African full professor of maths at Georgia tech anf first African to publish in the annals of maths
That pretty much the best African mathematicians in usa.
Idris assani:The firs black mathematician to be full professor of maths at university of north Carolina chapel hill.Very top guy

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Fulaman198(m): 10:33am On Feb 27, 2016
alanmwene:

I beg to differ!
How many Nigerians are professors at Cambridge,oxford or imperial college?
how many Nigerians are there studying maths or physics at Cambridge,oxford,etc....?
How can Nigerians be n01 in usa when you have jews,russians,chineses and Indians hijacking all the best scientific universities in USA(MIT,harvard,stanford,etc....)?
If you take maths for example,the best Africans in usa come from francophone Africa:
Harvard:
Tchetgen tchetgen from cameroun:Mathematician educated at Harvard and full professor of statistics and biostatistics at Harvard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG6lllHwFqA
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/eric-tchetgen-tchetgen/

Mboyo esole :Belgian-born Congolese mathematician and physicist and Benjamin pierce assistant professor of mathematics and physics (algebraic geometry,string theory,...) working with mathematican and Fields medallist shing-tung yau:
http://www.math.harvard.edu/~esole/
Seminars by mboyo esole:

http://www.math.harvard.edu/conferences/frg12/
http://www.math.fsu.edu/~aluffi/AMS_Special_Session.html
Very very strong guy!

Demba Ba(guinee Conakry):Msc and PHD in electrical engineering with minor in maths from the MIT and assistant professor in bioengineering at Harvard.
http://users.neurostat.mit.edu/demba-ba/
If you add jelani nelson(MIT and institute for advanced studies) that all the young blacks you found teaching scientific subjects at Harvard.There is no Nigerian!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYiWm6FMmjQ
For the old generation of mathematiicans,it alson dominated by francophone Africans:
Augustin banyaga:The first African mathematician to be fellow of the institute for advanced studies
Wilfrid gangbo:First African full professor of maths at Georgia tech anf first African to publish in the annals of maths
That pretty much the best African mathematicians in usa.
Idris assani:The firs black mathematician to be full professor of maths at university of north Carolina chapel hill.Very top guy

Why am I not surprised that Congolese guy or a guy from another Bantu country (not sure if you are from DRC) would beg to differ.

Look, there are no two ways about it. Nigerians are known and renowned for their educational excellence (not to brag or boast) in both the U.K. and the U.S. no matter how much you want to deny it Monsieur Congolais. C'est la verite! Many Nigerians and Ghanaians abroad are going to top schools of their own choosing.

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Fulaman198(m): 10:36am On Feb 27, 2016
RandomAfricanAm:

You brought me into this......

Well this is going to be a good size post, but I will say this. I probably have different position from most people here ...thoigh i'll prob share point s as well. You have to know a few things....

1. I've never had any issues with African or Caribbean immigrants, that dynamic just doesn't exist in many places down here. All my experiences have been very nice and almost solely with students. There are no "African or Caribbean enclaves" that I know of.

2. I'm from the south...
[img]http://1.bp..com/--eX2kIhj01Y/UlbPkbLQ44I/AAAAAAAAAFk/UG-58TGHzao/s1600/400px-Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries-by-County.svg.png[/img]

3. I'm from a city where African Americans ran the city I.E. no crazy police issues you see in other places(which is just as much a sovereignty/governance issue as policing issue)

4. I grew up "well off" in a financially integrated area I.E. middle, working, and lower class African Americans all relatively close together.

5. I reject the construction of "education" being tossed around.

So I'm going to get some things together that denotes...

1. A break down of the African American population in america(I don't think people realize how huge a population it really is)
2. Delineate the different social/economic branches of the African Americans and how they interact
3. A break down of "education" what it means in different contexts.(most of whats being discussed here sounds like "training" to achieve some perceived "social status" that comes along with a certificate/certification)
4. Timeline of events in the push for access to "training" and push to revamp the "training system" into a true "educational system".(It seems people are unaware the extent of pressure that African Americans have placed on the "educational system" to gain access and make it more than an indoctrination entity ....people actually went into schools with guns and shut the campus down for the sake of true "education".)
5.Documentation on the African American presence in ghana and South Africa.

This is going to be a long post, and I'm going to have to collect a far amount of documents so it'll be awhile.I'm in the middle of promoting my new business right now also www.videogamestashbox.com and it's indiegogo campaign http://igg.me/at/videogamestashbox/x/13349858

so I have to find time to squeeze it in. Thanks for the invite to the topic.....

Nicely written in an informative and well-formulated sequence as always RandomAfricanAmericanInEQ. Hope you are doing well man. I have not seen you much in the programming/computer science section of the forums recently. Your Input (no pun intended) has been missed. What projects have you been working on if you don't mind me asking?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas / Yorubas Lets Share Our Lineage Praises Here / Pictures From The Final Day Of The Third African Drum Festival, Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 235
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.