Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,196 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Swallow Painfull Pill Of Electricity Tariff Hike – Fashola Pleads With Consumers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Swallow Painfull Pill Of Electricity Tariff Hike – Fashola Pleads With Consumers (499 Views)

Poor State Of Roads: My Hands Are Tied, Fashola Pleads With Nigerians / NLC To Declare Nationwide Strike Against Electricity Tariff Hike, Fuel Scarcity / Accept Electricity Tariff Hike As Painful Pill – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Swallow Painfull Pill Of Electricity Tariff Hike – Fashola Pleads With Consumers by FWJOBSNG: 1:35am On Feb 10, 2016
Babatunde Fashola, Minister of Power, Works and Housing, described the increased electricity tariffs as “a painful pill,” appealing to consumers to “swallow” it.

He said, “Importantly, I understand that people who have been disappointed over a long time will feel a sense of concern that again tariffs have gone up. But the truth is that these tariffs ought to have been there from day one. I don’t know why the government of yesterday was not courageous enough to tell us this was the price.

“It is a painful pill that I must appeal that we swallow. It is like quinine and malaria. It’s painful; it’s not sweet, I know that, but I do it because we are not left with many choices. This is the first major decision in power that this administration has taken. There are other problems.

”I can only appeal for some understanding and some trust that we do this in the best interest of our country. It is a hard decision, but I think down the line, we will have cause to look…”

The minister, said the sector was being plagued by several problems including gas supply shortfall and transmission issue.

“The problem is everywhere. The problem is with us. The problem is with gas. The problem is with transmission. The problem is with the way the privatisation exercise itself was conducted.”

http://www.financialwatchngr.com/2016/02/10/swallow-painfull-pill-of-electricity-tariff-hike-fashola-pleads-with-consumers/

Re: Swallow Painfull Pill Of Electricity Tariff Hike – Fashola Pleads With Consumers by Atlantian: 2:08am On Feb 10, 2016
Hahahahaha, Fashola is seriously blaming Jonathan for not increasing price of electricity, and if Jonathan did, he would have been the one to insult Jonathan. I certainly believe the APC government are totally rotten in their brains. Even a so called SAN is talking like a truck pusher.
Re: Swallow Painfull Pill Of Electricity Tariff Hike – Fashola Pleads With Consumers by kilokeys(m): 2:48am On Feb 10, 2016
Why are we not surprised?

Fashola has never tolerated the common man. From Okada ban in lagos, to deportation of non-lagosians he felt caused nuisance.

Now he has taken it to the National level.

Some idiots will come here, quote me, and tell me about the need for these measures in advancing national development.

My question to you is,
Before you increase tariff Mr Minister and his proponents, have you considered the minimum wage of Nigerians?

In the UK as at 2015 January, the minimum wage for the least worker (let's say, cleaners) was £1'387.87 that's equivalent to #320, 000 in naira.

Can you imagine the discrepancy? Compared to #19800

So if they pay an individual pays an average of £100 per month for power (including heating which we don't need as much) in London.. Thats about #22,500 naira.. How much should a nigerian collecting #19800 pay?

I'll do the maths

#1,400 approx.

That is to say.. An individual in 1-bedroom living on minimum wage should not pay more than #1,400 per month for electricity..

A friend in dubai complains his rent in his furnished and serviced apartment is equivalent to #350,000 per month..
I laughed. He earns about #1.5M per month

Pay us well and we will never complain about utility bills.

Na God wan punish una.

Nigeria is the only place you put the cart before the horse.

We ban Okada riders without making alternative jobs and forms of transport

We demolish marketplaces ( no relocation plan, to settlements)

We increase tariffs when we don't get value for our money.

God please help me out of this hellhole

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Swallow Painfull Pill Of Electricity Tariff Hike – Fashola Pleads With Consumers by orisa37: 3:25pm On Feb 10, 2016
We can't swallow this at all. It's a lethal injection. Fashola reduce utilities prices
Re: Swallow Painfull Pill Of Electricity Tariff Hike – Fashola Pleads With Consumers by Tequilah: 3:32pm On Feb 11, 2016
kilokeys:
Why are we not surprised?

Fashola has never tolerated the common man. From Okada ban in lagos, to deportation of non-lagosians he felt caused nuisance.

Now he has taken it to the National level.

Some idiots will come here, quote me, and tell me about the need for these measures in advancing national development.

My question to you is,
Before you increase tariff Mr Minister and his proponents, have you considered the minimum wage of Nigerians?

In the UK as at 2015 January, the minimum wage for the least worker (let's say, cleaners) was £1'387.87 that's equivalent to #320, 000 in naira.

Can you imagine the discrepancy? Compared to #19800

So if they pay an individual pays an average of £100 per month for power (including heating which we don't need as much) in London.. Thats about #22,500 naira.. How much should a nigerian collecting #19800 pay?

I'll do the maths

#1,400 approx.

That is to say.. An individual in 1-bedroom living on minimum wage should not pay more than #1,400 per month for electricity..

A friend in dubai complains his rent in his furnished and serviced apartment is equivalent to #350,000 per month..
I laughed. He earns about #1.5M per month

Pay us well and we will never complain about utility bills.

Na God wan punish una.

Nigeria is the only place you put the cart before the horse.

We ban Okada riders without making alternative jobs and forms of transport

We demolish marketplaces ( no relocation plan, to settlements)

We increase tariffs when we don't get value for our money.

God please help me out of this hellhole

Chai!! shocked You dey vex pass me sef. cool I really don't know why they are increasing tariffs on a service whose performance still falls far short of the requirements or needs of most Nigerians...

(1) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki: Ineffective Implementation Of Past Budgets Bane Of The Economy / Police Checkpoint And Bribe Collection: What's Your Experience? / EFCC Declares Ex-militant Tompolo Wanted Over N34bn Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.