Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:40 AM

Questions About Lent - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Questions About Lent (751 Views)

Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here / Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Happy Ash Wednesday. What Are Your Plans This Lent Period?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions About Lent by Nobody: 3:54am On Feb 10, 2016
Greetings of peace

I'm curious about Lent fasting. Is Lent fasting similar to Ramadan ie. No food nor drink between sunrise to sunset ? How long is the fasting period. Is it obligatory, jurisprudence etc. I just want straight answers ,no argument. I won't post, just want to learn. Thank you very kindly in advance.
Re: Questions About Lent by Ifedinho08(m): 6:25am On Feb 10, 2016
Unlike the Ramadan.. U can take your fast to how long your strength can take you i.e yhu can break by 12pm, 3pm, 6pm or even 9pm if your strength can take u.. If you wish to be a partaker of it
hockeyoilers:
Greetings of peace
I'm curious about Lent fasting. Is Lent fasting similar to Ramadan ie. No food nor drink between sunrise to sunset ? How long is the fasting period. Is it obligatory, jurisprudence etc. I just want straight answers ,no argument. I won't post, just want to learn. Thank you very kindly in advance.
Re: Questions About Lent by Ifedinho08(m): 6:26am On Feb 10, 2016
Unlike the Ramadan.. U can take your fast to how long your strength can take you i.e yhu can break by 12pm, 3pm, 6pm or even 9pm if your strength can take u.. If you wish to be a partaker of it
hockeyoilers:
Greetings of peace
Re: Questions About Lent by onetrack(m): 7:24am On Feb 10, 2016
hockeyoilers:
Greetings of peace

Atheist here but grew up going to church. Lent varies from church to church. The Catholics have their traditions, as do the Orthodox and Protestant churches. Many Protestant churches don't really do that much for Lent in terms of fasting; my church did not mandate any type of fasting.

However, for the most part one is expected to reduce consumption of food (as in one meal a day, usually in the afternoon, and a small snack at night), and no meat, wine, or milk products. There is no fasting on Sunday--this is true for all churches I believe. They are also supposed to pray a lot more during this time period. In more recent times churches have simply asked that people give up something they really like for the entire Lent, instead of fasting. So some people give up alcohol or meat or even social media for 40 days.
Re: Questions About Lent by gemale(m): 8:14am On Feb 10, 2016
Fasting is suggested & recommended nt obligatory till wteva period d person decides 2 break. Also abstinence 4rm pleasure is also recommended.
Re: Questions About Lent by Nobody: 8:41am On Feb 10, 2016
onetrack:

Atheist here but grew up going to church. Lent varies from church to church. The Catholics have their traditions, as do the Orthodox and Protestant churches. Many Protestant churches don't really do that much for Lent in terms of fasting; my church did not mandate any type of fasting.

However, for the most part one is expected to reduce consumption of food (as in one meal a day, usually in the afternoon, and a small snack at night), and no meat, wine, or milk products. There is no fasting on Sunday--this is true for all churches I believe. They are also supposed to pray a lot more during this time period. In more recent times churches have simply asked that people give up something they really like for the entire Lent, instead of fasting. So some people give up alcohol or meat or even social media for 40 days.

Atheist kor. Y'all just deceiving yourselves. You have to believe in the concept of something before you can coin a name for those who choose to disbelieve in that concept.
Re: Questions About Lent by onetrack(m): 10:40am On Feb 10, 2016
samted:

Atheist kor. Y'all just deceiving yourselves. You have to believe in the concept of something before you can coin a name for those who choose to disbelieve in that concept.

So I have to believe in Spiderman before I can call myself a 'non-Spiderman-believer'?

Do you believe in Spiderman?
Re: Questions About Lent by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 10, 2016
onetrack:

So I have to believe in Spiderman before I can call myself a 'non-Spiderman-believer'?

Do you believe in Spiderman?

how can you say you don't believe in something if there is no concept of it? if something doesn't exist or doesn't have a possibility of existing, what then is the point of saying you dont believe in it??

i hope you can understand my simple logic here. (Atheists are supposed to be 'smart and rational thinking' people
Re: Questions About Lent by onetrack(m): 7:44pm On Feb 10, 2016
samted:

how can you say you don't believe in something if there is no concept of it? if something doesn't exist or doesn't have a possibility of existing, what then is the point of saying you dont believe in it??

i hope you can understand my simple logic here. (Atheists are supposed to be 'smart and rational thinking' people

God is a concept. Spiderman is a concept. I do not believe that either one exists, but that does not mean that the idea of them cannot exist.

Q.E.D.
Re: Questions About Lent by Maamin(m): 8:11pm On Feb 10, 2016
In lent you dont have to wake up early in the morning and eat heaven and earth, then claim you are fasting for the day.. grin

(1) (Reply)

Does God Forgive Broken Promises? / Muslim Divers Observing Salat(prayer) Under The Sea / An Open Letter To God.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.