Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,855 members, 7,802,743 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa (943 Views)

Nigerians Slam Ben-Bruce For Printing His Book In U.S: You're Hypocrite / BREAKING News:director Of Legendary Movie Things Fall Apart Is Dead / U.S. Excludes Nigeria From Africa’s Democracy Summit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by Afaukwu: 8:46pm On Jul 04, 2009
http://www.newsweek.com/id/204478/?q=/name:0/type:0/range:0/page:1
Newsweek's Top 100 Books: The Meta-List
Declaring the best book ever written is tricky business. Who's to say what the best is? We went one step further: we crunched the numbers from 10 top books lists (Modern Library, the New York Public Library, St. John's College reading list, Oprah's, and more) to come up with The Top 100 Books of All Time. It's a list of lists — a meta-list. Let the debate begin.
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by Tudor6(f): 8:53pm On Jul 04, 2009
TFA is actually a nice novel i enjoyed it, but as for being amongst the best of the best. . .pssssssft!
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by Afaukwu: 8:54pm On Jul 04, 2009
your opinion; stick to it.
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by AloyEmeka9: 9:02pm On Jul 04, 2009
I didn't know things fall apart beat the catcher in the Rye. That book is as popular as Michael Jackson.
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by tpiah: 12:28am On Jul 05, 2009
so since 1958 no single African has been able to write good literature?

hmmm, that's interesting.
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by naijaking1: 1:11am On Jul 05, 2009
tpiah:

so since 1958 no single African has been able to write good literature?
hmmm, that's interesting.
That's so interesting that you should say this, because 1958-60 is the period many people say Africa's development peaked.
In Nigeria everything, including education has been downhill since then angry
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by Beaf: 2:15am On Jul 05, 2009
Things Fall Apart is a truely great novel of profound quality. I'm surprised it's not much higher up on the list.

Well done  kiss Chinua Achebe kiss!
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by tpiah: 2:20am On Jul 05, 2009
naijaking1:

That's so interesting that you should say this, because 1958-60 is the period many people say Africa's development peaked.
In Nigeria everything, including education has been downhill since then angry

indeed!

Personally, I would find it[b] very[/b] embarassing to say nothing good has come out of Africa either in literature or elsewhere, since 1960. Any enquiring outsider would wonder if there's something intrinsically wrong with the nature of the person or persons making that claim.
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by savanaha: 2:25am On Jul 05, 2009
Things Fall Apart has always deserved a Nobel Peace Prize.
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by Ijawman(m): 4:40am On Jul 05, 2009
Tpiah

The best book on the list (number 1) was written in 1869. You may want to check the list out. So TFA written in 1960 and ranking 14 is no big deal
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by SeanT21(f): 7:10am On Jul 05, 2009
tpiah:

indeed!

Personally, I would find it[b] very[/b] embarassing to say nothing good has come out of Africa either in literature or elsewhere, since 1960. Any enquiring outsider would wonder if there's something intrinsically wrong with the nature of the person or persons making that claim.

That list is ridiculous.There are many great African novels out there.Something is definitely wrong with the person who made that list.
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by maedan(f): 7:16am On Jul 05, 2009
TFA in the top 20? The only African novel? I really have to go and read that book(again). Hope I can find a modern edition with larger print, unlike the original. It must be really good. Chinua Achebe, well done, you. wink
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by RichyBlacK(m): 5:46am On Jul 08, 2009
While illiterate zombies are parading themselves as gofment officials in Abuja, looting the treasury and thanking God "for His blessings", the likes of Achebe have, through their works, made us proud to be Nigerians.

Things Fall Apart is truly an exceptional work of art. Kudos to Chinua Achebe and all the many Nigerians that have worked to make us proud!

I only wish more of our so-called lawmakers could read so they can at least read that book.

It's so sad that the intelligent Nigerians have left politics for the dregs, the most vile, most filthy bottom feeders our society can muster!
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by AjanleKoko: 7:18am On Jul 08, 2009
For one thing, TFA is probably the number one book that has been read by all Nigerians, and most Africans.

It's a great novel, a timeless classic. Kudos to Achebe, he deserves more laurels than he has so far.
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by AloyEmeka9: 8:41am On Jul 08, 2009
SeanT21:

That list is ridiculous.There are many great African novels out there.Something is definitely wrong with the person who made that list.
They never said there are no other great books from Africa. They listed the most ones people search for. Bestsellers doesn't mean best books. A biography of Michael Jackson may sell more than the number one book there and so on. As a matter of fact, Chinua has other books that I think are better than TFA, his Arrow of God and No Longer at Ease stands in African literature. Ngugi Wa Thiongo's[b] the beautiful ones are not yet born[/b] is another one.
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by JustGood(m): 9:52am On Jul 08, 2009
who rates books that are not written in English? undecided
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by Eziachi: 10:54am On Jul 08, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

They never said there are no other great books from Africa. They listed the most ones people search for. Bestsellers doesn't mean best books. A biography of Michael Jackson may sell more than the number one book there and so on. As a matter of fact, Chinua has other books that I think are better than TFA, his Arrow of God and No Longer at Ease stands in African literature. Ngugi Wa Thiongo's[b] the beautiful ones are not yet born[/b] is another one.

Exactly, a best seller is not necessaily the the best book eg Harry Porter.
But man if you are interested in African writers and you haven't read those books: Things Fall Apart, Arrow of God and Ngugi Wathiong's The beautiful ones are not yet born, you are really had miss some gem. I will recommend also the Autobiography of former Kenyan Vice president Odiga Oginga (the father of Rai, their present prime minister) The book is called NOT YET UHURU. Brilliant, Brilliant book, almost 700 pages but you will not drop it until its finished.
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by deb(m): 12:52pm On Jul 08, 2009
Kudos to Chinua Achebe.

They never said there are no other great books from Africa. They listed the most ones people search for. Bestsellers doesn't mean best books. A biography of Michael Jackson may sell more than the number one book there and so on. As a matter of fact, Chinua has other books that I think are better than TFA, his Arrow of God and No Longer at Ease stands in African literature. Ngugi Wa Thiongo's the beautiful ones are not yet born is another one.

I disagree on the above highlighted book. I've read it too
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by mzansigirl(f): 4:28pm On Jul 08, 2009
@ aloy.emeka

The beautiful ones are not yet born- wasnt it written by Ayi Kwei Armah??
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by MrCrackles(m): 5:33pm On Jul 08, 2009
I am surprised it didnt make top ten!
Quality book. . . . . . .
Re: Thins Fall Apart Is 14th Best Book In The World-the Only One From Africa by obiem(m): 10:21am On Jul 09, 2009
Achebe truly deserves a Noble prize for Literature. I don't understand y he hasn't been awarded that although he has come close twice in 2003 and 2005, and a Man Booker prize in 2004.

Anyday, Achebe's the best when it comes to fiction story telling.

Chimamanda's second

Others follow.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Situation #10: An Inordinate View Of “culture” And "tradition" / Anambra State Again! Peter Obi Has Been Expelled From His Party: / It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.