Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake (33242 Views)

Hierarchy Of Yoruba Obas As Of 1920 / Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Topam: 7:35am On Feb 10, 2016
The Alake and paramount ruler of Egbaland, Oba Adedotun Aremu Gbadebo has maintained his stand on the ranking of Yoruba Obas, pledging to release evidence to back his claims.
The Alake who spoke through his Special Adviser on media Affairs, Chief Lai Labode said he does not want to engage in controversy with anyone.
The Paramount ruler had on Saturday stirred the hornet’s nest, declaring that the Ooni of Ife remained the highest in the ranking of Yoruba Obas.
The Alake who also identified ego as the cause of disunity among traditional rulers and people of Yoruba extraction, said the Ife monarch is the highest of the five principal Obas in Yorubaland.
Oba Gbadebo said this while receiving the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi in his Ake, Abeokuta, Ogun State palace.

The Alake who had listed the other Obas below the Ooni to include the Alaafin of Oyo and the Oba of Benin coming second and third, respectively, in that order.
He also listed his own title, the Alake of Egbaland as the fourth while the Awujale of Ijebuland occupies the lowest rung of ladder.
The Alake said, “Ooni is one of the five principal Obas in Yorubaland. The others are in order of the way they are classified on supremacy basis. After the Ooni is the Alaafin. After the Alaafin, the Oba of Benin. After the Oba of Benin, it comes to the Alake of Egbaland and the fifth and by no means the last or the least, the Awujale of Ijebuland.’’

Although, the paramount ruler was said to be unavailable to clear some issues relating to his claim, his aide disclosed that the monarch had sent an evidence to support his claim through his private secretary who was not available as at the time of filing this report.
Meanwhile, the Awujale and Paramount ruler of Ijebuland, Oba Sikiru Adetona could not be reached as his Personal Assistant, simply identified as Toyin requested for a letter of interview before Awujale before he could talk to the press.
The Awujale aide said the monarch was ready to speak with media provided that a letter of request for interview is sent to him.

Ooni not in supremacy battle with anyone

Meantime, as the controversy over the ranking of traditional rulers in Yorubaland continued yesterday as the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi said he would not want to be drawn into supremacy battle with any traditional ruler in the country.
Oba Ogunwusi reiterated his desire for a more united Yoruba race and peaceful Nigeria.
The Esogban of Benin and Odionwere of the kingdom (Traditional Head), Chief David Edebiri had on Monday said the Alake of Egba land, Oba Adedotun Gbadebo goofed when he said the Oba of Benin was third in the hierarchy of Obas.
He explained that the Ooni of Ife was a son of the Oba of Benin, adding that the stool of the Oba of Benin could not be compared with that of any Yoruba king.
But when contacted to comment on the statement credited to the palace of Oba of Benin, the Director of Media and Public Affairs, Ooni’s Palace Moses Olafare said the only thing that was paramount to Ooni Adeyeye Ogunwusi now remains the need to foster unity and healthy development among the Yorubas and the entire nation.

His words: “Let me emphasize for the umpteen time that kabiyesi Ooni is less concerned over any supremacy hullabaloo, he’s only interest for now on the sacred throne of Oduduwa is to explore measures through which the collective interest and genuine unity among Yoruba and other tribes within the larger House of Oduduwa can be enhanced.

“This informed his resolve to build bridges of harmony among Yourba Obas. I am resolutely committed to how Yoruba ethnic group can restore its glory and pride position among other ethnic inclinations in Nigeria and don’t want to be dragged into supremacy contest or join issues with anybody.”
cc:lalasticlala
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/yoruba-obas-i-stand-by-my-ranking-alake/
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by emamos: 7:35am On Feb 10, 2016
.Ooni should be very careful with all dis political kings, otherwise they wil jeopadiz his peaceful gestures n drag his name thru d mud

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by babyfaceafrica: 7:48am On Feb 10, 2016
Okay...nice one ooni
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Mologi(m): 8:12am On Feb 10, 2016
Alake Oya dab!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by EastanPower(m): 10:26am On Feb 10, 2016
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by clefstone(m): 10:26am On Feb 10, 2016
No yoruba monarchy can match the history of the Benin monarchy. The facts are there

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by EastanPower(m): 10:26am On Feb 10, 2016
Mulattoclaro, Spanishkid grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Nobody: 10:27am On Feb 10, 2016
We need photo, literature and film evidence grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by jeje123(m): 10:27am On Feb 10, 2016
Alake 1 I trust you

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Brymo: 10:27am On Feb 10, 2016
kabiyesi
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by kennyman2000(m): 10:28am On Feb 10, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Warldbest(m): 10:28am On Feb 10, 2016
All this longer throat obas that can betray u once there is money,

11 Likes

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by waterhouse071(m): 10:29am On Feb 10, 2016
I just like the Ooni

9 Likes

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Nobody: 10:30am On Feb 10, 2016
What the Bini hinge their argument on is simply the rendition of names.

We need to remind them that names such as Oduduwa and Oranmiyan were nicknames and not actual names.

Oduduwa is a fusion of Odu to da Iwa. The vessel that brought creation/existence. The 'oduduwa' ife king, got called the name because he was the vessel through which Ife confederacy was ended.

Oduduwa is in no way Izoduwa or whatever con you folks come up with. The actual Oduduwa was in Ife's creation history and the name was extended to the human king who ushered in a new era of political unification in Ife.

I'm sure the Bini believe Oranmiyan which they changed to 'Omonayan' was his actual name rather than Odede which as the actual name.

Please and please, Bini folks need to do a proper research of Yoruba words before twisting it to fit into their poor revisionism.

I read somewhere that Ekhalederhen stopped over at Owo? Owo didn't even come into existence until after Oduduwa's period as king in Ife.

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Nobody: 10:30am On Feb 10, 2016
Oodua a gbe wa o

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by GMan650(m): 10:30am On Feb 10, 2016
Mologi:
Alake Oya dab!!!!!

Oya dab

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by wilcox(m): 10:31am On Feb 10, 2016
Na who "oba" help?[color=#006600][/color]

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Nwaoguta(m): 10:31am On Feb 10, 2016
Oba of benin is like a father to ooni of ife,Quote me anywhere.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by mascot87(m): 10:31am On Feb 10, 2016
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by proxillin(m): 10:32am On Feb 10, 2016
[size=14pt]He is right. Gbam. One of our sons went to Benin to become king. Oba is a Yoruba word. [/size]

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Nobody: 10:32am On Feb 10, 2016
Oh. So who is telling the truth now?
Anyway, i already believe that the illitrates of th 21st century will not be those who can't read and write. It will be those who cant differentiate lies from all we have been told. Abeg... Evidence to prove your clain sir. Bikko

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by EastanPower(m): 10:32am On Feb 10, 2016
clefstone:
No yoruba monarchy can match the history of the Benin monarchy. The facts are there

“Ooni is one of the five principal Obas in Yorubaland. The others are in order of the way they are classified on supremacy basis. After the Ooni is the Alaafin. After the Alaafin, the Oba of Benin. After the Oba of Benin, it comes to the Alake of Egbaland and the fifth and by no means the last or the least, the Awujale of Ijebuland.’’ grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by laurel03(m): 10:32am On Feb 10, 2016
Alaafin of Oyo is #Num 1 quote me anywhere... Awujale of ijebu no even dey yoruba history ... Ijebu migrated from Sudan (Obanta)

10 Likes

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 10, 2016
HateU2:
Oodua a gbe wa o
undecided

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Okijajuju1(m): 10:34am On Feb 10, 2016
ok
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Jacko1(m): 10:35am On Feb 10, 2016
Me i dont know oh.... Historians in nairaland come give us epistle na
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by oppybouy(m): 10:37am On Feb 10, 2016
Make dem shift jare. Everybody na king for him own Lane.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Zico5(m): 10:37am On Feb 10, 2016
We yoruba have history and we understand it very much. Ooni needs not to drag this too much cos yoruba proverb says " eni ti a ba laba ni baba". Those fighting for supremacy know the history, they just want to be relevant by all means which is bad for the peaceful co-existence of yorubaland. Ile-ife as the origin of yoruba will forever remain the number one in ranking of oba and we all know that. Thank God for the likes of Alake of Egbaland that put the story straight. Its well.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by miqos02(m): 10:38am On Feb 10, 2016
ok
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 10, 2016
STFUareyouGod:
undecided
undecided undecided
Kilode Mr Morufu undecided.
Ayam talking to my fellow original yoruba goons not fake lipsrsealed

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Artificial Rain Making: How Is It Done? / Arochukwu (in Pictures) / No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.