Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,082 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:55 AM

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? (27436 Views)

Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know / Happy Ash Wednesday / Happy Ash Wednesday. What Are Your Plans This Lent Period?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Coldfeets: 5:51pm On Feb 10, 2016
Mpanyi:
Keep asking? I am sure you will ask one day 'why are we not allowed to have sex as we like and under any condition?' That is if you also don't ask why we obey laws.

Typical response of a mindless minion.

You don't know. You don't want to know. Shh... my friend, stop asking. Just follow your leader and do what others are doing.

And the brainwashing continues...

“What luck for the rulers that men do not think” - Adolf Hitler (German Chancellor)
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by emmyw(m): 6:02pm On Feb 10, 2016
shoyemiayodeji:

Jesus said specifically himself take and eat this is my flesh....what are u now saying? This is my body I give it unto you take it and eat it each time you do remember me!!!!!!
Bro please read my comment again before quoting me. Thanks.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by dukeo(m): 6:06pm On Feb 10, 2016
PoliticalThuG:
Please enlighten me. I wanna know the reason. Is it really a sin eating meat during lent?

If you are a catholic thinking like this, go back for katkizim( no offence here because som yrs bck i was like u and katkizim dd d job). Eat if you want to , its not a sin
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by niceman24(m): 6:13pm On Feb 10, 2016
In europe meat was a commoness thing everybody can eat unlike in africa or any other part of d world when d commomoration of lent season started in past centuries ago, d church made it compulsory for believers ie christians nt to eat meat as a penance for dem especial on ash wednesday n good friday since it was what ppl eat everyday, except u r very sick n doctor prescribed dat must take meat everyday. Catholic have tradition n history unlike mushroom churches dis days

2 Likes

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by IkehAda: 6:33pm On Feb 10, 2016
Hello my fellow Christian.....the meat we don't eat on dis everydays is to abstain from the flesh.Plz nobody is been brained wash or don't know their chirst faith.........

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by irynterri(f): 6:35pm On Feb 10, 2016
@politicalThug..in the days of the early church the meat was to the Romans what bread is to the Jews..the Romans can not do without eating meat,they loved it,abstaining from it was then introduced as a mark of sacrifice..it is just like telling kids not to watch t.v for one day or for to not to visit nairaland for a day for the sake of Christ..hope u understand my illustrations

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 6:37pm On Feb 10, 2016
pek:
you ended up not answering the question. In your wisdom, you chose not to because you don't have an answer. If all Catholic teachings have their root in the Bible, relate it to the topic under discussion. Also, marry Catholic teachings with this; Matthew 6: 16-18.
The giving up of meat is a discipline meant to remind us of Christ's suffering and death on the cross for us. It is not an issue of biblical theology, but more of an important observance to help bring about a contrite heart in us. (almost every human loves eating meat, so staying away from it on ash Wednesday is a form of abstainance)

as for the bible passage above, thats part of the exact gospel reading today!! (on which d priest preached and warned people seriously) so I guess we're on the same page then.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Feb 10, 2016
emmyw:
The reason why Catholics not being allowed to eat meat on Fridays during Lent is to remind the faithful that Jesus died on a Friday. Jesus gave up His body (His flesh), and Catholics, in an effort to attain greater communion with Christ, refrain from consuming flesh.
please.can you give me the bible verse so I can. read and follow thanks

2 Likes

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by henryutd(m): 6:44pm On Feb 10, 2016
That is the tradition of men. Commandments of men and not of God.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Menzy86(m): 6:46pm On Feb 10, 2016
PoliticalThuG:
the real reason we forbid meat this day is what i dnt get
It is just a way of mortification. Just d way you are adviced to abstain from sin and vices at this time. It is church tradition.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by henryutd(m): 6:47pm On Feb 10, 2016
dukeo:

If you are a catholic thinking like this, go back for katkizim( no offence here because som yrs bck i was like u and katkizim dd d job). Eat if you want to , its not a sin

I think Bible will do the job better.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by ololooo: 7:11pm On Feb 10, 2016
emmyw:
The reason why Catholics not being allowed to eat meat on Fridays during Lent is to remind the faithful that Jesus died on a Friday. Jesus gave up His body (His flesh), and Catholics, in an effort to attain greater communion with Christ, refrain from consuming flesh.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by stzy(m): 7:53pm On Feb 10, 2016
Speechless3:
You are the kid undecided

Op, i eat meat and ive not sinned.

Still a catholic but the bible is now my guide for spiritual matters.
if. Bible is ur guide it shuld av thought u that obidience is better than sacrifice n that Obidience is a result of humility n u get 2 ask urself y did God reject saul n loved. David
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by charlsecy(m): 7:56pm On Feb 10, 2016
emmyw:
That is just a ritual.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Mpanyi: 8:37pm On Feb 10, 2016
Coldfeets:

Typical response of a mindless minion.

You don't know. You don't want to know. Shh... my friend, stop asking. Just follow your leader and do what others are doing.

And the brainwashing continues...

“What luck for the rulers that men do not think” - Adolf Hitler (German Chancellor)

Such a great mind you've got! Hope you're now okay.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by pek(m): 8:40pm On Feb 10, 2016
julioralph:

The giving up of meat is a discipline meant to remind us of Christ's suffering and death on the cross for us. It is not an issue of biblical theology, but more of an important observance to help bring about a contrite heart in us. (almost every human loves eating meat, so staying away from it on ash Wednesday is a form of abstainance)

So, not eating of meat on a particular day draws us to God? What happened on the last supper? Let me remind you. Jesus broke the bread and give them to eat saying: this is my body....
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 8:55pm On Feb 10, 2016
pek:
So, not eating of meat on a particular day draws us to God? What happened on the last supper? Let me remind you. Jesus broke the bread and give them to eat saying: this is my body....

shuo shocked shocked shocked na wa for you ooo.

you keep quoting the bible out of context.

now tell me, do u fast or not and does it bring u closer to God or not

even prayer, alms giving and abstinence (the other parts of lent) brings us closer to God.

2ndly about the last supper u mentioned, do you pentecostals truly believe that the holy communion u guys receive in ur church is the body of christ because we Catholics do.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by phrankchek(m): 9:00pm On Feb 10, 2016
henryutd:

I think Bible will do the job better.

The bible that you and your likes read upside down

your response is just like someone telling you to go school and learn from a teacher that will explain things better for you to understand
And you say "no the textbook will do the job better"
[/size][size=8pt]
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Jaraworldsms(m): 9:13pm On Feb 10, 2016
It is not a sin to eat meat during lent season. It is not recorded in the Bible

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by PoliticalThuG(m): 9:24pm On Feb 10, 2016
irynterri:
@politicalThug..in the days of the early church the meat was to the Romans what bread is to the Jews..the Romans can not do without eating meat,they loved it,abstaining from it was then introduced as a mark of sacrifice..it is just like telling kids not to watch t.v for one day or for to not to visit nairaland for a day for the sake of Christ..hope u understand my illustrations
very clear and crystal.. Thanks
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Feb 10, 2016
[quote author=nworanco post=42799215]
God will judge those that judges people.[/quopte]

People like you
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Feb 10, 2016
darkenedrebel:

The Canon law and the bible were both written by mortals. Why can't I reference Canon 1250? Is the Bible infallible?

The Bible as a book is not infallible but the words of God contained therein are!
Your cannon were written by men based on their personal ideologies and not by the leading of God.
Your cannon has been edited and changed numerous times as proof of its weakness and ineffectual nature but the word of God stands tested and true.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 10, 2016
julioralph:

as for the bible passage above, thats part of the exact gospel reading today!! (on which d priest preached and warned people seriously) so I guess we're on the same page then.

So abstaining from meat would remind you of Christs suffering? I need to see that your meat that would achieve that feat.
Meanwhile I never knew that any true worshipper of God would ever forget the death of Christ not to mention his resurrection.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by pek(m): 10:01pm On Feb 10, 2016
julioralph:

shuo shocked shocked shocked na wa for you ooo.

you keep quoting the bible out of context.

now tell me, do u fast or not and does it bring u closer to God or not

even prayer, alms giving and abstinence (the other parts of lent) brings us closer to God.

2ndly about the last supper u mentioned, do you pentecostals truly believe that the holy communion u guys receive in ur church is the body of christ because we Catholics do.
If only you read your Bible and not what you are told, we won't be having this argument.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 10:24pm On Feb 10, 2016
pek:
If only you read your Bible and not what you are told, we won't be having this argument.
Oga I do read my bible.
btw u didnt ans any of my ques
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by julioralph(m): 10:26pm On Feb 10, 2016
naijadeyhia2:

So abstaining from meat would remind you of Christs suffering? I need to see that your meat that would achieve that feat.
Meanwhile I never knew that any true worshipper of God would ever forget the death of Christ not to mention his resurrection.
you might want to look up the meaning of abstinence.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by chrish2i: 11:26pm On Feb 10, 2016
let me try to share some light in regards to the above....
So, what you’re asking about is the Church’s regulation with regard to abstinence. (No, not that kind of abstinence). This kind of abstinence refers to the rule binding all Catholics 14 years old until death to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and all the Fridays of Lent. There are always exceptions for people who are ill, who need the nourishment that comes from meat, or those who would give offense to a host who unknowingly served meat on one of these days. The “why Friday?” question is pretty obvious: it is one way we commemorate the Passion and death of Our Savior Jesus Christ. But the question of “why meat?” seems to come up again and again. There are documents that indicate that meat was singled out as being a food Christians occasionally abstained from since the first century. This has nothing to do with the Catholic Church “requiring abstinence from foods” that St. Paul talks about in his letter to Timothy (1 Timothy 4:3). In that letter, St. Paul is referring to the practice of maintaining Jewish dietary laws. The foods prohibited by God in the Old Testament were declared “unclean” and this is why they were forbidden. The Catholic Church’s practice of occasionally not eating meat has nothing to do with this perspective. It is precisely because meat is so good that we are asked to give it up at certain times. It wouldn’t make a whole heck of a lot of sense if we offered something we considered bad as a sacrifice to God. More to the point, meat was singled out because it is associated with celebrations and feasts. I understand that there has been a slight cultural shift in the last number of years with more and more people eating a more vegetarian diet, but most of us still base the food we eat during celebrations around a meat entrée (Thanksgiving turkey, Easter ham, Fourth of July brat, burger and a steak). A day devoted to remembering Christ’s Passion doesn’t seem like a day to feast. Interestingly enough, the day we celebrate the Resurrection is a day for feasting (and we get one of those every single week: Sunday). On top of all of that, meat has often been a luxury in many cultures. People didn’t always have a McDonald’s Dollar Menu, and meat cost a bit more. Maintaining a spirit of simplicity, people turned to other, less expensive fare. But what’s included when we are asked to abstain from meat? Well, throughout the 2,000 year history of the Church, there have been varying definitions over what exactly constitutes abstinence from meat. In some regions of the world, Catholics abstained from all forms of meat and all animal products, while others made exceptions for food like fish. The brilliant thing in all of this is that this is simply a discipline of the Church. It can change. And it has changed. In a 1966 document, “Apostolic Constitution on Penance”, Pope Paul VI reorganized and clarified the Church’s practice. He determined that abstinence forbids the use of meat, but not of eggs, milk products or condiments made of animal fat. Moral theologians have taken varying sides on this, but it seems that gravies, broths, and soups cooked or flavored with meat are permissible. It would seem a bit “off” to me to take this so far as to serve beef barley soup at the Lenten Soup Suppers, but one rule of thumb could be “if you can drink it through a straw, you’ve got nothing to worry about”. (You may be completely missing the point as you sip on your pepperoni milkshake, but I guess that’s why we have a distinction between the spirit and the letter of the law.)
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by sayitright: 11:43pm On Feb 10, 2016
yeye confused people... Instead make ona fast ona say nah meat b ona problem.... Ash Wednesday!!!! how many of u prayed today? How many of you denied your life for God just for today? Is just meat that u can use to cover up... shame.

Some Christians has been fasting 6-6 since d beginning of February.

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by pek(m): 11:57pm On Feb 10, 2016
julioralph:

Oga I do read my bible.
btw u didnt ans any of my ques
Do you? You are the one that haven't answered my question. I repeat , what is biblical basis for not eating meat on a particular day? References to the Bible please.
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by dsylvo(m): 4:26am On Feb 11, 2016
emmyw:

hmm. ..... so what's d communion they take all about??
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by Mcowubaba: 6:18am On Feb 11, 2016
julioralph:

its highly advised to abstain from it today.

good to see ure still a catholic. and all catholic teachings have their origins in the bible

Not all oooo shocked
Re: Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? by olumike75: 7:05am On Feb 11, 2016
dats religion bro..don't take it personal... even lent sef..he get as he be sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Christian Association Protests Against Killings Of Christians By Fulani Herdsmen / Canada Wonderland Park- Nairalander Experience: Pictures & Video / Is Wet Dream A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.