Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,008 members, 7,806,933 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi (70711 Views)

Tope Adesegun And Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi Set To Wed / Davood Roostaei Draws Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi's Portrait In USA (Pics) / Cultural Ceremony To Crown The Pere Of Tarakiri Kingdom In Bayelsa (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oyebode95(m): 11:15am On Feb 11, 2016
Born2Breed:

These are Myths and Folklore's. These was never Sango or whatever.

Btw is it not the same Ooni that goes kneeling before Tinubu and Obasanjo to be nominated and installed as ooni. He should read his history books if his father did not.
Sango was one of the Alafins dt ruled OYO .....so there ws sango. Pls b mindful of wt u say!
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 11:16am On Feb 11, 2016
pulsa:

he was our progenitor, our father, where he came from was irrelevant what you are trying to infer is like me telling Europeans they are Africans because they came from Africa.
guy is very relevant, ur first king is a bini man thus when bini people call him back and he refuse to come theryby sending his son to rule, so far this story is true Oba of Benin is the strongest, prove me wrong am listening.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oluwasegun007(m): 11:18am On Feb 11, 2016
te;; them my king, when dem no go read history book.....da beef just get beefed up.

oba of benin oye your response.....
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by pulsa(m): 11:18am On Feb 11, 2016
brownlord:

So you mean, prior to oduduwa descending from heaven the entire Yoruba race had no king/ruler?
we had but they were disparate and numerous ruling over numerous minute territories (town) but he united them all, and that is while till today there are numerous Yoruba kings heading numerous towns in the southwest.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 11:18am On Feb 11, 2016
Once you take Yoruba Orishas (olokun, Ogun, Esu, Shango et al) out of Bini - Bini becomes irrelevant.

Even ya artworks would become irrelevant cos most of ya artworks were dedicated to Yoruba orishas.

Learn to respect those who paved the way for ya small kingdom that became overrated due to fables and artworks.

Stop getting too tall for ya height. If not for Ilajes - you won't even have ya tiny camp in Eko. And it seems that's what makes you lot lousy for no reason whatsoever. Why didn't you fight your way from Bini all the way to Eko by conquering all the Yoruba subgroups between Eko and Bini? Why did you jump over all of them to get to Eko?

4 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ranksz: 11:21am On Feb 11, 2016
Lemon12:
sharrap

Obi of onitsha and Asagba of Asaba are under nobody ..

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin You no want make dem colonize your chiefs join? cos i don't see The Obi or asagba as Kings anyway.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by uncjay(m): 11:22am On Feb 11, 2016
This is arrant nonsense, I have always say this that, the yoruba nation is better off without other ethnic groups. It pains me to see some yoruba folks trying to force their race on others. These people have their own mouth, let them decide who to be with or without. There s no point trying to write others history for them. And if historically we have somewhat relationship or related to these, people, well thats past and humans have changed and moved on, on their distinction.

It is ridiculous to say edo, itsekiri, and others are part of yoruba when they don't acknowledge such heresies..in fact, going by language and cultural values, they happened to be completely different from yoruba why then will anyone keep forcing them. To me, it is a dogmatic and primitive system of thought, it is like, these people propel the yoruba essence and without them the yoruba national is worthless..

Please, let the obas distance themselves from any other ethnic group and focus on the rulership of yoruba nation. Well they can contribute to national matters as it affect Us all. Else imaging someone bragging to teach you history, because in his deranged mind, you are unlearn. Imaging the insult. We should stop looking down on ourselves while giving unnecessary advantages to some quak folks to denigrate the uniqueness of yoruba nation and people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by pulsa(m): 11:24am On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

guy is very relevant, ur first king is a bini man thus when bini people call him back and he refuse to come theryby sending his son to rule, so far this story is true Oba of Benin is the strongest, prove me wrong am listening.
the moment he was banished he stopped being a Benin man and the moment the Yoruba's accepted him he started being a Yoruba man, very similar to the Anglo Saxons who rule the celts in united kingdom that is the British royal family who are Germanic and their British subjects who are Celts,Scottish,Wales and Irish, but that does not mean united kingdom is ruled by Germany or Germans for they are British by all accord having lived there also for centuries like oduduwas kins have.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Lstar4real(m): 11:24am On Feb 11, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
d angle d Ooni take make him a wiseman, because d bone of contention is oduduwa- who owns oduduwa, is itGod that sent oduduwa or is a benin price, throughtout history God never sent any man from d sky, even my jesus was not sent from d sky, adam was not sent from d sky, so it was d injustice done to oduduwa that make d benin throne to be vacant which need d rightful owner to take back d throne he was ealier deny, so in ur right view, can't u see oduduwa is a benin prince?
Mr if u claim oduduwa didn't come from heaven which mean the King ruling benin also came from somewhere that's not Benin...All I know was d old Ooni of Ife sent his Prince To became King in Benin which is d only family that has title to be King.. ...Oba is a general language using to call all Kings in Yoruba Land.....

edited. ...The old Ooni have 7 sons. ..and they all sent to diffenrt lands...any one that took over the sit of Ife is practical ahead of all Kings in Yorubaland including Benin no matter his age........
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by yaso(m): 11:24am On Feb 11, 2016
Banza....una one come collect our kingdom abi? Dem no tell una wetin we do the Portuguese and the English Men abi......
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Idrismusty97(m): 11:25am On Feb 11, 2016
Born2Breed:

These are Myths and Folklore's. These was never Sango or whatever.

Btw is it not the same Ooni that goes kneeling before Tinubu and Obasanjo to be nominated and installed as ooni. He should read his history books if his father did not.
Just like they was never a Jesus or Allah.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 11:25am On Feb 11, 2016
If Oba is a Yoruba word for King

what will be the meaning of "KABIYESI"
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by profmallory(m): 11:26am On Feb 11, 2016
The Oba of Benin's title has "Omo n'Oba" in its name. From what I learnt that means son of the King. The last time we checked, omo is a yoruba word for son, or was omo also coined from Benin?. I am not sure of who came first, but one thing for certain is that Benin by history has ties to Yoruba kingdom.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by kingviny: 11:27am On Feb 11, 2016
shinel:
Oba of Benin spokeman is a confused man...

'oni of Ife is a son of Oba of Benin' And we are not Yoruba race. What a confusing statement! We need clarity pls...

If Jacob is the founder of Isreal does it mean Isaac his father or Abraham his grand father are both citizens of a later kingdom (Isreal) founded by their offspring?
the spokesman is not confused but all the same, all these tupsy turvy are not called for. We should live in the present and support our President to conquer corruption in our dear country.

To resolve this imbroglio anyways, let them make use of technology (carbon dating) on the artifacts in both kingdoms to determine which one preceeds the other. They can also make use of an independent oracle / clairvoyant consultant to look into the akashic records of kingdoms to determine the same thing. If both findings give the same result, then this matter should be rested. Talks is not the answer.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by brownlord: 11:30am On Feb 11, 2016
pulsa:

the moment he was banished he stopped being a Benin man and the moment the Yoruba's accepted him he started being a Yoruba man, very similar to the Anglo Saxons who rule the celts in united kingdom that is the British royal family who are Germanic and their British subjects who are Celts,Scottish,Wales and Irish, but that does not mean united kingdom is ruled by Germany or Germans for they are British by all accord having lived there also for centuries like oduduwas kins have.

Seems we heading somewhere, so you now believe Ododuwa didn't fall from sky?

Can you please go explain this to the alake of egbaland and further educate your kinsmen?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 11:31am On Feb 11, 2016
pulsa:

Which kind stop being a benin man, if he stop being a benin man why did he send his son?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by chronique(m): 11:35am On Feb 11, 2016
The Edos are not a part and parcel of the Yorubas. We do not speak same languages and do not have the same cultures. The ijaws,the urhobos,the istekiris and the likes,have languages and cultures that are closer to what we have in Edo. These people,are actually part and parcel of the Edos,and were a part of the old Bendel state. When we were still referred to as Bendel state,I never for once heard anyone say we are part and parcel of the Yorubas. Infact,the yoruba used to refer to us as Ibos. How did they suddenly realize that we are a part of them? All these commercial Obas in yoruba lands should just respect themselves and stay in their lane. Yes,my mother is a yoruba woman and I have no problem with that. I'd accept the honest truth that I'm partly yoruba and I have no problem with that cos my mum is a fantastic yoruba woman. But my father is from Edo state and in Edo state,we are not yorubas by tribe. Nobody shoud tell us we are what we are not.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Elxandre(m): 11:36am On Feb 11, 2016
martineinstein:
yeah.Dem block me.i decided to open another
When you too like trouble sef cheesy

Your DP doesn't look like who I saw on whatsapp, what's happening here
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 11, 2016
Every ethnic group is preparing just in case Biafra succeeds so they don't claim Benin as been part of Delta state ha ha ha ha the fear of Biafra is the beginning of wisdom
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 11, 2016
teehay45:
9ice response from the Ooni of ife

“Let me emphasize for the umpteenth time that Kabiyesi Ooni is less concerned over any supremacy hullabaloo. He is only interested for now in how the sacred throne of Oduduwa can explore measures through which the collective interest and genuine unity among Yoruba and other tribes within the larger House of Oduduwa can be enhanced.

let the benin's continue to rewrite history. continu!!!

Don't mind these Bini fools. Some even said the Oba of Bini will use some voodoo on Ooni of Ife - hysterical. How are you going to use the orishas you borrowed against the original custodian of the orishas? grin If and when the Ooni visits what's left of the relics of the small ancient kingdom that later became overrated due to fables - the Oba of Bini has to bow down to his progenitor.

Everything about bini was borrowed from Yorubas. They borrowed the Oba dynasty. Borrowed Yoruba orishas. Borrowed knowledge of artworks from Yorubas. Borrowed idea of building moats from Ijebus etc.. They borrowed almost everything, yet they make noise everywhere.

3 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by pulsa(m): 11:37am On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

Which kind stop being a benin man, if he stop being a benin man why did he send his son?
cause he took pity on them because of the prophecy he was told of the doom and tragedy about to befall them if he or his kin did not rule benin.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Chibuzoc(m): 11:38am On Feb 11, 2016
Chai see small pikin lie..... Oduduwa fell from the sky lol, he no break him hand or leg? You people can lie
Odudwa fell from the sky. No wonder

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Jesusloveyou: 11:38am On Feb 11, 2016
pulsa:

check out the "Oyo empire" before spewing your ignorance.
oyo empire but not yoruba empire, or did oyo empire extend to benin empire? Moreove is oyo empire d same as ile ife empire? As Ooni of ife said his kingdom extend to benin empire

2 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 11, 2016
Echidimeh:
Every ethnic group is preparing just in case Biafra succeeds so they don't claim Benin as been part of Delta state ha ha ha ha the fear of Biafra is the beginning of wisdom
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Lstar4real(m): 11:39am On Feb 11, 2016
jeffucee10:
If Oba is a Yoruba word for King

what will be the meaning of "KABIYESI"
what about ALAYELUWA....These are powerful name that qualified Oba for being Number 1 Citizen in a Kingdom.....Come to think of Jagaban was it Tinubu name? Mehn get your fact right
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by pulsa(m): 11:39am On Feb 11, 2016
YoruBadGoon:

Don't mind these Bini fools. Some even said the Oba of Bini will use some voodoo on Ooni of Ife - hysterical. How are you going to use the orishas you borrowed against the original custodian of the orishas? grin If and when the Ooni visits what's left of the relics of the small ancient kingdom that later became overrated due to fables - the Oba of Bini has to bow down to his progenitor.

Everything about bini was borrowed from Yorubas. They borrowed the Oba dynasty. Borrowed Yoruba orishas. Borrowed knowledge of artworks from Yorubas. Borrowed idea of building moats from Ijebus etc.. They borrowed almost everything, yet they make noise everywhere.
very correct
omo "odu-to-da-iwa" ni mi cool

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by akinlolumichael(m): 11:39am On Feb 11, 2016
if you said ooni is the son of Benin, then who is oduduwa?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 11:40am On Feb 11, 2016
pulsa:

cause he took pity on them because of the prophecy he was told of the doom and tragedy about to befall them if he or his kin did not rule benin.

hahahahaha, you are twisting it bro, your first king is a bini, it doesnt matter wether he was banish or not, so far was he born in bini and he has the blood of bini he remain one of us, case close.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 11:41am On Feb 11, 2016
akinlolumichael:
if you said ooni is the son of Benin, then who is oduduwa?

oduduwa was a barnish prince from benin.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by pulsa(m): 11:41am On Feb 11, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
oyo empire but not yoruba empire, or did oyo empire extend to benin empire? Moreove is oyo empire d same as ile ife empire? As Ooni of ife said his kingdom extend to benin empire
Oyo empire is the name for the Yoruba empire where every Yoruba kingdom relied on the military prowess of the alafin of Oyo's kingdom, get your facts straight.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 11, 2016
[quote author=Echidimeh post=42824000][/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Coronavirus: Umar Farouk, Emir Of Daura Rushed To Intensive Care Unit / Adedamola Aderemi, Late Ooni Of Ife’s Grandson Tipped To Become King (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.