Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,394 members, 7,800,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:00 AM

Tips For Texting With Recruiters - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tips For Texting With Recruiters (257 Views)

Some Suspected Fake Recruiters/ Employers Nigeria; How To Detect Fake Companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tips For Texting With Recruiters by Lextorah: 1:57pm On Feb 10, 2016
When it comes to texting, the best guidelines to follow are to maintain formality and professionalism in all your communications with employers, regardless of the tools you are using to communicate.

Even if the communication is typically construed as casual, like texting is, up it a notch when you're talking to a recruiter or other professional connection.

Candidates should not normally initiate contact with employers through a text message or use text as a medium for their follow up communications after an interview. However, if a recruiter reaches out to you by text then they will expect a text in return.

Here are some guidelines for text communications with recruiters.

Text as if you are composing a typical business communication with someone who you don't know well.
Spell out all your words, no abbreviations (leave your LOL and OMG at home), no acronyms

Avoid emoticons; they are not appropriate for formal communication.

If you have a text "signature" that sends at the bottom of every text message make sure it's work-appropriate.

Do express enthusiasm for opportunities that are offered, you don't need to be a cold fish, just express your interest in a more formal way e.g. I am so pleased that you have reached out to me for an interview, the analyst position with your firm would be an excellent opportunity for me.

Keep your communications short, but don't be afraid to convey some information that will heighten the recruiters interest e.g. The network applications role would be ideal for me since I just completed an advanced Cisco certification.

Be ready for the normal back and forth of a text exchange. You don't have to ask or say it all in your first text.
Carefully review your text before sending for spelling, grammar and unintended auto correction mistakes.

If you would prefer contact by text, consider writing "Text Messages Accepted" next to your cell number on your resume.

Before you hit send, double check that you're sending the message to the right person. When you are carrying on several conversations at once, it's easy to mix them up.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Teradata Online Training / JAMB Official Cut-off Marks 2016/2017 / Another Suicde; A Woman Commit Suicide!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.