Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,172 members, 7,807,548 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber (1026 Views)

NCC Orders MTN, Glo & Airtel & Others To Extend 30-day Data Expiry Period / MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv / Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber by gateleo(m): 7:04pm On Feb 10, 2016
The Consumer Protection Council on Wednesday directed MTN Communications Limited to pay within 14 days the sum of N1.85m to one of the winners of its Ultimate Wonder Promo for lack of due diligence.

The council’s order came on the heels of a complaint brought by Mr. Omeje Fidelis against the telecommunications company alleging that he had been underpaid after he was declared winner of N2m in the said sales promotion, which was held in 2012.

According to Omeje, he participated in the promo and was called through MTN line 180 on October 10, 2012 that he had won N2m in the Ultimate Wonder Promo and that on October 12 of the same year he got a text message informing him of the presentation ceremony fixed for October 19 at the Nicon Luxury Hotel, Abuja.

The complainant had claimed that during the said ceremony, he was presented with a dummy cheque of N2m with his name on it, interviewed and paraded before the media and the world as a winner of the said amount.

He recounted further that he was stunned to receive another call from MTN line 180 on November 2, 2012 that his winning was N150,000 and was thereafter given a Verve ATM card for that amount.

MTN, in its response to the Council’s intervention, denied the claim of Omeje, saying that he was from the on-set informed that his winning was N150,000 and that the complainant deceitfully presented himself when winners in the N2m category were called forward on the day of the prize presentation.

The company had stated further that Omeje’s antics was discovered at the verification of winners, which was done after the ceremony and he was thereafter contacted through its 180 line on his misrepresentation pursuant to which he apologised.

As a result of the development, the CPC in a statement said it demanded for the call data of the communications of the 10th of October 2012 when Omeje was informed of his winnings of N150,000, but MTN failed provide it.

The statement signed by the CPC Spokesman, Mr. Abiodun Obimuyiwa, stated that the company refused and neglected to comply with the request made both in 2012 and 2016.

It said, “The CPC, in its Orders, frowned at the consistent refusal of MTN to provide the call data records evidencing details of communication with the complainant, declaring that in the absence of this material evidence which is solely in the possession of the respondent the CPC must resolve the issue in favour of the complainant.”

“The process of the MTN Ultimate Wonder Promotion whereby the verification exercise was conducted after winners were identified, declared and winnings presented publicly is grossly flawed, lacking in transparency, inequitable and apparently calculated to deceive consumers.”

“The CPC, on the strength of these observations, therefore directed MTN to pay within 14 days of receipt of Order, the sum of N1,850,000 being the unpaid part of the N2m prize won by the complainant in the 2012 MTN Ultimate Wonder Promotion”.

Commenting on the issue, the Council’s Director General, Mrs. Dupe Atoki, reaffirmed the obligation of businesses to desist from promos that are not honest, transparent, equitable and faithful or designed to deceive consumers.

http://www.punchng.com/cpc-orders-mtn-to-pay-n1-85m-to-subscriber/
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber by Nobody: 7:14pm On Feb 10, 2016
Great. No room for corrupt practices regardless of your stand.

1 Like

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber by Sctests: 7:18pm On Feb 10, 2016
Mtn is bleeding though their nose after ripping off Nigerians for years with recklessness. I remember that their fraudulent "win helicopter promo". Criminal 'emptyhen', it's karma time, i guess.
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber by jmichlins(m): 7:43pm On Feb 10, 2016
If mtn should survive this year without declaring bankruptcy then the hand of almighty is upon them
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber by nairaman66(m): 8:52pm On Feb 10, 2016
The money should be more than 2M If NCC calculate the interest rate since 2012.

2 Likes

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber by joey150(m): 8:53pm On Feb 10, 2016
That money is nothing to them..the truth is person chop am b4 e reach d man hand..
Mtn is waxing strong..to d bad belle piple dey aint going broke..why you dey wish dem bad? If you dont like dem buy oda network na.. Nawa oh.

1 Like

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber by iykemoney90(m): 11:15pm On Feb 10, 2016
Mumu mtn na so dey call me one time say I win 20k for who want be a millionaire home play...till today I no see d money. E neva start for una.
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber by wiseone28: 11:20pm On Feb 10, 2016
shocked see gobe....let me look into my diary
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber by Nobody: 11:43pm On Feb 10, 2016
MTN and Nigeria Politicians na the same. Criminals!
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber by MrWhaley: 2:56am On Feb 11, 2016
E don red!! grin

Empty Hen! Una must hear am...that network has done me strong thing. cry
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber by Warlord3000(m): 4:40am On Feb 11, 2016
Quite commendable from CPC... At last customers are now being protected..

Promising someone a house when na underbridge level u sef deh maintain undecided

(1) (Reply)

Complete Lists Of Android Games That Support Gamepad / I Have The iland Genesys Smartphone, Any Questions? / How To Get Free Blackberry 2gb From Mtn And How To Use It On Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.