Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,893 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:09 AM

ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! (4259 Views)

Pope Francis Lamborghini Huracan Sold At Auction For $861575,4x The Retail Price / Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From / V.I.O and FRSC Palava...my personal experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by mishooo(m): 7:21pm On Feb 10, 2016
I intend to repeat my story here so everyone can be aware of my experience and watch out for such companies that defraud Nigerians in the name of car auctioning from Abroad.
Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by mishooo(m): 7:53pm On Feb 10, 2016
I showed interest in a car on SalvageDrive.com last year Sept and was sent an invoice. Immediately they started calling my phone line everyday for me to pay. I was contacted on Phone by 2 of their staffs - Jeniffer and Joseph. I explained the difficulty of paying from Nigeria because of the restriction on dollar by the CBN and asked that they give me all the other alternatives to pay apart from Bank Wire. There was none. I had all the money for the buying and shipping prepared and ready as my client(the car owner) paid for everything.

So i resulted in crediting my friend in the US through his GTBank account. All these while the 2 representatives were following me up (although later, it was only Jeniffer that was calling everyday). I asked for some few days so as to enable my friend complete the withdrawal (as there were limitations to withdrawals in the US), which she obliged and gave me the last day she can wait for. I liaised with my friend and he wired the money to them on the said date.

They promptly updated my online account within 2 weeks and sent a mail that they are doing the final checking et al so it can be shipped promptly. I waited for 4 weeks and then tried calling the numbers they used to call me just to verify, but the numbers were not going through. I went to their site and tried all the numbers but they were not picking up. My friend (who help me transferred the money) in the US tried calling the numbers as well at different intervals but they did not pick up. I sent hundreds of mails and for months no one answered nor replied me. I still kept sending the mails doggedly and my friend suggested we retrieve the money since it was paid through his bank. We set about that but hit a brick wall when the bank representative said they (SalvageDrive.com) declined to return my money. I still have their online receipt on their site but that was all i got. I asked several people of what to do and learnt i cant report them since its a transaction that was carried out privately.

Just mid November, a new agent got across to me and said that Joseph is no more working with the company and he is now taking over his clients. His name was Michael. He promised to help me trace the car. i still kept contacting him and he replies his mails like once in 4 weeks despite sending mails for gentle reminders like 3-4 times a week. He told me early Jan that my car got stuck at the Port and he will need to make investigations as to why it was delayed. he promised to get back to me the following week. That was 3 weeks ago and he hasnt replied my mails since then again. I have sent mails to all the contacts on their sites (i.e info@salvagedrive.com, support@salvageDrive.com, joseph@salvageDrive.com, jennifer@salvagedrive.com, sales@salvagedrive.com, shipping@salvagedrive.com, legal@salvagedrive.com, nigeria@salvagedrive.com etc) but no one responded.

Part of the challenge i have is that they NEVER pick their phones and i am not sure if they are a genuine company as (apart from their sites), i didn't get much info about their activities online. Their address looks even phony. My friend said we may get a lawyer and sue them but I am not sure if that is a good idea.
Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by colossus2: 8:11pm On Feb 10, 2016
Sorry about that man. The person might be in naija sef.

3 Likes

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by mishooo(m): 8:18pm On Feb 10, 2016
colossus2:
Sorry about that man. The person might be in naija sef.

I dont think so. Their site cannot be that huge and they'll be operating from Naija. Besides, they have a Bank of America Account. I don't think they can open one from Nigeria. I stand to be corrected though.

The Bankers (complaint unit of BOA) that did the transfer for my friend said he contacted them (because we tried to get the money back when they were not forth coming) but they refused to return the money. He didnt elaborate on it. I was in a 3-way call with my friend and the bank official.

2 Likes

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by colossus2: 8:47pm On Feb 10, 2016
mishooo:

I dont think so. Their site cannot be that huge and they'll be operating from Naija. Besides, they have a Bank of America Account. I don't think they can open one from Nigeria. I stand to be corrected though.

The Bankers (complaint unit of BOA) that did the transfer for my friend said he contacted them (because we tried to get the money back when they were not forth coming) but they refused to return the money. He didnt elaborate on it. I was in a 3-way call with my friend and the bank official.
Okay.
I once had an experience with one Japanese company 2 years ago. The japanese man kept keeping in touch, they also had someone in lagos.
Long and short of the story is they wanted me to pay for the car which is in japan before they ship it down.
I just blanked them. They still send mails till tomorrow though the japanese clown has stopped calling.
They can't guy a guyman.
There are over a million cars at the various showrooms nationwide, why do we choose not to purchase them but rather decide to ship in more. I am yet to get a genuine answer on this.

9 Likes

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by mayor2013: 8:53pm On Feb 10, 2016
mishooo:
I showed interest in a car on SalvageDrive.com last year Sept and was sent an invoice. Immediately they started calling my phone line everyday for me to pay. I was contacted on Phone by 2 of their staffs - Jeniffer and Joseph. I explained the difficulty of paying from Nigeria because of the restriction on dollar by the CBN and asked that they give me all the other alternatives to pay apart from Bank Wire. There was none. I had all the money for the buying and shipping prepared and ready as my client(the car owner) paid for everything.

So i resulted in crediting my friend in the US through his GTBank account. All these while the 2 representatives were following me up (although later, it was only Jeniffer that was calling everyday). I asked for some few days so as to enable my friend complete the withdrawal (as there were limitations to withdrawals in the US), which she obliged and gave me the last day she can wait for. I liaised with my friend and he wired the money to them on the said date.

They promptly updated my online account within 2 weeks and sent a mail that they are doing the final checking et al so it can be shipped promptly. I waited for 4 weeks and then tried calling the numbers they used to call me just to verify, but the numbers were not going through. I went to their site and tried all the numbers but they were not picking up. My friend (who help me transferred the money) in the US tried calling the numbers as well at different intervals but they did not pick up. I sent hundreds of mails and for months no one answered nor replied me. I still kept sending the mails doggedly and my friend suggested we retrieve the money since it was paid through his bank. We set about that but hit a brick wall when the bank representative said they (SalvageDrive.com) declined to return my money. I still have their online receipt on their site but that was all i got. I asked several people of what to do and learnt i cant report them since its a transaction that was carried out privately.

Just mid November, a new agent got across to me and said that Joseph is no more working with the company and he is now taking over his clients. His name was Michael. He promised to help me trace the car. i still kept contacting him and he replies his mails like once in 4 weeks despite sending mails for gentle reminders like 3-4 times a week. He told me early Jan that my car got stuck at the Port and he will need to make investigations as to why it was delayed. he promised to get back to me the following week. That was 3 weeks ago and he hasnt replied my mails since then again. I have sent mails to all the contacts on their sites (i.e info@salvagedrive.com, support@salvageDrive.com, joseph@salvageDrive.com, jennifer@salvagedrive.com, sales@salvagedrive.com, shipping@salvagedrive.com, legal@salvagedrive.com, nigeria@salvagedrive.com etc) but no one responded.

Part of the challenge i have is that they NEVER pick their phones and i am not sure if they are a genuine company as (apart from their sites), i didn't get much info about their activities online. Their address looks even phony. My friend said we may get a lawyer and sue them but I am not sure if that is a good idea.

My brother you made one hell of a mistake. You wana ask why? Firstly you have someone over there to even help out in wiring the money for the car. Prior to trasnferring the money you should have asked the person to make a proper research about the company before making any payment whatsoever. Without miscing words here I can confidently tell you that the whites are better scammers. A quick one here I had a client who paid for a clean Audi Q7 2010 only for the car to get down to Nigeria having serious impacts, with so many issues. The car pixwas shown to him. A lesson well learnt. As to getting a refund its a tough one though. Cos at the end if the money was gonna be wired back to you. There would be a loss because you can't get that same amount back as a result of bank foreign exchange(official rate)197and you sent at the rate of 305 naira. You might be lucky though

6 Likes

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by Emperoh(m): 10:02pm On Feb 10, 2016
Dear Poster,

I have a hunch, you have fallen for fraud. Why?
If auction goes beyond IAAI, Copart, Adesa, Manheim and its affiliates, please stay away from them!
Salvage Drive is a fraud.

You apparently saw a cheaply priced car and fell for it. You are better off, sealing a deal on craiglist then Salvage Drive.
If you have details of these persons you have dealt with, you might want to consider taking this up with law enforcement agents.

Sorry about your misfortune.

3 Likes

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by lonelydora: 8:12am On Feb 11, 2016
Your friend in US should have checked out the company and car for you before paying. Well, I pray you get your money back.

Even in Naija, aboki must cut "tasting" for suya before you pay. Why make that mistake? You think fraudsters are only in Naija?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by mishooo(m): 8:26am On Feb 11, 2016
lonelydora:
Your friend in US should have checked out the company and car for you before paying. Well, I pray you get your money back.
Even in Naija, aboki must cut "tasting" for suya before you pay. Why make that mistake? You think fraudsters are only in Naija?

Hindsight is 20/20 but I hope its not too late to get my money back now.

1 Like

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by mishooo(m): 8:03pm On Feb 15, 2016
Emperoh:
Dear Poster,
I have a hunch, you have fallen for fraud. Why?
If auction goes beyond IAAI, Copart, Adesa, Manheim and its affiliates, please stay away from them!
Salvage Drive is a fraud.
You apparently saw a cheaply priced car and fell for it. You are better off, sealing a deal on craiglist then Salvage Drive.
If you have details of these persons you have dealt with, you might want to consider taking this up with law enforcement agents.
Sorry about your misfortune.

Doing business online shouldn't be so scary in this age and time as every IP address can be traced. If only i can get a reliable body to report them to.

1 Like

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by mishooo(m): 3:04pm On Feb 19, 2016
All i want is for them to be stopped and i want my money back.
Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by blissgoddy(m): 5:39pm On Feb 19, 2016
i bought a car (2003 Toyota Camry) through Salvage Drive last yr January. i don't think Salvage Drive is a fraudulent company. Ur situation may be a case of biz gone bad. however, u can sue them for damages since u have a friend in the US that can help u with that. i think u need to be compensated.

1 Like

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by skj1377(m): 10:19pm On Feb 20, 2016
mishooo:

sorry for your loss next time try iaai or copart I have bought several cars without issues what you see is what you get. Secondly a shipping company or agent is supposed to be independent of the auction company I guess their licences are different am not sure if both can be combined. Finally, psychologically be sceptical of any person that keeps calling you to send money from experience they are frauds don't fall for it. Keep trying to get your money back you might get lucky.

2 Likes

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by mishooo(m): 6:19pm On Feb 22, 2016
blissgoddy:
i bought a car (2003 Toyota Camry) through Salvage Drive last yr January. i don't think Salvage Drive is a fraudulent company. Ur situation may be a case of biz gone bad. however, u can sue them for damages since u have a friend in the US that can help u with that. i think u need to be compensated.

As much as your transaction was successful, i think you were lucky. were you able to communicate with any of their sales person as they NEVER pick up their phones ( emphasis on never as i have left countless voice messages)? They don't reply mails except when they are chasing you for your hard earned money.

I will be grateful if you can give me a valid communication line with any of their ghost workers. i have done linkedln search and google search for all the people that used to call me, their names existed in the early 1900s (am serious about this!).
Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by blissgoddy(m): 3:54pm On Feb 23, 2016
Salvage Drive contact person that i spoke with on phone during my dealing with them was Nona her number is +19177710675. i don't know whether she is till with Salvage drive at present because my transaction was a year ago. Nonetheless, you can cal the number.
Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by mishooo(m): 7:43pm On Feb 23, 2016
blissgoddy:
Salvage Drive contact person that i spoke with on phone during my dealing with them was Nona her number is +19177710675. i don't know whether she is till with Salvage drive at present because my transaction was a year ago. Nonetheless, you can cal the number.
Yeah. i know nonna. she had contacted me before. I called her but she doesn't work there anymore.

1 Like

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by laptopsale(m): 12:08pm On Feb 24, 2016
Not again, another sad preorder story.
Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by mishooo(m): 6:28pm On Mar 01, 2016
laptopsale:
Not again, another sad preorder story.

Yes oooo, only that the transaction did not originate from NL

1 Like

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by mishooo(m): 12:50pm On Mar 10, 2016
embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by danwakili: 11:49pm On May 11, 2016
Hello
Mishooo
We have thesame experience is just that mine is severe than your. My order is of 6 cars worth$45,000 they were able to refund only 12k and now I cant find them pls contact me on 08039739780 . Thank you

mishooo:
embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by mishooo(m): 3:03pm On May 29, 2016
danwakili:
Hello
Mishooo
We have thesame experience is just that mine is severe than your. My order is of 6 cars worth$45,000 they were able to refund only 12k and now I cant find them pls contact me on 08039739780 . Thank you
I will contact you. we can write a petition against them.
Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by MrMcJay(m): 1:21am On May 31, 2016
Kindly involve INTERPOL and probably the American Embassy in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by lukman22: 4:26am On Oct 08, 2017
Sorry for resurrecting this thread. I hope you were able to get your money back?
Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by Hollet: 11:58am On Oct 01, 2018
Serious matter this.

1 Like

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by modskiller(m): 1:48am On Oct 02, 2018
danwakili:
Hello
Mishooo

Jesus is Lord!!! 12,000 out of 45,000.

Chai...

Check the profile of one of their agents i got online, sign up for linkedIn and go to this person's profile and make sure your post their fraudulent activities on her profile for the whole world to see on LinkedIn that shoud at least get you somewhere.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjLtLWBw-bdAhVJulMKHcj6BNgQFjAIegQIKhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Ftavien-blakely-412314a8&usg=AOvVaw2uaEwsNwxtHi8glDh4wI8e
Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by modskiller(m): 1:49am On Oct 02, 2018
skj1377:
sorry for your loss next time try iaai or copart I have bought several cars without issues what you see is what you get. Secondly a shipping company or agent is supposed to be independent of the auction company I guess their licences are different am not sure if both can be combined. Finally, psychologically be sceptical of any person that keeps calling you to send money from experience they are frauds don't fall for it. Keep trying to get your money back you might get lucky.

Sir please can you send me a PM or can i send you a PM.

I would love to ask about IAAI and Copart.

Thanks.
Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by Nobody: 5:26am On Oct 02, 2018
lonelydora:

But Yankee is very big. If his friend stays in San Diego California and car is in NY... You know that is more than 48 hours drive, and by flight its further than from Lagos to London.

1 Like

Re: ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!! by lonelydora: 7:00am On Oct 02, 2018
greenhulk:

But Yankee is very big. If his friend stays in San Diego California and car is in NY... You know that is more than 48 hours drive, and by flight its further than from Lagos to London.

I know. That why you need to buy from where you have someone that is close.

(1) (Reply)

Best German Car To Get? / My Range Rover Evoque Is Getting Angry-- I Need Assitance / Car Not Accelerating Fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.