Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 (56654 Views)

Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 / Hierarchy Of Yoruba Obas As Of 1920 / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Nobody: 3:29pm On Feb 20, 2016
Tequilah:

Bros, you can lie, sha! shocked Who are the Bini people that see Igbo like their family? In which planet did that one happen? Speak for yourself, pls. Bini people do not subscribe to the idea of seeing Igbo like their family. sad

Thank you, o! The guy who made all those false assertions obviously knows next to nothing about the interaction of Bini and other Edo communities, with the Yoruba people over the past several decades.

Thank God say you sef see am! cool I don laugh tire, since I heard the ipob boy trying to claim that Bini people regard the Igbo as their family. LWKMD! cheesy grin

Yorubas are now claiming Benin,wonders shall never end.

The last time I check yorubas refer to Benins as omo ibo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 20, 2016
Super1Star:

What does Izoduwa and Oduduwa hav in common? NOTHING.

From Ekaladerhan to Izoduwa to Imadoduwa. Which one are they actually talking about. The dubious claim is just too obvious. By next week they will even turn it to Oduduwa fully.

Look for your banished prince in the lost city of Atlantis.

Ekaladerhan=Strong in mysticism
Izoduwa=Path to wealth
Imadoduwa=Fell into wealth.

(Stand to be corrected)

What's d meaning of Oduduwa in yoruba?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 4:53pm On Feb 20, 2016
opal4real:

Ekaladerhan=Strong in mysticism
Izoduwa=Path to wealth
Imadoduwa=Fell into wealth.

(Stand to be corrected)

What's d meaning of Oduduwa in yoruba?

Oduduwa is Odu to da iwa i.e. the mythology (ifa) that created a good character/behaviour.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by safeguide: 12:19pm On Feb 22, 2016
Ok
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Nobody: 2:35pm On Feb 26, 2016
stevenhood2000:
Ooni Adesoji Aderemi (centre) To his left is Colonial British Governor of Nigeria, next, Oba Akenzua of Benin and Oba Ademola, Alake of Abeokuta. To Ooni's right, Oba Oladigbolu, Alaafin of Oyo town, and Oba Adesanya Gbelegbuwa, Awujale of ijebu ode.

Courtesy: Hon. ''Ipoola Ahmed Omisore'

http://plusmouth..com.ng/2016/02/photo-senior-yoruba-obas-in-year-1937.html

Distorting history.

This was the first conference of traditional Obas and rulers in the Southern Provinces of Nigeria excluding the Ibos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Nobody: 2:37pm On Feb 26, 2016
Super1Star:

Oduduwa is Odu to da iwa i.e. the mythology (ifa) that created a good character/behaviour.

In one word pls.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by stevenhood2000: 11:48pm On Mar 01, 2016
seeing things here
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Tequilah: 11:52am On Mar 02, 2016
opal4real:

Who are the Yorubas that are claiming Benin? Guy, na wah for you, o! And how many Yorubas refer to Benin people as Omo Ibo? Did you conduct a census from Ekiti, to Ondo, Ibadan and throughout Lagos to ascertain this? Chai! shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Tequilah: 2:48pm On Mar 12, 2016
opal4real:

Who are the Yorubas claiming Benin? shocked When are you going to stop lying, like this? And how many Yorubas have called Benin people 'omo Ibo?' Did you conduct a census from Okitipupa, to Epe, through Abeokuta, Akure, Ife, Itawure, Osogbo etc, before you arrived at this conclusion? Last time I checked, there were quite a number of Benin/Edo people with Yoruba names, o!

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oyatz(m): 11:11am On Dec 24, 2016
Oranmiyan (the founder of both Oyo and Bini dynasties) is the first OBA of Bini and he brought the title of OBA to Bini and also gave the kingdom it name Ile-Ibinu (Yoruba terms).
Prior to the reign of Oranmiyan, the Bini s called their kings 'OGISO' the KINGS OF THE SKY. After the last Ogiso was banished, the of IDU (Bini) had a long period of Republican Government before Oranmiyan brought Obaship to them
Prior to the reign of Oduduwa in Ile-Ife, several dynasties reigned in Ife and some of these had monarchs with the term OBA as prefixes to their names e.g OBAtala, OBAlufe, OBAlufon etc.
Yorubas are conquered by Oba of Bini son Oduduwa, The Binin prince Oduduwa which is the son of Oba of Benin conquered yourubas and yourubas refer to him as god which fall down from haven with cock and palm fruits. Yorubas are slaves to Binin kingdom, the name Oba is a Bini name and word and Eko is a Bini word, The Binis also conquered Aworis and Eguns in Lagos and gave it the name Eko before yorubas started migrating to Lagos. Prince Eze Chima of Onitcha kingdom is one of the biggest allies of Binin Kingdom,he help Binis in their conquest.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by erosimo(m): 6:36pm On Dec 24, 2016
AreaFada2:

This attack happened in which century? Then he passed all the big cities in East Africa and flew with Heli-Odua aircraft to Ife, bah? Dude, get a grip. Copying and pasting conjectures from various ethno-centrists impresses nobody. grin

You will have to do yourself some help by reading at least yoruba history before you can bring your logic reasoning into this argument. Lemme help u a bit, oduduwa was consulting the "ifa" as to where to settle down while he was moving. In fact, he had initially settled at owu town before his further consultation through ifa says n describes where to settle finally which is ile ife. So, oduduwa wasn't just moving without ifa's guidance and that made it impossible for him to have settled anywhere.

If binins have ifa deity, they need to come up with sound fact as to the age of the ifa deity and how long they have been practicing it
Moreover, how did binins get to know that their lost son was suddenly the oduduwa for them to have asked for his bloodline because the last time I checked there was no gsm then.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by erosimo(m): 6:47pm On Dec 24, 2016
Pls, how did Ekaladerhan become oduduwa. I need strong clarification ie. The name itself
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Christistruth00: 11:03am On Jun 27, 2018

From the Yorubas Obas conference 1937 proceedings
Hosted by Sir Bernard Boudillon Governor General of Nigeria
on 31st March and 1st April 1937

Quoting last paragraph of first page:

“The Chiefs were seated in a horse-shoe formation, with the Oni of Ife ,as the head of the town from which all Yorubas have traditionally sprung , at the centre ,and the Alaafin of Oyo at the western and the Oba of benin at the eastern end, an arrangement which gave general satisfaction.”

4 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Christistruth00: 11:14am On Jun 27, 2018
And from Joao Alfonso Aveira (Portugese Navigator) who visited the Oba of Benin in 1486 :

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Christistruth00: 11:23am On Jun 27, 2018

Conference of Yoruba Chiefs 1937 Proceedings:
Full introductory page and page.2 .

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Christistruth00: 1:24pm On Jun 27, 2018
From Jacob Egharevba ,Benin high Chief and Historian

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Christistruth00: 5:43pm On Jun 27, 2018

From R.E Dennett in 1910.

Note that Rev Samuel Johnson’s History of the Yorubas was first published in 1921.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Christistruth00: 7:27pm On Jun 28, 2018
As of 1903 Benin had a tradition that their kings came from the West .

From Ling Roth 1903.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Ayobami7(m): 2:07pm On Nov 09, 2018
this is my comment
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Konquest: 5:33am On Jan 22, 2019
stevenhood2000:
Ooni Adesoji Aderemi (centre) To his left is Colonial British Governor of Nigeria, next, Oba Akenzua of Benin and Oba Ademola, Alake of Abeokuta. To Ooni's right, Oba Oladigbolu, Alaafin of Oyo town, and Oba Adesanya Gbelegbuwa, Awujale of ijebu ode.

Courtesy: Hon. ''Ipoola Ahmed Omisore''

http://plusmouth..com.ng/2016/02/photo-senior-yoruba-obas-in-year-1937.html

The heads of past Obas of Bini were buried in the
Oba Ado (Edo) Grove in Ife where royalty were
buried but the custom has been discontinued since
the 1910s. Ife Royalty and Bini Royalty are cousins
or family members. grin

Great picture!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by LegendHero(m): 1:52am On Feb 21, 2020
Nice thread!

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Drives Vintage Car To Dubar; Same As His Grand-father's In 1956 / 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / Some Legendary Nigerian Pictures And Quotes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.