Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,244 members, 7,780,488 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:23 PM

Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 (56369 Views)

Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 / Hierarchy Of Yoruba Obas As Of 1920 / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Radpajay(m): 10:06pm On Feb 11, 2016
stevenhood2000:
Ooni Adesoji Aderemi (centre) To his left is Colonial British Governor of Nigeria, next, Oba Akenzua of Benin and Oba Ademola, Alake of Abeokuta. To Ooni's right, Oba Oladigbolu, Alaafin of Oyo town, and Oba Adesanya Gbelegbuwa, Awujale of ijebu ode.

Courtesy: Hon. ''Ipoola Ahmed Omisore''

[i] : shocked

http://plusmouth..com.ng/2016/02/photo-senior-yoruba-obas-in-year-1937.html
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by 912(m): 10:08pm On Feb 11, 2016
scholes0:

lol, Benin and Edo state is South West Nigeria geographically.
Pick up a map and educate your sorry self.

Edo state is south south not south west
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Radpajay(m): 10:08pm On Feb 11, 2016
stevenhood2000:
Ooni Adesoji Aderemi (centre) To his left is Colonial British Governor of Nigeria, next, Oba Akenzua of Benin and Oba Ademola, Alake of Abeokuta. To Ooni's right, Oba Oladigbolu, Alaafin of Oyo town, and Oba Adesanya Gbelegbuwa, Awujale of ijebu ode.

Courtesy: Hon. ''Ipoola Ahmed Omisore''

http://plusmouth..com.ng/2016/02/photo-senior-yoruba-obas-in-year-1937.html
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by frisky2good(m): 10:08pm On Feb 11, 2016
Senior Yoruba Obas and Oba of Benin dey there? Make he stand up go stay for back joor. Is he a Yoruba king?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by gozzlin: 10:08pm On Feb 11, 2016
danot1030:
Those Benin indigenes that have been fed with fake history by their parents and those useless IPOB Biafra youth who always think the Yoruba nation is in rivalry of prominence with their tribe and would therefore support anything that is against Yoruba should come and learn from this historic picture and stop arguements.

Idi0t, you can't even spell argument. Always quick to vent your anger on the Biafrans. Na them cause all your frustrations and backwardness?

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Iwonimi(m): 10:09pm On Feb 11, 2016
Which 1 of ur relatives tell u dis story....... I think som1 is sick upstair here,,, SEUN pls call Yaba left to come ooooo
Rayhut:
Yorubas are conquered by Oba of Bini son Oduduwa, The Binin prince Oduduwa which is the son of Oba of Benin conquered yourubas and yourubas refer to him as god which fall down from haven with cock and palm fruits. Yorubas are slaves to Binin kingdom, the name Oba is a Bini name and word and Eko is a Bini word, The Binis also conquered Aworis and Eguns in Lagos and gave it the name Eko before yorubas started migrating to Lagos. Prince Eze Chima of Onitcha kingdom is one of the biggest allies of Binin Kingdom,he help Binis in their conquest.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Radpajay(m): 10:09pm On Feb 11, 2016
sad[quote author=Radpajay post=42841377][/quote] shocked
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by martineinstein(m): 10:11pm On Feb 11, 2016
danot1030:
Those Benin indigenes that have been fed with fake history by their parents and those useless IPOB Biafra youth who always think the Yoruba nation is in rivalry of prominence with their tribe and would therefore support anything that is against Yoruba should come and learn from this historic picture and stop arguements.
it seems u don't know Benin history. They have more documented history than any other part of Nigeria... The bini kingdom has museum in oba palace. The artefacts(over 3000) were looted by b British during punitive expedition in 1896.... They are now scattered all over Europe and America.. All the obas and their wives sculptures and figurine in bronze ( from 14 th century) were properly kept in the museum before the British looted them.

When it comes to record keeping, no tribe in Nigeria documented their history like the binis.

The symbol of Edo state, which is the face of queen idia (1450's AD), is one of the statutes/sculptures stolen by British. The original is still in British museum in London.

11 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by livinbygrace: 10:14pm On Feb 11, 2016
Rayhut:

this is what i posted, did i say that Igbos are in lagos before yorubas, read your history book about Binin kingdom,Prince Eze Chima, the capturing of lagos by Bini empire before they handed Eko to British.

Yorubas are conquered by Oba of Bini son Oduduwa, The Binin prince Oduduwa which is the son of Oba of Benin conquered yourubas and yourubas refer to him as god which fall down from haven with rooster and palm fruits. Yorubas are slaves to Binin kingdom, the name Oba is a Bini name and word and Eko is a Bini word, The Binis also conquered Aworis and Eguns in Lagos and gave it the name Eko before yorubas started migrating to Lagos. Prince Eze Chima of Onitcha kingdom is one of the biggest allies of Binin Kingdom,he help Binis in their conquest.

U dey crase..Most of u just go to glorified secondary schs for nothing.No wonder Prof. of Philosophy from Unilag ,Pro.Oluwole Sowie said road side mechanics are better than some certificate holders.If u dont know what to say,not by force to type nonsense.What is the difference between you and Agbeoros?That you dont like people does not mean you should allow sentiment to becloud your sense of reasoning.

7 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Dexema(m): 10:14pm On Feb 11, 2016
if there is one thing and only one thing I will take away from this thread it's that the statement that " yorubas have NOTHING in common with benin is a fat lie!! on the other hand I think politics and geographical marginalisation has caused the relationship between these monarchs to be strained and distant.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by madetayo: 10:15pm On Feb 11, 2016
APCcrimes:
LOLzzzzzz

I never knew yorubas like binis like this o..

hehehehe..See wailers at the top trying to grab binis to their side...

FYI, my mum is Benin and she does not in any way look like Yoruba...Even in Benin, the Yorubas are like aliens.. The igbos are seen more like family than the yorubas... My cousins, uncles, aunt from my mum's side don't have any atom or trace of yorubish...

The Binis are Binis. Yorubas should mind their lane!

Liar,go check your history well to confirm you weren't adopted. Served in Auchi and frequently visited Benin,was surprised to see the massive number of people speaking the Yoruba language, not fluently but you need no soothsayer to tell you it was Yoruba language. Furthermore, have you heard of the Reformed Ogboni Fraternity (R.O.F), a Yoruba dominated fraternity, you can hardly go by 3-4 houses in Benin without seeing any of their members or signs. I know all these cos I've got Benin friends with Yoruba names & average knowledge of the language,been there as well. For the record again,3 out of 10 Benin indigenes speaks the Yoruba language

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 11, 2016
Iwonimi:
Which 1 of ur relatives tell u dis story....... I think som1 is sick upstair here,,, SEUN pls call Yaba left to come ooooo
Read your history book, Oduduwa that conquered the Yorubas is Oba of Benin son, and Yorubas revered him as god that from haven

4 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by raphoo(m): 10:15pm On Feb 11, 2016
those wailing wailers, Whether u like it or not the History can never be change, to those who still believe in truth. God Bless U @OP

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Taleeysun(f): 10:15pm On Feb 11, 2016
APCcrimes:
LOLzzzzzz

I never knew yorubas like binis like this o..

hehehehe..See wailers at the top trying to grab binis to their side...

FYI, my mum is Benin and she does not in any way look like Yoruba...Even in Benin, the Yorubas are like aliens.. The igbos are seen more like family than the yorubas... My cousins, uncles, aunt from my mum's side don't have any atom or trace of yorubish...

The Binis are Binis. Yorubas should mind their lane!
we are talking history you are talking family

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by pdpchangeapc(m): 10:16pm On Feb 11, 2016
tinkinjow:
grin grin grin grin OP I'm no fool
What's oba Alaafin Oba Awujale Oba Alake grin grin grin grin please abeg biko. Those Bini guys don smoke una out. Very funny how u try to tell us there's such a thing like Oba Alaafin.
Please go back to history books even those written by yorubas and you'll discover there were no such title in yoruba land.
U really got me amused. How about Oba Ooni grin grin grin grin You missed that one. I have read a lot of history and haven't yet come across such.
Please refer me to any book u know of. Thanks.

Leave the Bini people because history is on their side. And mind u am not talking about modern day historians who try to twist it

You are surely what you said you are not. Its obvious you are not Bini nor yoruba. You are only here to 'gbeborun'. In Yorubaland all Kings are Oba. Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba......, Alake of Egbaland, Oba........, Alaafin of oyo, oba.........., Osemawe of Ekiti, Oba........ Even our GOD creator is called Olorun Oba...... So, go and learn a,b,d,e,e,f,g,gb before you make comments about yoruba tradition.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by raphoo(m): 10:18pm On Feb 11, 2016
Rayhut:

Read your history book, Oduduwa that conquered the Yorubas is Oba of Benin son, and Yorubas revered him as god that from haven
u're very Wrong, go back to primary One.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 11, 2016
livinbygrace:

U dey crase..Most of u just go to glorified secondary schs for nothing.No wonder Prof. of Philosophy from Unilag ,Pro.Oluwole Sowie said road side mechanics are better than some certificate holders.If u dont know what to say,not by force to type nonsense.What is the difference between you and Agbeoros?That you dont like people does not mean you should allow to becloud your sense of reasoning.
Have you read your history book well, the publication made by oba of Benin palace also hold this fact that Oduduwa is one of the son of Oba of Benin, he left Benin and conquered the Yorubas according history. google Benin kingdom and oduduwa
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by madgoat(m): 10:19pm On Feb 11, 2016
Where is the Obi of Onitsha? angry
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by OsamaB: 10:19pm On Feb 11, 2016
The picture depicts traditional rulers of the old western region and not Yoruba land. However People should focus more on today rather than over heating what never happened

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Myde4naija(m): 10:20pm On Feb 11, 2016
If the binnis don't want to associate themselves with yoruba I think its fine but you need to work on one thing

Stop using OBA, because you don't need and historical proof to tell you OBA is purely Yoruba language

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by princemartinsG(m): 10:21pm On Feb 11, 2016
This picture and the comments and remarks it has provoked here on nairaland is a clear evidence for we nationalist scientists to conclude that Nigeria our country is far more divided along ethnic lines than united on a national front. While nigerians see themselves to be of different origins, the americans sees themselves as one great nation. When youths today imbibe ethnic sentiments what would be the unity status of nigeria tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 11, 2016
Myde4naija:
If the binnis don't want to associate themselves with yoruba I think its fine but you need to work on one thing

Stop using OBA, because you don't need and historical proof to tell you OBA is purely Yoruba language
Go and read your history book well this how it happened

Yorubas are conquered by Oba of Bini son Oduduwa, The Binin prince Oduduwa which is the son of Oba of Benin conquered yourubas and yourubas refer to him as god which fall down from haven with rooster and palm fruits. Yorubas are slaves to Binin kingdom, the name Oba is a Bini name and word and Eko is a Bini word, The Binis also conquered Aworis and Eguns in Lagos and gave it the name Eko before yorubas started migrating to Lagos. Prince Eze Chima of Onitcha kingdom is one of the biggest allies of Binin Kingdom,he help Binis in their conquest.

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 11, 2016
Over to you Benin people...the photo don't lie undecided
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Nobody: 10:23pm On Feb 11, 2016
danot1030:
the day u stop mentionning ipod is the day you will die,I wonder what if you were born normal or your mama shit u our from the anus while pupuing,cus u don t talk like normal human
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by APCcrimes: 10:23pm On Feb 11, 2016
madetayo:

Liar,go check your history well to confirm you weren't adopted. Served in Auchi and frequently visited Benin,was surprised to see the massive number of people speaking the Yoruba language, not fluently but you need no soothsayer to tell you it was Yoruba language. Furthermore, have you heard of the Reformed Ogboni Fraternity (R.O.F), a Yoruba dominated fraternity, you can hardly go by 3-4 houses in Benin without seeing any of their members or signs. I know all these cos I've got Benin friends with Yoruba names & average knowledge of the language,been there as well. For the record again,3 out of 10 Benin indigenes speaks the Yoruba language

hehehehe...first and foremost, are you from Benin?
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by martineinstein(m): 10:24pm On Feb 11, 2016
Errors,errors....oba of bini doesn't leave his palace.. Where did they take this pics?....' Oba no dey go transfer"

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by APCcrimes: 10:25pm On Feb 11, 2016
Taleeysun:
we are talking history you are talking family

Bro, are you from Benin?
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 11, 2016
danot1030:
the day u stop mentionning ipod is the day you will die,I wonder if you were born normal or your mama shit u out from the anus while pupuing,cus u don t talk like normal human
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by emmabowin(m): 10:26pm On Feb 11, 2016
madetayo:

You are the biggest liar that ever exist. To say that 3 out of 10 bini indigenes speak yoruba is a sin of the highest command. Nairalanders, don't believe this nitwit, they have a gene for lying, liar Mohammed comes to mind... For the records, no where in bini is the yoruba language spoken... Get that fact

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by luvablesam(m): 10:26pm On Feb 11, 2016
danot1030:

Bini people have never been yorubas ....infact according to bini history, the origin of Yoruba people can be traced to a bini prince who ran away to settle in Ife.... Simple

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Blackavast(m): 10:27pm On Feb 11, 2016
Benin City is a city (2006 est. pop. 1,147,188) and the capital of Edo State in southern Nigeria. It is a city approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi) north of the Benin River. It is situated 320 kilometres (200 mi) by road east of Lagos. Benin is the centre of Nigeria's rubber industry, but processing palm nuts for oil is also an important traditional industry. [1] History The original people and founders of the Benin Empire, the Edo people, were initially ruled by the Ogiso (Kings of the Sky) dynasty who called their land Igodomigodo. The rulers or kings were commonly known as Ogiso. Igodo, the first Ogiso, wielded much influence and gained popularity as a good ruler. He died after a long reign and was succeeded by Ere, his eldest son. In the 12th century, a great palace intrigue and battle for power erupted between the warrior crown prince Ekaladerhan son of the last Ogiso and his young paternal uncle. In anger over an oracle, Prince Ekaladerhan left the royal court with his warriors. When his old father the Ogiso died, the Ogiso dynasty was ended as the people and royal kingmakers preferred their king's son as natural next in line to rule. The exiled Prince Ekaladerhan, who was not known in Yoruba land, somehow earned the title of Oni Ile-fe Izoduwa which is now corrupt to yoruba language as Ooni (Oghene) of Ile-Ife Oduduwa and refused to return, then sent his son Oranmiyan to become king. Prince Oranmiyan took up his abode in the palace built for him at Usama by the elders (now a coronation shrine). Soon after his arrival he married a beautiful lady, Erinmwinde, daughter of Osa- nego, was the ninth Enogie (Duke) of Ego, by whom he had a son. After some years residence here he called a meeting of the people and renounced his office, remarking that the country was a land of vexation, Ile-Ibinu (by which name the country was afterward known) and that only a child born, trained and educated in the arts and mysteries of the land could reign over the people. He caused his son born to him by Erinmwinde to be made King in his place, and returned to Yoruba land Ile-Ife. After some years in Ife, he left for Oyo, where he also left a son behind on leaving the place, and his son Ajaka ultimately became the first Alafin of Oyo of the present line, while Oranmiyan himself was reigning as Oni of Ife. Therefore, Oranmiyan of Ife, the father of Eweka I, the Oba of Benin, was also the father of Ajaka, the first Alafin of Oyo. Oni of Ife and Alafe of Oyo is a Bini spoken language all the Kings title in Southerner are Edo Language. In Nigeria Edo has the greatest and rich culture and most influence in West Africa and powerful King in Nigeria. Allegedly Oba Eweka later changed the name of the city of Ile-Binu, the capital of the Benin kingdom, to "Ubinu." This name would be reinterpreted by the Portuguese as "Benin" in their own language. Around 1470, Ewuare changed the name of the state to Edo. [2] This was about the time the people of Okpekpe migrated from Benin City. The Portuguese visited Benin City around 1485. Benin grew rich during the 16th and 17th centuries due to trade within southern Nigeria, as well as through trade with Europeans, mostly in pepper and ivory. In the early 16th century the Oba sent an ambassador to Lisbon, and the King of Portugal sent Christian missionaries to Benin. Some residents of Benin could still speak a pidgin Portuguese in the late 19th century. Many Portuguese loan words can still be found today in the languages of the area. On 17 February 1897, Benin City fell to the British.[1] In the "Punitive Expedition ", a 1,200-strong British force, under the command of Admiral Sir Harry Rawson , conquered and razed the city after all but two men from a previous British expeditionary force led by Acting Consul General Philips were killed.[3] Alain Boisragon, one of the survivors of the Benin Massacre, includes references to the practice of human sacrifice in the city in a firsthand account written in 1898 (one year after the Punitive Expedition). [4] James D. Graham notes that although "there is little doubt that human sacrifices were an integral part of the Benin state religion from very early days," firsthand accounts regarding such acts often varied significantly, with some reporting them and others making no mention of them. [5] The " Benin Bronzes ", portrait figures, busts and groups created in iron , carved ivory , and especially in brass (conventionally called "bronze"wink, were taken from the city by the British and are currently displayed in various museums around the world. [1] Some of the bronzes were auctioned off to compensate for the expenses incurred during the invasion of the city. Most of these artifacts can be found today in British museums and other parts of the world. In recent years, various appeals have gone to the British government to return such artifacts. The most prominent of these artifacts was the famous Queen Idia mask used as a mascot during the Second Festival of Arts Culture (FESTAC '77) held in Nigeria in 1977 now known as "Festac Mask". The capture of Benin paved the way for British military occupation and the merging of later regional British conquests into the Niger Coast Protectorate , the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria and finally, into the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria. The British permitted the restoration of the Benin monarchy in 1914, but true political power still lay with the colonial administration of Nigeria. Following Nigeria's independence from British rule in 1960, Benin City became the capital of Mid-Western Region when the region was split from Western Region in June 1963; it remained the capital of the region when the region was renamed Bendel State in 1976, and became the state capital of Edo State when Bendel was split into Delta and Edo states in 1991.
Source Wikipedia

8 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by labbyk(m): 10:27pm On Feb 11, 2016
Aabeg sheey edo or benin nha part of nigeria then be? Coz I never hear the name before, are they from peru or haiti? Only benin wey I know nha benin republic grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Signs $800m Mou With Arab Billionaire Ahmad Bin(photos) / Alafin's Wife, Ajoke Celebrates Her 27th Birthday - Photos / Aderemi Sijuwade Buys Car For Labisi Folawiyo Hours Before Their Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.