Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,376 members, 7,781,055 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:08 AM

CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner (14547 Views)

NCC Orders MTN, Glo & Airtel & Others To Extend 30-day Data Expiry Period / MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv / MTN To End Blackberry Services In Nigeria On January 27 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by maximunimpact(m): 11:19am On Feb 11, 2016
CPC has directed MTN Communications Limited to pay 1.85 million Naira to one of the winners of its Ultimate Wonder Promo for lack of due diligence.

The order of the Consumer Protection Council (CPC) came on the heels of a complaint brought by Mr Omeje Fidelis against the mobile telecommunications giant that he had been underpaid after he was declared winner of two million Naira in the said sales promotion held in 2012

According to Omeje, he participated in the promo and was called through MTN line 180 on October 10, 2012, that he had won two million Naira in the Ultimate Wonder Promo and that on October 12 of the same year, he got a text message informing him of the presentation ceremony fixed for October 19 at the Nicon Luxury Hotel in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.

The complainant asserted that during the said ceremony, he was presented with a dummy cheque of two million Naira with his name on it while he was interviewed as well as paraded before the media and the world as a winner of the said amount.

He recounted further that he was stunned to receive another call from MTN line 180 on November 2, 2012 that his winning was 150,000 Naira and was thereafter, given a Verve ATM card for that amount.

In its response to the Council’s intervention, MTN denied the claim of Omeje, saying that he was from the on-set informed that his winning was 150,000 Naira and that the complainant deceitfully presented himself when winners in the two million Naira category were called forward on the day of the prize presentation.

The company stated further that Omeje’s antics were discovered at the verification of winners, which was done after the ceremony and he was thereafter, contacted through its 180 line on his misrepresentation pursuant to which he apologised.

But the CPC demanded for the call data of the communications of October 10, 2012, when Omeje was informed of his winnings of 150,000 Naira but MTN failed, refused and neglected to comply with the request made both in 2012 and 2016.

In its orders, the Council frowned at the consistent refusal of MTN to provide “the call data records evidencing details of communication with the complainant”, declaring that “in the absence of this material evidence, which is solely in the possession of the respondent, the CPC must resolve the issue in favour of the complainant”.

It further declared that “the process of the MTN Ultimate Wonder Promotion whereby the verification exercise was conducted after winners were identified, declared and winnings presented publicly is grossly flawed, lacking in transparency, inequitable and apparently calculated to deceive consumers”.

The CPC, on the strength of these observations, directed the MTN to pay within 14 days of receipt of its order, the sum of 1,850,000 Naira “Being the unpaid part of the two million Naira prize won by the complainant in the 2012 MTN Ultimate Wonder Promotion”.

Commenting on the issue, the Council’s Director General, Mrs Dupe Atoki, reaffirmed the obligation of businesses to desist from promos that are not honest, transparent, equitable and faithful or designed to deceive consumers.

http://www.financialwatchngr.com/2016/02/11/cpc-orders-mtn-to-pay-1-85m-naira-to-promo-winner/

5 Likes

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 11, 2016
But where is lalasticlala sef undecided
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by Young03(m): 11:22am On Feb 11, 2016
Mtn oya o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by SylarsMcQuins: 11:24am On Feb 11, 2016
Lol.. MTN with Gbese eveywhere...

14 Likes

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by overdrive(m): 11:25am On Feb 11, 2016
MTN duping Nigerians everywhere they go.

34 Likes

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 11, 2016
Good for them...Yeye MTN scamming peeps since 800 A.D

2 Likes

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by TheFreeOne: 11:36am On Feb 11, 2016
Master-Thief-Network...always in the news for wrong reasons everywhere you go.

8 Likes

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by lekkie073(m): 11:38am On Feb 11, 2016
MTN...... merely

tricking

nigerians

1 Like

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by LegalAnalyst(m): 11:41am On Feb 11, 2016
The Yoruba will say " Bi abato baba se ai pe omo ran lakara"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by luckynzo(m): 12:16pm On Feb 11, 2016
Lawless MTN.

8 Likes

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by luvinhubby(m): 12:31pm On Feb 11, 2016
Imagine !

Like MTN like APC, both are fraudsters.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by idupaul: 1:07pm On Feb 11, 2016
How can they say his actual winning was 150 000 and did a foto of him holding 2 million naira cheque... God don't catch them

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by princemillla(m): 1:39pm On Feb 11, 2016
This is what i actually want to read. I hate deciets . Mtn is full of thia acts and its very bad.

Cpc pls extend ur search light to other companies too, many of them are fraudsters . And a little help here; help us tackle these sms asking us to pay 50 for one stupid things, they are extorting us .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by chiefobdk(m): 1:39pm On Feb 11, 2016
I always care to tell anyone dat listen. stop calling mtn customer care 180. they will always deny Ur call anytime. send dem emails and copy to consumers protection. those guys Still work for Nigerians.

I remember wen mtn zapped1500 from my phone. claiming I used it to browse even wen I still 've about 600mb. I called they did nothing. visited there office they did nothing. they I sent them email and copied consumer protection. consumer protection replied me within two hours. then mtn replied me within 30 mins of cpc email. ( after cpc must 've contacted me).
they refunded my 1500. called me to apologize. actually I shurned d mtn staff never to call me working hour. still called back to apologize.

fvck mtn.

customerportal@ncc.gov.ng

65 Likes 8 Shares

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by Nobody: 1:40pm On Feb 11, 2016
No more room for corrupt practices regardless of your stand.

1 Like

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by kennyman2000(m): 1:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
Nice one.

Consumer protection should also do something about these banks overcharged #50 stamp broad day light stealing.

Here's the link...

https://www.nairaland.com/2925069/customers-lament-banks-begin-stamp#42813771
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by vicoloni(m): 1:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
I feel so sorry for mtn Nigeria brand. Between DEC 2015 and last week I received a total of 30k free airtime from them which I enjoyed tremendously and I learned many other persons got too.
Perhaps some people in that org is sabotaging them!
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by harmless011: 1:43pm On Feb 11, 2016
MTN again
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by Adatob(m): 1:43pm On Feb 11, 2016
Kai mtn! I dey pity dem sha
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by ademega(m): 1:43pm On Feb 11, 2016
we go see enough of this kind good news making headlines in this regime.
imagine that kind scam to him, relatives and even the public. they should jail all these mtn staff if possible. I called them yesterday and lambasted them like seriously
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by DankemzI(m): 1:44pm On Feb 11, 2016
This mtn sef
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by manutdrichie(m): 1:44pm On Feb 11, 2016
MTN again?
why are they behaving as if they are above the law?

1 Like

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 11, 2016
MTN sef don turn to bad market. They just dey fall people hand everywhere you go.
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by Pavore9: 1:46pm On Feb 11, 2016
''The complainant asserted that during the said ceremony, he was presented with a dummy cheque of two million Naira with his name on it while he was interviewed as well as paraded before the media and the world as a winner of the said amount''......As long as he was presented with the dummy cheque by MTN it is assumed that they have verified him before the presentation. MTN just loves trouble!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by menix(m): 1:46pm On Feb 11, 2016
NO WONDER!!!!!!

So this is how MTN ve been deceiving us, i am very sure that the lady who was said to ve won the aeroplane was given a Return Flight ticket to her village nd the rest is history...

Foregoing my people, if MTN says u ve won 100k, pls know u actually won a 100 naira call voucher.

MTN the best Uwa mmebi connection.

8 Likes

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by Tochaigh: 1:46pm On Feb 11, 2016
MTN gave the promo winner a dummy cheque of N2million in front of cameras and gave the winner N150,000 behind the camera.

Such a shame.

4 Likes

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by mosjames: 1:46pm On Feb 11, 2016
Awon Ole buruku, they don't wanto pay before ?? Onigbese jatijati embarassed

2 Likes

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by wristbangle: 1:47pm On Feb 11, 2016
It's high time I ported my Empty Hen line to etislat or glo.

Useless Network.

2 Likes

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by Pray(m): 1:47pm On Feb 11, 2016
MTN and APC, Birds of a feather

10 Likes

Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by meezynetwork(m): 1:47pm On Feb 11, 2016
Mtn always involve in fraudulent acts. How can u print his name in the dummy cheque without verifying if he is the winner? I find that unbelievable. It's not rocket science to verify data in a big company like mtn.
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by martineinstein(m): 1:49pm On Feb 11, 2016
Who remembered how Mtn gave the lady that won 'mtn aeroplane promo' #65 million as the price for winning aeroplane?
Re: CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner by Pray(m): 1:50pm On Feb 11, 2016
EmptyM and Hay Pee Cee, back to back fraudsters.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Innjoo Max 2 Plus Phone Specs & Price In Nigeria / Get FREE 6.25GB Of Data On GLO Network (See How)!!! / New!! New!!! Tecno W5 Smartphone with Fingerprint scanner. *Pictures*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.