Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:47 PM

How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? (94865 Views)

Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? / How Tough Is Pharmacy As A Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by abram10: 2:00pm On Feb 16, 2016
Lagusta:

While your mates are busy going forward, you are still trying to scale through that level you are still in....

My brother is that life

I am a doctor, not a student, so I know what a resit means.....
Can you answer the question I posted above ?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Ebullient07: 3:26pm On Feb 16, 2016
Lagusta:

Chaaai, my head dey swell!!! embarassed embarassed

Anyway, pharmacists do courses, and if they have an F in it, they just carry it over....

But in medicine, we do subjects, not courses, and if we fail one of the subjects, and fail again after resit, we REPEAT the class, and remember the pass mark is 50% and not 40%....

Dentistry is as tough as medicine, they are doctors too....

Well, I dnt know abt odas skuls but in OAU, an F in pharmacy means u'll av a resit. But if after d resit d student fails,then dat's a repeat.
PS: I'm not a student of pharmacy.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 16, 2016
iWillSackDatMod:

In Pharmacy ( Uniben ), d pass mark 4 some courses is 50 while 4 odrs 60%. Failing 2 of these courses can make sm1 probate and any mistake after dat,such person will b sent out of d faculty. Nd d real problem is dat, no much tym 4 reading..almost everyday na practical till 5 or 6pm.
I didn't quote u in other 2 argue superiority o ...I'm just trying 2 tell u dat d 49% a strong "F" in Pharmacy
I've lived with pharmacy students and one graduated with a first class so I know a lot about the structure of your courses. see in medicine every course is like a degree programme. what I mean is we finish the whole physiology , anatomy etc textbooks from front page to back page within a stipulated time, normally 18 months. and that's the same workload people in department of physiology biochemistry cover over 4 years and we're expected to know it better than them, but in pharmacy your course is barely a 100 page material and different lectures take each course and set tests on their part further reducing the number of pages to be read per test. we read text books for exams and you read materials for exams. there's a whole difference, if you doubt any of these do your research.

5 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Lagusta(m): 8:54pm On Feb 16, 2016
abram10:
What Can One Say Of Physiotherapy As A Career. Is it as tough, lucrative like pharmacy, nursing, medical lab... Leaving med and den out of it.

It's a very good and nice course....
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Youngsage: 9:29pm On Feb 16, 2016
callMeAlpha:
bros pure Biochemistry is tougher than Medicine.... For ur information am a 400l medicine student in Unilag
really?! Pls expatiate bro. Would love 2 know more about it
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by demzade: 9:25am On Feb 17, 2016
Drdonzeez:
veteniary medicine, Dentistry and Dental surgery and pharmacy are all tougher than medicine. just that medicine is more difficult to get into.

Guess you studied the two. But the question is... How tough is studying medicine on Nigeria. Smh

2 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Drdonzeez(m): 2:50pm On Feb 17, 2016
demzade:

Guess you studied the two. But the question is... How tough is studying medicine on Nigeria. Smh
so,you're pained?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Drdonzeez(m): 2:52pm On Feb 17, 2016
Elliotwiz1:
I've lived with pharmacy students and one graduated with a first class so I know a lot about the structure of your courses. see in medicine every course is like a degree programme. what I mean is we finish the whole physiology , anatomy etc textbooks from front page to back page within a stipulated time, normally 18 months. and that's the same workload people in department of physiology biochemistry cover over 4 years and we're expected to know it better than them, but in pharmacy your course is barely a 100 page material and different lectures take each course and set tests on their part further reducing the number of pages to be read per test. we read text books for exams and you read materials for exams. there's a whole difference, if you doubt any of these do your research.
see lie from the pith of hell. pharmacy is not a classified degree.

1 Like

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Feb 17, 2016
Drdonzeez:
see lie from the pith of hell. pharmacy is not a classified degree.
Yes but they use CGPA to check the level of success. it may not be on pen but its well acknowledged on the day of induction as first class students are called forth and awarded. I made mention of that to make you understand I've been with the most studious of them all and understand what pharmacy entails.

2 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by fimzzy2015: 5:49pm On Feb 17, 2016
mercylicious:

Please tell me the school in Nigeria that graduates medical students in 6 years?
Its 6 years on paper. earliest possible time (real life) is 7 years plus one year housemanship making it 8 years. Some are even more than that.

I graduated from UI 5yrs 11month. 2009 set. Make your findings well before you generalize please
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Feb 17, 2016
fimzzy2015:

I graduated from UI 5yrs 11month. 2009 set. Make your findings well before you generalize please

No mind am. People like judging based on hearsay. Medicine is fast in Naija sha. 2009 set? I'm sure I know you.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by NiRfreak(m): 7:05pm On Feb 17, 2016
sarzy:

Haha, oga. We are talking about the official thing here nah. My colleagues that gained admission in 2009 in UI graduated last year. So if you spent 8 years, blame strike, not medicine. And the strike affects all courses so even a Mathematics student can spend 6 years in Naija Uni. Stop making it look like Medicine is more than 6 years in duration. And after the six years nko, no be straight to money through internship, when others go dey search for job?
bros u can lie o.....na 2008 set graduate last year for ui......2008/2009.............2016.....
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Feb 17, 2016
NiRfreak:
bros u can lie o.....na 2008 set graduate last year for ui......2008/2009.............2016.....

Fimzzy2015 pls help this child.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by INTERMAN: 9:15pm On Feb 17, 2016
NiRfreak:
. An academic session is always 9 months. Meaning a six session course like medicine shld last for just 5 years but the strike cld increase it to 6 years and not to 8 yrs as u av exagerrrated
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Dbrainiac1(m): 9:32pm On Feb 17, 2016
INTERMAN:
. An academic session is always 9 months. Meaning a six session course like medicine shld last for just 5 years but the strike cld increase it to 6 years and not to 8 yrs as u av exagerrrated
Hohohoho
2007 set med students graduated this January #Unimaid
Whayasay undecided
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Feb 17, 2016
Dbrainiac1:

Hohohoho
Whayasay undecided

If that's true, do you need anyone to tell you that, that was caused by strike? Remember, there are two major strikes that affect Nigerian universities- ASUU and internecine strikes. Hope you understand?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by INTERMAN: 10:37pm On Feb 17, 2016
Dbrainiac1:

Hohohoho
Whayasay undecided
don't u know their is insurgency in Maiduguri. BTW don't coount housemanship with it. Is therw y u are scared of going for medicine. Ok sit down their and be exaggerating.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Minainyo(m): 11:07pm On Feb 17, 2016
Hmmmm...#my heart is really pounding hard# Am a pre-degree student in Uniport aspring to study med and surg. Seriously sirs/madam, with due respect, you guys are making me scared already.....Is medicine thaat tough nd "rugged" I love the course with passion..but the waay you (doctors and Pharm students) are talking abt it, am really thinking hard.
Pls how do I meet up to the standards for the course?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by yokolistic(m): 11:17pm On Feb 17, 2016
Minainyo:
Hmmmm...#my heart is really pounding hard# Am a pre-degree student in Uniport aspring to study med and surg. Seriously sirs/madam, with due respect, you guys are making me scared already.....Is medicine thaat tough nd "rugged" I love the course with passion..but the waay you (doctors and Pharm students) are talking abt it, am really thinking hard.
You don't have to panic...just relax.
The thing is your determination should be your foremost advisor. Tell me can you do cooking all of a sudden without being tutored and grounded in it? Except it's gift ...you won't receive exams without lectures, your exams won't go beyond what you're expected to know.
just be sure to note that inside you is something greater than an obstacle...that's what you should work on. Success!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Dbrainiac1(m): 11:59pm On Feb 17, 2016
INTERMAN:
don't u know their is insurgency in Maiduguri.
I know. Insurgency caused em a year at home, strike 1-2

BTW don't coount housemanship with it. Is therw y u are scared of going for medicine. Ok sit down their and be exaggerating.
Lwkmd. Scared keh?
I'm a 200 level dental student in Unimaid. And the duration here is more than that of medicine. So what are you saying. I was just trying to relate what you said with the situation here. Yuck. That was not an exaggeration but pure fact, they spent almost 3 years at home due to strike/insurgency.
#ban son reni
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Dbrainiac1(m): 12:05am On Feb 18, 2016
sarzy:

If that's true, do you need anyone to tell you that, that was caused by strike? Remember, there are two major strikes that affect Nigerian universities- ASUU and internecine strikes. Hope you understand?
I know that. Nope. I already did. tongue

1 Like

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Minainyo(m): 5:40am On Feb 18, 2016
yokolistic:

You don't have to panic...just relax.
The thing is your determination should be your foremost advisor. Tell me can you do cooking all of a sudden without being tutored and grounded in it? Except it's gift ...you won't receive exams without lectures, your exams won't go beyond what you're expected to know.
just be sure to note that inside you is something greater than an obstacle...that's what you should work on. Success!
Thanks sir..am very grateful. Will do my best
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by artboll(m): 5:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
Minainyo:

Thanks sir..am very grateful. Will do my best
Don't mind Yokolistic,they'll ask you about things you aren't expected to know in your exams(it's called examiner's questions-I faced them). Just joking
On a more serious note,like he said,its just like cooking,well more like a cooking competition. You have to believe in God and then yourself to see you through. The most important thing is to take it,one step at a time.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Samgreguc(m): 9:19pm On Feb 18, 2016
Elliotwiz1:
Same you guys will come here and shout that you guys write an exam every month. Do you know that it is equivalent to writing a C.A on every lecturer's part at different times or same time as d case may be?
My bro, have you ever heard any pharmacist who ended up a physician/surgeon say pharmacy is easier than medicine?
Well, no course is easier and u can never judge the nature of a course by the fact that your room mate graduated with distinction because I know of a guy here who parties a lot and has been d best in his class in not less dan 2 courses. It just been smart and God.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by ayokunlei(m): 2:08pm On Feb 19, 2016
sapiosexual1:
Well I think the ideal word isn't tough, it's tasking and requires alotta commitment and self discipline.
The training is to be as focused and precise as possible cos we deal with human lives. A little error, as lias 0.1 can cost a life. That's what makes it 'dufficult' and rigorous.
And that is statistics bro.
No medicine without statistics
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by ayokunlei(m): 2:51pm On Feb 19, 2016
Minainyo:

Since u have d passion, just be more determined and make sure you programme ur mind not to entertain any fear. All d best.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 20, 2016
Samgreguc:

Same you guys will come here and shout that you guys write an exam every month. Do you know that it is equivalent to writing a C.A on every lecturer's part at different times or same time as d case may be?
My bro, have you ever heard any pharmacist who ended up a physician/surgeon say pharmacy is easier than medicine?
Well, no course is easier and u can never judge the nature of a course by the fact that your room mate graduated with distinction because I know of a guy here who parties a lot and has been d best in his class in not less dan 2 courses. It just been smart and God.
from your post its obvious you have little or no knowledge about the structure of medical school, hence making it difficult to convince you. yawns.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Jum19: 11:17am On Feb 20, 2016
Pls guys,
Ao long does it takes to become a qualified medical doctor?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 11:32am On Feb 20, 2016
To put an end to this debacle what is the criteria for "hardness" of the course?
Also keep in mind that hardness is a subjective and is just relative
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Bukkiminat(f): 3:53pm On Feb 21, 2016
billyG:

There iz no diff.they just do extra yr & add DR. to it,kind of inferiority complex.competing with physicians.

Shut up jor!
Yanyanyanyanyan
It's better u keep quiet if u v no knowledge about something.
'competing with physicians' I shake my head...

Ignorance is hugging you!

2 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by dharmmy007(m): 4:15pm On Feb 21, 2016
Bukkiminat:

Shut up jor! Yanyanyanyanyan It's better u keep quiet if u v no knowledge about something. 'competing with physicians' I shake my head...
Ignorance is hugging you!
Ignorance is really hitting him hard
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Samgreguc(m): 11:45am On Feb 22, 2016
Elliotwiz1:
from your post its obvious you have little or no knowledge about the structure of medical school, hence making it difficult to convince you. yawns.
Wot I said up there is what one of u said. I suPpose U meant he is not knowledgeble abt med schl n nt me.
BTW, I don't conviction over what am sure of.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK / A Thread For All Prospective\New Postgraduate. Students Of NOUN / Unilag 2012/2013 Post UTME/Admissions (Part II)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.