Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? (94848 Views)

Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? / How Tough Is Pharmacy As A Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by billyG(m): 12:20am On Feb 28, 2016
Bukkiminat:

Shut up jor!
Yanyanyanyanyan
It's better u keep quiet if u v no knowledge about something.
'competing with physicians' I shake my head...

Ignorance is hugging you!
He pain u gaga,pharmacists even want 2 b called doctor in d hospital,what they does in hospitals even a train dispenser can do it. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Kirinwa: 9:21am On Feb 28, 2016
callMeAlpha:
bros pure Biochemistry is tougher than Medicine.... For ur information am a 400l medicine student in Unilag

What of physics and maths?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 28, 2016
Kirinwa:

What of physics and maths?
we dy call animals wey get horn, snail dy show him face

4 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by dharmmy007(m): 5:56am On Feb 29, 2016
billyG:

He pain u gaga,pharmacists even want 2 b called doctor in d hospital,what they does in hospitals even a train dispenser can do it. grin grin grin grin grin
...... Your mode of typing even tells much about you.. #SMH #
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 8:21am On Feb 29, 2016
Shekstatari:
we dy call animals wey get horn, snail dy show him face

So you are saying Math and Physics are cheap and irrelevant right? I know you are a joker.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Minainyo(m): 5:05pm On Mar 06, 2016
ayokunlei:

Since u have d passion, just be more determined and make sure you programme ur mind not to entertain any fear. All d best.
Am grateful sir

3 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by walleygee01: 3:05pm On Jun 01, 2016
You see, most people don't realize how medicine and surgery is until they experience it themselves....

My colleague mowah has told u just the academics that go with it, he didn't tell you anything about the responsibilities that flow with it....

Do you want to talk about the lectures (from 8am-6pm everyday, no break, sometimes some profs can hold lectures at 10pm, and you won't say crap) the practicals (during preclinical) and the ward rounds/clinics (during clinical)....

What of the crazy exams, answering 800 objective questions in 3hrs, then coming back that same day to answer all 17essay questions..... Even before that, you write exams nearly every month.....

During ward rounds, you are abused, castigated, told that you can never make it in life, you can never be a doctor, in front of your patient....

Medicine, to me, is the toughest course ever, then we could mention others later

my role model dy tok you dy say na yamayama... I smell envy, boss leave dem alone day don't understand... I pray my father in heaven forgives dem for they know not wat dy r doing
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by labodinho: 10:32am On Jun 04, 2016
Hierarchy of Doctors

Well, now that I’ve mentioned all the staffs that work in a hospital…..

Let me teach all of you the Hierarchy of Doctors:

1) House officers: These are the house boys (like me, lolzz). They are the first to be exposed to patients (even Ebola patients, lolzz), they are the ones that sleep in the hospital when on call. They are the ones that the registrars, nurses and other foooools always love to vent their frustration on…. And we swallow that bitter pill for one full year, before we swallow another NYSC pill for another year

2) REGISTRARS: During or after nysc, we write exams (primaries) to be admitted READ MORE

check www.unilaglabodinho.com
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by labodinho: 11:53pm On Jun 08, 2016
Medical Specialties

I cant sleep, i dont know why?
Am i depressed??
Is this the right path for me??
Or i still haven’t adapted to the circadian rhythm of a house boy??

Hmmmmmm….
Anyway, lets talk about the Medical Specialties!!!

1) Anaesthetiologists: they are always in the theatre, they assist the surgeons in giving the anaesthetic (a drug to paralyze and hypnotize the patient) and monitor the vital signs. They also do pre-op and post-op monitoring

2) Community health physicians: they believe in “prevention is better than cure” they are posted to primary health centres, give health talks on hygiene, immunization, family planning, etc…

3) Internal physicians: these are the physicians, they treat without surgery, they have their specialties, which we’ll discuss later

4) Otolaryngologists: they specialize in the ear, nose and throat, they are surgeons too

5) Ophthalmologists: these are also surgeons that specialize in eye diseases

6) Obstetricians/gynecologists: they specialize in women disorders. Obstetricians deals mainly with pregnant women

7) Pediatricians: they specialize in children only, how sweet!!!

8 ) Radiologists:More on specialties
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by labodinho: 2:20am On Jun 15, 2016
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by tommyBaba: 4:52pm On Jul 05, 2016
JOIN THE ANATOMY, PHARMACEUTICS, HEMATOLOGY E.T.C BRAINSTORMING GROUP ON WHATSAPP ... YOU CAN DROP UR NUMBER OR ADD UP 08081923676 AND TELL HIM TO INVITE YOU.. #
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Minainyo(m): 2:34pm On Dec 01, 2016
ayokunlei:

Since u have d passion, just be more determined and make sure you programme ur mind not to entertain any fear. All d best.
This was one of the advice from this thread that got me going and pushed me to overcome fear/hurdles.
Well, all I can say is thanks B to God. Got the Course I applied for in the programme. The list came out since September...Thanks.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by ayokunlei(m): 9:42pm On Dec 01, 2016
Minainyo:

This was one of the advice from this thread that got me going and pushed me to overcome fear/hurdles.
Well, all I can say is thanks B to God. Got the Course I applied for in the programme. The list came out since September...Thanks.
Great news!! you are welcome.
And thanks for the acknowledgement.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by olaajilaran(m): 1:33am On Dec 05, 2016
tommyBaba:
JOIN THE ANATOMY, PHARMACEUTICS, HEMATOLOGY E.T.C BRAINSTORMING GROUP ON WHATSAPP ... YOU CAN DROP UR NUMBER OR ADD UP 08081923676 AND TELL HIM TO INVITE YOU.. #
kindly add me.. 09038540277
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by bigsmoke2(m): 1:48pm On Feb 12, 2017
truth is you don't have to be very intelligent to study medicine, you just need a retentive memory and must be ready to read hard like your life depends on it cuz the volume of work is enormous and can be overwhelming and exams will be coming at you regularly to keep you on your toes.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by BabyGirl114: 7:35pm On Feb 12, 2017
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Zico5(m): 8:04pm On Feb 12, 2017
Ok

1 Like

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by INTERMAN: 8:47am On Mar 20, 2017
BabyGirl114:
Hi everyone, I wanna study medicine but I don't know what to do,am not really scared about reading for the course because I know how to succeed with God, its all about smartness and I can read alot.,as well as plan a lot on how to read and at least get a pass mark.But am kind of afraid the way you people talk about it.And am more afraid of Jamb and Waec,they can frustrate with alot. I don't have a good retentive memory too but am good in read and understand, and I think am smart(smarter than a lot I have been with)but am not brilliant, all I do is read psychological signs of how to achieve things which I call smartness,and that's my secret to the little I have achieved.
I don't like the way reading medicine is generally in Nigeria, the way I hear you people get stressed a lot unnecessary and at the end of the day, while you are a doctor you prescribe wrong drugs, wrong suggestions and act dumb, and some are even obesed, I see some doctors and feel like how did this one become a doctor? Please I need your sincere advice, do you thinking should go abroad to study medicine? I actually wanto study medicine not because I love working in a hospital but because I need the knowledge and become a private health instructor, I wish to do this after either my postgraduate or my PHD, pls your sincere advise is needed.Thanks
how old are u now ma?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by INTERMAN: 8:49am On Mar 20, 2017
labodinho:

Medical Specialties

I cant sleep, i dont know why?
Am i depressed??
Is this the right path for me??
Or i still haven’t adapted to the circadian rhythm of a house boy??

Hmmmmmm….
Anyway, lets talk about the Medical Specialties!!!

1) Anaesthetiologists: they are always in the theatre, they assist the surgeons in giving the anaesthetic (a drug to paralyze and hypnotize the patient) and monitor the vital signs. They also do pre-op and post-op monitoring

2) Community health physicians: they believe in “prevention is better than cure” they are posted to primary health centres, give health talks on hygiene, immunization, family planning, etc…

3) Internal physicians: these are the physicians, they treat without surgery, they have their specialties, which we’ll discuss later

4) Otolaryngologists: they specialize in the ear, nose and throat, they are surgeons too

5) Ophthalmologists: these are also surgeons that specialize in eye diseases

6) Obstetricians/gynecologists: they specialize in women disorders. Obstetricians deals mainly with pregnant women

7) Pediatricians: they specialize in children only, how sweet!!!

8 ) Radiologists:More on specialties
sebi all are doctors abi and do general treatment if patients?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by BabyGirl114: 8:50am On Mar 20, 2017
INTERMAN:
how old are u now ma?
Am 21
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by BabyGirl114: 8:51am On Mar 20, 2017
INTERMAN:
how old are u now ma?
Am 21
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by INTERMAN: 8:51am On Mar 20, 2017
BabyGirl114:
Am 21
good. So why wld u wait until u finish your Phd?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by BabyGirl114: 8:58am On Mar 20, 2017
INTERMAN:
good. So why wld u wait until u finish your Phd?
I said either postgraduate or PHD, am currently doing My Post graduate, though newly admitted,so as I am planning for medicine next year, I will be working towards PHD as well,anyone that comes,I will accept,but as I heard gaining admission to medicine is a difficult thing
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by INTERMAN: 9:02am On Mar 20, 2017
BabyGirl114:

I said either postgraduate or PHD, am currently doing My Post graduate, though newly admitted,so as I am planning for medicine next year, I will be working towards PHD as well,anyone that comes,I will accept,but as I heard gaining admission to medicine is a difficult thing
Ok God help u. Sorry, Will u love to start from year 1 or DE
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by BabyGirl114: 9:27am On Mar 20, 2017
INTERMAN:
Ok God help u. Sorry, Will u love to start from year 1 or DE
hmmn
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Mikolion87(m): 1:56am On Apr 07, 2017
Medicine no be beans. As a dental surgery student, I had to steer clear of every form of destraction be it in form of friends or social media until I crossed 3rd MBBS.. My bulk of dental work which we did simultaneously with MB programme didn't help matters. My internal medicine and surgery (4th BDS/5th MB) dealt a greater blow on me and plunged me into depression even though I read for more 18hours a day (wheneva I didn't go for clinical postings..). But anyways, when I look at the destination, I know the toil is worth it #Dental surgeon

4 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Dellybanky(m): 1:19pm On Apr 07, 2017
Mikolion87:
Medicine no be beans. As a dental surgery student, I had to steer clear of every form of destraction be it in form of friends or social media until I crossed 3rd MBBS.. My bulk of dental work which we did simultaneously with MB programme didn't help matters. My internal medicine and surgery (4th BDS/5th MB) dealt a greater blow on me and plunged me into depression even though I read for more 18hours a day (wheneva I didn't go for clinical postings..). But anyways, when I look at the destination, I know the toil is worth it #Dental surgeon
great to hear your view....but i wanna ask,is dental surgery a lucrative course in this country?.......aam an aspirant
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Dbrainiac1(m): 1:41pm On Apr 07, 2017
Dellybanky:

great to hear your view....but i wanna ask,is dental surgery a lucrative course in this country?.......aam an aspirant
Do you want dentistry for the money or for the passion you have for the field?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Dellybanky(m): 2:12am On Apr 19, 2017
Dbrainiac1:
Do you
want dentistry for the money or for the passion you have for the field?
we are all into education to gain knowledge and to make money in the future.......am into dentistry for both money and passion

1 Like

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by COOL10(m): 2:44am On Apr 19, 2017
Hello people,how do UI calculate the scores in order to admit medical aspirants? Thanks for your replies
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by mmaokam: 7:08pm On Jul 14, 2017
do uniport gives Admission in medicine based on merit

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK / A Thread For All Prospective\New Postgraduate. Students Of NOUN / Unilag 2012/2013 Post UTME/Admissions (Part II)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.