Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,708 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (9651 Views)

Fashola Tells Landlords To Collect Rents In Arrears / Landlords In Rivers State Controlling Floods By Digging Trench (Photos) / Tips For First-time Tenants And Landlords (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 2:48am On Feb 26, 2016
olumide4christ:

Not always. Depends on your location which also a lot of times directly determines the level of your tenants. I don't think anybody living in the new building (3 No. 3-bedroom bungalows in a compound where the rent is N1.5 million per annum) opposite my house would indulge in such negative behaviour like Madam Gabbytabby spoke about above.

I have come to realise that money does not buy class. Some just have no sense of hygiene or are just lazy. I would often times insist on meeting madam.

You know the saying you can take the boy out of the ghetto but not the ghetto out of the boy. In this case it was my most well off tenant that was the worst.

1 Like

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 3:12am On Feb 26, 2016
Also good to have an information sheet for new tenants which tells them where important facilities are located and how to operate them.

Remember to include that Gas cylinders should be placed outside the kitchen and have in mind where this will be kept when designing the upstairs flats kitchen.

1 Like

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 3:31am On Feb 26, 2016
brag3:
Interesting. This whole rental biz sounds like a big pain...

Doing any kind of business in 9ja you must get liver you see as brother chekitaut is groaning. The mindset of the average 9ja get as he be.

That is why even the Govt build and sell.

You try to limit opportunity for things to go pear shaped and if you can afford it do not live with tenants or if you have to limit your sharing of facilities and interaction. See no evil, hear no evil.

At the same time set things up at the beginning. You have to know your market as most of us go into it blind.

I worked in real estate for a long while and have seen how the cost of doing business rises based on the changes in the client group. We adjust by shifting more responsibilities to the tenant. In 9ja a tenant is responsible for all internal non structural repairs so make sure you write this into the agreement.

Even in the UK blocked kichen sink is tenant responsibility.

1 Like

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by brag3: 2:09pm On Feb 26, 2016
I can agree with you to some extent but trust me most of the rental market seems to have one bad story or the other.
Always someone trying to take someone for a ride or abuse one's hard earned living.
There is just way too much jealousy in this town which leads to so much beefing.
Tenants think landlord has so much money because he/she has properties for rent so they feel that need to make your life a misery until you show them that were pass were grin grin grin

olumide4christ:

Not always. Depends on your location which also a lot of times directly determines the level of your tenants. I don't think anybody living in the new building (3 No. 3-bedroom bungalows in a compound where the rent is N1.5 million per annum) opposite my house would indulge in such negative behaviour like Madam Gabbytabby spoke about above.
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by brag3: 2:11pm On Feb 26, 2016
Thank you Madam Gabby. I rest my case.

gabbytabby:

I have come to realise that money does not buy class. Some just have no sense of hygiene or are just lazy. I would often times insist on meeting madam.

You know the saying you can take the boy out of the ghetto but not the ghetto out of the boy. In this case it was my most well off tenant that was the worst.

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by brag3: 2:13pm On Feb 26, 2016
Thanks again. The landlord handbook just keeps getting bigger by the day grin grin grin grin

You should write a book on this ooo. You will make a killing. grin

gabbytabby:
Also good to have an information sheet for new tenants which tells them where important facilities are located and how to operate them.

Remember to include that Gas cylinders should be placed outside the kitchen and have in mind where this will be kept when designing the upstairs flats kitchen.
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 26, 2016
brag3:
Thanks again. The landlord handbook just keeps getting bigger by the day grin grin grin grin

You should write a book on this ooo. You will make a killing. grin

very true.
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by Nobody: 5:11pm On Feb 26, 2016
Madam Gabbytabby the chair-lady of homeowner association grin

i just sent you an email. I have some questions for you that I don't want to throw out here for now.

Regards,
3strikes!!!
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 1:42am On Feb 27, 2016
3strike:
Madam Gabbytabby the chair-lady of homeowner association grin

i just sent you an email. I have some questions for you that I don't want to throw out here for now.

Regards,
3strikes!!!
I just replied
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by tayoolarinde(f): 3:41am On Feb 27, 2016
Call me on 08062223620 for info
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 7:26am On Feb 27, 2016
Ask baba God for wisdom, knowledge and understanding cos quite a number will say anything to get out of paying. You will hear a lot that will make you think what is happening here.

Things that you think are given like how many flats are in the building they will even argue cos they want you to tell the utility that there is 4 instead of 6.

They will say things like the way it's done is not to fully pay a bill as if you do nepa will increase the next bill.

If you are not careful they will send you on a wild goose chase of alternative ways things are done to reduce payment. I now ask the person suggesting to explore their option and they suddenly start to backtrack .
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 7:33am On Feb 27, 2016
tayoolarinde:

Dont be shy spill the beans here. I see you just registered 3 days ago and have land to sell.

1 Like

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 27, 2016
tayoolarinde:

Oga / madam, drop the infos here so we can all learn. I no get credit to dey call o..I have credit to flash tho... $ don go up undecided
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by abrahamwise: 11:34am On Feb 27, 2016
ANYONE WHO HAS ANY PROOF OF FRAUD, MISAPPROPRIATION OF FUND, DIVERSION OF PAYMENT, THEFT FROM BRABUS OR BRABUSNG SHOULD SEND IT TO pevscamm@gmail.com
WE ARE BUILDING A CASE AGAINST HIM. THANK YOU
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by brag3: 2:49pm On Feb 28, 2016
I keep saying this. Na only Baba God fit save us from this.
We can try and implement certain things but when it comes down to the crunch na Baba God fit help us (unless you are wiling to take it to another level) grin grin grin grin

gabbytabby:
Ask baba God for wisdom, knowledge and understanding cos quite a number will say anything to get out of paying. You will hear a lot that will make you think what is happening here.

Things that you think are given like how many flats are in the building they will even argue cos they want you to tell the utility that there is 4 instead of 6.

They will say things like the way it's done is not to fully pay a bill as if you do nepa will increase the next bill.

If you are not careful they will send you on a wild goose chase of alternative ways things are done to reduce payment. I now ask the person suggesting to explore their option and they suddenly start to backtrack .
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by Nobody: 4:28pm On Feb 28, 2016
abrahamwise:
ANYONE WHO HAS ANY PROOF OF FRAUD, MISAPPROPRIATION OF FUND, DIVERSION OF PAYMENT, THEFT FROM BRABUS OR BRABUSNG SHOULD SEND IT TO pevscamm@gmail.com
WE ARE BUILDING A CASE AGAINST HIM. THANK YOU

Mehn are you afraid of him?why not use your real moniker or tell us who you are first,you can't just come in here and set up an account and think people will trust you witout knowing u.am sure you are an old timer here,it will do a lot of good if you use your real moniker.

No hard feelings though.

2 Likes

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 12:46pm On Feb 29, 2016
[quote author=brag3 post=43330261]I keep saying this. Na only Baba God fit save us from this.
We can try and implement certain things but when it comes down to the crunch na Baba God fit help us (unless you are wiling to take it to another level)

duplicated
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 12:51pm On Feb 29, 2016
brag3:
I keep saying this. Na only Baba God fit save us from this.
We can try and implement certain things but when it comes down to the crunch na Baba God fit help us (unless you are wiling to take it to another level) grin grin grin grin

Aside from the rent default escalation, there are things I did without violating the agreement.

1-agreement says tenants are responsible for internal repairs but I relax this for good tenants and ask the bad ones to read their agreement. Making sure they see me do same for others.

2-I would sometimes carry out improvements but limit this to good tenants and wait for the bad ones to leave before I do the flat. I actually learnt this from the UK we put the bad payers at the bottom of the list of the improvement programme.

3-in one extreme situation which is well documented here I excluded from external painting. This facilitated their quick exit. Work in progress matter na there my money reach abi undecided until debtors and freeloaders pay up

3 Likes

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by brag3: 2:53pm On Mar 01, 2016
Very good tips.
We dey always learn from you, Madam

gabbytabby:

Aside from the rent default escalation, there are things I did without violating the agreement.

1-agreement says tenants are responsible for internal repairs but I relax this for good tenants and ask the bad ones to read their agreement. Making sure they see me do same for others.

2-I would sometimes carry out improvements but limit this to good tenants and wait for the bad ones to leave before I do the flat. I actually learnt this from the UK we put the bad payers at the bottom of the list of the improvement programme.

3-in one extreme situation which is well documented here I excluded from external painting. This facilitated their quick exit. Work in progress matter na there my money reach abi undecided until debtors and freeloaders pay up
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 8:24pm On Mar 01, 2016
The saga continues. Tenant said give me till end of February and I will either pay my rent or pack out. Come 29th February caretaker said he called again to get account number. Later in the day I saw alert and just before I start to jubilate na hIm I look details well he pays 100k out of 450k rent. Hmmmmm. I just call agent to find out what his game plan is cos the drama continues.

Never have I seen this kind before cos as a minimum they will pay half of the year's rent.

gabbytabby:
I have had an interesting weekend. One in particular is really pissing me off(to use his statement)

We tend to remind tenants at 2 months before expiry he beat agent to it and called in oct 2015 apparently he wants to pay for 6 months then and 6 months at expiry of current tenancy so me say no problem. Let's just say at today's date he is still owing full rent and cda from Jan 2015.

Dec 2015 is expiry agent says he has not been picking calls over a period of 2 weeks. I was going to spend 2 weeks there so I said not to worry I will see tenant. Now it's January and asks for extra time til end Jan 2016 to pay still it's okay. Come end Jan it's now will pay Feb 12. Arrow virtually woke agent and I up on the morning of Feb 12 2016 apparently he needs account number to make payment. You guessed it still no payment made.

I had work to do so stayed at the premises over this weekend so I put up the rent default list. Apparently Arrow is pissed off at this and was chest beating how he has 20 farms(apparently he said he is a farmer when he toook the flat but with a timetable of average 11am to 11pm me i wonder which kind farming be that), owns a home in lagos so I added drives a bmw and parked a hummer jeep in the compound but still owes 450k rent and 16.5k service charge some from Jan 2015.

So I am now thinking your wife no longer stays in the flat is she in the home you own and you are using my flat as stake out for some shady deals? Apparently he is going to pack out by the end of Feb if he can't pay by then. I would rather he just pack out really with his threatening before.

I just reported incident at ajiwe police station.
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 9:25am On Mar 03, 2016
Anytime 9ja tenant no like what you are saying especially when you send reminder to pay rent to avoid eviction they will say you are threatening them. Don't take it personally most don't really know the meaning or are hoping you will back off asking them to pay rent.

1 Like

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by abrahamwise: 9:52am On Mar 03, 2016
I sometimes believe a one year contract with a tenant while the tenant drops 6 checks is still the best way to go. This mean payment for rent is every 2 months or 12 checks which is every month. As long as the tenant works in an establishment where bounced checks are taken seriously.
Pros and Cons....pls let's discuss because sometimes it doesn't mean because we are doing it one way then it cant be done another way.
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 03, 2016
abrahamwise:
I sometimes believe a one year contract with a tenant while the tenant drops 6 checks is still the best way to go. This mean payment for rent is every 2 months or 12 checks which is every month. As long as the tenant works in an establishment where bounced checks are taken seriously.
Pros and Cons....pls let's discuss because sometimes it doesn't mean because we are doing it one way then it cant be done another way.

Father Abraham thats not a bad idea o...
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by diordaves(m): 12:55am On Mar 04, 2016
gabbytabby:
The saga continues. Tenant said give me till end of February and I will either pay my rent or pack out. Come 29th February caretaker said he called again to get account number. Later in the day I saw alert and just before I start to jubilate na hIm I look details well he pays 100k out of 450k rent. Hmmmmm. I just call agent to find out what his game plan is cos the drama continues.
Never have I seen this kind before cos as a minimum they will pay half of the year's rent.

I agree it's a tough act to follow such irresponsible tenant, but I would say property investors/landlord could do more to mitigate situation like this. Due diligent without emotion should be carried out before accepting a tenant. I accept you have done a lot and really experience in such matters, but you can do more or go that extra mile. How?

For a near wahala free tenancy these are the questions I must ask and establish:

Name? passport photo

Married or Single?

Dependents; how many people will be living in the property?: A tenant with large dependents may struggle with cash-flow

Previous addresses for the last three years?: This will help establish the social stability of the tenant. A prospecting tenant with a high frequency of change and movement should be flagged.

Why are you leaving current property?: This may help establish if there is an on going dispute with landlord

Contact details of current landlord?: To get reference

Place of work or business?: To establish net-worth of the tenant; case of affordability

Annual total household income? : Affordability

Bank statement for the last six months: Establish cash-flow

How was last tenancy paid? yearly, monthly ?: To establish if tenant has financial experience in paying yearly rent

How was last tenancy paid? bank transfer or cash? Receipt of payment of last tenancy for one year?: Proof

If married, tenancy is for both man and wife.

Now lets crunch some numbers from above question with an hypothetical case.

Our sister gabbytabby has a three bedroom property in Egbeda in Lagos State. The rent is 300k per annum . Sister gabbytabby let the property out to a respectable looking young man with two children who works in Victoria Island. The man looks respectable so Sister gabbytabby did not establish total household yearly income, didn't ask for bank statement, address for the last three years and she did not establish how the tenant is putting funds together to pay the initial rent. After one year our sister gabbytabby is now being giving the run around by the tenant for the next installment of the yearly rent. Do you thing gabbytabby is being put to the "treatment" because she failed to ask the right question? I will say yes. How?

If gabbytabby had asked she would have established that though tenant works in a respectable part of the city Mr tenant works with a travel agency and earns 70k a month and the tenant is the only income earner of the household. If she had asked how did the tenant put funds together to pay the initial rent, she would have established this was partly done to calls to wife's brother in London and chip-ins from friends and family here and there. If she had asked she would have established that the tenant lived with friends for a considerable length of time and the wife and kids lived with her parents because of backlog of rent at previous address. All these are red flag for any landlord.

A 300k yearly rent translates to 25K a month.

Tenant earns 70k a month so 70k minus 25k = 45k

Transport fare from Egbeda area to Victoria Island is on average N500 return.

So all taken in the tenant spends 20k on transport as a family which include fares for kids to school as well.

Now 45k minus 20k = 25k left

Tenant spends 7k a month on Genset fuel and energy bill.

So 25k minus 7k = 18k net income

From the above this hypothetical family cannot afford to put aside the monthly rent for payment after the initial one year has expired. This family will dig into the monthly rent to have a near decent living so at the expiration of the initial rent, there will not be any money set aside to pay the rent going forward and may resort to the diaspora in-law to cough up once again. And if the diaspora in-law says not again, surely the landlord will be put to the "treatment" sister gabbytabby is currently experiencing.

Believe or not most rents arrears are of this hypothetical nature and as a landlord if you ask the right questions and dig beyond the surface you will see the warning sign miles off.

3 Likes

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by Nobody: 1:46am On Mar 04, 2016
diordaves:

I agree it's a tough act to follow such irresponsible tenant, but I would say property investors/landlord could do more to mitigate situation like this. Due diligent without emotion should be carried out before accepting a tenant. I accept you have done a lot and really experience in such matters, but you can do more or go that extra mile. How?

For a near wahala free tenancy these are the questions I must ask and establish:

Name? passport photo

Married or Single?

Dependents; how many people will be living in the property?: A tenant with large dependents may struggle with cash-flow

Previous addresses for the last three years?: This will help establish the social stability of the tenant. A prospecting tenant with a high frequency of change and movement should be flagged.

Why are you leaving current property?: This may help establish if there is an on going dispute with landlord

Place of work or business?: To establish net-worth of the tenant; case of affordability

How was last tenancy paid? yearly, monthly ?: To establish if tenant has financial experience in paying yearly rent

How was last tenancy paid? bank transfer or cash? Receipt of payment of last tenancy for one year?: Proof

Our sister gabbytabby has a three bedroom property in Egbeda in Lagos State. The rent is 300k per annum . Sister gabbytabby let the property out to a respectable looking young man with two children who works in Victoria Island. The man looks respectable so Sister gabbytabby did not establish total household yearly income, didn't ask for bank statement, address for the last three years and she did not establish how the tenant is putting funds together to pay the initial rent. After one year our sister gabbytabby is now being giving the run around by the tenant for the next installment of the yearly rent. Do you thing gabbytabby is being put to the "treatment" because she failed to ask the right question? I will say yes. How?

If gabbytabby had asked she would have established that though tenant works in a respectable part of the city Mr tenant works with a travel agency and earns 70k a month and the tenant is the only income earner of the household. If she had asked how did the tenant put funds together to pay the initial rent, she would have established this was partly done to calls to wife's brother in London and chip-ins from friends and family here and there. If she had asked she would have established that the tenant lived with friends for a considerable length of time and the wife and kids lived with her parents because of backlog of rent at previous address. All these are red flag for any landlord.

So all taken in the tenant spends 20k on transport as a family which include fares for kids to school as well.

From the above this hypothetical family cannot afford to put aside the monthly rent for payment after the initial one year has expired. This family will dig into the monthly rent to have a near decent living so at the expiration of the initial rent, there will not be any money set aside to pay the rent going forward and may resort to the diaspora in-law to cough up once again. And if the diaspora in-law says not again, surely the landlord will be put to the "treatment" sister gabbytabby is currently experiencing.

Believe or not most rents arrears are of this hypothetical nature and as a landlord if you ask the right questions and dig beyond the surface you will see the warning sign miles off.

Seconded! Did you read my suggestions regarding simple background check on page 1?
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 10:02am On Mar 04, 2016
Unfortunately I was abroad and relied on agents who are basically a total waste of money. In some cases I suspect tenants who are likely to be problematic and I am usually right. I am learning to be more specific with what I mean and drafting forms to be completed by agent as part of the due diligence process.

I agree with you that more can be done and more will be cos my focus now is on managing.

My focus was on development but now I am taking corrective measures count my loses now but get them out.

I am learning to take emotions out of it. There is actually one who falls into this category and I know we are on s downward spiral cos family in diaspora paid for the first two years and I guess they have now said no cos last year goods were held in apapa for 6 months. This year I do not know what the trouble is but she has been issued with eviction notice but will be dragged out kicking and screaming if that is what has to happen. She cannot even afford service charge and takes offence when you suggest cheaper options.

diordaves:

Name? passport photo

Married or Single?

1 Like

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by Nobody: 11:18am On Mar 04, 2016
gabbytabby:
Unfortunately I was abroad and relied on agents who are basically a total waste of money. In some cases I suspect tenants who are likely to be problematic and I am usually right. I am learning to be more specific with what I mean and drafting forms to be completed by agent as part of the due diligence process.

I agree with you that more can be done and more will be cos my focus now is on managing.

My focus was on development but now I am taking corrective measures count my loses now but get them out.

I am learning to take emotions out of it. There is actually one who falls into this category and I know we are on s downward spiral cos family in diaspora paid for the first two years and I guess they have now said no cos last year goods were held in apapa for 6 months. This year I do not know what the trouble is but she has been issued with eviction notice but will be dragged out kicking and screaming if that is what has to happen. She cannot even afford service charge and takes offence when you suggest cheaper options.

A stitch in time as they say saves nine...personally am not interested in those who can proudly pay their first rent but those who can pay second and subsequent(s).

So yea we will get a lil personal. I want to know how much you make, source of income and yes your account balance too.
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 11:36am On Mar 04, 2016
At times you feel that you do not want to get too personal but seeing that a lot of them tell lies we need to get proof.

I am re drafting the application form and due diligence form as a priority

3strike:

A stitch in time as they say saves nine...personally am not interested in those who can proudly pay their first rent but those who can pay second and subsequent(s).

So yea we will get a lil personal. I want to know how much you make, source of income and yes your account balance too.

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 3:15pm On Mar 04, 2016
Duplicate
Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by gabbytabby: 3:20pm On Mar 04, 2016
@diordaves I will show you an example of where I felt we covered the bases but still got the run around. This is a medical doctor has been working for several years. The contrary info via my check suggest that although he said he was married the likelihood was that he was engaged to be married and although he said he was living in the private hospital hostel this was a lie.

1.refers to agents response to detailed info I requested before we let to him.
2. Refers to first reason given for non payment of rent
3. Refers to second reason

for this one tenant we had to keep toing and froing and he finally paid in 3 tranches over a 4 month period.

1 Like

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by diordaves(m): 12:58am On Mar 05, 2016
gabbytabby:
@diordaves I will show you an example of where I felt we covered the bases but still got the run around. This is a medical doctor has been working for several years. The contrary info via my check suggest that although he said he was married the likelihood was that he was engaged to be married and although he said he was living in the private hospital hostel this was a lie.
1.refers to agents response to detailed info I requested before we let to him.
2. Refers to first reason given for non payment of rent
3. Refers to second reason
for this one tenant we had to keep toing and froing and he finally paid in 3 tranches over a 4 month period.

Yes you covered the bases but left uncovered the fundamental facts:

Was the Doctor living rent free at the private hostel? If yes, why move to a property he now needs to pay rent?

Is it normal for a medical Doctor who is married and has worked for a very long time to live in a private hostel? Any prospecting tenant who lives in a hostel has failed the social stability test. Red flag!!! Only adult with domestic or mental problems live in hostels.

I can only hazard a guess what's probably happening with this tenant. It is possible that the Doctor has a project going; either putting up a clinic or at the finishing stage of a property. So he's deliberately withholding the payment of rent and in a mad and determined rush to complete the project and move instead of paying that yearly rent. I've seen this happen time and time again in the business. If this is not the case then it's a case of affordability.

1 Like

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> by Qc1(m): 2:46pm On Mar 05, 2016
twinskenny:
yes baba. That's the law

^^^FACT ^^^

However, there's a way round it, you can serve your tenant a quit notice the same day he/she signed the tenant occupancy contract. The logic is you have to serve the tenant the notice within 6 months of moving in even though he/she has 6 months or more left before his/her rent is due. Tenants knows about this law and they will try their best to take advantage of it.

Protect yourself!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fg Wilson Perkins Generators 9.5kva-2500kva / Cost Of Water Tank Scaffolding / Fire Destroys Houses In Danmagaji, Zaria This Morning (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.