Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,932 members, 7,806,699 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa (39080 Views)

Ambode And Soyinka At Boxing Match Between Tinubu & Holyfield / Amaechi And Prof Soyinka At The N82Million Dinner Party - Photos / Obasanjo, Shehu Yar'adua And T.Y. Danjuma At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Nobody: 10:04am On Feb 12, 2016
Caseless:
Vatsa was like a brother to ibb - so close that that vatsa's wife didn't know they were not joined in blood until ibb ordered the execution of vatsa even when there were no evidences showing vatsa took part in the failed coup. Infact he was vatsa's bestmam on his wedding day; he signed vatsa's wife into womanhood and signed her into widowhood.

Ibb is a devil!
IBB was lured and incited to execute Vasta. It was not as it seemed there was a long hatred for Vasta by the SMC. Remember it was vasta that foiled the the Dimka coup, that led to the killing of several central northern officers. When Dimka was indicted for coup plotting the SMC held tight to it despite pleas from all concerned. IBB could not do much because it was the central powers' (Kaduna/Plateau) influence that brought IBB to power....they wanted the head of Vasta by all means.....some of them were T.Y danbaba, Jerrybin ushenti...et al....
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Nobody: 10:06am On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:

The only reason I hate IBB till date.
ibb did not kill vasta...it was T.Y danju baba et al....they have planned it for long. Ibb hands were tied...
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Nobody: 10:06am On Feb 12, 2016
My great literary Icons cool
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by unite4real: 10:08am On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:
This explained the one Nigeria of old, it was genuine and pure.. Unlike what we have now.. Yoruba man and Igbo man going to beg for the release of an HAUSA man

Vatsa was not Hausa please. Not everyone from the north is Hausa.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by NegusNagast: 10:10am On Feb 12, 2016
doublewisdom:

Because Soyinka could not control his jealously of Achebe's achievements. The reference to Achebe as the father of African literature almost made Soyinka run mad with envy. grin grin

Why do you like talking rubbish? If you can't make sensible comments then STFU instead of peddling lies.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by slap1(m): 10:10am On Feb 12, 2016
cuvox:

you seem to be left behind. towards Achebe's last days there was a literary battle
Achebe and Soyinka were not enemies. Get your facts straight before you deceive other gullible people.

1 Like

Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Julietekekwe1: 10:13am On Feb 12, 2016
loomer:
I beg, who be vesta?
What is the need of your browsing phone, when you can't do a simple research with it.

1 Like

Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by onatisi(m): 10:14am On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:
This explained the one Nigeria of old, it was genuine and pure.. Unlike what we have now.. Yoruba man and Igbo man going to beg for the release of an HAUSA man
Mamam vasta was a great poet,a very rare one . He was very very good .try and get some of his poems.
Ibb also executed one of the best air force pilots in Africa at that time squadron leader martin Luther,even Rawlings pleaded intensely and passionately that he should be spared and be wasted but ibb refused
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Wizlove(m): 10:21am On Feb 12, 2016
You see achebe, you see integrity. No single one in wale.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by 247notire(m): 10:22am On Feb 12, 2016
danidee10:

Woahhh.....i've never analyzed it this way everybody is always blaming the north, but other tribes have also had an equal share of power and they did absolutely nothing with it.....a round of a plus for this gentleman cool cool
Let me educate u. when we say the north has always been the problem of nigeria it is not by who has been president in what times. It's the fact that any tym they are in power, the kind of massive corruption and enrichment of themselves and their cronies that happen is bewildering. Also, they will always be against anything that will cause the country to be restructured cos as it stands, the country's current lopsided structure has always favoured them. They are also very violent and have caused the death of too many Nigerians, esp of southern origin. their born to rule mentality also does not help. I hope u understand a bit now?
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by MightySparrow: 10:26am On Feb 12, 2016
cuvox:
before Achebe and Soyinka turned enemies

Were they or tribalists made themselves enemies because of their friendship - people like you?
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by mandax: 10:30am On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:

Today can Yoruba man join Igbo man to go beg Buhari to release Nnamdi Kanu?

Kanu's offense is that the Kanu clan comes close to stopping the Buhsri clan from controlling proceeds from Crude oil in the Niger delta - nothing more.

Buhari must not mistake Kanu for Saro Wiwa. Buhari must release Kanu. Charge of treason and felony against Kanu are unfounded.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by HomeOfMe(f): 10:40am On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:
Nigeria is more divided now than it was in the 80s. We are like strange bed fellows forcing ourselves to stay together;that's why I sometimes want to agree with the ibos who want to go away. Our leaders are simply selfish,not that they really want to ibos to stay because they like them,but because they are benefiting from the huge population of the. Country. Sorry for deviating from the topic though.

1 Like

Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by phranseeqz(m): 10:47am On Feb 12, 2016
ORACLE1975:
K
Your signature ehn... I bow
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by ajebuter(f): 10:48am On Feb 12, 2016
1986:

I was in form one then with a major crush on our senior prefect in form 5

And IBB was drop-dead gorgeous then.

Now, he is a geriatric filthy-rich old fart.

I can use his billions anyway.

God bless our hustle..
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by loomer: 10:56am On Feb 12, 2016
Julietekekwe1:
What is the need of your browsing phone, when you can't do a simple research with it.

So if u tell me now who him be, the world go end?
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by tomdon(m): 10:56am On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:

What exactly do we have now, I fail to understand.
What has changed?
Who are those people that hate others?
Why are you people fanning the embers of hatred.
As a Yoruba man, I hold absolutely no animosity towards any other ethnicity and I'm not piqued by anybody's existence.
Where does this hatred really exist?
Where is the bitterness coming from?
I think the hatred resides only in the hearts of the proponents
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Adminisher: 11:22am On Feb 12, 2016
doublewisdom:

Because Soyinka could not control his jealously of Achebe's achievements. The reference to Achebe as the father of African literature almost made Soyinka run mad with envy. grin grin

One of them won Nobel Prize and it was not Achebe. Please think before posting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 12, 2016
Adaure4ever:
Datz sweet memory, Achebe and Soyinka- two literary legends in their own unique styles.

Exactly!!!!!
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Nobody: 11:31am On Feb 12, 2016
ajebuter:
1986:
I was in form one then with a major crush on our senior prefect in form 5
And IBB was drop-dead gorgeous then.
Now, he is a geriatric filthy-rich old fart.
I can use his billions anyway.
God bless our hustle..
shocked
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Nobody: 11:32am On Feb 12, 2016
Adminisher:

One of them won Nobel Prize and it was not Achebe. Please think before posting.

Tell him, bro!!!!!
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 12, 2016
mandax:

Today can Yoruba man join Igbo man to go beg Buhari to release Nnamdi Kanu?

Kanu's offense is that the Kanu clan comes close to stopping the Buhsri clan from controlling proceeds from Crude oil in the Niger delta - nothing more.

Buhari must not mistake Kanu for Saro Wiwa. Buhari must release Kanu. Charge of treason and felony against Kanu are unfounded.

Please, don't compare Kanu's case with that of Vatsa. In the case of Vatsa, he was a prolific writer and a fine soldier and there was no evidence that he was part of the coup plotters. Soyinka, Achebe and Clark were there to plead for their fellow writer and an innocent man. In the case of Kanu, there are evidences of his felony.

1 Like

Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by mapet: 12:02pm On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:

cuvox: :
Were they ever enemies?

In fact they were very good family friends
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Nobody: 12:04pm On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:
...an HAUSA man

...a hausa man please undecided
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by aalangel(f): 12:04pm On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:

And the Hausa man they went to beg refused.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by mapet: 12:04pm On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:

It still exists. It is only in the minds of some deranged few that it does not exist. there shouldn't even be tribe when issues of justice, probity, value of human lives and the like are concerned.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Intrepid01(m): 12:07pm On Feb 12, 2016
cuvox:

Bros they were never enemies..........It was and is some over zealous fans of the two guys that kept fanning the flame of enmity.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Intrepid01(m): 12:11pm On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:

The only reason I hate IBB till date.

Caseless, BenBruce4Presdt and Frankiss44..............You all need to read Soyinka's "You must set forth at dawn"....you'll know IBB wasn't who we think he is...........Decision to kill Mamman Vatsa was vehemently opposed by IBB but Abacha insistedthey must die. Abacha was actually more powerful than IBB in the supreme military council.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by mapet: 12:14pm On Feb 12, 2016
loomer:
I beg, who be vesta?

When were you born?
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by ayusco85(m): 12:20pm On Feb 12, 2016
Stealthideals24:
Bigwigs! These people were robustly contributing in the fight against social injustices using their literary talents. Nowadays, you see self-acclaimed bigwigs in nairaland literature section churning out crime and romance stories. If your work is not reflecting your culture or motherland, but seeks to glorify alien cultures of the whites, we will see how you will be reckoned with in the literary world.

Hard truth.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Roks(m): 12:26pm On Feb 12, 2016
These were the legends of the 1900s, let's hope we have legends in literature for this century bcoz honestly I don't know of any that may get to the same height as they did
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Frankiss44(m): 12:31pm On Feb 12, 2016
Intrepid01:

Caseless, BenBruce4Presdt and Frankiss44..............You all need to read Soyinka's "You must set forth at dawn"....you'll know IBB wasn't who we think he is...........Decision to kill Mamman Vatsa was vehemently opposed by IBB but Abacha insistedthey must die. Abacha was actually more powerful than IBB in the supreme military council.

Wow... Here comes another revelation. Are you trying to say IBB was innocent in the whole Vatsa saga?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! / PDP Campaign Rally In Kaduna State Today-photos / Photos And Video From Kwara PDP Campaign Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.