Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,019 members, 7,799,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

Advice For Relocating To Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice For Relocating To Nigeria (11112 Views)

Parenting Advice For Career Women From Pastor Mrs Olamide Timi David / 4 Things To Do After You Are Engaged To Him (Advice For Ladies) / Wife To Separate From Husband For Relocating Too Much (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by yellowdiamonds: 12:14pm On Feb 12, 2016
Hello! I just need some general advice or insight. My hubby, after living abroad for 15 years, now wants to return home. I and the children have never been there. It is a big move and I am excited but nervous. What advice do you have for me? And what can I expect in terms of housing, job searching and schools for the children? I know I am asking a very broad question but I would appreciate any advice at all. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by RiffRaff: 1:24am On Feb 13, 2016
Please don't ever come to Nigeria... Nigeria is a terrible place where nothing works, filled with terrible people waiting to take advantage of you.

You know that place in the bible called "Hell" where evil people go to? It is not a place you go when you die. It is a place right here on earth, it is Nigeria. You will regret it if you relocate, you might not even live to tell the story.

I wish you goodluck.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Miami11: 1:46am On Feb 13, 2016
How about you visit with him first, access for yourself.
Go to schools, check housing and stuff then go back and make an informed decision.

6 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by TheArchangel(f): 3:37am On Feb 13, 2016
You must be outta your mind to even contemplate it.

Can we trade places?

5 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Richy4(m): 4:17am On Feb 13, 2016
It's not that bad. but the only thing that will piss you off is the power supply.. it's really epileptic to a fault...

Oh my Gush!!!!! the sound of generator blasting all over the streets would drive you nuts... But if you can pass through this, Then you are good to go

There are good private school depending on the state you want to settle in and the size of your wallet for the kids,

Accommodation and good suburbs equally depends on your wallet....

Most importantly, You have to learn how to drive the Nigerian way when you get there....Don't pick a car and jump behind the wheel. most of them are really nuts on the road...

I will see you during my retirement by God's grace

3 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by boldx(m): 6:36am On Feb 13, 2016
If you are relocating, Abuja is a very decent place to live. Great schools for your kids. Lagos is a No-No cos of crime and very serious traffic management issues.

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by peacengine(m): 7:16am On Feb 13, 2016
I recommend you try Calabar(my city) or upper class Lagos, this includes Ikeja and it's surrounding axis. Life is simple in Calabar, people are friendly, you will enjoy it.

Lagos, being a commercial city is a good place to start a business. Ignore some of the comments above. As long as you work close to your residence you will not have issues with traffic.

Also light supply especially around Ikeja and surrounding axis is quite stable, but you can be more prepared by investing in a good generator and an inverter. Also, there are many service flats with 24/7 and security, but quite expensive.

In case you are looking for property, try getting one in an estate, it's safer.

The weather is nice down here, mostly sunny, but we do experience high volume of rainfall in coastal cities.

People are very friendly in cities like Calabar and Uyo, for Lagos try making friends around your neighborhood, do not trust easily.

Shopping can be done in major shops around your area, the advantage is that you don't have to bargain the price of commodities

Schools are surplus down here, you will need to do your research to make a good choice

Your religious life is sure to improve once you relocate... By fire by force

13 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 7:44am On Feb 13, 2016
This is NOT a good time to relocate to Nigeria, trust me. Visit for a month or two? Yes but relocate permanently? Hahaha, not even if he's got a political appointment.

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 13, 2016
RiffRaff:
Please don't ever come to Nigeria... Nigeria is a terrible place where nothing works, filled with terrible people waiting to take advantage of you.

You know that place in the bible called "Hell" where evil people go to? It is not a place you go when you die. It is a place right here on earth, it is Nigeria. You will regret it if you relocate, you might not even live to tell the story.

I wish you goodluck.
cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:11am On Feb 13, 2016
Welcome to HELL esp in Lagos. Everything here is just weird .
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by yvelchstores(f): 3:00pm On Feb 13, 2016
Could I ask u few questions?
Where are u relocating from? Why did you decide to relocate? Where exactly in Nigeria do u plan to relocate to?
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by ablyguy(m): 3:17pm On Feb 13, 2016
Don't mind what these guys are saying.

Nigeria is even safer than the US to live in as a black. For housing, if you have the money I suggest u buy a terrace house or a flat in one of des estates either in Abuja or Lagos Island. I know some that offer mortgages for low interest rates (not compared to US' s rates o but affordable). there are great schools too in these locations. As for job search, i won't lie it's difficult out there but if you have a qualification that surpasses the others in the market u re ok.

3 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by PresVA: 3:55pm On Feb 13, 2016
It's funny people are replying her without knowing that Ghana, Niger, Cameroon etttccc na abroad cheesy cheesy

Op firstly, which 'abroad' are you relocating from?

4 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by InformedLola(f): 5:26pm On Feb 13, 2016
RiffRaff:

I wish you goodluck.

Please don't advise another based on your own frustrated situation. Why so much negativity? No country in the world without its flaws, and fine Nigeria has more than its fair share, but to term it hell? Maybe you need to truly experience 'hell' so that you can be more appreciative and thankful.

Would have said more, but another look at your moniker shows how negatively you rate even your own person, so I am no longer surprised you said these things about your country...

6 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by RollingFellas: 5:55pm On Feb 13, 2016
yellowdiamonds:
Hello! I just need some general advice or insight. My hubby, after living abroad for 15 years, now wants to return home. I and the children have never been there. It is a big move and I am excited but nervous. What advice do you have for me? And what can I expect in terms of housing, job searching and schools for the children? I know I am asking a very broad question but I would appreciate any advice at all. Thank you.

@OP, I was once in your shoes almost 4 years ago. And I thank God everything went fine for me. However, before moving to Nigeria, just know that as a developing country, the infrastructures are incomparable with abroad. You have to resolve within yourself to get used to unstable power supply, bad roads, African time and mentality, general poor quality education and worse of all, bad governance. But if you are focused and hardworking, you can make it in Nigeria. Nigeria has a lot of advantages that Europe and America do not have. That's why the Nigeria billionaire businessmen still prefer Nigeria. I will suggest a gradual movement back to Nigeria. Maybe your hubby could be coming regularly to Nigeria to survey things and prepare grounds before you and kids join him. I may suggest you consider Abuja. Abuja is cool and has arguably the best roads and urban organization in Nigeria. However, if u chose Abuja, just know that your hubby will have to be a businessman because well paying jobs are not easy to get. In Abuja, businesses like real estates, transport, food and ICT thrives. Also, Abuja has good schools. Lagos is another place to consider but to enjoy Lagos, u have to stay at Victoria Island. Lagos is a tough place to stay but it has more job opportunities since more companies are located there. But your hubby can base in Abuja and work or do business in Lagos and vice versa. A lot of Nigerians do it.

6 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Flexherbal(m): 5:59pm On Feb 13, 2016
Hmmmmmm!
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by LaRoyalHighness(f): 5:59am On Feb 14, 2016
Stay where you are.
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:18am On Feb 14, 2016
Every countries has its own social vices,which Nigeria isnt a exception.

To those clamouring you shouldnt relocate,ask them how they have been surviving.

Just make sure you live in a good environment,abuja,lekki etc.

As per education,there are standard school out here.

Job? hmmmmm.
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by mostyg(m): 8:43am On Feb 14, 2016
Different stroke for different people. While
some people are considering going abroad those abroad are considering coming home.

Its a good thing you are considering coming home now at your youthful age when you can still husle in Nigeria.

If you are the type thats still looking for paid job, I am not sure you are preparing to come to Nigeria. Paid job in Nigeria is like you moving from one side of a frying pan to another and not necessarily into the fire. Paid jobs would never make you wealthy.

My advice is that you should use the opportunity you have now while abroad to learn about some businesses you will come and establish at home. Adding your overseas exposures, you could make a difference from the way such businesses would be eventually run here.

You may learn about Agriculture-Green house planting, converting poultry waste to wealth, dry season vegetable planting etc.
You may also secure some contacts where you are now that may eventually be buying some agric produce from you( export) when you eventually settle in Nigeria.

If you aren't considering paid job, you have no business in Abuja or Lagos. Your home town or state capital is all you need. You may even consider a village where you will get cheap land to settle and start your agric business.

As regards your children school, that could also be a business for you. You can start your own school with your overseas exposures and imported ideas.

Like others have written, let your relocation be gradual.
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 14, 2016
These responses, though.

Is living in Nigeria that bad?
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by StPete: 7:11am On Feb 15, 2016
It's really pathetic how Nigerians describe Nigeria. OP, Nigeria is a beautiful place to stay with varying opportunities. I bet most ppl who ask u not to come to Nigeria hav dis myopic view and they most likely live in shanties.

If you want to stay in Lagos for example, I'd advice that u stay on the island (Lekki) and you'll enjoy all the mixed benefits of abroad life in Nigerian style. Also, you will find the best schools there including good road and high chances of securing a good job.
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:55am On Feb 15, 2016
@Op. Please ignore all dos cynical statement people have made about Nigeria. No doubt Nigeria is d best place to live. Over d world no place is d best place to live in. its just a matter of you adapting to where u find urself.
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by bebe2(f): 5:20pm On Feb 15, 2016
yellowdiamonds:

am not going to talkj too much,

i have lived in europe for 15yrs, my hubby 18yrs.

before i started visiting nigeria, i wanted to moveback home becos i thot things might be better,

i will have my old frds just reminiscing sha,

i visit every year now, i will never move my family to naija,

the system is BROKEN, FACT.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by RollingFellas: 5:52pm On Feb 15, 2016
bebe2:

am not going to talkj too much,

i have lived in europe for 15yrs, my hubby 18yrs.

before i started visiting nigeria, i wanted to moveback home becos i thot things might be better,

i will have my old frds just reminiscing sha,

i visit every year now, i will never move my family to naija,

the system is BROKEN, FACT.

Quite agree with you that the system is broken but not broken beyond repair. It can still be salvaged. That's why I said in my initial post that the OP have to make up his/her mind in accepting the fact that infrastructures are dilapidated, but can be revived. From the economic point, dilapidated infrastructures can sometimes create avenues for wealth. Hence, you have some foreigners leaving the comfort of their country to invest in Nigeria. Remember, Europe is already developed, hence, investments and businesses are highly regulated. Unlike Nigeria that regulations are a bit relaxed. In a nutshell, the advantages of moving back to Nigeria is huge, so also the disadvantages are also massive. It all boils down to the OP's future vision. For me, it paid off and I am happy for moving back. I wouldn't have been able to build what I have now if I was still in Europe. Besides, I had a flourishing career while in Europe. I and my family still visit Europe whenever we feel like.
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by bebe2(f): 8:45pm On Feb 15, 2016
RollingFellas:

Quite agree with you that the system is broken but not broken beyond repair. It can still be salvaged. That's why I said in my initial post that the OP have to make up his/her mind in accepting the fact that infrastructures are dilapidated, but can be revived. From the economic point, dilapidated infrastructures can sometimes create avenues for wealth. Hence, you have some foreigners leaving the comfort of their country to invest in Nigeria. Remember, Europe is already developed, hence, investments and businesses are highly regulated. Unlike Nigeria that regulations are a bit relaxed. In a nutshell, the advantages of moving back to Nigeria is huge, so also the disadvantages are also massive. It all boils down to the OP's future vision. For me, it paid off and I am happy for moving back. I wouldn't have been able to build what I have now if I was still in Europe. Besides, I had a flourishing career while in Europe. I and my family still visit Europe whenever we feel like.

Am glad it's worked out for u.

But I still stand by my point , u mentioned about infrastructure being revived, this is laughable. U first need to revive the mind of the people,

The fact that most humans in dat country have no conscience or empathy is beyond me. How are u going to revive dat?

People are incompetent, negligent in their duties and lack basic human feeling. How are u going to fix dat?

The number of people dat I know dat have died from routine surgery, even before they get opened up, common anaesthetic, they can not give . Wicked doctors, nurses, teachers. Abi u no see the teacher wey nearly use cane finish one 3yr old pikin?

Abi na university wey who sort go get admission who pass go dey house dey wait?

Abi na market woman wey u go price fish for agree on a price d moment u look away she go swap the fish wrap a different one.

Pls tell me where u are going to start.

5 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 10:18pm On Feb 15, 2016
bebe2:

Am glad it's worked out for u.

But I still stand by my point , u mentioned about infrastructure being revived, this is laughable. U first need to revive the mind of the people,

The fact that most humans in dat country have no conscience or empathy is beyond me. How are u going to revive dat?

People are incompetent, negligent in their duties and lack basic human feeling. How are u going to fix dat?

The number of people dat I know dat have died from routine surgery, even before they get opened up, common anaesthetic, they can not give . Wicked doctors, nurses
, teachers. Abi u no see the teacher wey nearly use cane finish one 3yr old pikin?

Abi na university wey who sort go get admission who pass go dey house dey wait?

Abi na market woman wey u go price fish for agree on a price d moment u look away she go swap the fish wrap a different one.

Pls tell me where u are going to start.

Bebe2. Did your cousin make it? embarassed embarassed

Suddenly just remembered her story... sad
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by bebe2(f): 10:39pm On Feb 15, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Bebe2. Did your cousin make it? embarassed embarassed

Suddenly just remembered her story... sad

My niece in law, she died oo

She was 19yrs old.

Dats not the worse part, she died in severe pain. A week before she died her dad returned her to her mum saying he is tired dat she is not getting better.

The girl call me one day crying that her mum is beating her. I was so angry, I called the mum and out of frustration spoke rudely to her, she said the girl doesn't drink her medicine until they threaten to beat her.

I apologised and begged her not to beat her but to take her to the hospital the next morning. They said they are taking her to church and the pastor said the battle has been won.

After another round of shouting and apologising they took her and said the doctors has finally given her a diagnosis, dat it's not cancer like I said but Arthritis.

That they need money to buy drugs, I sent them money promising to send more. Within 3days the girl died , the mum ran home crying . The rest of the family followed her back to the hospital only to get there to meet that the girls dad has taken the body to his village for burial.

And dat was the end of osaherumwen. cry
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 11:30pm On Feb 15, 2016
bebe2:

She was 19yrs old.

Dats not the worse part, she died in severe pain. A week before she died her dad returned her to her mum saying he is tired dat she is not getting better.

The girl call me one day crying that her mum is beating her. I was so angry, I called the mum and out of frustration spoke rudely to her, she said the girl doesn't drink her medicine until they threaten to beat her.

I apologised and begged her not to beat her but to take her to the hospital the next morning. They said they are taking her to church and the pastor said the battle has been won.

After another round of shouting and apologising they took her and said the doctors has finally given her a diagnosis, dat it's not cancer like I said but Arthritis.

That they need money to buy drugs, I sent them money promising to send more. Within 3days the girl died , the mum ran home crying . The rest of the family followed her back to the hospital only to get there to meet that the girls dad has taken the body to his village for burial.

Oh no! cry cry cry

Bebe2, I'm so sorry to read this. Such needless suffering...and ignorance displayed by her family. You really did try for that poor girl though. I remember you said were practically on the phone everyday to them, and them (in Naija) asking you (over here), unbelievable questions like which hospital in Naija to take her to. Smh...

May her soul rest in peace. At least she in no more pain.

(sigh).
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 12:08am On Feb 16, 2016
Do you have families in Nigeria?

What's your financial capacity?

If you have the cash to spend, you will live like a king in Nigeria. I will never join those encouraging you never to come to Nigeria. Nigeria remains your home. In the same Nigeria, we have fellow Nigerians in Lagos who have never been to their village because, to them, the village is an eyesore, disgusting and full of witchcraft.

I have an uncle who upon arrival from the US, came directly to his remote village to settle down. He had the money to live in Lagos, but he choose his village. I equally know some uncles in the same family that will never allow their kids come to the village from a nearby Lagos or even speak the language because, to them, the village is meant for poor locals and the wicked. I'm in the same Lagos now and sometimes I ask myself whether Shoprite, Silverbird, Ozone and Banana Island are reasons why their parents deny them the right to identify with their clan.

Some Nigerian parents have so brainwashed their kids to the extent that some children in Lagos would ask whether there is any hotel in Ilorin, Kwara state. So many misinformation and brainwashing.

You can decide to remain over there till Christ come, it won't change anything, some people equally go there from Nigeria to spend the 'weekend' and return home. If their home is really bad, they won't come back.

Adaptation is the key word. If you can adapt to the Nigerian environment, then feel free to relocate. Just be sure about your husband's intention, and don't be in a hurry to spend. Nigerians are experts in receiving but when it comes to giving, it becomes difficult... That's the spirit over here.

At all times, do not try to be independent of your family. Put them first, trust your parents more than any FRIEND. Even if your parents dupe you (chances are slim), you won't be as bothered as when you're duped by a leopard (friend).

There are good schools everywhere in the world. Goodness however is relative so you have to define all your goals according to the Nigerian context. If you prefer oversea education, then you're still on course. So many Nigerians equally go abroad to study, from Togo, to Kenya to far Asia.

Lastly, I beg you again, do not try to live independent of your immediate families in Nigeria. I'm not talking about an uncle somewhere but your immediate siblings (if you have any) and parents. They are among the few that would lose their sleep to help you overcome any hard situation.

If you're the type that loves solving problems, you will love Nigeria. However if you're the 'Instagram' type, it will take a lot of time to love Nigeria.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by bebe2(f): 12:32am On Feb 16, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Oh no! cry cry cry

Bebe2, I'm so sorry to read this. Such needless suffering...and ignorance displayed by her family. You really did try for that poor girl though. I remember you said were practically on the phone everyday to them, and them (in Naija) asking you (over here), unbelievable questions like which hospital in Naija to take her to. Smh...

May her soul rest in peace. At least she in no more pain.

(sigh).

amen ooo

and dat issue kind of broke our relationship am not as close to them as i was,

am just civil no over familiarity anymore.
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by RollingFellas: 7:13am On Feb 16, 2016
bebe2:

She was 19yrs old.

I am so sorry for your loss. From your narratives, its obvious that the girl's family has some unresolved issues. With all due respect to the departed, these kind of family brouhaha happens sometimes. It can happen anywhere in the world. Even in the USA and UK, there are deranged fellows who go on shooting spree, killing people just for fun.Crazy fellows are not limited to any particular geographic region of the world. Like someone said earlier in his post, adaptation is key. Besides, for the OP to have lived in Europe for 15 years, he/she might have become a citizen or at least have a valid resident permit. Also, he/she must have had some saved amount of money. So, its not like they will be starting from scratch financially.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 16, 2016
bebe2:

She was 19yrs old.

OMG
When you didnt say anything about it I assumed that she was better
So sorry for your loss.
I understand how frustrating and sad this must be

she has gone to rest and no longer in pain.
Im so sorry dear kiss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Heart Touching Story [must Read] Trust Me It Will Touch Ur Heart / Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? / My Friend Consistently Beats Up Her Mum!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.