Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,913 members, 7,806,653 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:55 PM

Is It Rude To Greet Our Elders In English, Instead Of Our Native Tongue? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Rude To Greet Our Elders In English, Instead Of Our Native Tongue? (748 Views)

Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down / Oyinbo People Greet Ooni Ogunwusi At A Get-Together In New York.Pics / 10 Reasons To Respect Our Elders... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is It Rude To Greet Our Elders In English, Instead Of Our Native Tongue? by Davinex(m): 12:16pm On Feb 12, 2016
Is it rude to greet our elders in english, instead of our native tongue?
Should we establish a standard for greeting elders, instead of saying "Good morning sir/ma" should we greet them in our native tongue like;
" E kaaro o"
" Ụtụtụ ọma"
" Barka da safe"
" Aje & Otofe"
" mingwo" etc
I've observed that even when we greet in our native tongue, we do tend to add the english word sir/ma to it. Is it still rude to greet them without adding the english word sir or ma? I've been wondering if it is proper and polite to greet our elders in english or native tongue. From my observation so far, If an elder knows you are of the same native and you greeted him/her in english. I think they find it rude and disrespectful of you.
I need your views on this issue my fellow country men and women. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Is It Rude To Greet Our Elders In English, Instead Of Our Native Tongue? by Ojestas(m): 1:53pm On Feb 12, 2016
Lalasticlala, Pls

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

DETAILS: New Olubadan, Saliu Adetunji, For Coronation Next Week / 3 Reasons Why You Should Give Your Ex A Second Chance / North's Vicious Circle Of Poverty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.