Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,395 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:41 PM

In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... (6289 Views)

See Man’s Reaction During Gender Reveal That His Baby Is A Girl / Naija Ladies Usually Reject Feminism When It Comes To Gender Equality.. WHY? / If Gender Equality Is Accepted, Does That Mean Men Doesn't Need To Pay For Sex? (2) (3) (4)

In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 3:54am On Feb 13, 2016
Can you imagine a world where we (women) cat-called men, undressed them with our eyes, grabbed their asses, slut-shamed, and body-shamed them. Would they even survive it?

We might read an article like this:

“Ever since I started primary school, it dawned on me that there was a difference in the way boys and girls were treated; a girl was always the class prefect. Boys were not allowed to be in charge. Boys were meant to be meek and mild, quiet and reserved.

“There was a rhyme we sang back then:

“'Daddy in the kitchen cooking rice,

Mummy in the parlour watching films,

Children in the garden playing games...’

“This song seemed to explain the reason why Mother went to work while Father stayed at home and catered to the family. The song was embedded in my psyche and that of every child at the time. The song explained that each gender had different roles, rights, expectation, and behavioural traits pertaining to them. The genders were not equal even though my Sunday school teacher had taught us that God created everyone equally.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 3:55am On Feb 13, 2016
“I got admitted into a secondary school in another town and I felt I’d get acquainted with different children from different parts of the country. I assumed I would get acquainted with other cultures. It might be that my town experienced this inequality.

"To my dismay, it turned out it was the same thing everywhere; men were not equal to women. In the school, I noticed that girls were mean to boys in a way. You see, a girl could walk up to a boy she fancied and ask that they become “friends” but boys couldn't. None of us boys wanted to be called whores. We had to keep our modesty and decency. Most importantly, I wanted to be a virgin until my wedding night. My dad had asked that I shouldn’t bring shame to the family by being a slut. How would it be if I was walking past and people said mean stuff like:

“'Look at that boy; I heard he’s no more a virgin.'

“'Is it not that boy? His manhood has entered everywhere.'

“'I heard his dick is now shrunken and blackened. He’s hoed every garden in this neighbourhood.'

“'He’s a LovePeddler. No wonder he walks like that. What do you expect after sleeping around. Look at the way he’s even dressed! The slut!'

"I didn't want to ruin my reputation. I didn't want the girls to lay claims to me. Sometimes, they lied that they have shagged someone they only hugged once. Or only shook hands with. I once heard a girl brag about screwing a boy that only said “hi” to her. Oh... I just remembered something that happened while I was in secondary school.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 3:57am On Feb 13, 2016
"A boy and a girl were called out in front of the assembly ground. Their crime was that they were handling each other in one of the classrooms after school hours. The girl had a smirk on her face. There was the boy standing in front of us with shame etched on his face. He almost broke down from the humiliation. He knew everyone was going to call him a LovePeddler. To make matters worse, other boys would make jest of him. He knew his stay in the school was over. We never heard of him again. Who would want to endure being taunted? The girl stayed and earned a 'good' reputation. This made me understand there were double standards everywhere.

"Some behaviours were tolerated from boys but not from girls.

"Boys could afford to be weak and hapless; girls were expected to be strong. They were taught to be strong. Expressing emotions is a sign of weakness for women. The society has equated being strong to being a woman. You hear things like, 'take it like a woman'. 'Women don't cry'. It wasn't even fair to stifle their humanity. Society has forgotten that one of the things that make us real... make us animate is our emotions.

"A boy wasn't expected to be too vocal; a girl had to be vocal and assertive.

"Boys could afford to openly and freely express and show affection for other boys; girls couldn't because it was a sign of weakness or being gay.

"Boys could go on and bawl a river; girls couldn't. Crying was seen as weakness. Girls don't cry. Never.

"Women could afford to sleep around and they were praised for it. It added to their ego. But if men did the same, we were called derogatory names. Sleeping around reduced our virtue. I was taught that it was the boy that lost after having sex. 'You will become a second-hand material. Who wants a man that already has a child. If you get a girl pregnant, it will affect your education. You’ll have to take care of the child. The girl will just move on with her life.'

"Women could drink and smoke freely in public but men were not allowed to do so for the fear of what the society would think about us. In addition to that, men were not expected to smoke for health reasons. They said it reduced our life-expectancy or something like that. As if we're not all human. As if it's not the same organs we have. What makes us different from them? Isn't it just the sexual organs? Because they can 'bring forth life' they are better than us?

"As I grew older, my father would get angry at me when I didn't do chores. He’d say, 'you can’t wash dishes? When you get married, is this what you’d do? Your wife will chase you out of the house.'

"Sometimes, he’d say, 'I won’t allow my future in-laws return you back because you can’t cook.'

"'You should learn to wake early. If you get married and can’t wake early to cater to your kids, it’s going to be an issue for you. You want to get your wife angry to the point that she beats you up?'

"Everything I did was for the fear of me having marital problems.

Continue reading here http://www.thefemmemedia.com/2016/02/in-alternate-universe-if-gender-roles.html
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by nedu2000(m): 5:46am On Feb 13, 2016
In the alternate universe,mummy doesn't die during wars? Mummy doesn't change the tyres when there's a flat? Mummy doesn't work day/night to provide for her family?
Be unbiased
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by Nobody: 5:54am On Feb 13, 2016
Please,I'd cat-call a man now! grin I'm already learnin' how ta whistle. wink

No.
They lay it on hard an heavy...
but under it's weight they'd crumble.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by cruzita(f): 6:25am On Feb 13, 2016
grin grin then men will how far

Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by ajokebelle(f): 6:51am On Feb 13, 2016
Brilliant.I can only imagine. But I love being a lady.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by Cutehector(m): 6:53am On Feb 13, 2016
Sorry to burst ur bubbles cheesy

Men will always be in charge, nw wake up frm Dat dream of urs and go wash ya face. grin cheesy

Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by myfantasies(f): 6:57am On Feb 13, 2016
Every guy dat passes by i will make sure to grab dere ass grin grin
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 7:14am On Feb 13, 2016
nedu2000:
In the alternate universe,mummy doesn't die during wars? Mummy doesn't change the tyres when there's a flat? Mummy doesn't work day/night to provide for her family?
Be unbiased

Oh... Women change tires. You obviously know of female mechanics and engineers.

Women fight during wars. You remember Amina of Zaria? You know of Arawelo of Somalia? You ever heard of Boudicea? Did you ever read of Joan of Arc?

There are women with careers. They slave day and night to ensure better lives for their families.

This article is focused on gender roles and double standards.

Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 7:16am On Feb 13, 2016
QueenValerie:
Please,I'd cat-call a man now! grin I'm already learnin' how ta whistle. wink

No.
They lay it on hard an heavy...
but under it's weight they'd crumble.

Heheehe... They'd die as women! Already their "strong" masculinity is fragile.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by Nobody: 7:22am On Feb 13, 2016
SunehriLasgidi:

Heheehe... They'd die as women! Already their "strong" masculinity is fragile.
You know it honestly is.An it's a shame.
It stifling ta the ones that up hold it's standards.
It dictates their manner,speach,an even their interest and style of dress.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 7:23am On Feb 13, 2016
Cutehector:
Sorry to burst ur bubbles cheesy

Men will always be in charge, nw wake up frm Dat dream of urs and go wash ya face. grin cheesy

Men will stop being in charge.

Women would soon understand that it's dumb to aspire to be equal to men; We'll aim higher.

We'll stop being victims,

We'll stop perceiving ourselves as being "susceptible".

We'll learn to stand up for ourselves by supporting other women instead of bringing them down.

While at our bosom, we'll teach our sons that they are not better or stronger than women

While at our bosom, we'll teach our daughters that they can be whatever they want to be in life without seeking validation from a patriarchal
society.

We (women) will teach our children the same thing; we'll raise them the same way.

And then, you'll watch the walls of patriarchy crumble.

Alas! It might not be any time soon. It may be in a century. Or a millennium... But, one day... it would happen.

Not just gender equality but equality on all levels.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 7:27am On Feb 13, 2016
myfantasies:
Every guy dat passes by i will make sure to grab dere ass grin grin

Please, sister. Do it. Slut-shame them if possible. "Dat guy no respect 'imsef. Jus' dey fu*k uppandan. See as 'im be." You know, stuff like that. Let's see if they'll not control their libidos.

Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by nedu2000(m): 7:30am On Feb 13, 2016
SunehriLasgidi:

Oh... Women change tires. You obviously know of female mechanics and engineers.

Women fight during wars. You remember Amina of Zaria? You know of Arawelo of Somalia? You ever heard of Boudicea? Did you ever read of Joan of Arc?

There are women with careers. They slave day and night to ensure better lives for their families.

This article is focused on gender roles and double standards.
same way men do get raped and get harassed to,in modelling men are paid lower than their female counterparts too. You know we are talking of general terms not one offs. Men die in wars,men win wars and subsequently men enjoy the spoils/rule after the wars. It's that simple
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 7:37am On Feb 13, 2016
nedu2000:
same way men do get raped and get harassed to,in modelling men are paid lower than their female counterparts too. You know we are talking of general terms not one offs. Men die in wars,men win wars and subsequently men enjoy the spoils/rule after the wars. It's that simple

Of course, I know that. Women force men to have sex against their consent. Men are paid lower than women in certain professions. We should get rid of double standards and treat everyone equality. That is what feminism is all about... Gender Equality. Men should be able to be expressive without being called weak. Women should be able to foot the bills. Boys and girls should be taught the same things.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by nedu2000(m): 8:52am On Feb 13, 2016
SunehriLasgidi:

Of course, I know that. Women force men to have sex against their consent. Men are paid lower than women in certain professions. We should get rid of double standards and treat everyone equality. That is what feminism is all about... Gender Equality. Men should be able to be expressive without being called weak. Women should be able to foot the bills. Boys and girls should be taught the same things.
but boys and girls are naturally different physically at least. What happens when your monthly visitor arrives and it comes with its issues? Is a typical woman any stronger than a typical 15 yr-old boy physical,mentally? Can the best female tennis/football/swimming/athlete compete against the best male counterpart?....naturally it's unattainable
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by 3rdlegxxx(m): 8:59am On Feb 13, 2016
Funny thread tho, but would ladies fight the wars, boko and isis? do the men related job, build houses and carry concrete, do heavy duty stuffs or are you ladies only looking at the fun side? the sex side and all, there is a lot more tho
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by myfantasies(f): 9:10am On Feb 13, 2016
SunehriLasgidi:

Please, sister. Do it. Slut-shame them if possible. "Dat guy no respect 'imsef. Jus' dey fu*k uppandan. See as 'im be." You know, stuff like that. Let's see if they'll not control their libidos.
Rotfl

U r very funny grin grin
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 1:28am On Feb 14, 2016
nedu2000:
but boys and girls are naturally different physically at least. What happens when your monthly visitor arrives and it comes with its issues? Is a typical woman any stronger than a typical 15 yr-old boy physical,mentally? Can the best female tennis/football/swimming/athlete compete against the best male counterpart?....naturally it's unattainable

There are women out there that happen to be stronger than men. Mentally... ain't bragging but I'm yet to meet a dude that measures up on an IQ level; I know they are out there. I just haven't met one.

You NEED to understand that gender equality is all about similar rights and opportunities.

Feminism is treating the genders/sexes equally.

Feminism is about who does what chore or who is stronger or who has monthly cramps.

If a boy can go to school, a girl can go to school... that is gender equality.

I'm afraid your argument isn't valid.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 1:30am On Feb 14, 2016
3rdlegxxx:
Funny thread tho, but would ladies fight the wars, boko and isis? do the men related job, build houses and carry concrete, do heavy duty stuffs or are you ladies only looking at the fun side? the sex side and all, there is a lot more tho

Women do hard jobs. Women have fought wars in the past. Only laziness would prevent a woman from doing anything. If we can push babies, we can do anything.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by nedu2000(m): 7:03am On Feb 14, 2016
SunehriLasgidi:

There are women out there that happen to be stronger than men. Mentally... ain't bragging but I'm yet to meet a dude that measures up on an IQ level; I know they are out there. I just haven't met one.

You NEED to understand that gender equality is all about similar rights and opportunities.

Feminism is treating the genders/sexes equally.

Feminism is about who does what chore or who is stronger or who has monthly cramps.

If a boy can go to school, a girl can go to school... that is gender equality.

I'm afraid your argument isn't valid.
everyone should have a sound education. In some cultures,girls are given priority when it comes to giving a child informal education.
You keep mentioning exceptions. For every queen amina there are 1,000,000 men who's fought wars. For every woman who is as mentally/physically as capable as an average man there are 1,000,000 others who will cringe under pressure and are physically incapable.
For feminism to be accepted,its advocates has to start from the dirty things that make men to be men.....feminism is like coming after the war is been won to have a share of its spoils. Fight the battles only then will you lot be taken seriously

Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by MrCork: 3:47pm On Feb 26, 2016
ajokebelle:
Brilliant.I can only imagine. Mr Cork d*****k is the biggest on nairaland & I love to Carry it on my back

...thanks babe. I No!! wink
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by haul: 6:37pm On Feb 26, 2016
"But you're not a boy So you don't have a clue How I work and pay the bills How everything I do is for you "- Robert kelly(R.kelly)
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 6:29am On Mar 01, 2016
haul:
"But you're not a boy
So you don't have a clue
How I work and pay the bills
How everything I do is for you "- Robert kelly(R.kelly)

Some women pay men's bills. Next, please?
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by haul: 6:58am On Mar 01, 2016
SunehriLasgidi:

Some women pay men's bills. Next, please?

That doesn't make you think you can act like a man, women are emotional beings hence you won't be logical in decision making when push comes to shove.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by LonePrince: 1:46pm On Mar 01, 2016
I can't wait to see this alternate world,
where women will open doors for men too.
where they will be on the same football pitch or boxing ring with men.
where men can menstruate .
where men can get pregnant if they have unprotected sex.
where we can actually know if a man is a virgin or not.
where men can be shamed for having sex before marriage.

AND IF ALL THESE ARE NOT POSSIBLE, REALLY WHERE IS GENDER EQUALITY?

I mean I'll really love to come back from a trip and my wife so happy she lifted me to the room in her arms.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by Nobody: 2:02pm On Mar 01, 2016
How the hell, did I get here........

*quietly sneaks out*
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 5:38am On Mar 02, 2016
haul:

That doesn't make you think you can act like a man, women are emotional beings hence you won't be logical in decision making when push comes to shove.

Says? Women are very logical. Very, very logical. You just haven't met the logical ones. Where have you been hiding? Go out often and meet strong-willed women. Do yourself that favour.

You don't get the idea here. We should get rid of double standards. It's as easy as that. How does that have anything to do with acting like a man?
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by haul: 7:57am On Mar 02, 2016
SunehriLasgidi:

Says? Women are very logical. Very, very logical. You just haven't met the logical ones. Where have you been hiding? Go out often and meet strong-willed women. Do yourself that favour.

You don't get the idea here. We should get rid of double standards. It's as easy as that. How does that have anything to do with acting like a man?

Young lady, I've seen through your feminism antics, you said I haven't met the logical ones right? That means the logical ones are few,rare. But pick males and you will find so many logical ones.

See, have seen women older,who are not with any man just because they feel they have it all, guess what? They are old now,so desperate to have a child that they end up fucking someone so young to them, the reason being,they are lonely,emotionally empty and they need succour! You ladies are emotional and not logic,you can disagree all you want.

You can't get rid of double standard cause your fingers are not equal, some are superior to the other, every organisation have a head, even companies as those with largest shares. Its fruitless to convince you please.
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 6:43am On Mar 10, 2016
haul:

Young lady, I've seen through your feminism antics, you said I haven't met the logical ones right? That means the logical ones are few,rare. But pick males and you will find so many logical ones.

See, have seen women older,who are not with any man just because they feel they have it all, guess what? They are old now,so desperate to have a child that they end up fucking someone so young to them, the reason being,they are lonely,emotionally empty and they need succour! You ladies are emotional and not logic,you can disagree all you want.

You can't get rid of double standard cause your fingers are not equal, some are superior to the other, every organisation have a head, even companies as those with largest shares. Its fruitless to convince you please.

Trust me, most men I have met are illogical.

Secondly, these women are not desperate. See? Not every woman has maternal instincts. Not all of us want to get married. Most of the women I know do not want to get married. Ha! Some wouldnt mind raising their kids with other women. You ever heard of women marrying women in Igbo culture? Before Westernisation and all? So, it was a thing before some people demonised our culture.

All fingers are not equal. Doesn't mean dumb men should be in charge.

Seriously, I have met really illogical men in my life. Dumb decisions and it makes you wonder like, "dude, really?"

Feminism is all about gender equality not sex equality. You know there is a salient difference between the two concepts, eh?
Re: In An Alternate Universe: If Gender Roles Were Reversed ... by lawani: 2:29pm On May 10, 2016
In the past, women used to have up to ten children, so less power to do farm work and etc, the man had to be the breadwinner, that was the beginning of patriarchy but in stable and less warlike societies, women would or maybe preferred to lead. There were many female Obas in stable Yoruba states but the more warlike ones had all men but on the overall, women will always do less work than men, less physical and intellectual work. it may haveto do with adrenaline but in spite of that, women may still be preferred to lead. For example, when women could not vote in England, they had a female monarch.

Advantage Of Having Big Boobs / The Things We See On The Internet..see How This Lady Celebrated Her Birthday / Who Is Man Enough To Grant This Lady Her Bid?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74