Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success (14347 Views)

When Conjoined Twins Go To School, Do They Get Separate Grades And Report Cards? / Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help / How To Write A Good Academic Abstract (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by sammyscholar(m): 12:43pm On Feb 13, 2016
GOOD ACADEMIC GRADES AND PERSONAL QUALITIES: key determinants of labor market success

It is so good that you have taken this audacious step! I mean, making the decision to take your education to tertiary level and even beyond. Getting this far was not easy, I know. No doubt, you have endured many rainy and sunny days. You have gone through the bustle and hassle of elementary education, basic education, secondary education; and you have even done various examinations that range from WASSCE, NECO, UTME and post UTME.

Now, here you are! An undergraduate hoping to be a graduate in the nearest few years; serves his father land, and land a ‘very well paying job’ for himself. Good, you have envisioned well! But, truth be told; all these may possibly remain a mirage, or might I simply say ‘fantasy’, if you fail to strive for good grades and work on your personal qualities and traits.
You need not be told that this country has become so fiercely competitive that only those who possess the prerequisites are making head way and getting to the peak. As a student, graduate to be, and a potential job seeker, the prerequisites to becoming successful in the corporate world are your good academic grade and personal qualities.

The growth of this country’s population has become so exponential that we now find it hard to balance our needs with resources. By implication, Jobs that were always readily available for graduates in the 70s and 80s, have become so scarce that companies now take different stringent measures to streamline the number of applicants that can apply for their openings. One of such measures is setting ‘minimum academic grade’.

Except and unless you are not interested in working under anyone; if you do, I sincerely urge you to strive for good grades in your academics. Although, a high academic grade is not an ‘end’ in itself, but it is sure a very good ‘means to an end’. A good academic grade gives you an identity and recognition. It endears you to employers and carves attention to you. Good academic grade gives you competitive edge and you will need not be disturbed by minimum grades set by employers. However, all that said, I need to sincerely tell you that getting good grades takes sheer hard work and self-discipline. It takes perseverance and self-determination. You must be ready to pay the price and give all it takes. You need to set the goal and ensure that you diligently work towards it.

Now, after your good grade has gotten you those appointments for interview, the next thing that could either make or mar you in the journey of landing a good job are your personal skills and qualities. It is good that you have good academic grade! But, beyond that, the employers want to see what you are bringing to table. They want to see your demeanor, communication prowess – the usage of the queen’s language, your analytical skill, your professional etiquette, among others. Every employee of an organization is presumed to be a brand representative of that organization. Hence, no ‘image conscious’ organization would be willing to have a mediocre has its representative.

In conclusion, evaluate yourself today and try to figure out those personal traits, if any, that can mar your success and try to do away with them. That might require that you stop some of the things you currently do or even avoid some of your friends. You need to try as much as possible to cultivate those excellent qualities and also try to put-in for skills that you know would place you in a better position in the labor market.

I pray that we will all get to the mountain top after our sojourn in our various campuses.

Beautiful day to you all.

Written by: Olatayo Samuel Oluwadamilare A.K.A Sammyscholar

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by Moblord(m): 12:49pm On Feb 13, 2016
wow FTC Happy BirthMonth to me. I would like to use this opportunity to congratulate the New PDP chairman Ali Modu Sheriff. Back 2 d mata One shouldn't just rely on his/her university certificate. Try and learn computer skills such as programming, spread sheet, e.t.c your skill is the most important cos if it is about being a graduate almost everybody looking for job have acquired that. Try and be different.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by sammyscholar(m): 5:39am On Feb 15, 2016
Moblord:
FTC in advance
and the modes are yet to do the needful
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by STENON(f): 8:33am On Feb 15, 2016
Ok, thanks
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by sammyscholar(m): 10:42pm On Feb 16, 2016
STENON:
Ok, thanks
you are welcome
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by SetrakusRa(m): 12:30am On Feb 17, 2016
Nice one OP..
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by Nobody: 9:42am On Feb 17, 2016
1. Get good grades.

2. Be intelligent.

3. Be Street smart.

4. Be sufficiently motivated. Never give up.

All these are important in these perilous times.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by cutetopsey(f): 9:43am On Feb 17, 2016
Nice
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by thefakestan: 9:44am On Feb 17, 2016
U try e no long

In Summary skip the first 2 paragraphs

ThefakeStan
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by steppin: 9:44am On Feb 17, 2016
sammyscholar:
and the modes are yet to do the needful
Mods.
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by Cutehector(m): 9:45am On Feb 17, 2016
Nonsense! angry

1 Like

Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by ShakurM(m): 9:45am On Feb 17, 2016
Well said Op. On the contrary, there's more to life than this. The main point is money no matter how subtle it is in the post. Personally for me, once you are educated and keep educating yourself I'm not talking about school it's your fault if you have a problem putting food on your table .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by Gistbaze: 9:46am On Feb 17, 2016
EFCC and FG Prepare To Go After Patience Jonathan Over N1 Trillion Fraud

http://bazenaija.com/efcc-and-fg-prepare-to-go-after-patience-jonathan-over-n1-trillion-fraud/

51 year old man arrested for molesting an 8yr old girl in Lagos, blames the devil

http://bazenaija.com/51-year-old-man-arrested-for-molesting-an-8yr-old-girl-in-lagos-blames-the-devil-2/
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by Cutesexy1(f): 9:46am On Feb 17, 2016
Cool
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by BedLam: 9:46am On Feb 17, 2016
I dropped out of school during my year one (2011)because the system wasn't for me and I had no money to travel abroad then. I was always ahead of myself (according to my lecturer ). I went to the street, started self education, and I became a strategist and a bold leader. I don't function well following people. I knew I was born great. Today I have millions in real estate and making myself proud. I have the best girlfriend who can take a bullet for me. I plan to change how people perceive education in this part of the world when I'm on the billionaire side of life. Teach yourself if the system is not for you. Education is way cheaper than you might think. See failure as a step to success. We need to start celebrating failure! So those who failed won't see the end of the world. They can learn and use their experience when they wil succeed. May our stars bless us all!

15 Likes

Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by damilareoye: 9:47am On Feb 17, 2016
great
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by datola: 9:47am On Feb 17, 2016
Very important especially in a a country like ours where certificate and it's class is rated against real life ability.
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by Mosb(m): 9:48am On Feb 17, 2016
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by McMayowa(m): 9:48am On Feb 17, 2016
It is well
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by PeterPius: 9:49am On Feb 17, 2016
Nice post op
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by DankemzI(m): 9:49am On Feb 17, 2016
Bruce Talk cool
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by techmart(m): 9:49am On Feb 17, 2016
lovely post
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 17, 2016
Nice but you forgot an important factor and that's God. If you don't have God then the qualifications and degrees are null and void because when one strong witch from your village fan your pic small, you go talk true by fire.

2 Likes

Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by ayokenny37(m): 9:51am On Feb 17, 2016
above all God's Grace and mercy
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by MzMessiTohBadt(f): 9:51am On Feb 17, 2016
#Noted
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by Masudoyindamola: 9:52am On Feb 17, 2016
NICE
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by Bluezy13(m): 9:55am On Feb 17, 2016
Cutehector:
Nonsense! angry

I perceive low grade
Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by BedLam: 9:58am On Feb 17, 2016
Suigeneris93:
Nice but you forgot an important factor and that's God. If you don't have God then the qualifications and degrees are null and void because when one strong witch from your village fan your pic small, you go talk true by fire.
I don't have God and I'm doing great. People need to see themselves as superhuman.

2 Likes

Re: Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 17, 2016
BedLam:
I don't have God and I'm doing great. People need to see themselves as superhuman.

undecided undecided

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

NDDC 2017 POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION OPEN / 2019 Commonwealth Shared Scholarship (fully Funded Scholarship) To The UK / Federal University Dutse Has Air-Conditioned Classrooms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.