Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,492 members, 7,781,476 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:09 PM

Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter (7264 Views)

Obas Council Gives Olugbo Four Days To Withdraw Statement Over Superiority / 46th Coronation Anniversary Of Oba Adeyemi, The Alaafin Of Oyo (Photos) / The Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi And His Wives At Oranyan 2016 Gbegiri Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by upsyLi(m): 6:08pm On Feb 13, 2016
I stumbled upon this online and decided to post it here so Historians in the building can prove it right/wrong.

YoruByte: SUPERIORITY BETWEEN THE ALAAFIN AND THE OONI, FACT OF THE MATTER
First of all I am immensely grateful to the two most prominent royal fathers Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamide Adeyemi III and Ooni of Ife, Oba Ogunwusi for their display of maturity and bringing together the whole Yoruba race again. I say to both revered fathers, KABIYEESI O!!! (As usual, with my chest flat on the floor). Both of them are great kings of Yoruba land and none should ever be disparaged!.
That being said, we need to clear the air on this superiority issue being bandied around by a lot of people without the sense of history. Some say The Alaafin is the supreme-most king in Yoruba land, while others say it is the Ooni. I would try to give an abridged version of the history of the two and let you, the YoruByte reader make your own decision.
So, it is an agreed fact that the progenitor of the Yoruba race is Oduduwa. Fact undisputed! It also known that Oduduwa had only one child, Okanbi. Fact Unchallenged! Furthermore, It is universally agreed that Okanbi had seven children, Fact Uncontroverted! 5 boys and 2 girls. His first-born was a princess who married his chief priest (the Onirisa) and the first male child of that union became the Olowu of Owu. The second child was also a princess, who became the mother of the Alaketu, the progenitor of the Ketu people (how these two boys [Olowu and Alaketu] who were children of princesses became kings is a story for another time). The third, a prince, became king of the Benin people. The fourth, Orangun, became the king of Ila. The fifth, the Onisabe (king of the Sabes [In Benin republic]). The sixth, Olupopo (king of the popos [Also in Benin Republic]). And the last prince was Oranmiyan. All these princes became Kings who wore crowns as distinguished from vassals who did not dare wear crowns but used coronets called Akoro. You can read up the full story of Oranmiyan from a previous post I made on https://www.facebook.com/yorubyte/posts/301107606748271:0 . I strongly advise that you read the link because it lays the foundation for this post.
Where the argument starts is with Oranmiyan. Infact, the benin people have their own arguments too with Oranmiyan but that is a story for another day. As you would have noticed from the geanealogy, the first of the Okanbi princes is the King of Benin and people have wondered why he is not said to be the most important Yoruba king. The issue is that, it is the first prince born AFTER ascension to the throne that is the crowned prince, irrespective of the existence of an elder brother.
Oranmiyan was the only son born after Okanbi ascended the throne, therefore, Oranmiyan became the crowned prince. None of his brothers contested this with him. Oranmiyan was a hunter/warrior, so he was given to expedition. After he became king in Ife (please note that up till Oranmiyan, no ife king used the title Ooni), Oranmiyan decided to expand his territories and so he set forth with some of his men to “enlarge his coast”.
From the days of Oduduwa, the king always had a chief priest who performs the daily worship of the gods of Yoruba land, the title of the priest was Oonirisa (a compressed form of Olorisha) which means the custodian of the gods. The chief priest was never from the royal family! They never had any royal blood in them. Just like in the Bible where you have the kings and the priests. (This lends credence to the fact that the yorubas must have migrated from Egypt and not Mecca. Again, this is a story for another day).
Up till this very day, ALL the gods in Ife must be worshipped DAILY, so Oranmiyan, during his days, was not going to risk the gods not being worshipped because he wanted to go expand his coast. As a matter of fact, he required the assistance of the gods to make his mission successful. In view of this, he didn’t go on his sojourn with the chief priest, he left him at home to worship the gods and be the one to give guidance to the populace he left in Ife. Oranmiyan went ahead to establish the great Oyo empire from the bank of river Niger all the way to the tip of Popo town in the now Benin Republic. The Ooni was left as the leader of the Ife people by Oranmiyan, while Oranmiyan himself remained as Alaafin of Oyo empire. Whenever the Ooni required direction on crucial matters of state, he sent messages to the Alaafin who gave INSTRUCTIONS on what to be done. As time went on, the sons of the chief priests (Oonis) started taking leadership after the demise of their fathers and they also started being kings, but they all deferred to the Alaafins in Oyo from generation to generation. As a matter of fact, there was NEVER any Ooni who challenged the authority or the superiority of the Alaafin before the immediate past Ooni, Oba Sijuade who recently ascended to the realm of the spirits. But always, the Alaafins give special recognition to two kings. One, anyone who is an Ooni, because he sits on the stool sat on by Oduduwa. Secondly, anyone who is an Oba of Benin, because he is the eldest brother. But respect and recognition does not mean we don’t know who actually owns the authority.
This is the reason why ONLY the Alaafin can give a title that cuts across all Yoruba lands. All other kings can only give a title for their lands. E.g, the king of Owu can only bestow on you the title of Balogun of OWU KINGDOM, while Alaafin can bestow on you the title of Are Ona Kakanfo of YORUBA LAND.
The prominence of the kings who are Oduduwa’s grandsons come into perspective when you hear of the story of the current Oba of benin’s visit to the Ooni. When the Oba of benin visited the OOni Sijuade and the Ooni welcomed the Oba of benin by saying “welcome my son”, the Oba of Benin, Oba Omo N’oba, gave the response to Ooni Sijuade by saying “The father can’t be the son” and they both laughed about it. But the Oba of benin indeed passed a message there.
I would like to close by giving two analogie:-.
Very few people know that the Headquarters of the Redeemed Christian church of God is not the one along Lagos-Ibadan express way, the headquarters is in Yaba in Lagos state. Now, there is a pastor in charge of the headquarters of the church but Pastor Adeboye stays at the Redeemed camp. Does this fact make the pastor at the headquarters greater than Pastor Adeboye?
If I am the Only son of my father, and my father marries a wife after the demise of my mother, In African culture, if my father dies, who has the authority to control the home and decide how the inheritance would be shared, Me or my father’s wife? But one thing is certain, no matter what a heir does, he still has to always give respect to his father’s widow. This does not mean the widow would not know who has the ultimate authority.
Now you know the history, now you can decide who the greater king is.
Ooni Ogunwusi, may your reign be peaceful and may your days be long. Alaafin Adeyemi, may your wisdom guide the Yoruba race aright and may your days not end in shame. To both of you my fathers, again I say KABIYEESI o (Now rolling to the right and rolling to the left while still postrating flat on my chest)

3 Likes

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by 1stluv(f): 6:10pm On Feb 13, 2016
History student, food is here o
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by homeboy205: 6:11pm On Feb 13, 2016
Will come back when it hits FP to read
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Nobody: 9:46am On Feb 14, 2016
Rubbish.
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by wadetaw202: 11:19am On Feb 14, 2016
saxywale:
Rubbish.

Is your comment based on facts or out of sentiment?

1 Like

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by eitsei(m): 5:01pm On Feb 14, 2016
Kilo kanmi? How has their kingship helped the rise of naira against dollar?
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Nobody: 4:56am On Feb 15, 2016
upsyLi:
As a matter of fact, there was NEVER any Ooni who challenged the authority or the superiority of the Alaafin before the immediate past Ooni, Oba Sijuade who recently ascended to the realm of the spirits.
wadetaw202:

Is your comment based on facts or out of sentiment?
As you can see, the op is a liar and he is full of sh*t.

The 1st picture is Alaafin bowing in the presence of the king before Sijuwade.
The 2nd picture is Alaafins elder brother Oni popo of popo kneeling for the present Ooni.
The 3rd picture is Akenzua II, the father of the current Oba of Benin, he is also Alaafin's elder brother visiting a past Ooni.

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by bokohalal(m): 1:28pm On Feb 15, 2016
saxywale:

The 2nd picture is Alaafins elder brother Oni popo of popo kneeling for the present Ooni.
The 3rd picture is Akenzua II, the father of the current Oba of Benin, he is also Alaafin's elder brother visiting a past Ooni.

Hehehe! Oba Akenzua, indeed. Is that the VII or the IX?
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Nobody: 4:21pm On Feb 15, 2016
bokohalal:

Hehehe! Oba Akenzua, indeed. Is that the VII or the IX?

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by upsyLi(m): 10:34pm On Feb 15, 2016
saxywale:

upsyLi:
I stumbled upon this online and decided to post it here so Historians in the building can prove it right/wrong.

I shouldn't be trading words with you but I'd like to correct you cus you'd only think others do the same thing you do.
Take your time to read the post, maybe just the first paragraph before you wag your mouth/hand to call/tag someone a liar!
PEACE!
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Nobody: 12:02am On Feb 16, 2016
upsyLi:

I shouldn't be trading words with you but I'd like to correct you cus you'd only think others do the same thing you do.
Take your time to read the post, maybe just the first paragraph before you wag your mouth/hand to call/tag someone a liar!
PEACE!

I apologize if you feel offended by my words. The article full of lies, and not newsworthy. Its common sense that oranmiyan returned to ife to reign as an ooni, this is backed up by his opa oranmiyan at Ife. Oyo becoming a military might in the 16th century doesn't make it greater than omo'noba, Owa, Oranmiyan's descendants at Ife, or onipopo. macedonia can never be greater than greece because of the exploits of alexander the great.

The royal and ancestral crown called "Ade Aa'are" worn by Oduduwa is worn once in a year by Ooni. The crown is the property of Ooni, including descendants of Oranmiyan in ife, and not any other lesser oba in yorubaland.
For over 200 years that oyo ruled as a military state, while most other yoruba state were weak militarily, not one Alaafin thought it as a good idea to overun ife and sieze oduduwa's crown. What does that tell us

Thanks and Peace.

1 Like

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Propene: 10:57am On Feb 16, 2016
a well researched and insightful post. the context and analogy clearly explained.

anyone with useful info can either buttress or refute this article

Nice work op

lalasticlala, seun this is front page worthy abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Tunami(m): 8:51pm On Feb 17, 2016
one thing i know for sure is that Ooni is the most respected yoruba tille, second to alaafin. The problem with most african histories is that most of them are based on oral and not verbal thats why we have so many confusion here and there.
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by kolamade23: 7:59pm On Oct 22, 2017
I am happy the author of this write up called history has been properly educated through good evidences in terms of previous Obas including Alaafins, Oba of benin and other Obas paying due respect to Ooni. The attached correspondence between Alaafin and Ooni will further and clearly buttress the Ooni supremacy.
(i) Let me however quickly correct the author in some things, Please note as from today that the meaning of Ooni is the one who has all land i.e, fully called Oonile, but because he is still the second in command to the God of the land and Oduduwa himself the first Ooni being a deity, so people fondly call him Oonirisa. So the concept of Ooni coming from Olorisa worshipers is not only untrue but unfortunate of a calibare of any educated mind.
(ii) Just watch out for my forthcoming book, Alaafin is actually leaving in the past called Oyo empire which is long expired, even though upon all the local military battle alaafin did around, that never has any thing to do with Ooni. Again, most people don't know what we called IFE empire which actually gave birth to oyo itself. So an empire rises and falls, nothing like Ife empire which gave rise to Oyo empire any longer, not to talk of oyo empire which is a product of Ife empire. Please read greek and Roman empire for proper education.
(iii) Ade Aare remains the only superior crown in yoruba land, and it is only Ooni that wears it , infact only once in a year. Further to this is that the momemt one Ooni dies the crown disappears and new but unique one through spiritual means is given to the new Ooni.
(iv) Again the first Alaafin is the fifth Ooni of Ife and after given birth to Ajaka the second Alaafin, and Eweka the second Oba of benin, he returned backed to his supreme base as Ooni of Ife with a proof of oranmiyan staff in Ile-Ife till today. So the question to you is that however great any of them may be, can a son be graeter than his father?
(v) Again, there is nothing any body does that does not have rewards, Alaafin conduct to his superior in general explains why the inferiors to him equally took over Ilorin from him and of course so unfortunate that he has to relocate to the present Oyo town, whereas, old Ife still remains today Ife.
(Vi) So with these little facts at your desk, who is Alaafin when we talk of Ooni?

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Olu317(m): 12:24pm On Oct 23, 2017
kolamade23:
I am happy the author of this write up called history has been properly educated through good evidences in terms of previous Obas including Alaafins, Oba of benin and other Obas paying due respect to Ooni. The attached correspondence between Alaafin and Ooni will further and clearly buttress the Ooni supremacy.
(i) Let me however quickly correct the author in some things, Please note as from today that the meaning of Ooni is the one who has all land i.e, fully called Oonile, but because he is still the second in command to the God of the land and Oduduwa himself the first Ooni being a deity, so people fondly call him Oonirisa. So the concept of Ooni coming from Olorisa worshipers is not only untrue but unfortunate of a calibare of any educated mind.
(ii) Just watch out for my forthcoming book, Alaafin is actually leaving in the past called Oyo empire which is long expired, even though upon all the local military battle alaafin did around, that never has any thing to do with Ooni. Again, most people don't know what we called IFE empire which actually gave birth to oyo itself. So an empire rises and falls, nothing like Ife empire which gave rise to Oyo empire any longer, not to talk of oyo empire which is a product of Ife empire. Please read greek and Roman empire for proper education.
(iii) Ade Aare remains the only superior crown in yoruba land, and it is only Ooni that wears it , infact only once in a year. Further to this is that the momemt one Ooni dies the crown disappears and new but unique one through spiritual means is given to the new Ooni.
(iv) Again the first Alaafin is the fifth Ooni of Ife and after given birth to Ajaka the second Alaafin, and Eweka the second Oba of benin, he returned backed to his supreme base as Ooni of Ife with a proof of oranmiyan staff in Ile-Ife till today. So the question to you is that however great any of them may be, can a son be graeter than his father?
(v) Again, there is nothing any body does that does not have rewards, Alaafin conduct to his superior in general explains why the inferiors to him equally took over Ilorin from him and of course so unfortunate that he has to relocate to the present Oyo town, whereas, old Ife still remains today Ife.
(Vi) So with these little facts at your desk, who is Alaafin when we talk of Ooni?
Excellent assertion. God bless your depth research on it.

2 Likes

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Femolacaster(m): 7:33am On Oct 25, 2017
Look at how this yeye op turned history upside down. who is Alaafin beside Ooni? U people believe that Oyo empire is still in existence abi?

1 Like

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Neyomickey1: 4:27pm On Oct 26, 2017
kolamade23:
In my quest for knowledge and clarity, is Oni of Ife among Okanbi's seven children? and if yes, what position? Thanks
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Olu317(m): 10:16pm On Nov 07, 2017
Neyomickey1:

In my quest for knowledge and clarity, is Oni of Ife among Okanbi's seven children? and if yes, what position? Thanks
Ooni is a title of the overheard king in Yoruba land . Okanbi was not the father of Ooni but the opposite. Olofin Adimula, popularly called Odu'a was the first Oooni. And Odédè (Oranmiyan) was the grandson of Odu'a, whose descendants from the lineage of Ooni Lajamisan are the ones ruling in ILE IFE.
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Neyomickey1: 7:08pm On Nov 08, 2017
Olu317:
Ooni is a title of the overheard king in Yoruba land . Okanbi was not the father of Ooni but the opposite. Olofin Adimula, popularly called Odu'a was the first Oooni. And Odédè (Oranmiyan) was the grandson of Odu'a, whose descendants from the lineage of Ooni Lajamisan are the ones ruling in ILE IFE.
Many thanks for your response. If I got you right , Oranmiyan, that is lineage is ruling Ife,is one of the Odua's seven grandchildren, what is the name of the remain six grandchildren and the town they are ruling?
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Olu317(m): 10:24pm On Nov 08, 2017
Neyomickey1:

Many thanks for your response. If I got you right , Oranmiyan, that is lineage is ruling Ife,is one of the Odua's seven grandchildren, what is the name of the remain six grandchildren and the town they are ruling?
Oranmiyan created three dynasties amongst the grandchildren of Odu'a . Let me name them ; Olowu owu (first born of Odu'a was the mother of this lineage, whose father side was Oba tala's), Then came Fagbamila who also was being known as Orangun ILE ILA(Present day ILA Orangun lineage),then One sabe of Sabe (present day in Bénin Republic), Alaketu of Ketu (Present day Ketou Bénin Republic), Oni popo of popo, Oba ILE ibinu which is known today as Bini (Owoka corruptly known in Edo as Eweka), Alaafin Oyo. However, Oranmiyan created the last two and reign as Ooni of ILE IFE after his demise, One of his great grandson called Ooni Lajamisan, perfected his own descendants to rule ILE IFE as God has destined.

1 Like

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Neyomickey1: 8:33am On Nov 09, 2017
Olu317:
Oranmiyan created three dynasties amongst the grandchildren of Odu'a . Let me name them ; Olowu owu (first born of Odu'a was the mother of this lineage, whose father side was Oba tala's), Then came Fagbamila who also was being known as Orangun ILE ILA(Present day ILA Orangun lineage),then One sabe of Sabe (present day in Bénin Republic), Alaketu of Ketu (Present day Ketou Bénin Republic), Oni popo of popo, Oba ILE ibinu which is known today as Bini (Owoka corruptly known in Edo as Eweka), Alaafin Oyo. However, Oranmiyan created the last two and reign as Ooni of ILE IFE after his demise, One of his great grandson called Ooni Lajamisan, perfected his own descendants to rule ILE IFE as God has destined.
Thanks for your depth of knowledge. From your illustrations above, you have mentioned the seven town that the seven grandchildren of Odua occupied and Ile-Ife is not directly among them,does that mean that the ruling dynasties of ile-Ife, though they occupied the exalted seat of Odua and wear Ade Are, are not directly from the seven grandchildren of Oduduwa.
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Olu317(m): 12:58pm On Nov 09, 2017
Neyomickey1:

Thanks for your depth of knowledge. From your illustrations above, you have mentioned the seven town that the seven grandchildren of Odua occupied and Ile-Ife is not directly among them,does that mean that the ruling dynasties of ile-Ife, though they occupied the exalted seat of Odua and wear Ade Are, are not directly from the seven grandchildren of Oduduwa.
They are the descendants of Oranmiyan. When Oranmiyan went back to ILE IFE during uprising after Obalufon became the Ooni. Obalufon is also a descendant of Odu'a but his mother is a servant/slave .So it became a problem, as he became the Ooni at this period. Oranmiyan came back to ILE IFE from Oyo ILE he founded because he had install his first born known as AJaka to be king. On his return, he threatened his patrilineal half cousin (brothers as naturally as Yoruba call themselves) called Obalufon and Obalufon stepped down. This was how he remarried in ILE IFE and beget new children who are his descendants. However, one of his descendants was so powerful after Oranmiyan's death, who was known as Ooni Lajamisan that he made it a way that his own descendants are the ruling family houses till today. One important aspect is that Oranmiyan descendants of ILE IFE tends to be more spiritually powerful and warriors in nature as Oranmiyan himself was. Although today things has been far better because hardly do one easily identify who is who in Yoruba land. In the olden days things were very very tough as regard ritualism. Even when you come across any one, perhaps of Oranmiyan descendants, you can hardly believe it

2 Likes

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by highque: 1:03pm On Nov 09, 2017
My advise is just to be on the watch and pray for more Yoruba unity as this is ultimate. Shun irrelevant comments for most of the commentators are either members of INDOMIE generation or SENTIMENTAL or relied on a false history handed down by corrupt elders. History usually change when a wealthy man becomes an Oba due to inherent corruption in human blood. Superiority tussle starts in Yoruba land when a richman ascend to the throne couple with creation of more states and political gimmick of divide and rule employ by politicians. All the mis-informed history texts came into existence, under Fifty years or thereabout, written by some paid historians to justified some false claims by twisting the history. Ask a trustworthy ones above/or close to hundred years and/or plus what it was like in the olden days. The hint to the truth will be revealed to the Intelligentsias.
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Neyomickey1: 3:00pm On Nov 09, 2017
Olu317:
They are the descendants of Oranmiyan. When Oranmiyan went back to ILE IFE during uprising after Obalufon became the Ooni. Obalufon is also a descendant of Odu'a but his mother is a servant/slave .So it became a problem, as he became the Ooni at this period. Oranmiyan came back to ILE IFE from Oyo ILE he founded because he had install his first born known as AJaka to be king. On his return, he threatened his patrilineal half cousin (brothers as naturally as Yoruba call themselves) called Obalufon and Obalufon stepped down. This was how he remarried in ILE IFE and beget new children who are his descendants. However, one of his descendants was so powerful after Oranmiyan's death, who was known as Ooni Lajamisan that he made it a way that his own descendants are the ruling family houses till today. One important aspect is that Oranmiyan descendants of ILE IFE tends to be more spiritually powerful and warriors in nature as Oranmiyan himself was. Although today things has been far better because hardly do one easily identify who is who in Yoruba land. In the olden days things were very very tough as regard ritualism. Even when you come across any one, perhaps of Oranmiyan descendants, you can hardly believe it
Thank you so much, your knowledge of our culture is so vast. Alafin and Oni are actually stepbrothers, then I don't see any reason for superiority contest. Agba o ni tan lori ile.

1 Like

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Olu317(m): 6:21pm On Nov 09, 2017
Neyomickey1:

Thank you so much, your knowledge of our culture is so vast. Alafin and Oni are actually stepbrothers, then I don't see any reason for superiority contest. Agba o ni tan lori ile.
Half brothers you mean . They are actually same father but different mothers,even with the first king of Yoruba descent in Bini called Oba Bini (Present day Edo state, Nigeria)
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by omonnakoda: 11:02pm On Jan 11, 2019
Originator of the Yoruba is not Oduduwa

Oduduwa was a king who came from outside to establish a dynasty among the Oyo and some other Kngdoms
before he arrived the language was there

Ifa was there and so on

He could hav come from ANYWHERE

Borno, Benin, Sudan the Sky who knows
He lived maybe 1000 years ago. People have been at Ife for thousands of years before he arrived
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 11, 2019
You’re one of the dumbest fellows I’ve ever come across but you desperately try to pass off as smart. grin keep it up my nigga. Dumb, brainless Nigerian shît
omonnakoda:
Originator of the Yoruba is not Oduduwa

Oduduwa was a king who came from outside to establish a dynasty among the Oyo and some other Kngdoms
before he arrived the language was there

Ifa was there and so on

He could hav come from ANYWHERE

Borno, Benin, Sudan the Sky who knows
He lived maybe 1000 years ago. People have been at Ife for thousands of years before he arrived
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by omonnakoda: 11:58pm On Jan 11, 2019
OdikwaRisky:
You’re one of the dumbest fellows I’ve ever come across but you desperately try to pass off as smart. grin keep it up my nigga. Dumb, brainless Nigerian shît

Chai!

Painment

Does your mother's butt hurt? Something Paining her?

That would be me

Cry baby

Oloriburuku

Ogun lo ma paa iya re

1 Like

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 12, 2019
Doesn’t change the fact that you’re an unintelligent IMp trying to pass of as smart. Empty vessel.
omonnakoda:

Chai!

Painment

Does your mother's butt hurt? Something Paining her?

That would be me

Cry baby

Oloriburuku

Ogun lo ma paa iya re
Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by omonnakoda: 12:01am On Jan 12, 2019
OdikwaRisky:
Doesn’t change the fact that you’re an unintelligent IMp trying to pass of as smart. Empty vessel.
cry cry baby running to the Mods .Shut up and pick up the soap

1 Like

Re: Superiority Between The Alaafin And The Ooni, Fact Of The Matter by ImperialYoruba: 12:42am On Jan 12, 2019
[s]
upsyLi:

YoruByte: SUPERIORITY BETWEEN THE ALAAFIN AND THE OONI, FACT OF THE MATTER
First of all I am immensely grateful to the two most prominent royal fathers Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamide Adeyemi III and Ooni of Ife, Oba Ogunwusi for their display of maturity and bringing together the whole Yoruba race again. I say to both revered fathers, KABIYEESI O!!! (As usual, with my chest flat on the floor). Both of them are great kings of Yoruba land and none should ever be disparaged!.
That being said, we need to clear the air on this superiority issue being bandied around by a lot of people without the sense of history. Some say The Alaafin is the supreme-most king in Yoruba land, while others say it is the Ooni. I would try to give an abridged version of the history of the two and let you, the YoruByte reader make your own decision.
So, it is an agreed fact that the progenitor of the Yoruba race is Oduduwa. Fact undisputed! It also known that Oduduwa had only one child, Okanbi. Fact Unchallenged! Furthermore, It is universally agreed that Okanbi had seven children, Fact Uncontroverted! 5 boys and 2 girls. His first-born was a princess who married his chief priest (the Onirisa) and the first male child of that union became the Olowu of Owu. The second child was also a princess, who became the mother of the Alaketu, the progenitor of the Ketu people (how these two boys [Olowu and Alaketu] who were children of princesses became kings is a story for another time). The third, a prince, became king of the Benin people. The fourth, Orangun, became the king of Ila. The fifth, the Onisabe (king of the Sabes [In Benin republic]). The sixth, Olupopo (king of the popos [Also in Benin Republic]). And the last prince was Oranmiyan. All these princes became Kings who wore crowns as distinguished from vassals who did not dare wear crowns but used coronets called Akoro. You can read up the full story of Oranmiyan from a previous post I made on https://www.facebook.com/yorubyte/posts/301107606748271:0 . I strongly advise that you read the link because it lays the foundation for this post.
Where the argument starts is with Oranmiyan. Infact, the benin people have their own arguments too with Oranmiyan but that is a story for another day. As you would have noticed from the geanealogy, the first of the Okanbi princes is the King of Benin and people have wondered why he is not said to be the most important Yoruba king. The issue is that, it is the first prince born AFTER ascension to the throne that is the crowned prince, irrespective of the existence of an elder brother.
Oranmiyan was the only son born after Okanbi ascended the throne, therefore, Oranmiyan became the crowned prince. None of his brothers contested this with him. Oranmiyan was a hunter/warrior, so he was given to expedition. After he became king in Ife (please note that up till Oranmiyan, no ife king used the title Ooni), Oranmiyan decided to expand his territories and so he set forth with some of his men to “enlarge his coast”.
From the days of Oduduwa, the king always had a chief priest who performs the daily worship of the gods of Yoruba land, the title of the priest was Oonirisa (a compressed form of Olorisha) which means the custodian of the gods. The chief priest was never from the royal family! They never had any royal blood in them. Just like in the Bible where you have the kings and the priests. (This lends credence to the fact that the yorubas must have migrated from Egypt and not Mecca. Again, this is a story for another day).
Up till this very day, ALL the gods in Ife must be worshipped DAILY, so Oranmiyan, during his days, was not going to risk the gods not being worshipped because he wanted to go expand his coast. As a matter of fact, he required the assistance of the gods to make his mission successful. In view of this, he didn’t go on his sojourn with the chief priest, he left him at home to worship the gods and be the one to give guidance to the populace he left in Ife. Oranmiyan went ahead to establish the great Oyo empire from the bank of river Niger all the way to the tip of Popo town in the now Benin Republic. The Ooni was left as the leader of the Ife people by Oranmiyan, while Oranmiyan himself remained as Alaafin of Oyo empire. Whenever the Ooni required direction on crucial matters of state, he sent messages to the Alaafin who gave INSTRUCTIONS on what to be done. As time went on, the sons of the chief priests (Oonis) started taking leadership after the demise of their fathers and they also started being kings, but they all deferred to the Alaafins in Oyo from generation to generation. As a matter of fact, there was NEVER any Ooni who challenged the authority or the superiority of the Alaafin before the immediate past Ooni, Oba Sijuade who recently ascended to the realm of the spirits. But always, the Alaafins give special recognition to two kings. One, anyone who is an Ooni, because he sits on the stool sat on by Oduduwa. Secondly, anyone who is an Oba of Benin, because he is the eldest brother. But respect and recognition does not mean we don’t know who actually owns the authority.
This is the reason why ONLY the Alaafin can give a title that cuts across all Yoruba lands. All other kings can only give a title for their lands. E.g, the king of Owu can only bestow on you the title of Balogun of OWU KINGDOM, while Alaafin can bestow on you the title of Are Ona Kakanfo of YORUBA LAND.
The prominence of the kings who are Oduduwa’s grandsons come into perspective when you hear of the story of the current Oba of benin’s visit to the Ooni. When the Oba of benin visited the OOni Sijuade and the Ooni welcomed the Oba of benin by saying “welcome my son”, the Oba of Benin, Oba Omo N’oba, gave the response to Ooni Sijuade by saying “The father can’t be the son” and they both laughed about it. But the Oba of benin indeed passed a message there.
I would like to close by giving two analogie:-.
Very few people know that the Headquarters of the Redeemed Christian church of God is not the one along Lagos-Ibadan express way, the headquarters is in Yaba in Lagos state. Now, there is a pastor in charge of the headquarters of the church but Pastor Adeboye stays at the Redeemed camp. Does this fact make the pastor at the headquarters greater than Pastor Adeboye?
If I am the Only son of my father, and my father marries a wife after the demise of my mother, In African culture, if my father dies, who has the authority to control the home and decide how the inheritance would be shared, Me or my father’s wife? But one thing is certain, no matter what a heir does, he still has to always give respect to his father’s widow. This does not mean the widow would not know who has the ultimate authority.
Now you know the history, now you can decide who the greater king is.
Ooni Ogunwusi, may your reign be peaceful and may your days be long. Alaafin Adeyemi, may your wisdom guide the Yoruba race aright and may your days not end in shame. To both of you my fathers, again I say KABIYEESI o (Now rolling to the right and rolling to the left while still postrating flat on my chest)
[/s]

Thrash!!!

We are looking for ways to progress our region and expand the progress to cover our entire Commonwealth, this one is talking about dividing the land.

Mmmmtcheeew, useless ikeregbe eran sisan!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Somali People So Beautiful? / Susan Wenger,adunni Olorisa Is Dead ! / Secrets Of Anambra Wealth,what You Dont Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.