Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,881 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:15 AM

Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" (22579 Views)

“My Girlfriend Snatched My Abroad-Based Boyfriend, Now They Are Getting Married” / All Her Friends Are Boys. Can Any Girl Explain This? / Man Standing Alone While His Friends Are Busy With Their Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Nobody: 7:26pm On Feb 13, 2016
One would expect this from ladies in their 30s, but my observation is that ladies in their 20s also experience this.

There are lots of wrong decisions that could be takdn just because "all your friends are getting married". Many have rushed into the marriage band wagon so they don't get left out a d quickly jumped out.

So here are pointers that could help, especially for the ladies.

1. Think about why you want to get married. You may know you're ready for the ring...but what exactly is it about marriage that is important to you? Do a little soul-searching and decide if you just want the big party all your friends are having or if there's more to it than that (we're guessing there is). It can be good to articulate those reasons to your partner if you're discussing your own wedding timeline, or just to remind yourself that wanting to be married isn't silly or frivolous.

2. Reward yourself for going to wedding showers, bachelorette parties, and weddings. Pick out a killer new dress, get a blowout and a pedi, buy that new mascara you've been wanting to try...the point is to give yourself something to look forward to during wedding season! Feeling good about yourself can really help get you through the small talk, shower games, and awkward questions about when you're getting engaged.

3. Try not to hate on weddings and marriage. Look, you don't have to love weddings as much as we do, but we hope you can agree that they are often beautiful rituals that mean a lot to those involved. So stop rolling your eyes about the Mason jars (does that really make you feel better?) and try to focus on the couple and their happiness.

4. Stay off of social media. Maybe 150 years ago, people had All the Feelings after reading ye olde engagement announcements in the newspaper...but our guess is the rise of the engagement ring selfie on Facebook has made things considerably harder for twentysomethings who are eager to get married. If you need to hide a few friends on FB or avoid your Instagram feed for a few days, that's OK!

5. Be honest about how you feel. It's completely understandable if you're a little jealous of your friends' weddings (or just the fact that they've found everlasting love). So own those feelings! If you're feeling a little bummed that your BFF just got engaged, you can say to her, "I am so, SO excited for you, but to be honest, your engagement brings up some things I'm not happy with in my own life/relationship and so I'm trying to work through that. I'll totally be here for you during the planning process, but I hope you can understand why sometimes I feel a bit bummed out!" You shouldn't ask her to make huge accommodations for you, but it's better to be up front about why you're feeling a little sulky.

6. Remember that every person and every couple is different. Listen: your life is awesome. We know that. You know that. Your marital status is such a small part of who you are, and while your future wedding sometimes feels like the most important thing, it's not. At all. So focus on your amazing friends, your cool job, your sweet new puppy, or the cool person you just started dating who maybe will turn into something more. Enjoy your life for what it is now, and be patient with the process.

Loverlies, how did you deal when you were feeling a little bummed about your friends' weddings?

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by tbagjames(m): 7:28pm On Feb 13, 2016
Chai grin,I can't believe my eyes. I just made first to comment on FrontPage after all my years of struggle. This year sure has a lot for me. Happy Valentine. Do I still need to ask you guys to show some love?

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by missingrib(f): 7:29pm On Feb 13, 2016
issorait
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by agarawu23(m): 7:30pm On Feb 13, 2016
Hmm....
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by dumont: 7:30pm On Feb 13, 2016
Marry when you're ready, worry about it later.

5 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by ShakurM(m): 7:59pm On Feb 13, 2016
"I am so, SO excited for you, but to be honest, your engagement brings up some things I'm not happy with in my own life/relationship and so I'm trying to work through that. I'll totally be here for you during the planning process, but I hope you can understand why sometimes I feel a bit bummed out!"

You better avoid friends that tell you the above

13 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Nobody: 8:05pm On Feb 13, 2016
ShakurM:
"I am so, SO excited for you, but to be honest, your engagement brings up some things I'm not happy with in my own life/relationship and so I'm trying to work through that. I'll totally be here for you during the planning process, but I hope you can understand why sometimes I feel a bit bummed out!"

You better avoid friends that tell you the above

I feel if you can't tell this to your friend, then y'all are not really friends.

Your friend should know your own dating life or relationship isn't as sweet as hers, so some sensitivity and love should be shown.

Don't go all "bridezilla" and not expect bad belle friends.

Isn't it better you know how she is really feeling than for her to bottle it up inside?

You fit even hook her up with one of ur fiancé close friends wey be good guy and also single.

18 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by ShakurM(m): 8:16pm On Feb 13, 2016
IamMissMarvel:

I feel if you can't tell this to your friend, then y'all are not really friends.

Your friend should know your own dating life or relationship isn't as sweet as hers, so some sensitivity and love should be shown.

Isn't it better you know how she is really feeling than for her to bottle it up inside?

You fit even hook her up with one of ur fiancé close friends wey be good guy and also single.
Don't blame your friends for your unmarried status, why tell her about your relationship when she's getting married soon on one of the happiest days of her life, don’t spoil someone's mood. Save that discussion for another day biko. I really do not want friends like that

16 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by firstking01(m): 8:39pm On Feb 13, 2016
Ok, the thread is for the ladies....walks outer thread with heads and shoulders high cool
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Nobody: 9:12pm On Feb 13, 2016
ShakurM:
Don't blame your friends for your unmarried status, why tell her about your relationship when she's getting married soon on one of the happiest days of her life, don’t spoil someone's mood. Save that discussion for another day biko. I really do not want friends like that

I never said you should blame o.

3 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Lero15(m): 11:43pm On Feb 13, 2016
Lalasticlala this is good for frontpage.

Well composed, IamMissMarvel
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by LoremIpsum: 11:58pm On Feb 13, 2016
Thank God I was born a man!

3 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Nobody: 11:58pm On Feb 13, 2016
For the ladies only, I'm out.
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Adesiji77: 11:59pm On Feb 13, 2016
Ladies only?

Anyway, noted smiley

Well done IamMissMarvel/Kennygee cheesy
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by ritababe(f): 12:00am On Feb 14, 2016
4. Stay off of social media. Maybe 150 years
ago, people had All the Feelings after reading
ye olde engagement announcements in the
newspaper...but our guess is the rise of the
engagement ring selfie on Facebook has
made things considerably harder for
twentysomethings who are eager to get
married. If you need to hide a few friends on
FB or avoid your Instagram feed for a few
days, that's OK!

this can't work or else you want to kill social media, and by the way they may find the right person there.

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Deivid10(m): 12:00am On Feb 14, 2016
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by yemstok(m): 12:01am On Feb 14, 2016
I don go wedding taya
many saturday don pass
and I never marry
oluwa provide a boo o!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by OCTAVO: 12:02am On Feb 14, 2016
Ok
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Nobody: 12:02am On Feb 14, 2016
ShakurM:
recommended!

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Spanner4(m): 12:03am On Feb 14, 2016
cheesy grin
Sensible post I hv read, don't knw d Op can be sensible like dis

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by tosyne2much(m): 12:05am On Feb 14, 2016
Right on track... Very insightful write-up

OP, I throway salute ooo cool
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Nobody: 12:05am On Feb 14, 2016
Okay. smiley
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Nobody: 12:05am On Feb 14, 2016
Buhari Has Already Been Teaching Nigerians "The Tips",With This Wretched Economy, How Many Single People Do U Think Will Be Getting Married Under "The Dogs N The Baboons Will Be Soaked In Blood" Philosopher Regime? >> Beta Think Of Tips On How To Survive The Fight Against Kwaruption,Because If Ur Wedding Is Too Colourful,EFCC go bundle into their van like that oga 4 maritime agency.

3 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Nobody: 12:07am On Feb 14, 2016
LoremIpsum:
Thank God I was born a man!
lol..

don't said that. we do undergo many hardship and responsibilities in life.

if you are a man and survived up to the age of 40-70, start thanking God
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by 5starmilitant: 12:09am On Feb 14, 2016
firstking01:
Ok, the thread is for the ladies....walks outer thread with heads and shoulders high cool

You mean like this? grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by 5starmilitant: 12:11am On Feb 14, 2016
yemstok:
I don go wedding taya
many saturday don pass
and I never marry
oluwa provide a boo o!

Yemi From your post, I can categorically tell you that your problem is money and not boo.
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by odinese(m): 12:17am On Feb 14, 2016
[size=20pt]why do ladies love posting
Stuffs like these, that deals with relationships and stuff??..... Don't get it thou, coz we guys
Have no time for bullshits like this.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by saintfizzo(m): 12:20am On Feb 14, 2016
I seem to af miss road.... Roundabout Turn!!!! *RunsOuttaThread
Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Nobody: 12:21am On Feb 14, 2016
IamMissMarvel:

you tell your friend your relationship status in this country we are!

the very wrong move in life, even ya FEMALE friend when hook up won't even tell you the man she is dating just to protect her own investment. by doing this you will only expect more pains and INSULT (especially the female folks)

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive "All My Friends Are Getting Married" by Nobody: 12:23am On Feb 14, 2016
sonofananimal:
lol..

don't SAID that. we do undergo many hardship and responsibilities in life.

if you are a man and survived up to the age of 40-70, start thanking God
oga ur english n ur moniker go well >> DONT 'SAID' THAT,ur english teacher needs to be fired with immediate effect.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Have You Ever Lost A Good Partner Because Of Pride / I Was Conducting An Experiment Says Lady Who Was Looking For Husband On Twitter / Why Women Do Not Date Nice Guys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.