Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box (15120 Views)

My 2003 Camry Automatic Gear Problem / I Need To Fix My Gear Box. / How Much Is Camry Engine And Gear Box 1999 Or 2000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 11:26am On Feb 15, 2016
Most persons would tell you the following about my Dear country Men / Ladies
1. they do not like to read – Detail Phobic
2. Da Boss syndrome
a. where they let a primary school certified mechanic to tell them what is good for their vehicle
b. you hear them say, ‘I would use a toks for just 1year, within which I would not bother to do any oil change and when 1year is over, I DISPOSE the car as nigerian used or toks if I am lucky'
STAY TUNED

1 Like

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 12:05pm On Feb 15, 2016
Acknowledge the following
1. that you are now in possession of a USED VEHICLE which probably may have passed the dealers warranty.
2. Previous owner (in this case Onyibo)may or may not have done all that is needed to keep the vehicle in top shape
3. The Chairman who drove the car via the bush to beat customs or robbers may have driven the vehicle like it was stolen – HARD AND FAST
4. In most cases the Car may have been parked for a long time since it was last used by the Onyibo owner and as its typical with mechanical parts long period of idleness is bad for mechanical systems.

1 Like

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 12:12pm On Feb 15, 2016
With the above in mind You the need to pay more attention to your vehicle via preventive maintenance to avoid huge future expenses.

As far as Automatic Transmission Goes the following should be done:

1. Have an app that would alert you on upcoming oil change
2. If it is a Nigerian Used vehicle assume that the wrong transmission has been used to top the gear box oil over time or do an oil change and start afresh with an oil that has appreciable shelve life and meets manufacturers standard.
3. Follow the 20 – 80 rule in transmission oil change. Which means 20% of old Oil remains while just 80% is drained out. So in the case of correcting the wrong transmission, you do the first change with the right oil after draining all the old oil. Ensure its gauges, drive the car for a short while say 2days and have the oil drained then do a second change and take note of the milage of the vehicle when the second change was done
N/B Allow gear box oil to cool before total oil change
4. If your Automatic transmission shifts with a jeck feel discontinue use of the car until you have changed to the right oil, also if your transmission can not shift into Drive, you probably would need to have it checked by a PROFESSIONAL before considering gearbox change.
5. NEVER tow a vehicle with an auto transmission
N/B When in doubt verify from vehicle manual if your vehicles Automatic transmission is designed to tow as most front wheel drive sedans are not.
6. When attempting to drive out of a mud or low traction ground shit to D1 or L on your transmission. For newer vehicles that have just PRND use the semi automatic and shift to First Gear to get your vehicle out of the mud. DO NOT stress the vehicle while its in Drive hoping to harder you accelerate would get the vehicle out.
7. Ensure your cooling system has ONLY coolant (which are of two kinds premix and concentrated) and not just water (as is the practice in Nigeria). Reason been that newer automatic transmissions run the ATF through the radiator of the vehicle to via Heat transfer cool the transmission oil. High temperature is generated in the gear box and this is the MAIN REASON why the right transmission oil grade with which the gear box was designed be used.
8. Feel your car when driving…if you want to do a quick get a way or over take DO NOT just floor the gas pedal rather take your feet off the pedal engage the gear from D to D3 then gas it mid way to give you a thrust when clear of the vehicle you just over took, take your feet off the pedal and return to D.
Or in newer automatic transmission before the over take switch to semi automatic and engage the 3rd Gear and MOVE!
9. When you go through off road tarrain (like most nigerian highways are) be mindful that your gear box case is aluminum and if you hit a ditch/pot hole you could crack the gear box bottom plate and have oil sip through.
10. Use an app that would notify you to check you gear oil every week and do an oil change within the recommended mileage or oil age which ever comes first.

updated 22.02.2016

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by Baylam(m): 10:15pm On Feb 15, 2016
Thanks so much, This will educate most of us

4 Likes

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 6:44am On Feb 17, 2016
Baylam:
Thanks so much, This will educate most of us

You welcome
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MhizEndy(f): 5:02pm On Feb 21, 2016
Up Chelsea!

2 Likes

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by lonelydora: 5:03pm On Feb 21, 2016
I'm here to learn

1 Like

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by thefakestan: 5:05pm On Feb 21, 2016
Nice one OP!

Hope people will pay attention.

ThefakeStan

1 Like

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by bitingcool: 5:06pm On Feb 21, 2016
Thank you for the tips. Can you please drop a link to an app for oil change alerts?
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by Walexz02(m): 5:11pm On Feb 21, 2016
Lols for this naija we don't have time for reading terms and condition o.
which is a very bad habit!
I could remember some years back in school when I bought a new calculator and was reading the manual, my friends were like har! Efiwe! You too like to dey read, shey this one na text book ni bla bla bla....
Long story short, they couldn't close their mouth when I was performing magic with my calculator writing data analysis exam cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by Nicepoker(m): 5:12pm On Feb 21, 2016
MhizEndy:
Up Chelsea!
for dream
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by nickxtra(m): 5:14pm On Feb 21, 2016
bitingcool:
Thank you for the tips. Can you please drop a link to an app for oil change alerts?
Same request, pls
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by sinkhole: 5:25pm On Feb 21, 2016
bitingcool:
I follow join request!
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by vani86: 5:27pm On Feb 21, 2016
OP, please give me an example of an app to use in monitoring d ATF change.
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by chuckichukwuka(m): 5:29pm On Feb 21, 2016
I hate automatic gearbox prefer manual

4 Likes

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by 4nobody4every1: 5:35pm On Feb 21, 2016
nice
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by Maxiyke: 5:39pm On Feb 21, 2016
Nice one. Thanks bro.
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by ndcide(m): 5:41pm On Feb 21, 2016
all this one na wahala. that's why i love manual transmission. i don't have Auto. So why cant we tow the car, when it develops issues on the high way.
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by wesleyel: 5:44pm On Feb 21, 2016
Thanks
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by Dottore: 5:55pm On Feb 21, 2016
@OP you did an appreciable job but you forgot to mention anything about axle oil. Some actually think that it's only cars with rear wheel drives that have axle oil compartment. The truth is that front wheel drive cars also have compartments for Axle oil aside the normal ATF. most times the oil that goes into the axle oil is SAE 90 it's thicker than ATF. Some mechanics are ignorant of this but believe me a constant check and regular change of this oil helps the life of your auto transmission.
We have a Camry that arrived with 116,000km in it's odometer now it's running into 258,000km yet the gearbox and engine are still very healthy because of regular checks and maintenance.

4 Likes

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by mite: 5:58pm On Feb 21, 2016
Automatic transmission are the easiest to maintain. Whenever you go for basic service, kindly ask your technician to check the colour and viscosity of the oil and should change the oil and filter as at when due.

For more info;
Tulz Auto
MRS filling station,
85 Muritala Mohammed way,
Citiway, Yaba, Lagos
(almost opp the Presbyterian Church)
Http://allcarstuffs..com
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by innoachukw(m): 5:58pm On Feb 21, 2016
Okay
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by Etinosajay(m): 5:59pm On Feb 21, 2016
ndcide:
all this one na wahala. that's why i love manual transmission. i don't have Auto. So why cant we tow the car, when it develops issues on the high way.

Don't use an AUTO transmission vehicle in towing any other vehicle.

You understand now?

3 Likes

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by 124mumsy: 6:02pm On Feb 21, 2016
how many nairalander have a car I don,t mean motor oh?
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by JoBabs(m): 6:09pm On Feb 21, 2016
Ok
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by princefaculty(m): 6:09pm On Feb 21, 2016
Nice one there.

What apps can one use to detect when oil change is due?

Thanks
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by ndcide(m): 6:36pm On Feb 21, 2016
Etinosajay:

Don't use an AUTO transmission vehicle in towing any other vehicle.

You understand now?

Okay.. I get it now.
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by Smarte724(m): 6:39pm On Feb 21, 2016
This ur write up is inconclusive until u give us a a link to d app

1 Like

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by Smooyis(m): 6:52pm On Feb 21, 2016
Very educative.
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by bandol(m): 6:55pm On Feb 21, 2016
How do we know when its time to change the gear oil
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by Kashif(m): 7:04pm On Feb 21, 2016
A lot of misinformation.
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by seenter84: 7:07pm On Feb 21, 2016
Lesson learned

(1) (2) (Reply)

The History And Evolution Of The Nissan Pathfinder / A Visit To GAZZUZZ Workshop (With Pics) / My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.