Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,287 members, 7,780,652 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:45 PM

Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? (22182 Views)

Top 7 Blue Collar Jobs Unemployed Nigerian Graduates Should Consider / Expect A Regret Mail From Nigerian Breweries If You Fail This Test / Sad But True Fact Most Nigerian Graduates Face Everyday(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by Jadekitana(f): 12:30pm On Feb 17, 2016
I joined this forum not long ago and whenever i'm less busy I peruse through different sections to see what's happening around the world. However I wouldn't be content if I didn't create a thread on what i'v noticed in this Job/vacancy section.

First I noticed we have lots of jobless graduates in Nigeria which makes me really sad and most people don't really have support from families to start a lucrative business unlike myself who had that on a platter of gold courtesy my folks. However if I had my way I would have employed others! That's a topic for another day.

In this job section I noticed a particular wicked trend. A lot of graduates have this myopic mentality of not disclosing information to others,i don't know if they feel that's good or the economy has made them so greedy. You see someone create a topic like:

Hello all,i got an aptitude test/interview from olofofo company how do I prepare....... and then a helpless graduate quickly asks "how did u apply,pls share the link let me apply as well" then the OP goes automatically mute! Some even reluctantly say "I can't remember how I applied, sha check their website" a job u recently applied for,you can't remember?

In life there nothing like "na me go carry first" everybody has a different race entirely,if you can't help others,how do u expect others to help you? Greed doesn't pay! In my school days all the greedy ones who dealt with their colleagues to make 1st class are still struggling today,while the average ones who felt relegated are excelling in big companies. The "oversabi's" and snitches are now so ashamed to mix with others after graduation.

If you want to excel in life drop the self-centred attitude,it doesn't pay. Help your fellow graduates,post links for jobs,post the e-mails you submitted to,if u hear of latest recruitment help others,be like Debbie who takes out time to help others even in her busy life. It's not when your offer letter drops,you rush here to post "nairalanders help me praise jah jehovah emmanuel, offer letter just dropped" that's a very selfish attitude.

The lady who introduced me to fashion business was someone I allowed to squat with me during NYSC. Today she has 2 boutiques on the island,helped me secure a space and sent many customers to patronise me. You never know what your good would do for you in future, Nigerian graduates help one another,the race isn't for the swift, selfishness doesn't guarantee you that position,hoarding info wouldn't make you the only person destined for the job, be NICE.

A word they say is enough for the wise.

487 Likes 49 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by damostic2005: 12:39pm On Feb 17, 2016
Op, Almight God will bless you..well said..God will deliver the selfish once amongst us..amen

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by Jadekitana(f): 12:44pm On Feb 17, 2016
damostic2005:
Op, Almight God will bless you..well said..God will deliver the selfish once amongst us..amen

Seriously may God open their eyes to see beyond their present situation. Left for me, I enjoy helping others,maybe whenever i'm less busy i'd visit some job sites to post jobs here,let God use that to open more doors for me.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by funkyglitz: 12:47pm On Feb 17, 2016
Op you are on point.... some will go as far as calling a good job a scam just for you to be absent on the day of the interview maybe making him/her the last man standing soooo immature sha.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by Jadekitana(f): 12:48pm On Feb 17, 2016
funkyglitz:
Op you are on point.... some will go as far as calling a good job a scam just for you to be absent on the day of the interview maybe making him/her the last man standing soooo immature sha.

You can imagine the extent of wickedness! Yet he/she wants to excel.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by 2sex(m): 12:55pm On Feb 17, 2016
can I give you a hug?

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by 2sex(m): 12:58pm On Feb 17, 2016
I don't really know a place like this exist.

Just signup at most job boards/blog which has newsletters.

Everyday, they will send you job vacancies across the country and you can apply to the one that suits you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by Udochee(m): 1:01pm On Feb 17, 2016
i just believe life should be one-for-all,all-for-one

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by missKiffy(f): 1:17pm On Feb 17, 2016
Well you are right, some will ask the OP to post the details so that they can gatecrash, the OP will go mute. If you post it and they bounce the person, how is it ur headache but at least do ur part to help others

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by hob(m): 2:12pm On Feb 17, 2016
Well Said

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by IsaacBuchi(m): 2:13pm On Feb 17, 2016
[b] I don't think that nairalanders or graduates here are that selfish. Obviously there are instances when such responses of, "how did you apply and all that.." exist but which does not equate or supersede the number of good a lot of youths/nairalanders are doing on this platform.

First of all such selfish responses are sometimes meant to be a joke or the responders way of saying I have never been to such interview or a want in words of what to reply.

Secondly there are several threads that has been opened on this forum hy not only working class but by fellow job seekers who wants to assist others as well, and these are done by giving selfless time and devotion to other peoples concern.

Apart from looking for jobs this forum has taught a lot of people on how to manage career, employment and other business affairs. This remains handy when some finally gets job offers. Sometimes it turns boring when someone repeatedly ask things that has been overly hammered. I won't say it wrong to ask but I sure bet that honest queries always has someone kind in nairaland to help.

What we see and what affects us are guided by where we turn the glasses we put on. @juniorportland [/b]

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by wiseone28: 2:15pm On Feb 17, 2016
So true

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by brainzdh(m): 3:18pm On Feb 17, 2016
Wise words! Don't mind them, they don't know that no matter how big an eye is, two eyes are better than one.

*Jadekitana, are you a Mortal Kombat fan?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by watzz: 3:53pm On Feb 17, 2016
Op is so right, I wonder why people can be selfish and self centered as regards job openings. last year October immediately after NYSC I created a group for ex corp members added a lot I could find, friends and unknown persons, I made it a responsibility to research available job openings and post links on the group, helped group members to update C.V's, cover letters etc.. after a while I noticed 99% of group members are mute, never post job links but share several interview experiences and asked for advise, I reminded everyone on the need to share job vacancy they get but till now, most people are just been greedy, withholding information etc.. I pray our mentality changes about issues like this.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Feb 17, 2016
OP I partially agree with this finding of yours!

I have had instances where I pm'd other peeps on here and asked questions and the response was swift n well meaning. A lot of joblanders are really helpful I must say, it would be unwise to read this and keep mute cos personally I can attest to this.

They don't hold back info when you probe personally. Some peeps don't really like so much publicity and would rather give a banal response when probed on the open spaces.

In fact, their helpful attitude has equally rubbed off on me that whenever I get a pm asking for help or answers to questions, I try to pay the kindness forward...

Please don't be quick to lump sum us all!

Nice write up tho!!!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by delightz(m): 3:59pm On Feb 17, 2016
Wow.....
I actually thought i was the only one noticing that childish acts. Some people only come here to seek information and ask for help. But they will never answer any question or help anyone.
Its so pathetic that some people are so greedy with information. ......even to themselves.
Make them nor worry. God will bless everyone at the appropriate time.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by mytime24(f): 4:32pm On Feb 17, 2016
True talk op

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by ITSAWRAPP: 4:34pm On Feb 17, 2016
Interesting
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by tolexy007(m): 4:34pm On Feb 17, 2016
smileylet me book space first

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by diana158(m): 4:35pm On Feb 17, 2016
k
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by kennyman2000(m): 4:35pm On Feb 17, 2016
Hmmmmm....
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by scribble: 4:35pm On Feb 17, 2016
Your topic Reminds me of all my staff

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:36pm On Feb 17, 2016
grin
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by Prodigee: 4:37pm On Feb 17, 2016
Madam you are just ranting...abeg swerve! undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by canalily(m): 4:37pm On Feb 17, 2016
Sister howundecided pls underline the word sale fishgrin
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by ronald4lif(m): 4:37pm On Feb 17, 2016
I used to assume the OP is a troll but it appears I was wrong.

This attitude cuts across employed graduates and unemployed graduates. The average Nigerian is self-centred and greedy, and hardly equips others to become self-reliant and independent. They would rather prefer you remain static in life and gives you little money now and then.

And it's not due to benevolence that he gives you money or assist you but coz he want to have dominion over you. I've known this for far too long. sad

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by donigspain(m): 4:38pm On Feb 17, 2016
Mathematically, there is nothing like selfishness in that behaviour undecided undecided

1 job opening : 5 applications
That's 1/5 x 100 = 20% chance of making it.
grin grin

1 job opening : 200 applications
That's 1/200 x 100 = 0.5% chance of making it.
cry cry

#JustTrolling

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by vboss(m): 4:39pm On Feb 17, 2016
how many ppl have you helped @ op

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by PrinceAlex001(m): 4:42pm On Feb 17, 2016
Different people, Different personality, Different Opinion. As for me, Nairalanders in the Jobs/vacancies section have been very helpful...
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Feb 17, 2016
Lemme go think about this....
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Very Selfish Yet Expect A Miracle? by ANBAKO: 4:43pm On Feb 17, 2016
when I was in Lagos NYSC camp years back, I had the opportunity to meet some recruiters who came to recruit for an American conglomerate just because I directed them to where they wanted to go in the camp. They gave me the hint about Graduate Trainee program which I shared with friends and camp room mates.
They called people for interview except me but after several weeks that my guys had been interviewed, I was finally called for interview and fortunately/unfortunately I was the only one recruited among them all. The organization recruited only 7 people.

And till today, I am still grateful for that opportunity.

Bottom line: BEING THE ONLY CANDIDATE DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU THE JOB!!!
If the job is destined to be your....surely it will be yours

Do good for good to come your way.

28 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tell Us Your Job Through The Part Of Your Body You Use The Most. / 5 Things You Should Never Do While Waiting To Hear Back About A Job / Inec Recruiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.