Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

Buying A Used Car? Use This Check-list - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Buying A Used Car? Use This Check-list (1467 Views)

Do You Know 5 Must-check Parts When Buying A Used Car? / Buying A Used Car? These Tips May Save You Some Heartbreaks!!! / How To Inspect A Used Car Before Buying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Buying A Used Car? Use This Check-list by zodd(m): 6:11pm On Feb 17, 2016
Before I buy "anything" of substantial value I do a research. I believe the following should be useful for those seeking to buy a "used" 8th Generation Accord or any other Used car.

Do take note that if you do not have the expertise to verify the following - go with a Trusted mechanic who has no interest in the sale of the vehicle.
Also the check-list below leans towards the purchase a used 8th Generation Accord (2008-2012), as that's what I plan to buy; it is by no means exhaustive - feel free to add yours.

Questions To Ask:
The first important thing is to check the service records: was the engine oil changed regularly?
Has the timing belt in the engine been replaced?
When was the transmission fluid changed?
What other maintenance services have been performed?

Checking the used car history records

Examine the Car:
Walk around the car to see any signs of damage, or areas that look like they have been repainted.
When checking inside, try if all door locks work
Check the Shocks: Press down on the corners of the car to check the shock absorbers and see if they are adequate. (If the car takes awhile to settle after being pushed down on, it could indicate the shocks are not working properly.)
Check the engine oil level, if the level is low, it might be an indication that it consumes oil. Pay attention to the ground around the vehicle. If you see oil puddles or coolant, take a mental note of this and be sure to find out the source.
look underneath and see if there are puddles of fluids.
Open up the hood of the car and look inside. The car's engine probably has been washed beforehand, making it hard to see signs of leaks, but look closely. If there are large leaks, you will see them, even with a washed engine.
Pay attention to aspects, such as worn hoses, belts, and the car radiator.

Engine Examination:
Get in the car and start the engine. Pay attention to how long the car takes to start up.
The best way to detect engine issues is to start it cold: if you notice the engine rattles when started, or there is a blue smoke from exhaust, avoid the car.
If you see a "check engine" light inside of the car, then walk away.
While the engine is on, open the hood and peak inside to see if you hear any odd sounds, such as hissing or grinding, which may indicate problems with the alternator, hose, or bearing. Be sure to check the oil level.

Take a Test Drive:
Take the car out on different surfaces to see how it performs,how it handles bumps and other road conditions.
During a test drive, watch out for noises. Test driving on the highway may help, as many issues and noises are only noticeable at higher speed.
Take Note of Problems with front wheel bearings - Symptoms could be:
Random pops and creaks while going over bumps
Tires squealing all the time at pretty low speeds

Take a trusted mechanic along with you for added security

You may be able to talk the dealer or private seller into reducing the price if you recognize any problems that need attention.

Some brands have specific issues, the above covers the basics.

Credit: http://www.autos.com/ , http://www.samarins.com/reviews/accord_08.html , http://www.ebay.com/gds/Used-Honda-Accord-Buying-Guide-/10000000177744530/g.html , http://www.driveaccord.net/

5 Likes

Re: Buying A Used Car? Use This Check-list by MPVGoddess: 10:22am On Mar 03, 2017
Good post!

Let me post a steal from other website.

The signal to noise can be fierce, but I’ve learned that you don’t buy a car that doesn’t attract a following. You then troll the forums on that car. Of course, folks only post bad things, but I knew “timing chain” and “wheel bearings” for the caddy, and when the VW began to spit parts, I knew “TSB and DPF”. The GM was built after the chain issue and there was oil change history, but wheel bearings are now 3/4 replaced.

If the car doesn’t attract a sophisticated audience, then you won’t get the fixes for common problems and sources of uprated/fixed parts.

Some things will never happen to you. I have ONE radiator on my BMW in 300k. Forum says I should be on #4. Timing Chains are often a result of low oil and delayed changes, and you can track the changes via forums. I had the Torque Converter problem with the Honda, also commonly reported on forums-and I was able to go to the dealer with that knowledge…if I hadn’t pointed out the TSB, learned of on the forums, I’d have paid for the fix. (local Acura shop is horrible)

If you care about that car, you will at least go into the used world with knowledge.

I’d not know that gaskets are a problem with subaru, but when a non-automotive friend called with just that problem, I was able to tell him it was a known issue, for him, Subaru had already said “too bad” having goodwilled the fix 15k ago, and he still had a car with oil leaks and no recourse. He doesn’t read forums, isn’t a geek, and was shocked “they knew” and “they all (a bunch anyway) do that”.

The reactions of folks to when stuff goes wrong is interesting too. Someone can’t get bluetooth to work, they lose it and it is 25x posts. Other folks go in for an engine swap, two posts. Still, when I considered a diesel BMW, the information in the forums saved me a LOT of money……that 335d was a good price, before you have to rebuild the top end due to EGR issues-a 10K day, and folks posted the repair orders so you knew exactly what was the problem.

source: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/03/used-cars-avoid-like-plague/

Morale:

Which mechanic ( kazeem or educated) has the time to go through forum posts for all the makes/models he services?

As you know in Nigeria, there is very hardly specialization

You are your first mechanic

This is the age of information

It is your car

You will see the check engine light first and it will bother you

You will have to deal with driveability problems day in day out

You will be the one out of a vehicle is the ride spends more time in the shop than out

You will be the one paying for repairs

If all of this is going to be on you, you had better do a good job of choosing what ride it is going to be!

It all boils down to information!

(1) (Reply)

Advice Needed On My 1st LOW BUDGET Car / 406 Ew10 Fuel Pump Price / Can This 1964 Meecedes Benz Be Refurbished

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.