Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,875 members, 7,806,509 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn (25688 Views)

Nationwide Blackout Imminent As Power Generation Falls Below 3,000MW / Jonathan Didn’t Order Electricity Tariff Reversal, Ex-nerc Chair Replies Fashola / FG Opposes Electricity Tariff Reversal, Backs NERC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by ijustdey: 7:42am On Feb 18, 2016
The country may be thrown into a blackout in the near future if the advice by the Senate to the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission to reverse the new electricity tariffs is heeded, power distribution companies have said.

This is coming as NERC stated that it had not received any official communication from the National Assembly on the advice to stop the implementation of the revised tariffs.

The Senate had on Tuesday advised the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing, NERC and the electricity distribution companies not to go ahead with the about 45 per cent increase in tariffs, but should revert to the former rates.

But the Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors stated that the Senate intervention was capable of crumbling the power industry, arguing that the country risked future blackouts if it was forced to go back to the old tariff regime.

The Executive Director, ANED, Mr. Sunday Oduntan, told our correspondent that the Senate’s sentiment was not just against the electricity distribution firms, but the entire power sector.

He said, “There is a value chain in this business and the tariff is not just for the Discos. This increment in tariff is for the generation companies and the gas suppliers. The gas suppliers are not part of the power sector, but they will not supply gas to our power stations if we don’t pay them.

“So, we’ve been talking about appropriate pricing of this product, and now somebody is playing politics with electricity. It is unacceptable and this has a lot of consequences. The first major consequence is darkness. If there’s no way we can sustain the industry, it will collapse. And now, the generator mafias will be happy because their expensive trade will thrive.

“As it is now, I don’t know who the Senate is working for. If they are working for the Nigerian people, they will not be coming up with things that will have adverse consequences on Nigerians. We are not rich; we are not making profits; we are not smiling to the banks. We view their position with a very strong sense of pity for Nigerians who will bear the consequence.”

Oduntan said the Senate itself was highly indebted to the power firms and did not talk about clearing its debt to the companies before saying that tariffs should not be increased.

He added, “People talk of the Discos, but the power sector consists of generation, transmission and distribution companies.

We are just the collection agency and I’m shocked that the Senate is not even referring to the debt owed the Discos.

“Many of them don’t pay their electricity bills. But all they are saying now is that we should go back to the dark ages of PHCN/NEPA and that is what will happen if they insist.”

On the way forward, Oduntan said the power firms were willing to engage the lawmakers, as he stressed that operators in the sector were to meet with the Senate on Monday.

“We are more than willing to educate them on this issue. But we are surprised, shocked and disappointed that even some of those that you have met and showed the figures still go back to their hallowed chamber and then talk as if they are in another country,” he noted.

Senior officials of NERC told our correspondent that the agency had yet to receive any formal communication from the Senate on the reversal to the former tariffs.

While the acting Chief Executive Officer/Head, NERC, Dr. Anthony Akah, stated that the commission heard the news from the media, another top official who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the matter, said, “I can confirm to you that neither the CEO nor the commission have received any official communication on that issue from the Senate.”

www.punchng.com/tariff-reversal-nationwide-blackout-looms-power-firms-warn/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by SMARTKOSSY: 7:44am On Feb 18, 2016
Kossyblaze

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by kingbasil: 8:34am On Feb 18, 2016
This is by fire by force increment whether the populace agrees or not. It's so shameful that when countries are boosting their power output Upto 12,000 MW nigeria's sustenance depends on a paltry 4,000+ MW.

What happens to the monies charged the customers(the common man in the streets) with the old format cos we know it's no small cheese Why can't these monies be used to increase the output by say 1000 MW Why can't all these pretencious experts work to add value to development of the sector

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Inspectahdeck(m): 8:41am On Feb 18, 2016
"Somebody is playing politics with electricity". I think this is the most stupid and sentimental seeking statement in 2016.

How can you buy or startup a business expecting to finance with customer's money? I blame the privatisation process of PHCN, it took awhile before they settled the FG.

For almost 2yrs, they charged 750 Naira as fixed charge per month (either you use their product or not). please multiply 750 by 1m people= 750,000,000..... and the greedy people are hoping for a 45% increase in tariff to operate.

What about estimated bills? What they do is the company zones a particular amount to an area or district and expect the marketers to distribute charges randomly to their customers. That is why a lot of people receive outrageous bills and they are reluctant to share meter to customers.

My advise to them, go to banks and seek loans with a plan on how to service and repay same. Like I always tell Ikeja electricity staffs, "do not forget you are a private company and can be sued. No light equal no finance and Government might revoke ownership".

For a week and half no light in my area. please share your experience in your area

106 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by phemmie06(m): 8:42am On Feb 18, 2016
Where is my at up a?

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by abacus(m): 8:50am On Feb 18, 2016
When Baba acts now, some 'never do good' will start that good man a tyrant.

Budget office treatment is in offing here too..

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by comos: 8:52am On Feb 18, 2016
power before increment

6 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by obailala(m): 9:08am On Feb 18, 2016
comos:
power before increment
Where would the power come from when the power companies claim they dont have enough revenue to even operate the present facilities, let alone improve?

I would rather say, "pre-paid meters before increment." With that, we know we only pay for what we use.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by phlemzy: 9:32am On Feb 18, 2016
Inspectahdeck:
"Somebody is playing politics with electricity". I think this is the most stupid and sentimental seeking statement in 2016.

How can you buy or startup a business expecting to finance with customer's money? I blame the privatisation process of PHCN, it took awhile before they settled the FG.

For almost 2yrs, they charged 750 Naira as fixed charge per month (either you use their product or not). please multiply 750 by 1m people= 750,000,000..... and the greedy people are hoping for a 45% increase in tariff to operate.

What about estimated bills? What they do is the company zones a particular amount to an area or district and expect the marketers to distribute charges randomly to their customers. That is why a lot of people receive outrageous bills and they are reluctant to share meter to customers.

My advise to them, go to banks and seek loans with a plan on how to service and repay same. Like I always tell Ikeja electricity staffs, "do not forget you are a private company and can be sued. No light equal no finance and Government might revoke ownership".

For a week and half no light in my area. please share your experience in your area
The earlier you realise that the current power sector cannot be sustained with the removal of fixed charges and reversal back to old rates,the better. Discos will not do a business without making profits. They need money pay workers' salaries,pay Gencos for the power supplied them, a fraction of their revenues will go to the transmission line maintenance firms, and even out of this revenue,they will still have to pay for the power losses due to the aging transmission lines. At start off point years back,they have loan facilities obtained by them which they still have to service. Getting another loan may not be a right choice for them when they know that the revenue they'll make will not sustain the running of the business. Its very unfortunate that we may keep hovering around 2000-4500MW at generation level since we all are not ready to tolerate any form of increment.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Bevista: 9:44am On Feb 18, 2016
Let's put things in perspective a bit.
---
Apart from Transmission, the FG has completely divested from Generation and Distribution of power. The private companies managing the GENCOs and DISCOs are likely not to make any long term investment in the sector if pricing of their services is going to always be politicized rather than regulated by the appropriate agency.
---
15 years ago, even with very low network penetration, we allowed GSM companies to charge Nigerians N25k for SIM cards and N50/min for calls. The companies were excited because that price compensated for their investment risk. They invested billions of dollars in infrastructure, employing thousands of Nigerians and supporting thousands of vendors. Today, SIM cards are less than N100 and calls are less than N7/min. Today, you can practically receive calls from every nook and cranny of the country.
---
My point is that the sooner we accept the initial discomfort of high price, the sooner we will get to the point of constant power and lower tariffs. If we were courageous enough to do this ten years ago, we would probably be generating over 20,000MW today with a much reduced tariff. Postpone it and you postpone progress and development. The price we are not willing to pay today will inadvertently be paid (even more) through high cost of manufacturing and running businesses due to inadequate power supply.
---
The actions of the Senate can only work when trying to force the hand of the Executive, not arm twisting private businesses. The private companies have already invested some money in paying for licenses and setting up offices. GENCOs have invested in buying or building power plants. Investments on further infrastructure will need to come from customer receipts. You don't expect them to go to their bank to borrow money for long term investment without clarity on revenue expectations.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by idupaul: 9:49am On Feb 18, 2016
I never taught I would say this but after hearing this cunning man speak I think it's high time the privatization be reversed because it's clear the owners of the discos are nothing but cut throat criminals ..Imagine they spent just 300 billion naira buying PHCN assets and immediately got a bailout of 500 billion from govt to get running, meaning the made an instant profit of 200 billion naira, for 2 years plus they collected an illegal monthly service charge of 750 for electricity not delivered and still there has been no remarkable increment in Electricity available. .Now this Idiot is threatening to throw the country into darkness if we don't pay him 45 percent more but funnily I haven't had light for 4 days straight up till now .so what darkness is the idiot speaking of.

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by olaolulazio(m): 9:51am On Feb 18, 2016
They must be mad!

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by harmless011: 9:51am On Feb 18, 2016
We never had light before so I wonder which light are they planning to take, light from the sun or moon. Stop this cheap blackmail and get to work, nonsense.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Nobody: 9:52am On Feb 18, 2016
I remain optimistic.

4 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by gebest: 9:53am On Feb 18, 2016
d poor masses are always at d recieving end, how can dey ask us to pay more for darkness instead of reducing it. God pls save us from d hand of dos without conscience. sure, some people are really heartless nd Fashola is not an exemption.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by vickylala239: 9:53am On Feb 18, 2016
Okkk.

4 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by INTERMAN: 9:53am On Feb 18, 2016
Is there no TOTAL BLACK OUT before? I think they need their brain examined @Nepa

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Ucheosefoh(m): 9:53am On Feb 18, 2016
We are used to it stupid people, give 24/7 light and come back for hike in tariff

4 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by femiranking28(m): 9:53am On Feb 18, 2016
Which of the darkness are they talking about if it's the one I know lol we are used to it no light heat wan finished person.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Noblebrown7(m): 9:53am On Feb 18, 2016
Na new thinq?

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by eluquenson(m): 9:54am On Feb 18, 2016
Hmm, Nigeria in a deep shit.

I pray we overcome this hardship cos a time will come it won't be unbearable for the people.

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by bxcode(m): 9:55am On Feb 18, 2016
Looms or already in blackout
For the first time in over 3 years we have not seen light for some 5 days now in my area, an area known for constant power supply cry

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by humilitynike: 9:56am On Feb 18, 2016
dis ppl r nothing but thiefs

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by ednut1(m): 9:56am On Feb 18, 2016
nigeria needs to be recolonised abeg or our govt nd institutions outsourced to other countries. Joke of a nation

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by maxiuc(m): 9:56am On Feb 18, 2016
Court order in nigeria is now a mere command, buhari the impunity that will emerge in ur government will force u to resign

3 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by admax(m): 9:57am On Feb 18, 2016
The senators really needs to be educated on this as most of them don't understand the dynamics. I can't blame them because they only understand politics.

Nigerians are paying the 2nd cheapest electricity in Africa but want to enjoy 24hrs light as if the equipment needed for electricity generation or transmission are cheap!

Azura a 450MW Genco in Edo will spend over $1.2billion to build their plant, sell to NBET who will give Discos who will sell for stipends while battling with consumer's who don't pay bills and illegal connections etc so Discos won't be able to pay NBET who won't pay Azura (Genco) who won't be able to pay their bank loans (and for gas supply)!

Solution: Increase electricity tariff and cancel estimated billing to consumers. Disconnect those that don't pay. This will bring confidence to the market and attract investors!

People are paying 100 times more than the tariff for running their generators!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by kennyman2000(m): 9:57am On Feb 18, 2016
Hmmmmm

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Futbolpredikts: 9:58am On Feb 18, 2016
Theses people wanna raise their capital without our hard earned sweat

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by repogirl(f): 9:58am On Feb 18, 2016
Is it not the same blackout we are currently experiencing

4 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by steppin: 9:58am On Feb 18, 2016
We saw this coming. Another cartel doing their best to hold the country to ransom.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Should Stop Mocking Democracy With ‘ojuju Calabar’ Trial – Fayose / Governor Fayose Upgrades Fajuyi Memorial Park, Ado Ekiti (Photos) / MASSOB’s 19th Anniversary Bloody: 2 Killed, 15 Injured, 10 Arrested In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.