Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,811 members, 7,806,279 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! (11751 Views)

See What A Nigerian Prison In Kaduna Looks Like (photos) / Gowon's Son JackMusa Released From Prison In U.S / So Skinny! See What Obasanjo Looks Like After Being Released From Prison In 1998 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Epiphany(m): 12:26pm On Jul 09, 2009
A waste of time and money. They should look for an uninhabited island somewhere and ship all the offenders off to the island - just like they did with what is known as Australia today!
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by SamMilla1(m): 12:33pm On Jul 09, 2009
AngieFan:

A military base is a totally different kettle of fish from a prison that will be used to house convicted criminals in their own country. Also the only Nigerians that will be shipped back to serve their time in such a prison will be those who are in the UK illegally.
Legal Nigerians residents in the UK who have committed a crime are also deported but from what I have gathered they are most times deported as free men once they have served their sentences and will have no need for such a prison.

Agreed, they are not responsible for building Nigerian prisons but they are responsible for Nigerians who have been tried and convicted in their courts and who have no right to be in the UK. Hence, the offer to build a decent prison to house them in their own country. Do you know how many Nigerians in UK prisons use the state of Nigerian prisons as an excuse not to be deported?

That being said I don’t want my tax money being used to build a prison in Nigeria because there are plenty of things that can be done with that money in the UK. If it were up to me I would simply ship the criminals on the day of conviction on the next thing smoking to Nigeria with a quickness!

Lol, you sound like you so much love and favour deportations.
There are illegal immigrants everywhere in the world.
Even the so called united states.
And you must understand that whatever they do is illegal since they cannot get work permit.
Thus making them unintentional criminals.
I have seen places where people run out of war and hunger raveged areas to seek for asylum in europe and they are denied and told to leave.
Leave to where?

You see, We dont need British to build us prisons.
We need them to build us plants that could generate work for people.
We need schools,
If any body commit anything in Britain,
let them lock him up over there.
Nigeria is not a unified country which means the idea will be biased.

They welcome money from our criminal politicians and they want to use it to build prison for illegal immigrants
WHO LEFT THE CUNTRY IN THE FIRST PLACE BECAUSE OF THE POLITICIANS,
Rubish!

DO YOU SEE ANY KIND OF JUSTICE IN THAT? DIVINE OR PHYSICAL
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by hackney(m): 12:47pm On Jul 09, 2009
Please give the British a break pls.
Their country is infested with illegal Nigerian criminals and they have run out of prison space.
Other countries accept their criminals who return to continue their sentences but IN NIGERIA THE PRISONS ARE WORSE THAN HELL SO THEY ARE ACTUALLY AIDING TO ENSURE THAT EVEN THOUGH THESE CRIMINALS ARE ILLEGAL, THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS WHO DESERVE TO SERVE THEIR SENTENCES IN A HUMANE ENVIRONMENT.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT?

They are not asking you to house British criminals but YOUR OWN CITIZENS.
Someone mentioned them building schools for you.well i don't think any Govt official will have the shame to even suggest that in any related debate.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by ScanLess: 12:51pm On Jul 09, 2009
Britain has never been a blessing to Nigeria, from the 1914 till date they have not done us any good. imagine what GBP1m can do for Nigerian youths. if they are honest about helping nigerians they come and build a university here with British standards and give free tuition to Nigerian students. if want to stop crime fight the source of the crime. they cant sit down there wining and dining with the oppressor of the nigerian masses and then turn around to talk nonsense about illegal immigrants. they should put those prisoners to work in the prisons to generate money, that is the only solution , they should give them work to do for the food they are eating there. Bible says that he who would not work should not eat, being in prison should never stop any body from working , companies can come and rent their services. they used to do such here in Nigeria, when they used prisoners to do cleaning and waste disposal. they should convert those prisons to labour camps and stop yakking. for God's sake why waste tax payers money on lawbreakers while law abiding citizens are living in lack.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Shinatu: 12:55pm On Jul 09, 2009
This reminds me of something (not a similar story to this though) I read about a girl (above 18 yrs) that was appealing to the US government to stay in the US. I  had started feeling sorry for the girl until I saw the reason she stated for not wanting to come back to Nigeria-Genital Mutilation.  She even claimed that her sister who left the US voluntarily two years before then had to run to Ghana to escape GM because the family wanted to do it to her immediately she arrived Nigeria.

This girl is Yoruba and I stand to be corrected, there is no where in Yoruba land where female adults are still being mutilated.No one grabs/forces any adult in Yoruba land for this act.

What pained me about the story is that she was ready to destroy the image of the people of her tribe back in Nigeria, they could be falsely regarded as animals for all she cared, as long as she stayed in America.

Now back to the issue at hand. Like someone already mentioned illegal Nigerians immigrants in UK prisons are criminals and should be sent back to Nigeria. I do not know what the Human rights requirements are but this sounds fair to me.

Someone allows you to enter her country, you refuse to leave when you say you would, o.k no problem, you stay, but instead of keeping the law of the land you decide to kill, steal and distroy, you are now saying your prisons back home are not good enough for you? You must be joking.

The British are not claiming to help Nigeria, they are looking for ways to solve their own problem, will you blame them for that? We should be looking for ways to solve ours too!
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by hackney(m): 12:57pm On Jul 09, 2009
@scanless

Which means that all the countries that have Nigerian criminals should come and do something in Nigeria?
While nigeria itself is doing what?
You people are not yet serious.

This is why we may continue to be corrupt; this concentration on what can be 'obtained' from every siutuation.

You are asking what £1m can do for Nigerian youths and looking at someone else's pocket while your govt is sitting there?
This is ridiculous!!

Look o , the quality of life when the british were there is better than now.
Never mind you having some decent life; what about the rest of nigerians.
Then there was no slums or piles of dirt and essential commodities were shared out free.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by ScanLess: 1:13pm On Jul 09, 2009
Hackney
The question is why are Nigerians escaping to UK, even illegally? if Britain had supported good governance in Nigeria in practice not in  theory will things have been so bad? first they banded different ethnic nationalities with different agendas into one unholy contraption called FRN,all for their own imperialist gain. Next they left the country in the hands of a bunch of idiots who have been running down our lives since 1960. then they oppose honest and practical solutions to the gateway of corruption they opened in 1960.do you remember when they stopped Umaru Diko from being brought back to Nigeria to face trail for his wickedness while in power with Shagari?. look we cannot solve the present problems in Nigeria today without going down to the foundation of the country, and who laid that faulty foundation ?- Imperialist Britain. look, illegal immigrants to UK is not what Nigeria should bothered with now but illegal funds escape to UK, yes, let them ban all corrupt politician from entering UK, like Obama has banned some Cameroonian politicians from entering US. let them stop them from owing properties in UK with the money they steal from us, then we can consider them serious
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by mayrho(m): 1:16pm On Jul 09, 2009
awon oloshi awon olosi people dey hung people no get job na prison dem won build
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 1:20pm On Jul 09, 2009
ScanLess:

Hackney
The question is why are Nigerians escaping to UK, even illegally? if Britain had supported good governance in Nigeria in practice not in  theory will things have been so bad? first they banded different ethnic nationalities with different agendas into one unholy contraption called FRN,all for their own imperialist gain.

Trust Nigerians to heap blame on the Brits while ignoring their own short-comings.
It was Thatcher that imposed Sani Abacha on us to steal $5 billion, right?
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by congoshine(m): 1:29pm On Jul 09, 2009
~Sauron~:

Trust Nigerians to heap blame on the Brits while ignoring their own short-comings.
not necessarily,but at the very least 50% of stolen funds end up or pass through the UK ! They only started acting after 911.
Almost every local govt chairman has a house in Europe or Us,all their children school in abroad,so they have a part in the blame my friend.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 1:30pm On Jul 09, 2009
congoshine:

not necessarily,but at the very least 50% of stolen funds end up or pass through the UK ! They only started acting after 911

So how do you expect the Brits to prove stolen funds?
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by hackney(m): 1:33pm On Jul 09, 2009
@scanless

We asked the Brits to leave, Hong-Kong didn't.
Compare and contrast
(Note we have more natural resources).

The few that were enlightened at the time saw the opportunity to plunder so they pushed the whites out.
Now look at you and i ; it's shameful

@congoshine.
Are we talking of their banks now or are we still on Govt policies?
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by congoshine(m): 1:35pm On Jul 09, 2009
~Sauron~:

So how do you expect the Brits to prove stolen funds?
By asking all the normal questions they ask other 'lesser' nigerians - proof of source of funds.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by congoshine(m): 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2009
hackney:

@congoshine.
Are we talking of their banks now or are we still on Govt policies?
Govt sets regulatory policy. . . .money laundering laws etc
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 1:38pm On Jul 09, 2009
congoshine:

By asking all the normal questions they ask other 'lesser' nigerians - proof of source of funds.

And you seriously think they don't ask these questions? What planet are you from?
Of course, Nigerian Politicians are smart and they engage enough mules to help distribute their loot.
U actually think Billions of pounds are shipped in by one rich Chief?
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by hackney(m): 1:45pm On Jul 09, 2009
Exactly.
I 've actually been aproached to help open an account with barclays for this money laundering rubbish.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by SamMilla1(m): 1:46pm On Jul 09, 2009
~Sauron~:

It seems some of you are very much ignorant of how the problem of Nigeria came to be.
We cannot solve it if we do not start from the beginning.
If they want to help us, They know what to do.

Building us prisons wont solve nothing because people will still travel to stay illegally to the UK.

There is no road from Lagos to UK, which means that those guys there went with Visas.
Some travelled to study there but since you cant get a permit to stay,
You automatically become Illegal. Like it or not.
Those are our University Grads, Our skilled workers, Our traders and co.

If you beat the traffic red light and get caught or enter train When you dont have money(ticket),
You will be asked for ID, which of course you dont have.
When you dont give someone asylum, or work permit,
How do you expect the person to survive if not to do illegal things like trade drugs?
That is how they become the illegal Criminals, Not like they rob Banks or kidnapp for ransom.

How many sons and daughters of the corrupt politicians are in jail there? and why are they not?

AND YES, IT WAS THATCHER  WHO SENT ABACHA TO STEAL OUR MONEY
BECAUSE THE BANK OF ENGLAND WOULD HAVE GLADLY ACCEPT THE MONEY WITHOUT QUESTIONS.

Britain is our Father whether they like it or not, So if they want to help us, They should.

STOP ACCEPTING LOOTS FROM OUR POLITICIANS,
STOP THE POLITICIANS CHILDREN FROM LIVING IN LONDON WHILE THEIR PARENTS STAY IN ABUJA.
STOP THE POLITICIANS FROM VISITING THEIR HOSPITALS FOR CHECK UP
(what is the hope of common man, if the leaders fly to health check up with jets?)
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 1:48pm On Jul 09, 2009
hackney:

Exactly.
I 've actually been aproached to help open an account with barclays for this money laundering rubbish.

May God Bless You. . . . .
A lot of cats just come online to spew balderdash cos they like to see their own prints on a forum.

Sam Milla:

It seems some of you are very much ignorant of how the problem of Nigeria came to be.
We cannot solve it if we do not start from the beginning.
If they want to help us, They know what to do.

I cannot believe what i am reading here especially from Sam Milla.
Nigeria is now independent. . . . . .There's a limit to how the UK can interfere in Nigeria's business.
When they begged Abacha to spare Ken Saro-Wiwa in 95, did he yield to them?

Building us prisons wont solve nothing because people will still travel to stay illegally to the UK.

They are not trying to solve Nigeria's problems.
The UK are trying to ELIMINATE the option Prisoners take advantage of: HUMAN RIGHT ACT.

There is no road from Lagos to UK, which means that those guys there went with Visas.
Some travelled to study there but since you cant get a permit to stay,
You automatically become Illegal. Like it or not.
Those are our University Grads, Our skilled workers, Our traders and co.

After studying, the law requires such students to go back to Nigeria and help the country develop with the skills they acquired here.

If you beat the traffic red light and get caught or enter train When you dont have money(ticket),
You will be asked for ID, which of course you dont have.
When you dont give someone asylum, or work permit,
How do you expect the person to survive if not to do illegal things like trade drugs?
That is how they become the illegal Criminals, Not like they rob Banks or kidnapp for ransom.

Why become a criminal when you have the option to go back to Nigeria and work with the certificate you have bagged?

How many sons and daughters of the corrupt politicians are in jail there? and why are they not?

The Law does not favour anyone.
If the kids of the corrupt politicians commit a crime, they shall be thrown to jail.
Unfortunately, most of them are well-behaved here and after completing their degrees, they go back home and work.

AND YES, IT WAS THATCHER  WHO SENT ABACHA TO STEAL OUR MONEY
BECAUSE THE BANK OF ENGLAND WOULD HAVE GLADLY ACCEPT THE MONEY WITHOUT QUESTIONS.
Britain is our Father whether they like it or not, So if they want to help us, They should.

Britain ain't our father. . . . . . .They used to be our colonial masters.
They granted us our independence since 1960 and that means Nigeria is now on her own.
Nigeria are not the only country Britain colonised. . . . . .Ghana and many other smaller countries are doing well without any assistance from the Brits. . . . .why not Nigeria?

STOP ACCEPTING LOOTS FROM OUR POLITICIANS,
STOP THE POLITICIANS CHILDREN FROM LIVING IN LONDON WHILE THEIR PARENTS STAY IN ABUJA.
STOP THE POLITICIANS FROM VISITING THEIR HOSPITALS FOR CHECK UP
(what is the hope of common man, if the leaders fly to health check up with jets?)

How are they supposed to prove so so money is LOOT?
Stop Politician's children from staying in the UK to study? Don't be silly.
UK schools are open to all and sundry . . . . .If you can afford it, why not?
Stopping some set of people from coming to their country will BREACH their human rights.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by congoshine(m): 1:53pm On Jul 09, 2009
~Sauron~:

And you seriously think they don't ask these questions? What planet are you from?
Of course, Nigerian Politicians are smart and they engage enough mules to help distribute their loot.
I respectfully disagree,no matter how smart Nigerians are,the oyinbos can very well play the game. the fact is that they've always turned the blind eye cos for their OWN econmic benefits.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by pafegs(m): 1:55pm On Jul 09, 2009
Haba Presido1, wat do u think will happen to The funds wen it gets back to ur country? And wat do you think will happen to the illegal nigerians wen they are sent back?
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by JustGood(m): 2:06pm On Jul 09, 2009
We should not wait for UK to do things for us. UK has its own interests to protect and it is up to us to find ways of protecting our own interests too
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 09, 2009
Angiefan

I agree with most of your points.  But the blunt truth is that most nigerian prisons are not fit for human habitation.
Hence any Nigerian convict can legitimately argue against deportation on human rights grounds.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by mechris: 2:18pm On Jul 09, 2009
This is simply laughable.Wen last did Britain do any thing constructive in nigeria? they may have reasoned that the prison project will be amake up.It will back fire.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 2:21pm On Jul 09, 2009
congoshine:

I respectfully disagree,no matter how smart Nigerians are,the oyinbos can very well play the game. the fact is that they've always turned the blind eye cos for their OWN econmic benefits.

Why would they turn the blind eye to crime?

In a situation where a man is sending 20 kids to Imperial college to study. . . .how would UK authorities prove money laundering in this case?
What you fail to realise is there has to be a balance in the way they approach things.
When they breathe heavily on the necks of Nigerians, you shout RACISM. . . . .when they let things be, you accuse em of aiding n abetting.
I know of at least 3 incidents of Nigerian students having their bank accounts closed because the Banks suspected money laundering when in fact the funds were genuine. So how do you tell which is which?
Instead of y'all to clean up your acts in Nigeria, you expect the UK to do it for you.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by presido1: 2:39pm On Jul 09, 2009
hackney:

Exactly.
This shows that you know them, If you don't expose them, you are automatically part of them.

~Sauron~:

Forget about the question dude, what answer will somebody with millions of £ in cash give to justify the fund.
This is all politics but unfortunately our own politicians are too dump to understand or their hands are tired that they can't do nothing.
Illegal Chinese are everywhere even trading fake CDs as if its a normal biz but nobody says nada and the last thing you can do is to deport them cuz their Govt won't let you and they will be with you in the same flight back to UK.

If any Nigerian Criminal is court and sentenced he should serve his jail term in UK. After serving he/she can then be deported or let them make the punishment DEPORTATION should the person happen to be illegal.

Our criminal/justice system is not the same.
Let us take for instance somebody committed a crime that will bag him/her 3 yrs behind bars in UK but such offence will bag you 1 yr or 5 yrs in Nigeria or might not even be a jailable offence, who determines how many yrs that person will serve in this kind of situation.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by ezeagu(m): 2:49pm On Jul 09, 2009
Epiphany:

A waste of time and money. They should look for an uninhabited island somewhere and ship all the offenders off to the island - just like they did with what is known as Australia today!

Ehm, they did, the island is now known as Jamaica, although it wasn't uninhabited.  grin
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 2:54pm On Jul 09, 2009
presido1:

Forget about the question dude, what answer will somebody with millions of £ in cash give to justify the fund.
This is all politics but unfortunately our own politicians are too dump to understand or their hands are tired that they can't do nothing.
Illegal Chinese are everywhere even trading fake CDs as if its a normal biz but nobody says nada and the last thing you can do is to deport them cuz their Govt won't let you and they will be with you in the same flight back to UK.

When Arisekola shipped 13 kids to the UK in 1996 to study, how much do you think he paid for all of em.
Mind u, they all went to top schools like Imperial College, UMIST, Oxford, etc. . . . .
What do you think the bill woulda amounted to? Of course, they know there are rich Nigerians and that is the reason it's a difficult task distinguishing the criminals from the genuine ones.

If any Nigerian Criminal is court and sentenced he should serve his jail term in UK. After serving he/she can then be deported or let them make the punishment DEPORTATION should the person happen to be illegal.

Isn't that the case? After criminals complete their punishment, they get deported but these days. . . .the issue of human rights is now in the equation. U cannot send a criminal to his death in the name of punishing him.
Nigerians lie that they would get killed if sent to Nigeria.

Our criminal/justice system is not the same.
Let us take for instance somebody committed a crime that will bag him/her 3 yrs behind bars in UK but such offence will bag you 1 yr or 5 yrs in Nigeria or might not even be a jailable offence, who determines how many yrs that person will serve in this kind of situation.

U are not getting this. . . . .
A Nigerian criminal sent to 5 years in the UK will serve 5 years in Nigeria.
If he had spent some years in the UK, he will complete the remainder in Nigeria.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Nezan(m): 2:58pm On Jul 09, 2009
I hope the criminals will be brought back together with our stolen monies abroad
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by SamMilla1(m): 3:03pm On Jul 09, 2009
~Sauron~:

I know of at least 3 incidents of Nigerian students having their bank accounts closed because the Banks suspected money laundering when in fact the funds were genuine. So how do you tell which is which?
Instead of y'all to clean up your acts in Nigeria, you expect the UK to do it for you.

How do you justify a million dollars found inside a students account?
how much is the school fees?

Arisekola sent 13 kids to oxford, didnt he send their school funds to the schools, or did he send it to a private/one bank account?
Besides how much money do you think the whole thing amounted to?
2 million dollars i guess, for 13 students?
If they want to find the criminals , they will.
I suspect you dont live in Nigeria, and that you are priviledged to have a resident permit wherever you are.
Me too and that is why i shout on the newspapers here all the time because i am close to the people living illegally here. I like SPAIN. God bless those people. They have a plan to make getting resident permits very easy for Foreigners so they can work and stay away from drugs. Thats how to help people stay away from jail.
Not building prisons for people you caught without IDs.
It is like hell to the ordinary people. And they are coming to build a prison inside hell instead of AC.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by hackney(m): 3:17pm On Jul 09, 2009
presido1:

This shows that you know them, If you don't expose them, you are automatically part of them.

Who doesnt know them? look at this man.
Don't you know your governors ,senators and president?
You can also expose them or do you want me to tackle them to the floor?
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by JustGood(m): 3:33pm On Jul 09, 2009
We need to start making our leaders accountable. You dont expect the British government to start freezing the accounts of every rich Nigerian, do you?

Without proof of looting or embezzlement, it becomes difficult. Its up to us to make them accountable to us and then the rest of the world will help us.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 3:34pm On Jul 09, 2009
Sam Milla:

How do you justify a million dollars found inside a students account?
how much is the school fees?

It could be the funds required of him to buy a mansion in West London.

Arisekola sent 13 kids to oxford, didnt he send their school funds to the schools, or did he send it to a private/one bank account?
Besides how much money do you think the whole thing amounted to?
2 million dollars i guess, for 13 students?

More than that. . . . . . .He bought houses for them
Paid for their bills, cars, etc.

If they want to find the criminals , they will.
I suspect you dont live in Nigeria, and that you are priviledged to have a resident permit wherever you are.

If they are not finding criminals, there wouldn't be thousands of Nigerian criminals in the UK prison system.

Me too and that is why i shout on the newspapers here all the time because i am close to the people living illegally here. I like SPAIN. God bless those people. They have a plan to make getting resident permits very easy for Foreigners so they can work and stay away from drugs. Thats how to help people stay away from jail.

So you are saying Nigerians should become criminals because they the UK don't grant em resident permits?
Why can't these Nigerians go back to their country and develop it with the skills and knowledge they have acquired.
4 years students visa should be 4 years, not 25 years.

Not building prisons for people you caught without IDs.
It is like hell to the ordinary people. And they are coming to build a prison inside hell instead of AC.

I am sure you don't consider illegal migration as a crime, do u?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

PHOTO: How PHCN Should Function In A Proper And Civilised Society! / Sen. T A Orji Denies Being Booed In Abia / BREAKING!! See how God has helped Nigeria (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.