Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:14 PM

New York Times Special On Nollywood - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / New York Times Special On Nollywood (34424 Views)

Bbnaija: Bisola Wins One.org Campaigner, With A Trip To New York / Is There Anything I Have Not Written On Nollywood And Nigerian Film Industry? / The Big Weekend Show Highlights 88th Academy Awards Special On Startimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by bussieboi(m): 6:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
Am proud of nollywood

But

As a little child grows dere are some things he does at d age of two dat u permit, if he is still doing those things at d age of twelve den its getting out of hand.

Dat how i see nollywood

Sincerely, our movie content shud be more dan wat we still have, most cameras used in music videos are far far beta Dan dose used in movies, and dats just one of d many observations

That been said am some1 dats ready to go a cinema just to watch a naija bOx office movie
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by jezuzboi(m): 6:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
Great News! I love Nollywood!
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by zurine(f): 6:45pm On Feb 18, 2016
WOW
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by ybalogs(m): 6:45pm On Feb 18, 2016
Somebody should please just summarise all these epistle. Wasn't expecting it to be this long jooor
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Nobody: 6:46pm On Feb 18, 2016
Long-winded article.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by keypad1: 6:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
Tribalistic wood. Only igbo people hausa people and yoruba people sabi act film abi?

If i hear say i watch una yeye film
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by wx9Z: 6:56pm On Feb 18, 2016
Support Nollywood
Support Nigerian Cinemas
Support The Youth
Support YeYePikin Movie Blog
#BuyNaijaToGrowTheNaira
www.yeyepikin.com

1 Like

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by AfroKnight: 6:59pm On Feb 18, 2016
Exactly. This writer sabi us well. Most Nollywood movies are shot in less than a week with very fluid scripts.

I just want us to improve on professionalism. Our movies insult the intelligence of the viewers especially when it comes to special effects, sound quality and action scenes.

I cannot forget the terrible Spider Girl trailer I saw on nairaland a while ago. I was so embarrassed that such a movie originated from my country.

Let us pursue excellence now that we are a household name in Africa.

2 Likes

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by scarletpimperne: 6:59pm On Feb 18, 2016
bussieboi:
Am proud of nollywood

But

As a little child grows dere are some things he does at d age of two dat u permit, if he is still doing those things at d age of twelve den its getting out of hand.

Dat how i see nollywood

Sincerely, our movie content shud be more dan wat we still have, most cameras used in music videos are far far beta Dan dose used in movies, and dats just one of d many observations

That been said am some1 dats ready to go a cinema just to watch a naija bOx office movie

Please define a Nigerian box office movie.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by AZeD1(m): 7:00pm On Feb 18, 2016
Ecoterrorism:
Nollywood is dying because we refuse to introduce professionalism into it. Its becoming stale with its boring storylines
I'm surprised you didn't blame Buhari for this...

PS: we no dey fight oh, na just talk
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Paulonice(m): 7:04pm On Feb 18, 2016
LordVarys:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/19/world/africa/with-a-boom-before-the-cameras-nigeria-redefines-african-life.html

u will never see olu Jacobs or Pete Edoche in dis picture....I just like these men
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Ecoterrorism(f): 7:05pm On Feb 18, 2016
AZeD1:

I'm surprised you didn't blame Buhari for this...

PS: we no dey fight oh, na just talk
Leave me alone. buhari doesn't understand the English spoken in nollywood
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Nobody: 7:33pm On Feb 18, 2016
Destined2win:
I will start watching Nollywood films again when they start flooding the market with quality movies.

Have you seen "fifty"?
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by SoNature(m): 7:35pm On Feb 18, 2016
keypad1:
Tribalistic wood. Only igbo people hausa people and yoruba people sabi act film abi?

If i hear say i watch una yeye film

Stop being silly! There are many people of minority tribes that have made it big in Nollywood.

Besides whether you buy it or not, the market has already been created across African continent and beyond
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Ecoterrorism(f): 7:40pm On Feb 18, 2016
repogirl:
you really think so? There are still a few good ones out there.

Anyway if Nollywood producers entered the Nairaland lit. Section, they would find quite a few intriguing stories that deserve to be made into movies (including mine grin) but alas these producers prefer a wack a'ss script to quality content.

People will watch whatever recycled crap they keep producing anyway, so why bother paying for quality content?
A situation where a movie is shot for 2weeks tells you the quality you will get there.

I'm a fan of Kunle though aside his bigotry which makes him stupid but he is a professional to the core with his movies.

The scripts in our movies are outdated and it shows research are not done when writing it which makes the story line boring and drab. I will visit the lit section to know if I can get good writers to link them with my friend.

2 Likes

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Orikinla(m): 7:41pm On Feb 18, 2016
Ecoterrorism:
Nollywood is dying because we refuse to introduce professionalism into it. Its becoming stale with its boring storylines
. Who says Nollywood is dying? The richest man in Nigerian entertainment industry, Jason Njoku of iROKO TV is worth more than N10 billion and Afrinolly launched the largest GSM market for Nollywood. Nollywood has been reloaded!

1 Like

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by musicwriter(m): 7:41pm On Feb 18, 2016
That's what is called true independence!. When we can create our own entertainment industry(movies, music) without any need of western solution.

We also need to repeat that feat by producing everything we need, at least 80% of our needs. And most importantly, we also need to do it in education. We must create our own model of education. In fact, that's the real koko!.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by nicholausian(m): 7:42pm On Feb 18, 2016
This article is not reflective on the present Nollywood in relations to the Nigerian society today.
I do not want to make hasty generalisations, but many, no most of my friends(youths) don't watch Nollywood movies but they can all attest that their mothers are keen on it.
Following this personal observation, can I say that the teenagers and youths of today do not care much for local movies? That only the advanced people, mainly the females, waste their time on these movies?
I think yes.
Wrote all that to say, if nothing is done about the awfully scripted, terribly acted, cluelessly directed, etc, movies, it will, in the nearest future, lose its patronage, in Nigeria, at least, if not everywhere else.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Nobody: 7:42pm On Feb 18, 2016
na by volume of production abi quality of it. garbage in and out#Nollywood
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by bigiyaro(m): 7:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
Pls can somebody summarize dis epistle for me?
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by xtervaganza(m): 7:45pm On Feb 18, 2016
Lol stoopid write up. Though they praised nollywood but the article is full of crap

They said nollywood released 2500 movies last year? Molly an industry that releases no less than 100 movies a week

Abeg gerrarahia
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Orikinla(m): 7:45pm On Feb 18, 2016
Ecoterrorism:
Leave me alone. buhari doesn't understand the English spoken in nollywood
. President Muhammadu Buhari loves Kannywood. Kannywood produces 58% of Nigerian movies.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by FisifunKododada: 7:45pm On Feb 18, 2016
cool I prefer the Yoruba movies. Their scenes and dialogue are far more believable than their 'English' speaking colleagues.

1 Like

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by keypad1: 7:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
SoNature:

Stop being silly! There are many people of minority tribes that have made it big in Nollywood.

Besides whether you buy it or not, the market has already been created across African continent and beyond
bastard....watch ur useless films.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by moshoodn(m): 7:53pm On Feb 18, 2016
A single hit American Hollywood movie will gross billion of dollars, quite enough to take care of all the profits generated by Nigerian Nelly wood movies combined.

We need to look into why?

All the same, Nollywood is trying, especially, as an African influence.

Nigerian, I am.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by moshoodn(m): 7:54pm On Feb 18, 2016
A single hit American Hollywood movie will gross billion of dollars, quite enough to take care of all the profits generated by Nigerian Nollywood movies combined.

All the same, Nollywood is trying, especially, as an African influence.

Nigerian, I am.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by moshoodn(m): 7:55pm On Feb 18, 2016
A single hit American Hollywood movie will gross billion of dollars, quite enough to take care of all the profits generated by Nigerian Nollywood movies combined.

All the same, Nollywood is trying, especially as an African influence.

Nigerian, I am.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by sam90s(m): 8:15pm On Feb 18, 2016
I watched, October 1st and 50, they were great.

Destined2win:
I will start watching Nollywood films again when they start flooding the market with quality movies.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by kay29000(m): 8:16pm On Feb 18, 2016
repogirl:
you really think so? There are still a few good ones out there.

Anyway if Nollywood producers entered the Nairaland lit. Section, they would find quite a few intriguing stories that deserve to be made into movies (including mine grin) but alas these producers prefer a wack a'ss script to quality content.

People will watch whatever recycled crap they keep producing anyway, so why bother paying for quality content?

Can you write scripts too? Like screenplays? My friend and I are planning to shoot a short movie (like 25 minutes) in April...maybe we can work together. What genre do you write in?
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by figur: 8:18pm On Feb 18, 2016
I got bored watching home videos especially those types the story line revolves around kingdoms, princes and princess in love etc. Very dry.
I later discovered yoruba home videos and I have being hooked on it since then. The story lines are original, and the moral lessons aren't the ones you can forget in a hurry. I am already learning the language and the culture of the yoruba's and I really love it. So I recommend yoruba home videos for anyone who is bored of the usual english films.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija: Ilebaye, Cross Kissing Passionately In Swimming Pool (Photos) / Bbnaija Housemate Khloe Twerks For Rico (VIDEO) / 'I Hate My Life' - Beauty BBNaija Says In Throwback Video (Watch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.