Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? (7442 Views)

Poll: Should It Be?

Yes: 30% (27 votes)
No: 70% (63 votes)
This poll has ended

Should Age Difference Affect Relationships? / Can Age Be A Barrier To Love And Marriage? / Can Age Be A Barrier In A Relationship???(matured Minds Pls) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by eva2009: 10:09am On Jul 09, 2009
I'm a 49 year old woman and for the last year I've had a man who is 25 younger asking me

out. we met on a dating site ,or and so on. I am

attracted to him, but have put him off because of the age difference. But he is

persistant and will not give up. The thing with him is he seems more mature then the 30

or 40 somethings that ask me out. At least he knows what not to say. I guess I've been

into the "what will people say" and worrying about the negative comments. But now with

this I don't believe continue to run from this, it might just work out.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by ibelab(m): 12:29pm On Jul 09, 2009
For me age is just a number, just go on and try ur luck out, u never know. what people gonna say?, don,t u give a shit, it,z ya life.But be carefull, cause u don,t really know what,z on the guy mind. viel Glück.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by kdanc(m): 12:31pm On Jul 09, 2009
there is nothing wrong with that.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by switch47(m): 12:36pm On Jul 09, 2009
tHERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by sweetluvb(f): 1:00pm On Jul 09, 2009
its nt a barrier but not on dis where d age gap is much, do u know u r about his mother's age? sorry no insult meant but its d truth, u r almost or are in ur menopause by now. so please tell him it wont work. FULSTOP
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by boolet: 1:10pm On Jul 09, 2009
nothing do you, even a 15 year old would do.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by iluvdeking: 1:26pm On Jul 09, 2009
In your wildest imagination, how could you think of going out with a 25-year-old guy?? Are you out of your senses? Moreover, you are nearing meno-pause (for crying out loud). Pls dont be deceived, d guy might be up for something.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by seedord247(m): 1:33pm On Jul 09, 2009
i don't think that one should be an obstacle between lovers. since you love him and you know he love you too and understand you either so what else. all i will advise you is to pray on to God for his abundant blessing in your marriage.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by dfanthom(m): 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2009
let me say this, stop fooling each other it won't work because this fellow has folks and there's a society around you that frowns at such relationships! You cannot get married still becos the age gap is too much between both of you.
if it were just a scrotal relationship between two consenting adults, maybe yes but don't get greedy and go for more like marriage!! shocked
age is just a number but the difference should be moderate. not a 20yr old guy marrying a 65yr old woman, that's certainly not proper angry!
wish you all the best as you try to get into a more rewarding relationship. cool
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by jogunomi83(m): 1:59pm On Jul 09, 2009
No this is uncalled for, age is just number but it has to be moderate please you need to think about too well eh eh eh oh,i wont do that,not for anything.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by shubbie: 2:36pm On Jul 09, 2009
How will you feel if your son and junior brother see you with him or you do feel comfortable going out with him openly?
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by noetic2: 2:46pm On Jul 09, 2009
eva2009:

I'm a 49 year old woman and for the last year I've had a man who is 25 younger asking me

out. we met on a dating site ,or and so on. I am

attracted to him, but have put him off because of the age difference. But he is

persistant and will not give up. The thing with him is he seems more mature then the 30

or 40 somethings that ask me out. At least he knows what not to say. I guess I've been

into the "what will people say" and worrying about the negative comments. But now with

this I don't believe continue to run from this, it might just work out.

No matter what, age or no age. . . .u deserve to be happy.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by Africaine(f): 2:59pm On Jul 09, 2009
A 24 year difference, wow!!!

Dats toooooooooooooooo much,its either the guy is looking for a sugar mummy or he is up to something,
U r old enuff to be his mother,and you are probably his mother's age mate or older, biko
Let dis one slide, if not for anything,for pride and self respect.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by Emperoh(m): 3:25pm On Jul 09, 2009
[b]Poster
No matter what you think of your feelings for him.
the difference between the both of you is way too much. . . .regardless of the maturity issue you raised,
Will you be mature enough to accomodate upbraids, reprobations and likes when you invariably step above the line?
Remember, agreeing to date him automatically eliminates whatever difference between the both of you; be it age, class and or career status.

So if you can't stand seeing your child's mate mouthing words at you or saying things you won't like, pls stay clear.
Another angle is that you two being together, will bring about sharing time with his friends who will surely be within the same age bracket as him.
Also not all or rather, most of his friends won;t be as mature and understanding as he is; hence, will you be accomodating as he is towards them?
Can you stand their talks, jokes and oral jabs? Also, how will your friends take to him?

If perception to the what the society thinks matter to you, pls perish whatever thought you have of dating him right away.
People will talk, our society is not mature enough to handle older lady relationships. . . . .i am a true witness to this. the society and our people are very choosy about people they tag along with.

So ma'am pls do your ego, reputation and personality, a world of good and drop this idea like a hot potato.
You may not infact you will not like the outcome/end.

BTW have you confirmed the sincerity of purpose of this dude? He might as well be a gold digger?[/b]

1 Like

Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by Jelectric(m): 3:33pm On Jul 09, 2009
it doesnt matter @ all, u go girl!! ooops sori i mean, maam! smiley
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by Nezan(m): 3:43pm On Jul 09, 2009
ah, Sugar mummy. No spoil dat boy-o angry
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by sweetpain: 3:50pm On Jul 09, 2009
eva2009:

But now with this I don't believe continue to run from this, it might just work out.
The question is what 'might just work out' (in your statement)? If the objective is to have a discreet affair with passionate daytime trysts, I see no obstacle. Go for it.

But if on the other hand you are looking at marriage, sorry I have to say you are so lost. The relationship will buckle at the first sign of social pressure. Keep it low, keep it quiet and have fun. This kind of relationship can last a long time if properly managed. That is all the prospect it has.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by Infoseye(m): 4:00pm On Jul 09, 2009
@poster I know you are lonely and desprate for a man, look in abroad YES but naija HELL NO!!! It will never work.
He will lie to you, use you and dump you. I know what am talking about, I ve dated a woman 5years older than I am.
I lied to her, b*a*n*g her everynite even do it on her office table when not chanced togo out from here office, there was nothing I asked she did not give. Along the line I got hooked, we were all over each other I accepted her. I pretended to ask my siblings not my parents no the issue of marrying an older person they abused even almost disowned me self.
I had to quit, all the same we are friends, she has two kids for a man. But yet we still sexually attracted to each other. When she is honey or myself we satisfy each other,even she has copies of s*e*x videos of us.
@topic if want to have a fling and waste your time go ahead expect nothing positive, PLS FORGET HIM IF YOU FORCE YOURSELF ON HIM AND HE ACCEPTS, NIGERIA-YOUR HOME-TRADITION WILL REJECT YOU! Its not worth it, at least look for someone close to your age.One luv.

1 Like

Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 09, 2009
do you mean the man is 25 years old or 25 years younger than you?
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by chiejik(f): 4:16pm On Jul 09, 2009
wwwwwww
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by biola44: 4:20pm On Jul 09, 2009
this is unacceptable! angry
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by ilosiwaju: 4:36pm On Jul 09, 2009
If you both feel good about it, it should not be an obstacle.

"Break the crowd mentality"- M.I.
grin
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jul 09, 2009
@OP

Stop asking rhetorical questions!!!!!!!!!!!
Let me guess, the guy is probably from Nigerian and you're an American or European!
Run for your life. wink
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by touchmeder: 5:30pm On Jul 09, 2009
Where are both of you from. do u reside in Nigeria? has he been asking you for money as well?
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by kingkoded: 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2009
Just Two words-- DOnt DO it, and a couple more, dont do it, and a couple more, dnt**** but for real. It wud b cool if u just hung out and enjoyed each others company, gettn married or taking it any more serious will bring ya more stress than the relationship can handle, u cant break the crowd mentality on ds one, except u live on mars, or d moon, or jupiter, na pluto definitely pluto,
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jul 09, 2009
@ Poster!.

Just Know that you die first (probably) before your loved hubby lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Are u sure that guy isnt after your had earned cash. . . |?
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by tatenda: 8:17pm On Jul 09, 2009
In as much as i like younger guys, 49 versus 25 is kind of weird.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by tayoast(m): 8:24pm On Jul 09, 2009
Just drop it.

I'm even surprised u gave it a thought. 25 waaat?
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by bluespice(f): 8:28pm On Jul 09, 2009
it shouldt in a perfect world
but since we arent in utopia, it matters
in ur case u say he's how old? 24 and ur 49?
now, thats a pretty huge gap
i cant say whether u should go for it or not, but if u have kids best bring them into the mix cos their opinions count

that said, let himn be the one to initiate anything and let all talks of marriage never come up anytime soon
ur dating a child who ur old enough to be his mom quite convieniently
best tread with caution and wisdom
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 09, 2009
@topic
In certain situations, darn skippy it should
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by TheSeeker(m): 8:50pm On Jul 09, 2009
bluespice:

it shouldt in a perfect world
but since we arent in utopia, it matters
in ur case u say he's how old? 24 and ur 49?
now, thats a pretty huge gap
i cant say whether u should go for it or not, but if u have kids best bring them into the mix cos their opinions count

that said, let himn be the one to initiate anything and let all talks of marriage never come up anytime soon
ur dating a child who ur old enough to be his mom quite convieniently
best tread with caution and wisdom

Let me add to your thoughts that talking online is so different from actually meeting in person. There's a clear difference in talking and acting. We say at this end of the world that "talk is cheap". Anyone could say anything they want, but are they acting that way? Not like someone is teaching him but can his actions preach his supposed "online" maturity? I don't think so. That woman is like born in the 50's and the guy born in the 80's --- there's bound to be a conflict of ideas. Old school will always be old school, new school will always be new and millennial kids will always be millennial. Don't get it twisted. That relationship is best kept online and restrict it at that. All these people ranting it don't matter never have been in such situation before and if they have, they should recite their account on here and we will dissect it all.
Re: Should Age Be An Obstacle Between Two Lovers? by Just2s(m): 9:40pm On Jul 09, 2009
Nope, I don't think age should be a problem btw "lovers", if only u keep it @ lovers, but if a guy in his mid 20's marries a woman double his age; "WHAT" is the kinda response u'll get 4rm ppl, not to talk of the family, I kinda feel 4 u, but i'll advise u pick on smone ur size.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Are Nigerian Chics So Loud? / Please Help, My Wife Is Always Pregnant! / Nigerians React As Husband Joins Wife In An Unclad Pregnancy Photo Shoot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.