Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,093 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira (72849 Views)

What Happened To The Naira Swap / CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I / Brief History Of The Fall Of The Nigerian Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by unite4real: 10:11pm On Feb 18, 2016
The Naira has plunged more than 70% in the black market when compared to the parallel market since the Central Bank adopted its “managed float” exchange rate system that saw it introduce quasi capital controls as well as restricting the purchase and sale of forex at its official window. The widening premium between the parallel market rates and the official/interbank rates have increased the activities of speculators and round tripping further worsening the currency situation.

It’s however not just speculators who have benefited the most from the misfortunes of the naira. Several other market participants are also benefiting every single day the naira plummets against the dollar at the parallel market. We take a look at some of them;
Diaspora Nigerians

This is perhaps the best time to live and work outside Nigeria especially if your income is in dollars. Dami, a Nigerian who lives abroad reveals that she and her husband thought rather than wait till summer, they decide to visit Nigeria now that the exchange rate favours them. Sensing blood, many of them exchange their dollars in little tranches believing that today’s rate will always be cheaper than tomorrows. Some believe this is the best opportunity to buy land and houses as the value of the dollar has now risen by about 70% against the Naira while property prices have been somewhat depressed.

Commercial banks

Banks have been under pressure since the price of oil began its devastating fall in July 2014. With huge exposures to the oil and gas sector they have seen their loans increasingly become risky with borrowers missing out on their obligations. However, they have also posted massive gains from forex as can be seen in their income statements at the end of financial year 2014 and the first 9 months of 2015. Most people who purchase items online have also confirmed that banks charge them as much as N290 to the dollar even thought the CBN pegs the rate at around N199.

BDC Operators

These are perhaps the biggest benefactors of Nigeria’s forex woes. The CBN in January banned sale of forex to BDC operators accusing them of buying forex from the CBN at N199 and then selling at the black market. The CBN also noted that the BDC’s buy dollars from the CBN at N197 only to sell to their customers at N250. According to the CBN it’s no wonder that BDC have risen “from a mere 74 in 2005 to 2,786 BDCs today. In addition, the CBN receives close to 150 new applications for BDC licenses every month.”

Exporters

Businesses engaged in exports are also huge benefactors of the declining exchange rate. Revenues from their exports officially should route through the CBN as export proceeds however it is understood that some of them move a chunk of that to the black market. With gains as high as 50% most of them find it hard to resist the lure of selling their hoard at the black markets rather than at the official window.

Friends and associates of the CBN

Reports also suggest that people close to the management of the CBN or indeed the government are also befitting from the fall of the Naira. They get preferential treatment from the CBN by buying at official rates rather than at the black market rates where a lot of Nigerians go to. The CBN has also expressed its desire to sell forex to businesses it perceived are creating jobs at home rather than to cater for “irresponsible demand” which the CBN opines are what other importers of “non essential” goods and services engage in.

http://nairametrics.com/nigerians-benefiting-from-the-fall-of-the-naira/

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by smsshola(m): 10:20pm On Feb 18, 2016
U ar on point...this also ball down to our leadership who refuse to have better plan for the masses when the oil was booming, today the fall in oil price is one of the determinant factors while dollar kp dropping freely.

Now buharo shu think outside the box and do something..

All ds dollars wey we dey hear dem dey collects from looters dem no fit use them fo CBN?.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Vision4God: 10:50pm On Feb 18, 2016
Hhhmmm
Ds is so true
Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by omanifrank(m): 4:05am On Feb 19, 2016
oh
Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by richardjemedafe1(m): 4:06am On Feb 19, 2016
watch
Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by justi4jesu(f): 4:06am On Feb 19, 2016
So sad cry

1 Like

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Pavore9: 4:07am On Feb 19, 2016
Export without receiving the proceeds through CBN is the real deal! cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by steph2sweet(f): 4:07am On Feb 19, 2016
I have totally lost hope in this government, what a mess.

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Elparaiso(m): 4:07am On Feb 19, 2016
And we expect them to act?

In order to save the Naira, I have decided to stop sending money to Nigeria.

Just doing my part.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Nobody: 4:07am On Feb 19, 2016
Great analysis.

*Add PDP members

7 Likes

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by MathsChic(f): 4:08am On Feb 19, 2016
199 exists only in the wildest dreams of the Nigerian government. Truth is, the exchange rate is more or less 390 and it's falling fast...
Humans, being who we are, will always exploit situations and that doesn't exclude Nigerians.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Elparaiso(m): 4:10am On Feb 19, 2016
And we expect them to act?

APC and PDP combined are benefiting and we are here killing ourselves for them?

Nigerians, not everyone who points out a fault is a member of the opposition.

As my mother will tell me, so I will tell the Government,
"You need iron hand"

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Ayodejioak(m): 4:10am On Feb 19, 2016
"this is serious"

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by cirmuell(m): 4:11am On Feb 19, 2016
BDC should be scraped, this sh*t ain't funny anymore o angry

4 Likes

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Elparaiso(m): 4:12am On Feb 19, 2016
Ayodejioak:
Here in Yankee even if u curently have $1000 dollars, you are millionaire at home. Come to think of it I make that in a week.

Congratulations
We have heard...

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Lamexx(m): 4:13am On Feb 19, 2016
This is BUHARINOMICS. And to think that we have a Finance Minister and CBN governor. By the time it gets to NGN1,000 to a dollar, maybe Nigerians will wake up and use the CHANGE they deceived us with to pursue this govt out of Aso rock. Hope it would not be too late by then.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by PoliticalThuG(m): 4:13am On Feb 19, 2016
Next time when u hear "change", ask very well which type of change are they talking about.. I only pity my yoruba prothers who have nothing to produce apart from cocoa and cola

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by RichYoungNigger(m): 4:14am On Feb 19, 2016
This list is not complete without mentioning Nigerians living in America.
We can make $1,000 in 7 days and that's a lot of money in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by orobs93(m): 4:16am On Feb 19, 2016
steph2sweet:
I have totally lost hope in this government, what a mess.

How sweet are you?
Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Nobody: 4:17am On Feb 19, 2016
All in all....you want a strong naira.....you have to get more dollars....by diversification.
Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by chelseabmw(m): 4:18am On Feb 19, 2016
Internet Fraudsters aka Yahoo Boiz Are Smiling This Period

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by drlaykay(m): 4:18am On Feb 19, 2016
This dollar restriction policy is an interesting idea.sounds so beautiful and promising.

But only God knows how long it will take to achieve its goals.

2 Likes

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by RichYoungNigger(m): 4:19am On Feb 19, 2016
saxywale:

You, sir, are an idi.ot.

Your economy is going down and you're still defending Buhari
I wish you goodluck

43 Likes

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Nobody: 4:22am On Feb 19, 2016
RichYoungNigger:

Your economy is going down and you're still defending Buhari
I wish you goodluck
Was it Buhari that emptied the foreign reserve when a barrel of oil was trading for over $100 a barrel

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Akshow: 4:24am On Feb 19, 2016
PoliticalThuG:
Next time when u hear "change", ask very well which type of change are they talking about.. I only pity my yoruba prothers who have nothing to produce apart from cocoa and cola
mumu that cocoa is more than enough. Beside yorubas can also export palm products, bitumen, etc. So pity ursef first

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Elparaiso(m): 4:27am On Feb 19, 2016
Akshow:
mumu that cocoa is more than enough. Beside yorubas can also export palm products, bitumen, etc. So pity ursef first
He is a thug na

10 Likes

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by RichYoungNigger(m): 4:28am On Feb 19, 2016
saxywale:

Was it Buhari that emptied the foreign reserve when a barrel of oil was trading for over $100 a barrel

No.
Goodluck Jonathan stole all the money Nigeria had.
Buhari got into office and he was left with nothing.

Since, Buhari got into office, the oil price dropped drastically, and Naira fell also.

Where did Buhari get all the money he's been running his government with ??

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by Nobody: 4:29am On Feb 19, 2016
Akshow:
Abeg, help me tell am.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira by FagsamPHP(m): 4:29am On Feb 19, 2016
k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Award Under The Growth And Employment (GEM) Project / US Bank Stops Western Union Transfers To Nigeria In Aftermath Of 80 Fraud Burst? / Which Business Can I Do With N300k As A School Teacher?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.