Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? (3920 Views)

Nigerian Mothers....Always Over Protective! / Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? / Should There Be Secrecy In Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by aboveonly(m): 1:18pm On Jul 09, 2009
It is generally said that couples must tell each other everything about their past life.Is it then appriopriate for a spouse to keep the fact that he/she had before wedlock from his/her partner?If you were that spouse what would you do?
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Fhemmmy: 1:28pm On Jul 09, 2009
I think everything be4 i met you has nothing to do with you, i can chose to tell you and i can chose to keep them to myself, as long as i am not keeping them to hide away some shady past, cos sometimes, the past do have its way to come into our present and future.
However, if they can all be shared, will be aiight too, but know what you are doing before doing it, cos sometimes, some people can use that past to destroy the future, so be wise and use wise judgement
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by iice(f): 6:23am On Jul 10, 2009
If it something serious.  .  .something potentially dangerous to the relationship.
Please disclose.  People think they can keep secrets forever.  .  .unless he/she is the only one who knows, it [i]may [/i]eventually come out
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by SeanT21(f): 6:35am On Jul 10, 2009
Its very destructive.It can only be a secret for so long so you might as well just say it.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by benedictac(f): 10:09am On Jul 10, 2009
there are some secrets that are destructive like having a child and not letting ur partner know b4 hand such can be destructive. but in a situation where u were once a prostitute, drug adict etc and u have sincerely changed ever before u met ur husband (as a lady) i will say such secrets could be protective.

It is just my opinion
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by jlee(m): 10:16am On Jul 10, 2009
When there is a transparent platform between couples, there's this trust that grows amoung the couples. It allows them to know there weak points and helps strengthen them.

Although matters partaining past life are essentially need to be shared to prevent present disaster and yet there are some past issues when discussed arrowses present disaster, such matters are better keept silent.
benedictac:

[color=#000099]there are some secrets that are destructive like having a child and not letting ur partner know b4 hand such can be destructive.
I totally agree with that, such matters, as mush as it conserns you so also it concerns the child therefore any man/woman who want to marry u must be ready to marry the child too. So hiding such matters will distroy the relationship in future definitely
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Nezan(m): 11:42am On Jul 10, 2009
I think the period of courtship is enough to know all about your potential partner.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by opypumpin(m): 11:58am On Jul 10, 2009
o
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by FBS: 11:59am On Jul 10, 2009
There should be no secrets. Past or present.

1 Like

Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by clemcykul(f): 12:03pm On Jul 10, 2009
disclose the discloseables and with-hold the with-holdables.

try it, cuss it does wonders to a marriage
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jul 10, 2009
Any woman telling me what she did in her past life has nothing to do with me and our union is yarning dust.
If one craxy ex shows up and 'arranges' you, is that when it will concern me? There are other such examples.
Lets live well so we wont need to have 'secrets'. Just my opinion.
And yes, everything should be disclosed. Even if its painful. So that healing can occur.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by kay9(m): 12:09pm On Jul 10, 2009
Speaking straight, i don't think couples should have past secrets between. Having said that, i must add that some secrets should not be divulged in a hurry - like the ones benedictac's imaginative mind suggested - secrets so grievous that one is tempted not to reveal them at all. But as we all know, the past has a way of coming around and stabbing us in the back, so in the long round it is always better when our better-halves know about 'em before (pardon my french) shit hits the fan.

We all watch nollywod, right? Then i bet we're all familiar with that ever-recurring question: "But honey, WHY DID YOU NOT TELL ME??"
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by jimblaze(m): 12:27pm On Jul 10, 2009
blissieng smiley
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by UNLEASHED(m): 1:29pm On Jul 10, 2009
@ Post
No
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by bsanya(f): 1:50pm On Jul 10, 2009
tell ur partner everything he or she has to know so dat when others come to tell him/her about ur past he/she wont be surprised cos he/she is aware of it earlier on.
Dnt keep secret it destroy relationship even home
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by FFA: 2:16pm On Jul 10, 2009
WAWEMASTA, I FEEL YOUR POINT ' WE SHOULD LIVE WELL SO WE WONT NEED TO HAVE SECRETS, MAY GOD HELP US ALL(AMEN)
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by sheyee(m): 2:36pm On Jul 10, 2009
benedictac:

there are some secrets that are destructive like having a child and not letting ur partner know b4 hand such can be destructive. but in a situation where u were once a prostitute, drug adict etc and u have sincerely changed ever before u met ur husband (as a lady) i will say such secrets could be protective.

It is just my opinion

Being a prostitute or drug addict before is what should not be kept secret at all cos when it's revealed in the future, the harm might be irrepairable.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by favcom(m): 3:04pm On Jul 10, 2009
There should be nothing secret between two people who have decided to be ONE
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by jumie(f): 3:16pm On Jul 10, 2009
If you consider it a secret, then it is worth telling your spouse about!

If you do not tell your spouse, there's a possibility that your spouse will get to know somehow (its only a matter of time) and then your trust will be jeopardized! There should be no secrets in marriage.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by SegzyJoe(m): 4:11pm On Jul 10, 2009
@some secrets have the tendency of destroying all you ve laboured for, their potency sometimes may be proportionate to how long they have been kept from your spouse, so? you better tell him/her before allowing your past to destroy your today and tomorrow. The realisation that your cherished spouse could keep such things from you may undermine trust and faith, and it may affect future bonding in any relationship
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Viciyke(m): 4:20pm On Jul 10, 2009
i dont believe in secrecy in Marriage, but i think couples are entitled to tell each other what they fill necessary to tell. In other words, u tell wat is significant and keep the irrelevant ones to urself. Otherwise u might end up breaking up ur marriage. TELL WHAT U MUST TELL AND KEEP WHAT U MUST KEEP BUT KEEP UR MARRIAGE SAFE
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by biola44: 4:24pm On Jul 10, 2009
secrecy is desructive
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Echidime(m): 4:39pm On Jul 10, 2009
Why getting married in the first place if one knows he or she want to keep secret to his or her partner?

phones,email boxes,and wardropes should be accesible to your partner,unless your messing around town with another Coward lover who is not bold enough to ask for your hands in marriage before your wedded partner did.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by matiltomd(f): 7:36pm On Jul 10, 2009
secrecy in MARRIAGE can never be protective, haba, unless u still see your partner as a stranger, if one was keeping secrets from an ordinary friend,it's allowed-who cares, but my husband?hell no!!! we should share everything-and i mean everything, i must be in the know of everything about him (esp. cash, grin grin grin grin) don't mind mi jare,
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jul 10, 2009
Echidime:

Why getting married in the first place if one knows he or she want to keep secret to his or her partner?

phones,email boxes,and wardropes should be accesible to your partner,unless your messing around town with another Coward lover who is not bold enough to ask for your hands in marriage before your wedded partner did.

Stop being ignorant.
I think people who let their spouses check their emails should stop that nonsense. People who send you mails will not know that you and your spouse share emails. What if someone sends a mail to you that implicates your spouse without any ill intentions. The person then automatically becomes your spouses' enemy.
Not everything needs to be exposed. Everyone has/should have secrets.
Secrets don't have to be bad. As long as it does not harm your spouse in any way, you are not compelled to reveal all.
The day you stop having secrets is the day you die.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by loyeruope: 7:53pm On Jul 10, 2009
It is hard, even foolhardy, to give an answer that will be applicable to all cases. In human affairs, there will always be exceptions and situations must be judged on a case-by-case basis.
Having said that, I will say it depends on what kind of information I am withholding and how forgiving I think my spouse is. Some people just don't have the gift of forgiveness. Some events are dead and need not be awakened others have subsided but some unfortunate circumstances may arouse them to catastrophic proportions so it may be wiser to provide a disclaimer ahead of time.
So my answer is:
It depends on:
1. The kind of information.
2. The perceived maturity of my spouse.
3. The number of people who knew the information.
4. The characteristic of people who knew the information.
5. If the information is a pattern of behavior or an isolated incident.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Sissy3(f): 10:14pm On Jul 10, 2009
i think it depends on the kinda secret
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by arogbowei: 10:16pm On Jul 10, 2009
No secrets. Come clean to avoid wahala in future.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by emekagh(m): 10:47pm On Jul 10, 2009
I think 'material' secrets could be shared, not all the gory details of the other person 'regrettable' past.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by neeyee(m): 10:52pm On Jul 10, 2009
No secrets. Come clean to avoid wahala in future.

I support
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by spoilt(f): 11:44pm On Jul 10, 2009
I've told my husband everything. Just edited versions! grin
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by kolaxy(m): 12:03am On Jul 11, 2009
The most painful thing a man or woman(married) can do to themselves is to keep their 'secret' past from eachother.The longer you keep it secret,the more your heart gets burnt and it's not worth it.Life is too short.You dont have to feel guilty anytime you 'flashback' to your past.We are only human and we all have 'our' past.So, just as you cannot keep secret from yourself, so also you shouldnt keep any secret from your spouse cos the two of you have become one just like someone rightly said.My own opinion wink wink smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ever Wished You Were Married To Someone Else? / Ladies Would You Want To Know About This? / Photos: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Marries 28 Year Old Man In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.